Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do terminator arms look stupid and out of scale on regular marine bodies, and vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goose willis posted:

Do terminator arms look stupid and out of scale on regular marine bodies, and vice versa?

No they look completely fine. Especially normal marine arms on terminators.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Stephenls posted:

So hypothetical Necron refresh.

A bit ago I said that the force opposite space marines in the next edition's starter box would fit three criteria:

1) Obvious bad guys, so not Eldar.
2) "Cool-looking" in a somewhat conventional way that would draw eyes to the cover of the boxed set in game stores, so not hot pink hair metal marines even though I'd love it if they did launch a new edition starring Ultramarines vs. hot pink hair metal marines.
3) Poorly served by the existing model range, so existing fans would get excited.

And then I turned around and said "So probably Orks or World Eaters, and not Necrons because even though their model range is old they look fine really." Which was a dumb thing to say.

Necrons as they currently stand don't have enough good HQs in plastic, but the HQs they do have are decent sculpts. The Canoptek constructs are fine, the vehicles are fine, Immortals/Deathmarks and Praetorians/Lychguard are fine. Honestly a lot of their model range is perfectly cromulent.

Destroyers kinda suck, and a new kit that lets you make them into Destroyer Lords without using a resin upgrade kit would be welcome. Flayed Ones are resin and suck. C'Tan Shards are resin and are also miserable, and are begging for a CAD plastic re-release on the scale of at least the Yncarne/new Abbadon or possibly Nagash.

Necron Warriors deserve some sort of award for Worst Plastic Basic Troops Kit That Isn't Actually Bad. Unlike the old Chaos Space Marines they look fine when assembled, but they're super spindly, their contact points are too small, and whoever designed that mold so the runners between the sprue and the heads connect at the interior of their concave cheeks did a bad thing.

So... yeah, Necron model refresh making use of the best of their current release line, but with new troops, a few brand new units here and there, and a new big centerpiece C'Tan Shard feels like it makes a lot of sense for a new edition's starring villains.

I sliced my hand open scraping those damned cheekbones, and then proceeded to glue arms on randomly, not realizing there were only 3 arm pairs. I have some sad Necrons.

I agree, Necrons would be in pretty good shape model-wise with a few key updates. Brace yourself, rumors are saying you're getting a Szeras resculpt. Enjoy!

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Points wise think orkz are close to where they need to be.

Units I think need significant cuts:
1. HQs: Mech with KFF & Wartrike,
2. Pain boys and nob with banner
3. The new buggies

Units I think need modest point cuts:
1. Bikes, both types
2. Trucks
3. Burners

Units I think need teeny tiny point cuts:
1. Tankbustas
2. All the walkers

Units I think need tiny point increases:
1. Looters
2. Helicopters
3. Mechs (elites)
Edit: 4. Smasha guns

I didn't realize a Nob with Banner costs more than a warboss if you put the PK on there until last night. That's just silly.

I'd also add the Bubble Chukka to the "needs massive points reduction" pile. Even if you roll straight 6s its not good because lol S6 on artillery. The fact it is there second most expensive Mek Gun boggles the mind.

And don't you dare take my cheap rokkit koptas away from me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Necron armies should get escalating AP if they focus fire on a target and land hits or wounds on it, as the Gauss strips layers of armor off. So you can tag something with a bigger weapon and then work down the chain until your Warriors can work off the last few wounds, or land mass fire with Warriors and hope to get a few lucky hits to make your bigger weapons more effective.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Interesting. Adding a 1mm spacer at the waist doesn't seem to meaningfully distort his proportions and, together with mounting his head up and back a bit instead of hunched forward in the provided hollow (which adds another 0.5mm) brings him about up to par with a MkIV -- note that the 25mm base is thinner than the 32. That said, the head being that far up does look a bit weird; I probably want to mount it a bit further down, if not as far down as the default.

Head at the bottom was planned replacement head for the default scout one, but honestly done this way the default one looks fine. Be nice not to have to source additional marine rebreather helmets.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Are wave serpents balanced at their current?

How many point cuts would be needed to make Fire Dragons competitive?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Deleter posted:

Necron armies should get escalating AP if they focus fire on a target and land hits or wounds on it, as the Gauss strips layers of armor off. So you can tag something with a bigger weapon and then work down the chain until your Warriors can work off the last few wounds, or land mass fire with Warriors and hope to get a few lucky hits to make your bigger weapons more effective.

the trait for The Purge could work (rerolls on units already wounded in the shooting phase) and adding rerolls to balance armies seems to be a current GW strategy

what I'd like to see most for Necrons is a revamped WBB/reanimation protocol rule that can't be negated by focus firing on one squad at a time, maybe being able to pay 2 or 3 cp to redeploy a unit that was destroyed the previous turn or something like that

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

The Deleter posted:

I like this idea to make warriors and immortal gauss relevant. Like for every 10 hits landed by flayers, AP goes up by one or something.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Deleter posted:

That’s a novel and flavorful idea!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I need a new creative hobby soon and was thinking of trying out some miniature painting.
I've always liked the WH40k aesthetic when i have seen the boxes in nerd stores though i have never played the game or really read anything about it.

While i have no plans to ever play the game i'd like that whatever i paint belong to the same army, but its a bit of a challenge for someone entirely new to this universe to know whats what, what belongs together etc.
There are so many categories in the Games Workshop webshop (where i have done my browsing and day dreaming so far) e.g. under the "Armies of Chaos" category there are Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Knights, Death Guard and Thousand Sons. Are all these the same faction, e.g Chaos, or are these 5 separate factions? Do these belong together in the same army or is that a big no-no? Can they play against each other or will every game be 2 out of Imperium/Chaos/Xenos against eachother?

The same line of questions applies to Tyranids; they are under the Xenos Armies category but it doesn't really seem like many of the categories here belong together (unlike the Chaos categories which does seem to belong together)
Im really confused by the fact that "Genestealer Cults" and "Tyranids" are 2 separate categories, as genestealers ARE tyranids?

Some quick TL;DR on this topic would be appreciated.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Theres a lot of venn diagrams going on but in short every one of the armies on the games workshop store is a seperate army theres just alot of overlap going on. Like primaris intercessors can be used in "core" space marines as well as dark angels, blood angels, space wolves and deathwatch.

In general, all imperium armies can team up. Same with chaos. I dont want to get too into the nitty gritty because you said youre not interested in playing at the moment.

Xenos are a little more complicated. Eldar (harlequins, craftworld/asuryani and dark eldar/drukhari) are seperate armies but can ally. Orks, necrons and tau are all standalone. Tyranids can ally with genestealer cults. To elaborate further on that the confusion comes from decades of fluff and retcons but genestealers are tyranid/human hybrids who prepare the ground work so a hive fleet can invade. It wasn't always this way and it was retconned in hence them being seperate armies. Theyve remained seperate because some people like the giant bug side and others like the insurgent guerilla fighter side and theyre too different to completely fold together.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 27, 2019

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ineptitude posted:

There are so many categories in the Games Workshop webshop (where i have done my browsing and day dreaming so far) e.g. under the "Armies of Chaos" category there are Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Knights, Death Guard and Thousand Sons. Are all these the same faction, e.g Chaos, or are these 5 separate factions? Do these belong together in the same army or is that a big no-no? Can they play against each other or will every game be 2 out of Imperium/Chaos/Xenos against eachother?

Think of them as subfactions of the general faction Chaos. Storywise, some thing go very well together, such as the various forms of Chaos Space Marines (including the ones who receive special models like Death Guard and Thousand Sons) and Chaos Daemons. What would not go well together at all is a combination such as Death Guard and Thousand Sons. These (sub-)factions worship different chaos gods, and these chaos gods are known for their in-fighting.

For actual games (outside people focusing on the narrative element), it is extremely common for e.g. Imperial armies to clash.
[/quote]

Ineptitude posted:

The same line of questions applies to Tyranids; they are under the Xenos Armies category but it doesn't really seem like many of the categories here belong together (unlike the Chaos categories which does seem to belong together)
Im really confused by the fact that "Genestealer Cults" and "Tyranids" are 2 separate categories, as genestealers ARE tyranids?

Xenos is just an umbrella term for filthy alien races. The different species of alien have nothing to do with each other (though there are subfactions of the Eldar, for example) - unlike the forces of Chaos.
As for Genestealer Cults and Tyranids: Yes, they're related and might show up as allies, but they can work independently in game terms.

TL;DR: The categories on the online store more accurately reflect whether certain (sub-)factions have received a certain degree of attention when it comes to having their own line of models and rules, rather than clear-cut affiliations in terms of lore.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

I need a new creative hobby soon and was thinking of trying out some miniature painting.
I've always liked the WH40k aesthetic when i have seen the boxes in nerd stores though i have never played the game or really read anything about it.

