Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Dante80 posted:

A couple other notable mentions, I played the poo poo out of.

Tachyon: The Fringe

This. This game was one of the best experiences I ever had playing a game. Good writing, great voice acting, branching storylines, different endings, interesting in-universe lore through news broadcasts, huge scale, and really fun space combat. I always thought it was weird how no one never developed a sequel, because it's definitely something I could see being its own successful series. Novalogic was more interested in building on their Delta Force games instead, I suppose.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
star citizen saved

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zandar posted:

Outer Wilds is not Outer Worlds (but is also not a space-sim, more of a planet-ramming sim).
god dammit I continue to mix those two loving up constantly

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If we're doing our annual "What space games are good though?" discussion, I am obligated to suggest Pulsar: Lost Colony. Graphically it looks like poo poo, but it delivers some really fun multicrew stuff (think Artemis or STBC but with the ability to run around your ship or board enemy ships or whatever). Honestly with the exception of like dogfighting and MMO-ness it pretty much delivers on everything Star Citizen wanted to be. It even has a cold planet that will kill you if you spend too long outside.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I saw some clips of Elon telling his minions to drop balls on truck glass. He was stumbling and bumblingalmost like a Chris clone. I chuckled.

Then they threw balls at the real truck and broke two windows. It was almost as funny as some of the CIG stage fails. lol

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If we're doing our annual "What space games are good though?" discussion, I am obligated to suggest the 1979 Asteroids game on Atari, surely a timeless classic, you can't outdo that fidelity.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Fuuuuuuck you now I want to play Eve again and i haven't had the urge for years! :mad:

Same, I've got a Dreadnought sitting in drydock somewhere, and a fleet of command ships.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Virtual Captain posted:

I saw some clips of Elon telling his minions to drop balls on truck glass. He was stumbling and bumblingalmost like a Chris clone. I chuckled.

Then they threw balls at the real truck and broke two windows. It was almost as funny as some of the CIG stage fails. lol

Yes. The parallels are amazing but outright even more over the top.

Hard to quantify, at least they have a tangible product instead of a jpeg. But something that kills you in real life, eh...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Which game was it had you doing bombing runs on capital ships, had lasers and huge beam weapons etc. I want to say it was Freespace 2? That was cool as poo poo.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yea, Freespace.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whoreunn hit hitting all the prescribed talking point there.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Current Funding
2019-11-26 $244,392,976

:rip:

Aramoro posted:

I'm going to go for the mathematically calculated value of

$242,199,498

Viscous Soda posted:

$242,779,811.99

Zaphod42 posted:

... what, that's too low???

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That poo poo is still going. They spared no expense.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dante80 posted:

A couple other notable mentions, I played the poo poo out of.

Tachyon: The Fringe

Has to be one of the must underrated (by people who never played it) space games ever. The story and gameplay was just fantastic.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no_recall posted:

Current Funding
2019-11-26 $244,392,976

loving CIG, i highball and they lowball.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Captain posted:

But you see, Elon did it on purpose to generate viral publicity! All went according to plan.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

this has to be peak star citizen lmao. dreams.jpg

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beet Wagon posted:

this has to be peak star citizen lmao. dreams.jpg

Star Citizen: Just pretend the engines are on

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

loving CIG, i highball and they lowball.

I have faith in the idiots! Go idiots go!

(looking nervously at my 264M prediction)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

Current Funding
2019-11-26 $244,392,976

I just thought the stone was finally tapped out, clearly there was plenty more blood left in it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

That poo poo is still going. They spared no expense.

They spent thousands of dollars doing mocap just for this sale

And it doesn't even loving look good

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did that guy come from Dunwall? His hands are huge!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So today marks a kind of interesting departure in their ship sales. Specifically, the "Argo Mole," this new mining ship that they've launched after bumping all the other ships from the release schedule for this quarter.

Short version:

Four years ago, they sold this. The Orion, a multicrew mining ship with a whole bunch of hand-waving and dreams.txt about having a crew of 6 or whatever people scan, detonate, and harvest whole asteroids to scoop the good bits out of them. It never materialized, of course, but people still paid 600 or whatever dollars for this ship.

Today, they are selling this. The Mole... a multicrew mining ship for 4 people. Same exact purpose, same crew capacity, but now they actually know how mining works in their game (you shoot a laser at a rock, go figure) and so they can design "Multicrew" gameplay around it. It turns out that the multicrew gameplay is just a bunch of suckers on turrets and one guy driving, but that's pretty advanced for CIG.

So- this is the first time I can recall that one of their dream ships has basically been completely overwritten by reality. Naturally they haven't acknowledged this in any way, and the remaining fans don't really seem... conscious enough to notice. No doubt someone will bring it up at some point and a CIG lackey will say something like "Oh no the Orion is for a totally different type of mining," but the case remains- they are gradually going to replace poo poo they actually sold with poo poo that can be practically implemented, while still lying to the backers about whether or not they're even working on the thing they charged six hundred dollars for.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is multicrew in the game? I thought they were a ways off from implementing that.

Not that it's stopped them from selling multicrew ships before now, but this one is going in the game right now...

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The original scope of Star Citizen was perfectly viable. The game was heavily instanced, with each interaction between players confined to a limited (and temporary) zone that was spun up on a server as needed. Imagine every interaction equivalent to something like Arena Commander. You come in, you fight, you interact, you leave. When you leave the instance dies, stuff inside sits on a timer on some server, and then eventually it simply ceases to be. The end result would have been something really cool, since the game could have been crafted to make every instance an interesting vignette which emphasized the supposed Space Opera nature of the game. We had even gotten excited about the possibility of Capital Ship combat being something complete new, with cap ships never occupying the same space but instead fighting at ranges of thousands of kilometers with real delays between shots. That might have been (more) wishful thinking though; as we're well aware CIG was spinning whatever they wanted. At least it had the advantage of actually being viable.

