Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Household debt good. Government debt satanic evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

cowofwar posted:

Went for a hike starting up at the top of British Properties. Lots of oversized ugly stucco houses clearly not maintained and with missing roof tiles or plastic covering sections. Hilarious.

Why not just hold the land? Why build an ugly poo poo mansion and then let it fall apart?

Brothers creek trail?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Vancouver City Council voting on some measures to increase rental supply in Vancouver by using rental only zoning and expanding the amount of areas where multi-unit rental buildings are allowed.

quote:

Four-storey apartment buildings could replace houses on more Vancouver side streets

Many side streets dominated by detached houses in residential neighbourhoods throughout Vancouver could soon be opened up to four-storey apartment buildings.

Next week, council will consider a staff report containing recommendations for enhancing the city’s policies for boosting construction of purpose-built rental housing. With Vancouver’s persistently low vacancy rates and rising rents, senior staff and most city councillors have emphasized the importance of increasing the supply of both non-profit and market rental homes.

The 236-page report includes 10 recommendations from staff, including supporting repairs of old buildings, making it easier to build six-storey, mixed-use buildings on main streets and allowing four-storey apartment buildings on side streets in previously low-density residential areas.

Mayor Kennedy Stewart, who campaigned last year on a platform of dramatically increasing rental housing production, said the report is “a very good effort by staff to give us their best policy ideas on how we can add thousands of more rental units, all over the city in different neighbourhoods.”

More than 60 per cent of Vancouver’s current rental housing stock was built between 1950 and 1980, after which time the local construction market largely focused on condos and houses, housing types that are now unaffordable for many Vancouverites. Vancouver city staff say incentives are required to encourage the private sector to build rentals instead of strata projects, and a staff report in July said Vancouver’s policies in the last decade have helped turn the tide and boost rental construction. Still, though, the city lags far behind its own targets.

Mixed-use buildings, with commercial space on the ground floor and rental apartments above, currently line many of the city’s main streets. But the new report recommends “pre-zoning” to allow such projects to be built without a public hearing and rezoning process, which staff estimates could shave a year off the timeline.

Another change would allow four-storey rental apartment or townhouse buildings in “low-density transition areas” — defined as residential blocks within 150 metres from an arterial street. Some Vancouver neighbourhoods, such as Kitsilano and Mount Pleasant, already include many such buildings off of arterial streets. But the proposed change would open up many more parts of Vancouver to these buildings, including much of the less-dense southern half of the city, on both the east and west sides.

Asked if he expects some homeowners and neighbourhood associations might object to apartment buildings on side streets, Stewart said: “I think it’s something to digest. But all of us on council say we’re in the middle of a housing crisis, and if you’re in a crisis, you have to do something new.

“There’s a lot to consider, but in the end, if we pass this, we’ll really be doing what the public wants, which is to build more rental housing,” said Stewart, reached Thursday by phone in Ottawa, where he’s meeting with federal leaders.

But city policies aimed at boosting rental housing have often been met with fierce opposition from some residents. One program, the Moderate Income Rental Housing Pilot Project, or MIRHPP, has already generated controversy and neighbourhood opposition before a single building has been approved.

MIRHPP would allow developers to build larger rental buildings in exchange for securing a certain number of permanently affordable homes, and the new staff report recommends extending the program.

While some homeowners have opposed the MIRHPP proposals and at least one councillor, NPA Coun. Colleen Hardwick, has already openly criticized the program, others, including the mayor, have hailed it as the city’s best chance to build “workforce housing.”

The city selected 20 developments for the pilot project, 10 of which have submitted rezoning applications so far. The buildings range from five storeys to 28, and represent a total of 1,162 rental homes. The first proposals are expected to come before council by the end of this year.

The rental policy report is on the agenda for Tuesday’s council meeting.

Plenty of reasons for plenty of groups to hate on this. The NIMBYs will hate any and all attempts of intruding apartment buildings into single family home areas, while the activist left will hate on this expansion of programs which give money to developers to incentivize them to build a rental building instead of a condo.

