Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, people have joked about making the UK a new US state but I didn't think it'd be like this!

Edit: 355 tweets is the amount Laura Kussenberg will make covering for the Tories before she's fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Is there any word on how these documents leaked yet?

I'm not surprised at all that the NHS is in fact, 'on the table' despite the government's claims to the opposite.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Kuensbergg appears to have been fed the lines already. She's saying the document doesn't mention that any specific minister was involved so we can toss the whole thing out lol. With a dollop of retweeting Piers Morgan about anti-Semitism to boot.

The fact she's already trying to spin this means the document probably has legs.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Interesting, I kinda came to spiritual traditions through Spinoza too but only on the most cliché and surface level 'boy there's a lot of similarities between his thought and Indian traditions' - what did you disagree with/what conclusions did you come to?

At risk of doxxing myself I wrote a thesis on Spinoza's version of the ontological argument and how to interpret Spinoza's concept of substance. Now Spinoza has a tendency to look at substance as being constituted of numerous aspects of which mind and matter are only two. Thus there's one substance but with two aspects.

Where I think I parted ways with Spinoza was on the point of this meaning that everything needs to resolve to a single substance - I used to believe this before I wrote the thesis, but Kant makes compelling arguments against the idea that all facets of existence necessarily need to come to a unity in a single object: he describes this as a bias towards "the ideal of pure reason".

But broadly speaking I thought Spinoza's view of substance was in line with my intuitions about the universe (as well as offering a compelling solution to the mind-body problem).

If you tweak a panentheist view away from a single substance which is God to an infinite number of substances, which collectively and in their interactions we might describe as 'God' then you get to something close to the Daodejing.

Laotze posted:

All the ten thousand things arise, and I see them return. Now they bloom in bloom but each one homeward returneth to its root.Returning to the root means rest. It signifies the return according to destiny. Return according to destiny means the eternal. Knowing the eternal means enlightenment. Not knowing the eternal causes passions to rise; and that is evil.

This also gives a pretty solid metaphysical basis for performing rituals and other "worldly" religious acts, which I feel a lot of secular Buddhism in the West lacks. So one major motivation for heading to Asia is to look at how daily religious experience and overall pantheism can interact in a cohesive way.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

She needs the loving sack, LauraK is a disgrace.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

At this point Corbyn could release footage of Boris Johnson singing "Send the buggers back" while wearing blackface with a bone through his nose and they'd try to get the topic back to antisemitism. They just don't give a gently caress.
If that footage existed it would already have been released as a Party Political Broadcast by the Conservative party.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

Well this is a nice way to wash away all the poo poo from yesterday :unsmith: I wonder if they were specifically saving it as a comeback for whenever they decided to go full antisemitism.

I was out of the loop, what happened yesterday?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Leggsy posted:

Kuensbergg appears to have been fed the lines already. She's saying the document doesn't mention that any specific minister was involved so we can toss the whole thing out lol. With a dollop of retweeting Piers Morgan about anti-Semitism to boot.

The fact she's already trying to spin this means the document probably has legs.

can't wait for her to tweet about having food poisoning after she has to eat US food

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

They wheeled out the chief rabbi again to whinge about how jeremy corbyn is a megahitler.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

Chief Rabbi said Corbyn was antisemitic

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

can't wait for her to tweet about having food poisoning after she has to eat US food

lol only plebs get chemical washed chicken in a can.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1199643626487369728

hmm i wonder who they got to do that

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1199638353903312896?s=19

lol the typos in this, she's so shook

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I feel like this might be of interest to several posters ITT if they happen to be in London at the weekend:

quote:

Bishopsgate Institute is home to the UK Leather and Fetish Archive, a national collection documenting the history and heritage of the leather, rubber, BDSM and fetish communities, and is committed to increasing holdings relating to kink and fetish history in the UK.

At this event, we invite you to drop in to explore the collection of magazines, pamphlets, posters, ephemera, t-shirts and artefacts from these collections at your own pace.

We would love to provide a home to your story/archive and would be delighted to accept any material to add to the fetish archives on the day. This could be ephemera, magazines, books, photos, video, audio, artefacts, documents…anything that you feel could help tell the story of the kink and fetish community in the UK for future generations. Material can also be scanned/copied on the day, so you can keep the original if preferred.

Cost: Free of Charge

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Purple Prince posted:

At risk of doxxing myself I wrote a thesis on Spinoza's version of the ontological argument and how to interpret Spinoza's concept of substance. Now Spinoza has a tendency to look at substance as being constituted of numerous aspects of which mind and matter are only two. Thus there's one substance but with two aspects.

Where I think I parted ways with Spinoza was on the point of this meaning that everything needs to resolve to a single substance - I used to believe this before I wrote the thesis, but Kant makes compelling arguments against the idea that all facets of existence necessarily need to come to a unity in a single object: he describes this as a bias towards "the ideal of pure reason".

But broadly speaking I thought Spinoza's view of substance was in line with my intuitions about the universe (as well as offering a compelling solution to the mind-body problem).