While i have no plans to ever play the game i'd like that whatever i paint belong to the same army, but its a bit of a challenge for someone entirely new to this universe to know whats what, what belongs together etc.

There are three big divisions in 40k:

1. Imperium--these guys are all "on the same side" but are different armies.
2. Chaos--these guys all share roughly the same goal, which is to smash the imperium, and so are "on the same side" but are different armies.
3 Xenos--these are a diverse group of aliens who are neither Imperium nor Chaos nor on the same side as one another. they are again, all different armies.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ineptitude posted:

Fluff-wise Chaos is split into four factions, one per god (Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Khorne), who work together sometimes but not always. Chaos Knights, Demons, and Space Marines are all books that can be used to build armies for each of the four gods (Or just "Chaos" in general), while Death Guard and Thousand Sons are armies for the gods Nurgle and Tzeentch, respectively. As for Xenos, they're not really a faction, and the term is more of a catch-all for aliens - Eldar are about as likely to work with the Imperium as they are Orks (And no one can work with Tyranids, as they're a hive mind whose main goal is to consume the whole drat galaxy... except for F
Genestealer Cults, which are a sub-faction).

Really the main thing is that the fluff and rules are structured so everyone can fight with everyone else, regardless of faction - even within the Imperium (typically Inquisition shenanigans are involved).

e: lol beaten five times

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Genestealer Cultists have genetic links to Tyranid and have an underlying drive to reunite with Hive Fleets, but often their ideas of what the “star children” or whatever they call them are very different from reality. Those cultists that are close enough to pure Genestealer snap into line as soon as they link up with the synaptic web of the Hivemind, going about killing their friends and family freely.

The cult overwhelms local defenses as the monsters invade, somewhat unwittingly hastening their own doom. Often cultists will evacuate worlds being invaded when they’re overwhelmed by the existential horror of it all.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
To answer your question purely on a mechanical level... the webstore has already answered your question, just not clearly.

On the left panel, it lists 'armies of the imperium', 'armies of chaos', and 'armies of xenos'. The individual lines under each of those three headings are "one army". Some are more complete than others, some are more supported than others, some are only really intended to be mixed into allied armies for a team-up. But, on the functional level of your question, that's "an army", a group of units where all of the plastic mans (or womans, or aliens) on that webpage are 100% on the Same Team as each other. Then, as other people have said, if you want a shelf of units to be thematically appropriate:

Different imperium Armies are 'usually' on the same side as each other. A unit of 'astra militarum' (this is the Imperial Guard, everyone still calls them Guard) tanks supporting a line of Adeptus Astartes (space marines) is perfectly lore-compliant
Different Chaos armies are 'maybe' on the same side. Abbadon the despoiler leading chaos marines with all four patron gods, plus some assorted chaos demons? Yes. A unit of World Eaters led by a Keeper of Secrets... probably no.
Different Xenos armies are 'almost never' on the same side as each other. Elder aiding a Genestealer Cult? It could happen, for Reasons, but probably not. Orks allied to T'a'u? Very No.

If all you're going to do is paint things, and want to have interesting and varied things to work on, but also be 'lore compliant', then picking one Imperium army you like and branching out from there into other things that look neat is probably your best bet. Basically, you never need 'an excuse' for imperium armies to work together - they're all part of the Imperium, they're supposed to work together.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 27, 2019

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

The cult overwhelms local defenses as the monsters invade, somewhat unwittingly hastening their own doom. Often cultists will evacuate worlds being invaded when they’re overwhelmed by the existential horror of it all.

Are there any stories about what these evacuating cultists get up to? Do they just try to set up somewhere else and do the same thing? Or is the truth revealed to them and they leave the cultist life behind?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ineptmule posted:

Are there any stories about what these evacuating cultists get up to? Do they just try to set up somewhere else and do the same thing? Or is the truth revealed to them and they leave the cultist life behind?

Not that I know of. My guess would be they eventually get back to the old ways after a generation or two just due to how the cycle works. As soon as a Patriarch and Magus are born they’re pretty much locked in for space monster madness.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ineptmule posted:

The answer to most indepth lore questions for 40k outside of the horus heresy is "no". Warhammer lore serves more as a vehicle to get you thinking about stories for your own army and not so much a perfect chronicle of every event in the galaxy.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

Its mentioned indirectly a couple of times across varying novels, but that doesn't mean it's "100% true" as such because its always imperial dudes talking and they may not fully understand it.

