Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Coolguye posted:

that has been an extremely stupid thing since CK2 1.0. if your primary heir is not of your dynasty, the game ends, gg, doesn't matter who else of your dynasty is alive or active or even inheriting in the same event - if your primary heir isn't your dynasty, get hosed and reload.

i have no idea why they've never changed that ridiculous semantic.

This is one of the reason I like Imperator Rome approach to characters more. It doesn't pretend I'm one of the characters. Characters are tools. In CK2 I remember very well a moment when I played as one of the Rurikids (there are a lot of those guys in Russian principalities) and had a long struggle with one of the other Rurikids. He murdered my family, took my lands. And when my dude died I switched to my former rival cause he inherited few of my remaining holdings. We had very distant family relations but seniority succession worked like that.

In my perfect vision for CK2 you'd be allowed to switch to any of your inheritors maybe. Or probably as an optional rule you'd switch to a random landed member of your dynasty, that would be fun too I guess. Would work better for roleplaying purposes too, making you care about your relatives. You'd still be incentivized to murder most people in your dynasty so that after the switch you play as some big lord though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This comes up a lot for me because I’m always pushing for inherited titles and marrying people off in ways that are likely to put my family members on new titles. In the current mapgoons CK2 game I successfully seduced another players female heir and legitimised the bastard and the only way for him to keep his primary titles was to imprison and execute the poor baby.

It also lead to the unfortunate situation of other players now targeting me for rightfully being too successful. I had the throne of France and was poised to put a cousin in England at one point. But a lot of my external family members have suspiciously been dying for a while :thunk:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Serephina posted:

Basically, these guys and the DCSS devs are on the same boat.

As I understand DCSS is a pure roguelike with permadeath so there's no other way to play the game except in very hardcore mode. CK2 has iron man mode and achievements but in "casual" mode you can literally switch a character at any moment without cheats, not to mention you can start as a ruler that nobody can ever beat. I can even understand EU4 balanced around making world conquest hard and boring, but in CK2 you're supposed to create an empire and die cause your dumb sone had pushed you from the balcony, throwing the realm into a civil war, it never was supposed to be balanced and challenging game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ilitarist posted:

In my perfect vision for CK2 you'd be allowed to switch to any of your inheritors maybe.
this is the correct take. there's no reason whatsoever to force the primary heir to be the person you play as all the time. i can think of numerous situations where this would be a lot more fun than always being emperor the instant you attain an empire.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

this is the correct take. there's no reason whatsoever to force the primary heir to be the person you play as all the time. i can think of numerous situations where this would be a lot more fun than always being emperor the instant you attain an empire.

I think the fun part of a CK2 game is being a count of wherever, scheming and fighting these really limited wars as you try to climb the ladder. Once you hit emperor it just feels like work. I'd gladly jump from an emperor into, like, the fourth son with good stats who's getting a single county and start the cycle all over rather than the disappointing primary heir failson due to inherit the empire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You guys know you can let go of your cheevos and then just use the console to switch over to whatever character you want, right?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

You guys know you can let go of your cheevos and then just use the console to switch over to whatever character you want, right?

Yeah but I genuinely believe Ironman is more fun because if I'm allowed access to the console I am going to demonstrate a profound lack of self control with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eric the Mauve posted:

yes, thank you for that reminder that is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My bad, I thought the topic at hand was "I wish I could play as whichever character I want"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'm sorry to hear about so many people who hate fun enough to play unmodded and ironman. I'd recommend Twilight of Empires if you want something to restrain the imperial snowball.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
A game that requires the use of the console is a terrible game.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Airspace posted:

A game that requires the use of the console is a terrible game.

Strong PC Master Race sentiment here

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I remember when the qtest came out and the immediate feedback from everyone was “keep the console available to players!”

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if I allow myself use of the console I'll just create event troops and get rid of lovely traits.

I have no interest in exercising self-control cuz it's a loving video game. ironman it is.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are any other ATE players having issues with too many Host Armies running around? In my last game it got so bad that the game just crashes to desktop after a certain point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can just load up as any character when not on ironman, but it'd just be real nice to have the game give you that option with a little decoration and without the game calling you a dirty cheater for doing some mind hopping.

In my first game after I learned the basics, I started out as Sicily, made a little progress until a Jihad kicked me out of my homelands and all I was left was a countess of Sardinia, who then married the prince of Castille, and I mind-hopped into him, formed Hispania, and won back southern Italy for the family. It was fun.

I get that the way this works, it pushes players more towards historic things like continuing the family line, but it's also historic for some kings to be extremely short-sighted and kill off the bulk of their family to consolidate power. I think some of the early Karlings fell into that trap. Post the CK2 period, there's things like England swapping out its dynasty like 8 times. It's just weirdly struggling wanting the game to be more than it is, which doesn't sound that unreasonable when they're working on making a sequel to be more than what the game is now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can just load up as any character when not on ironman, but it'd just be real nice to have the game give you that option with a little decoration and without the game calling you a dirty cheater for doing some mind hopping.

In my first game after I learned the basics, I started out as Sicily, made a little progress until a Jihad kicked me out of my homelands and all I was left was a countess of Sardinia, who then married the prince of Castille, and I mind-hopped into him, formed Hispania, and won back southern Italy for the family. It was fun.

I get that the way this works, it pushes players more towards historic things like continuing the family line, but it's also historic for some kings to be extremely short-sighted and kill off the bulk of their family to consolidate power. I think some of the early Karlings fell into that trap. Post the CK2 period, there's things like England swapping out its dynasty like 8 times. It's just weirdly struggling wanting the game to be more than it is, which doesn't sound that unreasonable when they're working on making a sequel to be more than what the game is now.

To add to the discussion, there are circumstances where discontinuing your dynasty would in-character be the winning move. If I'm a one-county nobody and I marry my only child to the King of France, what do I care if all my grandkids will be Capets? I hit the Middle Ages jackpot.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Off topic but is there a thread for Imperator? Is it any good yet?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Armacham posted:

Off topic but is there a thread for Imperator? Is it any good yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887704

I've enjoyed the current patch quite a bit. It's still a little all over the place but enough of the mechanics are interesting to play around with that I consider it pretty fun. And there's a big patch/free content pack coming out in a week.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Complications posted:

I'm sorry to hear about so many people who hate fun enough to play unmodded and ironman. I'd recommend Twilight of Empires if you want something to restrain the imperial snowball.

Every time I try a mod that promises to be tame and not to turn everything into a different world I get events with Skyrim references and Intrigue screen is filled with decisions like "Show/Hide all the decisions about genocide".

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ilitarist posted:

Every time I try a mod that promises to be tame and not to turn everything into a different world I get events with Skyrim references and Intrigue screen is filled with decisions like "Show/Hide all the decisions about genocide".

lmao i’ve never seen a more correct post. is twilight of empires that bad, because man i hate how byz/umayyad/abbasid just straight up never lose territory

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a fatguy baldspot posted:

lmao i’ve never seen a more correct post. is twilight of empires that bad, because man i hate how byz/umayyad/abbasid just straight up never lose territory

Nah, Twilight of Empires is fine, as far as I can tell, just makes empires a bit more unstable

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have Primogeniture, but my two King titles still go to two different sons. Is this just the way King titles work, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

Edit: Im an idiot. Just realized that kingdoms have different royal laws. Is there a reason my grandson inherits instead of my son?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 27, 2019

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

I have Primogeniture, but my two King titles still go to two different sons. Is this just the way King titles work, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

Edit: Im an idiot. Just realized that kingdoms have different royal laws. Is there a reason my grandson inherits instead of my son?

He’s the son of your other dead son.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Oh well. Better off him then.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm using Twilight of Empires in my current AoE game, and it's definitely stopped the HCC from turning into the Grey Goo like it did in my previous games.

And you yourself can still go on conquering sprees, as long as you regularly release tributaries. So if you want to blob yourself, you can. It's just a different flavor of blob.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What about choice of playable character on succession being tied to inheritance law?

If you have gravelkind you can select to continue to play as any of the children inheriting. If the law is set to seniority then you have no choice. Other inheritance laws would be something in between I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Beans posted:

What about choice of playable character on succession being tied to inheritance law?

If you have gravelkind you can select to continue to play as any of the children inheriting. If the law is set to seniority then you have no choice. Other inheritance laws would be something in between I guess.

Seniority in particular stands out to me as annoying cuz I'd almost always really prefer to be my own kid and not some elderly jackass cousin, even if he gets the primary title.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm using Twilight of Empires in my current AoE game, and it's definitely stopped the HCC from turning into the Grey Goo like it did in my previous games.

And you yourself can still go on conquering sprees, as long as you regularly release tributaries. So if you want to blob yourself, you can. It's just a different flavor of blob.

how does it discourage blobbing?