I have no idea how this vote is going to go, but it would be a remarkable city wide development if this passes.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

Decent reddit thread on why everything about affordable housing (for legit poor people) sucks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/e1bere/it_took_six_months_to_evict_this_tenant_his

(Landlord shouldn't own units this crappy either, burn it down and build something nice that costs 3-4x already.)

Just so I am understanding right, your point wasn't that the tenant in the OP isn't garbage and its the landlords fault, but that the discussion in the thread later from other landlords illustrates inherent problems in the system?

Because drat the OP there seems like a really bad example when we are trying to say its always the landlords fault.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Vancouver City Council voting on some measures to increase rental supply in Vancouver by using rental only zoning and expanding the amount of areas where multi-unit rental buildings are allowed.

Plenty of reasons for plenty of groups to hate on this. The NIMBYs will hate any and all attempts of intruding apartment buildings into single family home areas, while the activist left will hate on this expansion of programs which give money to developers to incentivize them to build a rental building instead of a condo.

I have no idea how this vote is going to go, but it would be a remarkable city wide development if this passes.

This is actually pretty good. It is a bit annoying how the article doesn't actually define "side streets" until about halfway through. The lede makes it sound like they're allowing four-storey buildings everywhere, not "in a 150m zone around main roads".

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is actually pretty good. It is a bit annoying how the article doesn't actually define "side streets" until about halfway through. The lede makes it sound like they're allowing four-storey buildings everywhere, not "in a 150m zone around main roads".

Four story residential or mixed buildings should be the default zoning for all land between the Burrard Inlet and Fraser River. Having giant swaths of the lower mainland being SFHs full of retired boomers is choking the city economically. Neither my work nor that of my wife is able to hire effectively since everyone looking for a job lives south of the Fraser. The city is also spending massive amounts of money to move around services and infrastructure since the family dense areas are now all childless households.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 27, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The zoning changes will just drive up land values. If you don't care about that and only care about unit counts, fair enough, but high land value means high unit cost and the cycle perpetuates.

Concentrating all the offices at the tip of a peninsula is the mistake and it's not one people need to make. Your staff retention is higher when you're out on the fringes and are one of very few "close to home" options for your employees who will indeed relocate to minimize their commutes over time.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For sure there are industries that need those near proximity clusters, but for others in the worst case you can put the handful of staff who need it in a separate location. Most don't.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

This was the most baffling part of the recent Surrey decision to abandon a local LRT in exchange for running a Skytrain extension to Langley.

Surrey should absolutely be attempting to be a second downtown, and would probably become the primary one in my lifetime. Instead they opted for status quo and making Langley's commute to downtown better.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

James Baud posted:

The zoning changes will just drive up land values. If you don't care about that and only care about unit counts, fair enough, but high land value means high unit cost and the cycle perpetuates.

Concentrating all the offices at the tip of a peninsula is the mistake and it's not one people need to make. Your staff retention is higher when you're out on the fringes and are one of very few "close to home" options for your employees who will indeed relocate to minimize their commutes over time.

Rezoning only boosts land values if you slowly mete out the changes. If you mass rezone there isn’t enough demand to inflate the values to that extent. It might cause outer areas to lose value while inner ones appreciate.

I’ll advise my wife’s hospital and UBC to relocate further out. Lots of businesses need specialized buildings that aren’t available further out. We spent a year looking and ended up keeping our lab space at UBC and moving the rest of the non lab people to another site but both are still too inconvenient to reach from the sky trains.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Haven't seen an article about it yet but remarkably it seems like all those various zoning changes passed!

To my eye the policy looks designed a bit like the duplex policy in that it's explicitly designed not to spike land values and induce a wave of demolitions, but rather to simply provide another alternative for persons that find themselves holding a marginal land value only lot. We'll see what happens.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Empty home tax going up!

