Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a pair of black Johnston and Murphy dress shoes from a thrift store for 17 bucks.

The upper is almost like new and the sole is very gently worn. Hell of a deal.

I’ve been putting off buying new dress shoes for like 5 years at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dear Postmaster General,
I am generally pleased with your service, but seriously, where the gently caress is my theremin?
Sincerely,
GWBBQ (disgruntled)

Mister Speaker posted:

I actually paid money for Toronto Maple Leafs tickets. :( I've never seen a hockey game (barring my stepdad's old timers league, and some college classmates) in my entire life. Seen everything else there is at the ScotiaBank Arena: concerts, the Raptors, even the Toronto Rock, but never hockey.

So I treated myself to two tix, to their December 4th game against the Avalanche. Mostly to see my favourite player, Kadri, who is just killing it since the Leafs traded him to Colorado.

Seeing games live is awesome. You're going to have a blast.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Really excited about the radio though! It's in beautiful condition cosmetically. The cord is totally hosed so I don't know if it actually works. Being in such good shape I'm optimistic that with a new cord it'll fire up for some wonderful AM and shortwave goodness. There's even a phono input! Even if I can't get it to work I'm just going to appreciate it as nice antique furniture.

I've done zero research into what I've got so if anyone knows anything about old radios I'd appreciate some info and advice.
That radio is absolutely beautiful and for the love of God, do not plug it without bringing it to an expert. You will spend a couple hundred dollars having it restored but it's worth it. First of all, the cord is undoubtedly bad at this point and will immediately set itself on fire and/or electrocute you. Second, bringing the tubes up to line voltage abruptly rather than using a variac will blow some or all of them and may also set various components on fire; forget the amplifier circuit, the 6G5 Macic Eye tube from the display is $70 alone. Third, I can't remember if that model uses a selenium rectifier or not, but if you plug it in and the inrush current blows it out, you will spend several weeks or months in exile and your garage in quarantine until the rest of humanity is able to tolerate the smell.

If you don't know exactly what I mean by "pop off the back and watch for bad tubes as you bring it up on a variac," don't try. Don't be afraid to admit you're not an expert and consult one.

skooma512 posted:

Got a pair of black Johnston and Murphy dress shoes from a thrift store for 17 bucks.

The upper is almost like new and the sole is very gently worn. Hell of a deal.

I’ve been putting off buying new dress shoes for like 5 years at this point
Get the soles and heels replaced as needed and you have a pair of shoes that will last you a lifetime.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Nov 21, 2019

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Really excited about the radio though! It's in beautiful condition cosmetically. The cord is totally hosed so I don't know if it actually works. Being in such good shape I'm optimistic that with a new cord it'll fire up for some wonderful AM and shortwave goodness. There's even a phono input! Even if I can't get it to work I'm just going to appreciate it as nice antique furniture.

I've done zero research into what I've got so if anyone knows anything about old radios I'd appreciate some info and advice.
Double posting to reiterate DO NOT PLUG THIS IN, IT WILL CATCH FIRE, KILL YOU, MAKE YOU SMELL LIKE SATAN'S rear end in a top hat FOR TWO MONTHS, OR A COMBINATION OF THE ABOVE.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

GWBBQ posted:

Double posting to reiterate DO NOT PLUG THIS IN, IT WILL CATCH FIRE, KILL YOU, MAKE YOU SMELL LIKE SATAN'S rear end in a top hat FOR TWO MONTHS, OR A COMBINATION OF THE ABOVE.

Very much understood. I can do minor electrical stuff around the house and in the car. Definitely out of my element with this thing. Here's what it looks like around back.

That cord is beyond hosed. Everything seems complete though. The cord that connects that big drum antenna to the dial on the front is missing but I'm guessing that's the least of what needs done. The label with the model and patent info is even there, as well as the envelope which was supposed to contain the manual. Unfortunately there isn't anything inside.

A quick search reveals that it's pre-war. Manufactured from '40-'41. Seems like there's plenty of info out there. Right now I just plan on reattaching the grill clothe and the trim piece near the top and polishing it up real nice. Getting it fixed is gonna have to happen sometime down the road. So many projects with the new house that have priority over the old radio.

I cleaned the spider eggs out of it, gave it a good wipe down and moved it out of the garage. I really love it. The kitty seems to like it too :)

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's a nice fuckin kitty right there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Extreme fleshlight

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just bought a ride in this thing to land in the grand canyon... Didn't realize I needed champagne at the bottom of the grand canyon in my life

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait so helicopters are allowed but not drones? What an elitist gatekeeping attitude.