Captain Beans posted:

If you have gravelkind you can select to continue to play as any of the children inheriting.

yeah i’ve always wanted this, mostly to play as norse pagans and split off a younger sibling to rule in crimea or wherever

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm curious about Twilight of Empires, too. I like playing Byzantines starting at the Alexiad point because it's a least a bit of a challenge, but in almost every game I play (starting as any character and any starting time that features them) the HRE just monoliths and blobs the entire length of the game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

how does it discourage blobbing?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1840725833

To summarize, once you form an Empire you get Imperial inefficiency penalties to national taxes and levies. At their peak its a 50% penalty. A ruler with high stats can pass reforms to mitigate these, but they eventually revert back. There are some other mechanics, but that's the big one.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ilitarist posted:

Oh no, none of that. It adds exactly what the steam link SirPhoebos posted says it does with nothing weird waiting under the surface. Some penalties to empire income and levies are the first major measure and then some additional fuckery that vassals (and your imperial guard) can get up to, as well as possible counter fuckery with eunuchs that adds additional economic penalties if you don't stay on top of it. It's several more plates to spin, and there's no getting out of most of the penalties - the reforms can handle up to 10% of the penalties involved but that's 3000 prestige per ruler and 15 in Martial, Stewardship, and Diplomatic to keep them current.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He’s the son of your other dead son.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Oh well. Better off him then.

To expand on this, the way that primogeniture succession works is that it assumes for the purposes of succession that everyone is alive at the point of succession. So if you have three sons, the first of whom is dead, then what will happen on your death is the title will first pass to the dead son, then it will immediately process who it should go to from him, which would be his firstborn if he has children, otherwise it would go to his brother. So basically depending on how your family tree is set up, the title could pass through multiple dead people before actually landing on a living relative, and following that algorithm is how it decides who ultimately inherits.

Agnatic-Cognatic adds an extra complication in that daughters with sons are given preference over daughters without sons, even if the daughter without a son is older. I'm not sure if this still applies if they had a son but he died.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Complications posted:

Oh no, none of that. It adds exactly what the steam link SirPhoebos posted says it does with nothing weird waiting under the surface. Some penalties to empire income and levies are the first major measure and then some additional fuckery that vassals (and your imperial guard) can get up to, as well as possible counter fuckery with eunuchs that adds additional economic penalties if you don't stay on top of it. It's several more plates to spin, and there's no getting out of most of the penalties - the reforms can handle up to 10% of the penalties involved but that's 3000 prestige per ruler and 15 in Martial, Stewardship, and Diplomatic to keep them current.

I was probably unfair to that specific mod, but I'm not happy with modding in general. UI or graphics mods and maybe some specific fixes are fine sometimes, but it mostly turns into a game of building a slightly better experience with a lot of small mods (I run font mod, colors mod, bigger UI mod, some music mods and sometimes I try map graphics mods). Even the big famous mods like Fall from Heaven 2 for Civilization 4 turn out to have a lot of disjointed art and music, and add some juvenile stuff not to mention horrible feature creep. Things like that make me value boring design by committee, they still drop dumb comet or loot crates jokes on us but not Guybrush Treepwood with sing a song special ability.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seniority in particular stands out to me as annoying cuz I'd almost always really prefer to be my own kid and not some elderly jackass cousin, even if he gets the primary title.

If you're good at the marriage game seniority is fantastic because you're always inheriting another duchy or even kingdom with every change in ruler.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

This is why I really like the change to crusades - it can be a really great change of pace, a challenge and just plain interesting to go from King of Whatever to single province duke in precarious crusader state. I’d like to see more options like that.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

lenoon posted:

This is why I really like the change to crusades - it can be a really great change of pace, a challenge and just plain interesting to go from King of Whatever to single province duke in precarious crusader state. I’d like to see more options like that.

yeah, i especially like being able to create your own crusader state, though it’s often a race to see if you can get the whole duchy before the catholic swarm overwhelms it’s target

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilitarist posted:

I was probably unfair to that specific mod, but I'm not happy with modding in general. UI or graphics mods and maybe some specific fixes are fine sometimes, but it mostly turns into a game of building a slightly better experience with a lot of small mods (I run font mod, colors mod, bigger UI mod, some music mods and sometimes I try map graphics mods). Even the big famous mods like Fall from Heaven 2 for Civilization 4 turn out to have a lot of disjointed art and music, and add some juvenile stuff not to mention horrible feature creep. Things like that make me value boring design by committee, they still drop dumb comet or loot crates jokes on us but not Guybrush Treepwood with sing a song special ability.

Hmm. What's your opinion on Darth Vader loading screens in your medieval empire simulator?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm glad I don't know what are you alluding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would have gone with "How do you feel about sexual toothbrushing and incest."