Vancouver hikes empty homes tax by 25 per cent

quote:

Vancouver city council has approved a 25 per cent increase to its empty homes tax.

The vacancy tax, which was set at one per cent when approved in 2016, was brought in as a measure to return empty or underused properties to boost the city’s rental housing stock.

During his 2018 election campaign, Mayor Kennedy Stewart supported tripling the tax rate to three per cent, arguing the city needed to take tough measures to fight speculation and protect the Vancouver housing market from global financial forces and speculators.

On Wednesday, however, the mayor and council approved a more modest increase, boosting the tax rate to 1.25 per cent in 2020.

In a report to council, city staff advised against a big tax hike.

“Experts also strongly cautioned that an increase in EHT rate at this stage would likely increase the potential for noncompliance and evasion, particularly for properties that are also paying the new provincial speculation tax,” the report said.

Stewart’s motion to amend the vacancy tax bylaw did contain a provision for additional 25 per cent increases in both 2021 and 2022.

“I’m pleased that council supported my call for a phased increase to the empty homes tax of 25 per cent each year for the next three years,” Stewart said in a news release. “While the ultimate goal is to add more pressure on empty homes to be filled, any additional revenues will now be used to provide housing for Vancouver’s most vulnerable residents.”

Since the empty homes tax was launched in the 2016, city hall has collected nearly $40 million in tax revenue to fund several affordable housing initiatives.

According to council’s 2018 empty tax report, there were 1,989 properties declared vacant last year, compared to 2,538 in 2017.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

25% on 1% to 1.25%.

gently caress off. Make it 25%. God drat these useless loving feet dragging do-nothing politicians. City staff warned if the tax went up too high it might result in non-compliance? Then have brutal fines for non-compliance, make the fines so high people lose their properties. Make the fines so high the city salivates at the idea of someone trying to dodge the tax.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Baronjutter posted:

25% on 1% to 1.25%.

gently caress off. Make it 25%. God drat these useless loving feet dragging do-nothing politicians. City staff warned if the tax went up too high it might result in non-compliance? Then have brutal fines for non-compliance, make the fines so high people lose their properties. Make the fines so high the city salivates at the idea of someone trying to dodge the tax.

Yes. I'd also like the city to make rental restrictions by stratas a thing of the past. It's absolutely ridiculous that in current year Vancouver a person with an apartment or condo who wants to rent it out cannot because of their strata.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yes. I'd also like the city to make rental restrictions by stratas a thing of the past. It's absolutely ridiculous that in current year Vancouver a person with an apartment or condo who wants to rent it out cannot because of their strata.

Stratas are the worst form of governance known to man. All the restrictions of renting, with all the costs of owning. People do this because why?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, make the fine for non-compliance civil forfeiture of the asset. See how fast people pay that tax.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

McGavin posted:

Yeah, make the fine for non-compliance civil forfeiture of the asset. See how fast people pay that tax.

It is a municipal property tax isn’t it? Seizure of the asset should already baked into non-payment.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Probably hit bottom in the Vancouver SFH space? RIP CI's dreams of a $500k SFH.

quote:

Five bids for Vancouver Special amid fevered market
Asking price: $1.225 million
Selling price: $1.260 million

Listing agent Ian Watt received five offers, all conditional. The house sold five days after listing, but because it was an estate sale and had to clear probate, the deal didn’t close until much later.

The buyers are a young family. “It’s a narrow lot and the place needs work,” he says. “But the Vancouver Specials are very sought after, because you can do anything you want with them, they are kind of hip. There’s a lot of opportunity with that space.”

“Local money is on fire right now,” Mr. Watt says. “Definitely the under $1.2-million market is really busy. People want to buy because they’ve noticed that we’ve hit the bottom. Buyers know they’ve already dropped 10 per cent and they won’t go down anymore.”

That's your housing bubble bursting. Down 10%.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Realtors have been declaring the bottom for months now. There was always a group of people in a position to buy who were waiting to see prices come down a bit. That local money they’re referencing to is not near so big a pool as the foreign money is. It’s going to dry up and then the market will slow again.