If you tweak a panentheist view away from a single substance which is God to an infinite number of substances, which collectively and in their interactions we might describe as 'God' then you get to something close to the Daodejing.

This also gives a pretty solid metaphysical basis for performing rituals and other "worldly" religious acts, which I feel a lot of secular Buddhism in the West lacks. So one major motivation for heading to Asia is to look at how daily religious experience and overall pantheism can interact in a cohesive way.

Cool stuff, cheers man. I've never managed to really get my head around Kant, but I'll take your word for it!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mmegannnolan/status/1199642954039808001?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Cool stuff, cheers man. I've never managed to really get my head around Kant, but I'll take your word for it!
That Kirby PNG and rereading Biko's Frank Talk letters helped me understand Hegel more than any amount of Hegel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol @ how dare you question the mighty journalists presuming to know what's good for you shut up and take the news you're given filthy plebs.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol only plebs get chemical washed chicken in a can.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1199643626487369728

hmm i wonder who they got to do that

It's 10pm here in Aus right now, but uh, this seems like it's going to be a massive day in british politics. I half expect to wake up and find out that you've nuked each other, and trump's just sitting there nodding "it needed to be done, too many spies in Britain"

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
All these journalists have had less than an hour to read a 450 page technical document and they're all completely certain it's not a big deal. Just full mask off.

Half of them are literally saying "I've not read it but it's not a big deal..."

Good on labour for literally cutting out the middle man and just straight 'doing journalism'; says a lot that they didn't feel they could push this through normal media channels as you would have done ten years ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1199439191727366144?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

spotted this in the replies

https://twitter.com/Conniemhward/status/1199639255804530688?s=20

hmm what's that on the butcher's apron

lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tithin posted:

It's 10pm here in Aus right now, but uh, this seems like it's going to be a massive day in british politics. I half expect to wake up and find out that you've nuked each other, and trump's just sitting there nodding "it needed to be done, too many spies in Britain"

Eh, I'm a bit skeptical that it'll go far tbh but it might take up some of today and it's probably good fodder for labour's base.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at this spin

https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1199641755374755846

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3iyvbsRDM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at that earlier laura k spin about no ministers

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1199647109298999296?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aye he was only the Foreign secretary at the time. No chance he'd have been involved in talks with a foreign country.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Just when he was foreign secretary then.

Comments already trying to say there's references to 2019 as well lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye he was only the Foreign secretary at the time. No chance he'd have been involved in talks with a foreign country.

the document also explicity goes to 2019 lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corbyn literally opened by saying it included up to a few months ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Labour need to start responding to the AS smears by mentioning the two hundred academics, the response to the chief rabbi by other Jewish leaders, and frame it as a show of support from members of the community and that they will continue to strive to serve their needs.

I mean what are journos meant to say in response, these Jews don't count because? They have prominent Jewish people coming out to bat for them. They can't use them as a shield from criticism, but occasionally mentioning that there are actual, respected Jewish people on their side would be a good thing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Our journalists are just such craven fucks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's irrelevant if he wasn't PM at the time, the party was in power and it's the party that drove it.

Imbeciles.

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I'm a bit skeptical that it'll go far tbh but it might take up some of today and it's probably good fodder for labour's base.

You'd know better than me, but I'm looking at it from the outside in and my response is "oh poo poo, that's BIG"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it should be huge for people out campaigning on the doorstep

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1199639844097531904

"The fact that you found my second phone that I use for my affairs with your sister only shows that you can't be trusted and I think you should apologise."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tithin posted:

You'd know better than me, but I'm looking at it from the outside in and my response is "oh poo poo, that's BIG"

The document doesn't outright say in black and white "hi I'm boris johnson and I want to let donald trump turn your hospital into a golf course in exchange for magic beans" so the press response is gonna be muted. It's gonna be more of a social media thing, with everyone arguing about how the press are liars. Which itself isn't bad for labour but it's not a slam dunk or anything. The press don't do journalism, they do the most infantile primary school gotchas. If it involves reading they won't do it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Anyone have a clip of Barry Gardiner waving the papers around and saying "It doesn't take 6 meetings and 540 pages to say no to selling the NHS"

Because that's one hell of a slogan.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
God the journalist response is making me so furious. Just the most mealy-mouthed spinning and peddling.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Apparently the source for these documents was an anonymous reddit post from a month ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/joelgolby/status/1199649193012482051?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

RockyB posted:

E: Braggart :argh:

Nice piece of fish posted:

gently caress you loving got me again, just those loving squirrels keep making me laugh.

:yeshaha:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Should have gone with "It was outside interference from a foreign power calling themselves белка" or something like that to tap into the inevitably "Jo; is only not Prime Minister because of Russian interference" narrative that I'm certain we're going to be hearing come the 13th.

Nah, I wanted to drop the hammer really suddenly :D

But you should write that one :)

Hope you all enjoyed reading that. I certainly enjoyed writing it :D