Instead Chris Roberts turned it into an open world game and hosed it all up, like he fucks up everything he touches.

Somewhere buried in all of this greed, hubris and incompetence, is a doable concept of basically a bigger budget Elite Dangerous with deeper/more varied gameplay, a lot more handcrafted content, better graphics, larger scale player interactions and maybe some light FPS stuff. But they would have needed a custom engine and a clear vision/leadership from the start, and with the Crobbler that was never possible.

The move to LA pretty much declared Chris and Sandi’s real intentions of using their crowdfunded windfall to buy their way into Hollywood, and killed any chance of getting a decent game.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

colonelwest posted:

Somewhere buried in all of this greed, hubris and incompetence, is a doable concept of basically a bigger budget Elite Dangerous with deeper/more varied gameplay, a lot more handcrafted content, better graphics, larger scale player interactions and maybe some light FPS stuff. But they would have needed a custom engine and a clear vision/leadership from the start, and with the Crobbler that was never possible.

The move to LA pretty much declared Chris and Sandi’s real intentions of using their crowdfunded windfall to buy their way into Hollywood, and killed any chance of getting a decent game.

So I guess the question is, did it work? Has there been any objective proof their gambit paid off?

Besides Sandi's aborted attempts at being a film actress has anyone seen proof that they have made significant inroads into the Hollywood industry?

I mean they could have done it the old fashioned way and been casting couch hopefuls, I hear Harvey is still out and about.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is multicrew in the game? I thought they were a ways off from implementing that.

Not that it's stopped them from selling multicrew ships before now, but this one is going in the game right now...

Probably betting on SSOCS would be enough to make it a reality.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Keep doing your thing, friend :allears:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

Probably betting on SSOCS would be enough to make it a reality.

What I like about SSOCS is that it started out as OCS but then they didn't really seem to know what that meant or how to do it so it became SSOCS so I assume in a bit they'll decide they're no idea what that is and add some more words to the salad, Cloud Based Server Side Object Container Streaming!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

awww yeah

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

So I guess the question is, did it work? Has there been any objective proof their gambit paid off?

Yes, it definitely did. Sandi had been able to "act" in films when she couldn't when she was younger.

I know tout said to ignore that but, really, that's all there ever was

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

monkeytek posted:

Besides Sandi's aborted attempts at being a film actress has anyone seen proof that they have made significant inroads into the Hollywood industry?

I mean they could have done it the old fashioned way and been casting couch hopefuls, I hear Harvey is still out and about.

Chris was never really a Hollywood guy even in the very brief time he was there. They allow a lot of guys to helm small bullshit projects; it's not all movie stars and blockbusters out there, no matter the image they like to project. There are a million Crobblers in Hollywood. What there aren't a million of are people who get sued for breach of contract by Kevin Costner and effectively blackballed. Chris's gambit wasn't to "get back into Hollywood," it was to create an IP that rivaled Star Wars so that Hollywood would come to him. That was the logic behind Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and all the other big name actors he was motion capturing before he had a game engine or an idea for a game. Making Sandi an "actress" was just an issue of two separate goals aligning conveniently. Once it was clear none of this was happening, Chris was stuck having to actually make a game, something he's uniquely unqualified to do. Sandi seems to have dipped out; for years I considered her the canary in the coal mine. This latest Citcon gave me the feeling that Chris was almost doing an unofficial handoff of the project, ala Richard Garriott's similar stunt, which I believe was the breaking of the second seal that some in this thread predicted.

The rest of Chris's life will be spent using his unearned windfall to have editing wars on Wikipedia attempting to retcon his life into something worthwhile. In the end, however, the truth will out, and his biography will eventually be "despite early success, he devolved into a career fraud," until the sands of time wipe him away completely.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Aramoro posted:

What I like about SSOCS is that it started out as OCS but then they didn't really seem to know what that meant or how to do it so it became SSOCS so I assume in a bit they'll decide they're no idea what that is and add some more words to the salad, Cloud Based Server Side Object Container Streaming!

Meanwhile some producer is consoling their network programmers "it's ok, soon Amazon will come out with its own cloud gaming servers, and we will be fine"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

monkeytek posted:

Chris would just be a liability to that, wouldn't he? Isn't he industry poison because of that thing with Kevin Costner?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's in, in the sense that you can have multiple people sitting in a ship. They can't do anything, of course, because none of that was ever implemented. They can sit in your turrets and fire the tiny turret guns.

Conveniently, this new ship has a bunch of mining turrets!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

I'd actually take a bet and say the that Tesla Blade Runner Truck gets released, and mostly works as advertised, before the Star Citizen MMO is released in a playable state.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When Kevin Costner of all people has the high-ground on you then you have failed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Noir89 posted:

Fuuuuuuck you now I want to play Eve again and i haven't had the urge for years! :mad:

I blame the other guy. Somewhere out there in Iceland or something is a digital hangar full of stealth recon ships, fully specced battleships, and rogue drone cosplay frigates (that all work as advertised) but I know the folly of reinstalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When Kevin Costner of all people has the high-ground on you then you have failed.

Ironic how Roberts tried to build the field of dreams.