I have a hard time taking the word of people who’s job it is to sell houses to say this is the right time to buy. Especially a group as sleazy as realtors.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
And when this capital bump dries up?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I recall being mocked by CI for stating that there was "pent up demand" that would keep the bubble afloat but yeah that's exactly what we're seeing. "Under housed" upper class people have been cooling their heels in condos for the last few years because they were priced out of SFHs, but now not only do they have the savings from those years, but also the equity they've built in those condos that they can leverage. All of those people grasping for anything that falls down to that sub $1.2M price point is keeping prices aloft.

As for foreign investors well those are no where to be found which is why all those mansions in West Van are in free fall.

What happens next is anyone's guess. Rich millennials are likely to keep non-teardowns above $1.1M for a while. How long will it take for everyone else with established SFH equity to shuffle around and take advantage of those declining West Van properties? I have no idea.

In not too long boomers start dying in droves and then the entire dynamic is going to be up in the air as incredible wealth pours into the pockets of millennials that are currently priced out of the market.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I feel like there’s a not so hidden land mine just sitting around ready to blow up as that mine’s name is the HELOC. How many properties are going to be leveraged to the point where people just can’t sell them at the price point they should be valued at because they need to repay all the loans, HELOCs, second mortgages, and god knows what else?

Boomers are going to start passing on and I feel like their estates aren’t nearly so tidy as everyone is expecting. How much value is entirely on paper and inflated by equity loans that must be repaid when the asset is sold?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Number19 posted:

I feel like there’s a not so hidden land mine just sitting around ready to blow up as that mine’s name is the HELOC. How many properties are going to be leveraged to the point where people just can’t sell them at the price point they should be valued at because they need to repay all the loans, HELOCs, second mortgages, and god knows what else?

Boomers are going to start passing on and I feel like their estates aren’t nearly so tidy as everyone is expecting. How much value is entirely on paper and inflated by equity loans that must be repaid when the asset is sold?

I completely agree, but I think we're still a ways from that? Boomers are getting close to the end of their lives but they still have a ways to go before they start passing away en masse. People cling to assets if they don't absolutely have to sell them, so maybe it'll be a slow taper of the estates hitting the market, as opposed to a drop?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I completely agree, but I think we're still a ways from that? Boomers are getting close to the end of their lives but they still have a ways to go before they start passing away en masse. People cling to assets if they don't absolutely have to sell them, so maybe it'll be a slow taper of the estates hitting the market, as opposed to a drop?

True, but there's a whole pack of boomers who's whole retirement portfolio is rental properties because they don't trust the stock market. My aunt is one, and she justified it by saying that when all the boomers retire then them selling their stocks at once will make the stock market crater, but she somehow didn't consider that the exact same thing is true for housing stock but much more so. Good thing she's got a public sector pension.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Femtosecond posted:

In not too long boomers start dying in droves and then the entire dynamic is going to be up in the air as incredible wealth pours into the pockets of millennials that are currently priced out of the market.

That's really the crux of it. I feel like within my lifetime home ownership is gonna become near entirely correlated with inheriting a windfall from your parents property value, if it isn't there already.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Square Peg posted:

True, but there's a whole pack of boomers who's whole retirement portfolio is rental properties because they don't trust the stock market. My aunt is one, and she justified it by saying that when all the boomers retire then them selling their stocks at once will make the stock market crater, but she somehow didn't consider that the exact same thing is true for housing stock but much more so. Good thing she's got a public sector pension.

Estates are going to have to start unloading this stuff for whatever they can get in order to untangle all the assets that have equity loans against them that must be resolved in order to do a proper liquidation. At this point it's entirely possible that lawyers and accountants are going to eat up a lot of the value gains that holding all those properties made simply from the fees needed to pull the web apart.

I know some people in this position have been starting to slowly do this as they retire but I'm willing to bet there's still a lot of "I deserve a new BMW every year" people who are going to ride that mentality straight into their coffins.

e: I would be very curious to see exactly how many people that are retired or are close to retirement who have significant equity in their homes locked up in loans. I bet it's a pretty alarming amount.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Square Peg posted:

How correlated even is the stock market to investments by actual people? I thought most of it was a giant human centipede of corporations owning each other. Investments by us mere mortals are just along for the ride.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
How many boomers are gonna die with years or even decades of deferred property taxes too lmao

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

How correlated even is the stock market to investments by actual people? I thought most of it was a giant human centipede of corporations owning each other. Investments by us mere mortals are just along for the ride.

Yeah her argument is nonsense. Maybe if every non-billionaire boomer totally cashed out all their retirement investments all at once it would make some waves, but that wouldn't make any sense.

Good thing you can just sell bits of houses at a time!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Not much at all:

https://www.pionline.com/article/20170425/INTERACTIVE/170429926/80-of-equity-market-cap-held-by-institutions

And keep in mind of those 20% of retail investors, most are just using mutual funds through their banks/brokerages, getting ripped off while doing so, and really have no idea what's going on in the details.

Over represented here so it's easy to forget, but it's actually super rare for someone to be balancing their own portfolio with broad market ETFs and whatnot.

leftist heap posted:

How many boomers are gonna die with years or even decades of deferred property taxes too lmao

The general theme of the generation has been "salt the Earth and gently caress you" so expect every last penny to be spent keeping them alive to 120 years looking and acting like Emperor Palpatine.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Oh and also most of the Canadian mutual funds the banks push are like 80% Canadian companies.

BCE, CP, TU, CTC, oh my!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

leftist heap posted:

Oh yeah add this to the pile as well. Everyone is expecting to get full value out of their homes but they don't appear to have considered fully who will be able to pay for it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Number19 posted:

Oh yeah add this to the pile as well. Everyone is expecting to get full value out of their homes but they don't appear to have considered fully who will be able to pay for it.

As of 2013, the 80th percentile for household income in Vancouver was about 240k, and in Toronto it was just shy of 300k. That's probably climbed at least 10% higher by now.

At these interest rates, there are thus plenty of people who can afford the 1-2m dollar single family homes, especially when you consider that the number of them out there continues to shrink as they're lost to multifamily redevelopment.

I can't remember the exact number of SFHs around, but I suspect there are around twice as many people earning that much as it would take to fill them all up.

So if you take the somewhat common belief that, post-2009, interest rates are never going to "normalize" after all; and decide that the bottom really is in, you'll definitely be able to get your capital back from another buyer later in the long run (subject to climate apocalypse), so what the heck, buy away. Your net worth rises by nearly half of your mortgage payment right from day one.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

How much is a $1000000 mortgage payment? $4000/month?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

half cocaine posted:

How much is a $1000000 mortgage payment? $4000/month?

25 year amortization at 2.69% (I've got friends renewing who are being offered this or better without negotiating), 1m mortgage (ie, 20% down on 1.25m property) monthly payment = 4392, biweekly = 2026.

At a 30% debt service ratio that's 14,640 income per month or "perfectly fine" (room to spare!) on a household income of 175,680 per year. That pesky stress test everybody whines about makes qualifying a bit harder though.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

James Baud posted:

25 year amortization at 2.69% (I've got friends renewing who are being offered this or better without negotiating), 1m mortgage (ie, 20% down on 1.25m property) monthly payment = 4392, biweekly = 2026.

At a 30% debt service ratio that's 14,640 income per month or "perfectly fine" (room to spare!) on a household income of 175,680 per year. That pesky stress test everybody whines about makes qualifying a bit harder though.

Do your friends all have defined benefit pensions? Or is the theory that they don't need to save any money because their 2 million dollar houses will be worth 8 million in 30 years?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

After taxes that 14k is what, 9k a month? Are your friends all DINKs?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

half cocaine posted:

After taxes that 14k is what, 9k a month? Are your friends all DINKs?

Probably the sort of people that are considering taking a 25 year mortgage in their mid to later 40s.

They probably also have a separate and unrelated retire at 55 plan.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

As of 2013, the 80th percentile for household income in Vancouver was about 240k, and in Toronto it was just shy of 300k. That's probably climbed at least 10% higher by now.

Your numbers are nonsense.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/dv-vd/inc-rev/index-eng.cfm

80th percentile for individuals in Vancouver CMA is $68K. Doubling that for two incomes gets you to $140K. Nowhere near your $240K household income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Maybe around 2015 or however many years ago when I started reading this thread, I fully bought into the notion that Vancouver didn't have a 'real' economy and was just a bubble of FIRE endlessly selling houses back and forth and jr miner grifters, however, in the last few years it feels more and more that Vancouver is legitimately developing an economy of real value.

quote:

Amazon’s Vancouver expansion tripling in size with deal to occupy city’s largest downtown office space

Amazon.com Inc. is undertaking a major expansion in Vancouver with a deal to occupy the largest block of office space in the city’s core.

The e-commerce giant will take up an entire city block by leasing two new office towers currently under construction in a development called The Post, named for its location on the site of Vancouver’s old post office. That will make Amazon the dominant corporate tenant in Vancouver and provide space for thousands of high-paying technology jobs that will boost the city’s economy.

Seattle-based Amazon initially agreed to lease 35 per cent of the space in the two new office towers. Now, it will lease both office buildings, according to people with knowledge of the matter, tripling its footprint to 1.1-million square feet. The Globe and Mail granted the sources anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

A spokeswoman for Amazon declined to comment.

This deal marks Amazon’s first sizable corporate expansion in Canada since February, when it abandoned plans to build a second headquarters in Queens, New York. After backing away there, Amazon said it would create office hubs in northern Virginia and Tennessee, and grow across its 17 corporate offices and tech centres in the U.S. and Canada.

The e-commerce company has offices in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, as well as distribution warehouses across the country.

In Vancouver, it is currently using just over 300,000 square feet, according to commercial realtors. It employs more than 1,000 engineers and researchers who work on e-commerce and Amazon Web Services, according to the most recent data from Amazon. The company has said it plans to grow to 5,000 corporate employees in Vancouver.

It is unknown if the additional space in The Post means Amazon will further bolster its workforce. An office property with 1.1-million square feet can house 10,000 employees, industry experts estimate.

The Post buildings, at 21-storeys and 22-storeys, will be the city’s largest new office complex and are due to open in 2022 and 2023. QuadReal, a real estate company owned by B.C.'s pension fund, is developing the old post office, which will include 200,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor.

QuadReal declined to comment this week.

The Amazon deal is larger than others announced by tech companies recently. In Vancouver, mobile gaming company Kabam agreed late last year to lease 105,000 square feet and Microsoft Canada agreed to take 69,400, according to a report from commercial realtor CBRE.

It will also dwarf other corporate tenants once The Post is built. Vancouver has traditionally been home for natural resources companies and satellite offices for big financial institutions like RBC. But financial services firms have scaled back, and the typical law firm uses about 60,000 square feet, according to realtors.

Meanwhile, the growth of tech companies and flexible office company WeWork has driven office vacancy rates to a record low, sent rental rates soaring and spurred nearly 20 new office developments.

10,000 people earning 6 figure salaries is a lot of real estate money.

If WeWork or some other sham company was moving into this space that'd be one thing, but Amazon isn't some fly by night operation that's gonna go away. People may have finally clued into the fact that Hootsuite was all hype, but aside from that tech companies like Microsoft and Kabam have quietly become big operations employing hundreds of people. Add onto this we have Lululemon building a big new global HQ in the False Creek Flats.

All this means that while back in 2016 the bubble may have been built by yolo hype, helocs and foreign cash, we're transitioning to a point where there's actually gonna be enough high income earners around to justify the lofty condo prices that we've become used to.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 30, 2019