The idea is though that basically when a Genestealer taints someone, its not just an Alien-esque parasite in their stomach, but an additional alien organ which begins re-wiring their DNA.

As a result basically say a guy is infected, he will be driven to have sex, and when the baby is born its a disgusting mutant. Rather than let their baby die at the hands of the imperial authorities or whatever though, their DNA compels them to defend the baby and nurture it.

That's essentially the start of the whole process.

So it's entirely possible that the DNA adjustments also make them want to flee the planet, so when they land somewhere else the whole cycle can begin again.

It doesn't mean they necessarily plan it that way consciously, but their subconscious feelings and instinct are re-written by the Hive Mind.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ineptmule posted:

Or is the truth revealed to them and they leave the cultist life behind?

"I know you don't like to talk about your past honey, but I have to know: Where did you get that purple arm from?"

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
There’s a bit in a recent novel where one of the villains is the leader of a Genestealer cult who fled the planet after a Tyranid invasion ate everyone, and she’s like “No, my faith in the emperor is true; the Tyranids were a test he sent to us, and now it’s my job to re-establish the cult elsewhere and get it right.”

They’re compelled to certain behaviours—undermine social structures, infiltrate and subvert military forces, spread themselves genetically, protect the Patriarch and their own purestrain Genestealer offspring, call the hive fleet when they reach a critical population mass, go into open rebellion when the fleet is close enough to cause maximum disruption to planetary defence, flee to another planet and begin the cycle again if possible—but they have a wide latitude in how they rationalize those behaviours.

The novel in question, because this is a bit of a spoiler, is Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are any tabletop terrain companies having Black Friday sales? I don't know any of them besides TTCombat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's TTCombat's sale?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

https://ttcombat.com/collections/industrial-hive/products/iron-labyrinth-death-quadrant-complex

That went from 175 to 25 and you get quite a lot of modular terrain for that price and it's pretty big

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes because a minimum sized squad is now only 5 points more than cultists but is as survivable and doles out more firepower. Red corsairs are the big winners, though I'm sad that my spiky 17 detachment is no longer 420 points.

The power is in your hands.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Are any tabletop terrain companies having Black Friday sales? I don't know any of them besides TTCombat.

Ask again on Friday

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Does anyone have experience with Dust Tactics models? I'm seeing a ton of them on sale for super cheap, and I'm wondering if they would be a good source of conversions and/or bits.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

Does anyone have experience with Dust Tactics models? I'm seeing a ton of them on sale for super cheap, and I'm wondering if they would be a good source of conversions and/or bits.

From what I remember their scale is a little off for 40k, but similar to AT-43 in that they’ve got a bunch of doo-dads and poo poo on them that if you enjoy kitbashing can get a bunch of fun stuff. Moreso the vehicles/mechs than the infantry, and their... I don’t know, lines and curves maybe don’t follow a GW design aesthetic outside of IG.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grundma posted:

Those look great! Have you figured out what sort of basing you're going to do?

Liiiike this! ( posting this I realize I scuffed the paint on the exhaust on one of the guys I need to touch up well fussing around getting them on the base, dammit)

Base:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I love the purple accents.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Boot leather kicks arse!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The Waaagh is growing.

First, finished up another HQ. Got my Big Mek with SAG going.

Then got some boyz together.

Finally, I've got a trukk which will be carrying some tankbustas around once I get around to those.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the TL;DR on factions, i am slightly less confused now!

I've been browsing the GW store a bit more and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar models looks just as good if not better than the WH40k. A lot of these dudes really match the kind of asthetic i like, e.g. Daemons of Khorne Bloodthirster or Chaos Chosen Command (heck, anything in AoS under Chaos that is humans or demons looks cool, though the beast type models doesn't really do it for me)
The AoS stuff is almost TOO detailed though? For example Archaon Everchosen, theres an absurd amount of stuff going on with his model. They have used a whopping 33 different paints on the example in the store.

Im a bit undecided at the moment, Age of Sigmar has a huge amount of cool looking stuff but they are almost too detailed. Probably not a good idea to pick something from AoS Chaos as my first paint project. Also the AoS stuff strikes me as less customizable for some reason (in terms of colors) whereas in WH40k you are much more free to pick color schemes (this is just my impression).
On the other hand it also seems that the skill ceiling is higher for AoS so it might be more interesting in the long term? (again just my impression, by looking at the models in the store)

A major deciding factor will be which game system has the largest user base though, as that is important for experience transfer, continued support from GW and a good community to interact with. I have always known that there were 2 Warhammer systems but i have never really heard anything about the fantasy version outside of seeing it in nerd stores, but AoS has a LOT more models than WH40k so glancing at the GW store it seems that AoS is more popular?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Vehicle models are of good quality - hard plastic with sharp casting. Their detailing is more "realistic" in appearance as they mimic WWII vehicles.