Really though that looks sick. Mind telling how much it costs?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Very much understood. I can do minor electrical stuff around the house and in the car. Definitely out of my element with this thing. Here's what it looks like around back.

That cord is beyond hosed. Everything seems complete though. The cord that connects that big drum antenna to the dial on the front is missing but I'm guessing that's the least of what needs done. The label with the model and patent info is even there, as well as the envelope which was supposed to contain the manual. Unfortunately there isn't anything inside.

A quick search reveals that it's pre-war. Manufactured from '40-'41. Seems like there's plenty of info out there. Right now I just plan on reattaching the grill clothe and the trim piece near the top and polishing it up real nice. Getting it fixed is gonna have to happen sometime down the road. So many projects with the new house that have priority over the old radio.

I cleaned the spider eggs out of it, gave it a good wipe down and moved it out of the garage. I really love it. The kitty seems to like it too :)

Your fire hazard is beautiful. I count at least spots where it might catch fire if you plug it in and another 7 where it will almost certainly do so. Here's a link to the schematic so you don't have to give some random rear end in a top hat your personal information for access to a document that's in the public domain.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_3f5-LoufWhQUR2T0tYbWVMRHhzQklYVkRlc2RZODVjSWtz/view?usp=sharing
I have to commend you and any previous owner for storing it as the only wear I can see is from aging and not bad conditions (unlike two I had to junk after a basement flood and still want to cry about)

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Nov 23, 2019

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean why not just walk down? It's a nice way to spend a day, and you know, exercise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fyallm posted:

Just bought a ride in this thing to land in the grand canyon... Didn't realize I needed champagne at the bottom of the grand canyon in my life

Seems like something a landlord would do.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait so helicopters are allowed but not drones? What an elitist gatekeeping attitude.

A couple of companies have gotten pernission (aka prolly paid them off) from the locals to land.

It was about $350 and they waived the fee for ke to sit in the front seat of the helicopter.

It was definitely awesome and something I'm so glad I decided to do. And seeing the hoover dam from up high was sweet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seems like something a landlord would do.

Yeah! Or someone with a hundred bucks on vacation!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fyallm posted:

A couple of companies have gotten pernission (aka prolly paid them off) from the locals to land.

It was about $350 and they waived the fee for ke to sit in the front seat of the helicopter.

It was definitely awesome and something I'm so glad I decided to do. And seeing the hoover dam from up high was sweet.

the Russians used their feet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just bought four tickets to the Bears game tomorrow. I love it when they're doing lovely because everything is basically on sale. Got 200 level seats for less than $100 each all in. I'm off Monday too, so this worked out perfectly!

edit:
My hope is I'll be at the game where they bench Trubisky!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just bought four tickets to the Bears game tomorrow. I love it when they're doing lovely because everything is basically on sale. Got 200 level seats for less than $100 each all in. I'm off Monday too, so this worked out perfectly!

edit:
My hope is I'll be at the game where they bench Trubisky!

Good news!
https://twitter.com/NFLFanBlitz/status/1198230529662947330?s=20

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Good" is always a stretch when applied to Trubisky.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
After 12 years, I have finally done it. No longer the babby goon, I am a big boy now.

Username: BetterToRuleInHell
The account 'BetterToRuleInHell' has been upgraded to platinum status.
You can now use the forums search engine, upload image attachments, exchange
private messages with others users, and use the report button to alert
moderators of abusive posts.

--------------------------------------------------

The account 'BetterToRuleInHell' has been granted archives access. To
browse archives, use the date chooser at the top of a forum to select a month
and year to browse. Visiting any link to an archived thread will load that
thread transparently as if it were a live thread!

The account 'BetterToRuleInHell' has been upgraded to ad-free status.
You will no longer see commercial advertising banners that we normally display
on the site. If you would like to still view the member-created banners, you
can enable them in your forums user control panel.

Your title change has been processed and applied to the user account. It should
show up on the forums within a few minutes.

Tell me you love me now, Lowtax!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mu Zeta posted:

Between the excessive noise pollution and emissions, the helicopters are actually a huge issue, especially with the three indigenous tribes that live in the Colorado River confluence area and the wildlife that struggles to function with the noise pollution. The primary helicopter landing area outside the park is the busiest helicopter landing pad in the world, and regularly receives hundreds of flights every hour. The worst part is the locals don’t see any of the money this brings in, and there’s a lot of pressure to further develop the confluence with lies about economic development from investors.

Just to be clear, I think it’s pretty rad you got to experience the canyon in a helicopter! I just wanted to add the context of fixable indigenous issues.

