Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Spinoza was right and the Rabbis who excommunicated him were bootlickers

E: Welp. 354 hours until general election day

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
UK 'has particularly extreme form of capitalism' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50562518

"Libertarian Galaxy Brain posted:

Not everyone agrees, of course, that the pursuit of profit, within the confines of the law and social norms, is bad. Matthew Lesh, from the Adam Smith Institute, says we should be cautious before we dismantle a mechanism that has produced innovation and a rise in absolute living standards.

"The profit motive has raised literally billions of people out of poverty by encouraging innovation and ensuring our finite resources are used exceedingly productively," he said.

lol no it loving hasn't

e: another, earlier galaxy brain in the same article:

quote:

Where he doesn't agree is in the demonisation of billionaires: "It's not obscene to make a lot of money in the process of creating real solutions to the problems of the world."

But he hoped that such wealth would be recycled through foundations, for example, which could be the kind of long-term owners needed for the next generation of problem-solving companies.

so essentially "the problems are bad but their causes .... their causes are very good"

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 27, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As if making obscene amounts of money isn't the problem of the world.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

fuf posted:

Does anyone know where I can get one or two A3 "Vote Labour" posters for my window?

The Labour website only seems to sell them in packs of 100 (!) and it's like Ł13.50 once you add delivery:
https://shop.labour.org.uk/product/a3-posters

I'll see if I can get you some.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lunar Suite posted:

But he hoped that such wealth would be recycled through foundations
:hmmyes:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think my least favourite part of modern "journalism" is the tendency to report on something and then report on the reporting and then report on the reporting on the reporting and so on and so on

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1199592913795211264?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 27, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Amazing that all the papers have latched onto this interview but on Friday Johnson was repeatedly asked to apologise for his unambiguous personal racism and didn’t. And no one gave a poo poo, apparently.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Purple Prince posted:

Spinoza was right and the Rabbis who excommunicated him were bootlickers

E: Welp. 354 hours until general election day

Spinoza owns and is my favourite philosopher

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like a human centipede except an oroborous of perpetually eating the poo poo you yourself produce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Corbyn said because it excludes partnerships that are not marriage and so he would replace it with something inclusive.
Saw this and thought of you.

OwlFancier posted:

an oroborous of perpetually eating the poo poo you yourself produce.
Embrace of the poo poo pants.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Saw this and thought of you.

Definitely going to make an avatar of that! :D

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Spinoza owns and is my favourite philosopher

He's also a good gateway drug for the weird process driven side of philosophy like Deleuze, Bergson, Whitehead et al. And imo a certain little known theologian called Dr Martin Luther King Jr.

Actually disagreeing with Spinoza is what got me interested in spiritual traditions and long story short I'm off to Asia now

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 27, 2019

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/ Major NHS policy announcement happening right here right now apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"REVEALED: the truth about the Conservatives, Donald Trump and our NHS."

Doesn't sound like policy?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

OwlFancier posted:

"REVEALED: the truth about the Conservatives, Donald Trump and our NHS."

Doesn't sound like policy?

Good point. I guess the manifesto is already out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like they're attacking boris on the NHS trade talk thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently he has the unredacted document which says the US is demanding NHS on the table in trade talks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Purple Prince posted:

He's also a good gateway drug for the weird process driven side of philosophy like Deleuze, Bergson, Whitehead et al. And imo a certain little known theologian called Dr Martin Luther King Jr.

Actually disagreeing with Spinoza is what got me interested in spiritual traditions and long story short I'm off to Asia now

Interesting, I kinda came to spiritual traditions through Spinoza too but only on the most cliché and surface level 'boy there's a lot of similarities between his thought and Indian traditions' - what did you disagree with/what conclusions did you come to?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jables88 posted:

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/ Major NHS policy announcement happening right here right now apparently.

Is there a non-Facebook link to this?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I did note my sister - whose politics I have absolutely no idea about - facebooked a Michael Walker tweet criticising the chief Rabbi. The only other mention of anti semitism I've seen in my personal social medias was another guy who isn't so politically engaged a few weeks ago facebooking: "I see that Labour keeps getting critiscised for antisemitism but they never give an example of what the alleged antisemitism is - what's all that about?" - and the replies were all saying it was bullshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

US/UK have apparently reached preliminary agreement on lengthening drug patents in the UK due to tory negotiations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Necrothatcher posted:

Is there a non-Facebook link to this?

Top of the Graudiad live blog

In other news

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/27/parts-of-england-have-higher-mortality-rates-than-turkey

quote:

Regional divides in the UK are among the worst in the developed world, according to a report, which found that parts of England have higher mortality rates than places in Turkey, Romania and Poland.