Infantry is made of a softer plastic - similar to ASOIAF/Warmachine restic. Casting is not quite as sharp as modern GW but on par with Bones. Their figures are 32mm but have more realistic proportions so would look odd next to old GW.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ineptitude posted:

I've been browsing the GW store a bit more and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar models looks just as good if not better than the WH40k. A lot of these dudes really match the kind of asthetic i like, e.g. Daemons of Khorne Bloodthirster or Chaos Chosen Command (heck, anything in AoS under Chaos that is humans or demons looks cool, though the beast type models doesn't really do it for me)
The AoS stuff is almost TOO detailed though? For example Archaon Everchosen, theres an absurd amount of stuff going on with his model. They have used a whopping 33 different paints on the example in the store.

Im a bit undecided at the moment, Age of Sigmar has a huge amount of cool looking stuff but they are almost too detailed. Probably not a good idea to pick something from AoS Chaos as my first paint project. Also the AoS stuff strikes me as less customizable for some reason (in terms of colors) whereas in WH40k you are much more free to pick color schemes (this is just my impression).
On the other hand it also seems that the skill ceiling is higher for AoS so it might be more interesting in the long term? (again just my impression, by looking at the models in the store)

A major deciding factor will be which game system has the largest user base though, as that is important for experience transfer, continued support from GW and a good community to interact with. I have always known that there were 2 Warhammer systems but i have never really heard anything about the fantasy version outside of seeing it in nerd stores, but AoS has a LOT more models than WH40k so glancing at the GW store it seems that AoS is more popular?

Honestly dude I think you're over complicating it.

Which models do you think look cool? Buy and paint them. Worry about everything else second.

Don't worry about the colours they are "supposed" to be painted if you don't want to follow the standard schemes, and in terms of support it's highly unlikely your models will ever be discontinued.

The only time this is bad advice is if you want to win tournaments, in which case you need to learn what the meta is and be comfortable with the fact you'll probably end up with like 6 armies or basically selling and re-buying your army once every 6 months or so.

The important thing is you see whether you like it and have fun painting the models, and then if you play the game whether you enjoy playing the game. If the latter isn't so important for you, then just get whatever looks cool and don't worry. Worst case scenario you paint one model/unit and then decide you like some other ones which cannot be used together, at which point you've only "wasted" the cost of one unit, but you've had painting practice.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

goose willis posted:

I quite like the aesthetic for HQ type units, for example (not the best pic but you get the idea):

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Like Kitchner said you are overthinking it a touch. Don't let the AoS detail scare you off, that's not really a barrier. It's a better idea to paint a "complex" model you're highly invested in rather than a simple one you ultimately don't care about. Hell my first model was Magnus the Red and I did alright. It's a bit of an extreme example but you don't need to let it scare you.

As for popularity, it's going to depend on your local store. I'd say its a dice roll, 40k is generally more popular anywhere you go but AoS has been gaining a lot of ground. The original Fantasy game from 1981 continued until 2016 when it was discontinued, the world blew up and was replaced with Age of Sigmar. Age of Sigmar had an awful reception on launch and nobody wanted to play it. It's since gone through numerous rules revisions and is a reasonably popular (and fun) game now. The reason it seems like it has more models is because about 75% of the models from Fantasy are useable in Age of Sigmar so it has a much longer legacy going on, not because it's necessarily more popular.

Sorry to plug my poo poo but I wrote a series of articles for Goonhammer about getting into AoS:
https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-with-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-part-1/
https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-with-age-of-sigmar-part-2-the-factions/

Don't worry about paint schemes. Nobody will ever give you poo poo for painting different than the box, the box is just the "canon" example and clever paint jobs are celebrated, even by GW.

If I can give a suggestion to make it easier, try Chaos Daemons. Chaos Daemons can be used in both AoS and 40k so that will remove a lot of pressure. You mentioned liking Khorne and his stuff holds up pretty well in both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah if you think the demon models look cool just buy one model/unit you like the look of safe in the knowledge they are the ultimate game whores that can be used in either game.