Also this thread isn’t about the grinding poverty and exploitation of native peoples and lands, so lemme talk about my recent discovery of Chinese Legos instead!

Went to the Cincinnati Science Museum the other day and in the Apollo 11 exhibition a docent had the LEGO Saturn V Rocket model to take apart and show kids, so I decided to pick up a set based on how neat it was in person:

I haven’t touched legos in probably 20 years, so naturally I went hog wild, picked up all my childhood legos from my parents, and started looking for other bigass sets to build. Discovered that apparently some Chinese knockoff legos are better than megablocks, so went down the rabbit hole looking for Lepin sets and bought:

A Launch Tower Gantry for the Saturn V Rocket

A stupid big “justice magicians castle” because, why not?

If these actually work out... I don’t see where this rabbit hole ends :homebrew:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OSU_Matthew posted:

If these actually work out... I don’t see where this rabbit hole ends :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/BeyondtheBrick/status/1121624501475614721

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That Saturn V LEGO set is awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Early Black Friday thing from GameStop, two games and a refurbished 3DS for $150

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rolo posted:

That Saturn V LEGO set is awesome.

Not empty quoting

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I got an i5 9600K, new mobo and 32 gigs of ddr4 ram.

Oh, and a Rift S.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fortunately only the boxes were actually destroyed in the raid, everything I’ve been buying is just shipping in generic boxes now lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone had any luck with cheap Bluetooth earbuds? I need a pair for commuting on the subway so passive isolation from silicone tips is important, as is decent battery life and if the case is compact enough to slip into my jeans.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone had any luck with cheap Bluetooth earbuds? I need a pair for commuting on the subway so passive isolation from silicone tips is important, as is decent battery life and if the case is compact enough to slip into my jeans.

Anker.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

This is the right answer for budget bluetooth earbuds. I'm no judge of sound quality, but I know they are built better than most Chinese knockoffs. The few sets I've had outlasted everything else I tried.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got myself a double breasted wool overcoat with zip-up sweater lining at Kohl's.
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1537834/chaps-double-breasted-wool-blend-overcoat-men.jsp?color=Black&prdPV=2

I didn't realize it was on sale and was fully willing to pay full price at $250 because at 6'8" (203cm) tall, it's nearly impossible to find something that can be tailored to fit, nevermind fit off the rack. My current full length Ralph Lauren overcoat is starting to show its age after ~15 years and the shoulder my laptop and/or messenger bag goes over is starting to get threadbare, so this was a very timely find.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Because building things is fun. I'm trying to justify the SIV to myself but I don't really have a place to put it and I'm thinking modeling and 3D printing a scale replica so I can't justify that one.

I also got a lower footprint vertical microphone stand for my theremin because the three-footed one is a bit big and my mic is already mounted overhead. The theremin is a unique beast to master, but I had hoped to be a concert violinist before I hosed up my shoulder, so a lot of technique transfers more directly than you would expect.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Got some boxing gear.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Got the Lego rocket in and assembled everything the other night:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/Fm7buAA.jpg][/timg]

Also bought some more knockoff legos, including one of the absurd model star destroyers and some town buildings like a library and whatnot:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Who is your Lepin dealer? I have been wary of the Ali express stuff since I’ve never done it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really want those street shop sets but the LEGO versions are $150+.
I'd be happy with the cinema, pet shop and one other. I certainly don't have the space to make a metropolis like I've always wanted.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

djfooboo posted:

Who is your Lepin dealer? I have been wary of the Ali express stuff since I’ve never done it.

Reads like a club kid asking about a new designer drug.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
But in this case the designer is Sweden and the drug is Lego.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got Death Stranding from a goon in SA Mart. Can't wait for it to show up Friday.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got the Lego rocket in and assembled everything the other night:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/Fm7buAA.jpg][/timg]

Also bought some more knockoff legos, including one of the absurd model star destroyers and some town buildings like a library and whatnot:

When China arrests on copyright infringement you know it's bad.
https://brickset.com/article/43475/police-raid-lepin-factory-owner-arrested

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Bought some sony wf-1000xm3 since I lost the previous version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Aramek posted:

But in this case the designer is Sweden and the drug is Lego.

Denmark.

Ordered a bouquet of roses delivered to my Mom on her birthday. Also speaking of the Lego NASA stuff (and birthdays) I ordered this set for a lady I'm kind of crazy about for her b-day:

Do gifts count ITT? W/E. If not, I'll probably treat myself to some camera gear and drugs later on tonight.