Research by the thinktank IPPR North found that the UK is more unequal than comparable countries on measures such as health, jobs, disposable income and productivity.

It said mortality rates – the number of people who die relative to the size and age of the population – were worse in Blackpool, Manchester and Hull than in the Turkish cities of Tunceli, Mardin and Muğla, the Romanian region of Vâlcea, and the cities of Krakow and Wrocław in Poland.

On this measure, the UK is more regionally divided than any other country of its size and development – such as Germany, Spain and Italy – and is second only to Israel, a country with the population of London, in terms of inequality of disposable income between richest and poorest.

Less of this vile anti-semitism please.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1199618953120759809

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lol shiiiiit this could be a good day. These documents are pretty damning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very hype for "market liberalization"

Guess we'll see whether anyone in the press gives a poo poo.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Holy poo poo literally handing out leaked documents to all the journalists. You love to see it.

E: Oh for fucks sake I shouldn't have watched the live feed. Massive press conference on the NHS and what do all three journalists called on first ask? WHAT ABOUT THE ANTI-SEMITISM JEREMEY :byodood: . Good shutdown of the second one by the press officer though.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 27, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

RIP, pouring a knob of butter out.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I wonder how they got hold of the unredacted report?

Now, I feel like that should be huge news everywhere but I WONDER

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lol gently caress me all three of the first questions are about anti-semitism.

gently caress these people.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ffs these journalists... bombshell documents about the NHS and more smearing about anti-semitism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Note that the headline on BBC News is the "could pay more tax" version. The "low paid people face tax hike" comes directly from the BBC Politics account, which is curated by Kuenssberg.

In happier news, here's a story that will warm SMGT's heart.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

tuned into that press conference for 30 seconds and someone asked a question about AS

loving lol

edit many times beaten. God it's so thuddingly shameless. I think I might skip out on today again, even if the NHS thing winds up being juicy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rockopolis posted:

I'll try to delurk with something I hope is helpful. I've been messing around with PowerShell at work to send emails, it reminded me of this.

This was a big csv with a bunch of emails, right? Would that be something scripting would help with? Setting it all to BCC instead of relying on a GUI?

Hi thanks for remembering!
The thing is I have to manually remove some and manually change some.
Some local members do not want any emails from the local branch, others want a different email address used for local stuff but not change their email address on the main LP database.

Because Organize (LP system) really doesn't do well with branches ('local' in that system means 'clp') and because there seem to be quite a few people who never receive emails sent out on the organize system and it's very difficult to check why, I use an email address of my own aliased to the local party as most of the officers do.

I do need to move to Organize at some point, but it's not something I have the energy for now. I think I would be extremely nervous of using a system I wasn't doing myself at this stage. I turn off all phones and tv and do it late evening when I'm sure mother won't randomly appear on my doorstep when I'm doing it to try to eliminate disturbance and the first thing I do is put my own email address in the 'to' box and send to my mobile to see what it looks like on there before doing the bcc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

The discourse I'm hearing from colleagues has shifted from Labour is "unelectable" to "every party has done something stupid this election campaign, they're all plonkers" which is an improvement.

Something I've noticed - not just re this election but other political issues - is when someone has a dogmatic opinion and are then faced with pretty uncontroversial evidence that that opinion is wrong - instead of saying 'oh I'll believe you now' they revert to 'they're all as bad as each other' comments.
I'm heartened when some of the previously tory voters on my 'friends' are now posting 'they're all as bad and I'm not voting' comments.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1199635616004280321?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
At this point Corbyn could release footage of Boris Johnson singing "Send the buggers back" while wearing blackface with a bone through his nose and they'd try to get the topic back to antisemitism. They just don't give a gently caress.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

I think my least favourite part of modern "journalism" is the tendency to report on something and then report on the reporting and then report on the reporting on the reporting and so on and so on.

I loving hate it when the BBC spends like 2 minutes reporting on something then switches to 15 minutes of a bunch of talking heads making GBS threads out their lazy, complacent opinions about the subject of the 2 minutes report. I don't CARE what your 2 cents is, just tell me what happened ffs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

At this point Corbyn could release footage of Boris Johnson singing "Send the buggers back" while wearing blackface with a bone through his nose and they'd try to get the topic back to antisemitism. They just don't give a gently caress.

or just do this

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1199638353903312896

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well this is a nice way to wash away all the poo poo from yesterday :unsmith: I wonder if they were specifically saving it as a comeback for whenever they decided to go full antisemitism.

If you really want to go deep with it you could even say Labour specifically set up the Race and Faith manifesto launch to bait everyone into unloading the antisemitism guns :unsmigghh: