Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Azubah posted:

Anything I should know about Super Robot Wars V? My only experience with the series was the super grindy one on the GBA that came out in the States years ago.

Play the tutorial.

Save your TacPs until you get access to the shop so you have a fuller picture of what you can do with them.

After Stage 8 everyone but the main character and the cameo duo (if you have them) will temporarily leave due to plot. You do get everyone back, but because of this temporary sabbatical you might want to focus more on upgrading the originals in the early stages. Remember you can unequip parts from units that you don't currently possess, so don't worry about that.

SR Points have little effect on anything but the difficulty. Don't feel pressured to get them if you're having trouble.

It may not be immediately apparent but consumable items come back after every stage so feel free to use them.

Pay attention to Ace and Custom bonuses and try and get them for any units you like. Ace Bonuses are acquired per pilot at 60 kills and the Custom bonus is acquired by upgrading all of a units stats except weapons to 5 bars. They vary by pilot and unit, but many of them are very good. Ace Bonuses tend to be better, but they also take more time and effort compared to Custom Bonuses.

Proud Ace is a very good skill, but don't bother getting it until a pilot is at or around 50 kills, until then save the TacP for something else.

Spirit Commands can be used on the enemy turn in V, so you can use them reactively to dodge and block attacks.

Once it unlocks check the shop after every stage, you may get some nice bonuses from it.

Speaking of the shop for almost all of the game you're better of saving up for the special parts rather than buying the rotating stock. Some of the shop parts are extremely powerful and well worth saving up for.

There's arguments to be made about every way can you spend your TacPs. Personally I prioritized TacP customization, then special parts, then pilot skills, but your mileage may very.

After you beat the game go check the unit and character profiles again, they provide a wealth of additional information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's a pretty easy game so just have fun with it. It's a lot easier now than older srw's.

Also v has an hilariously game breaking unit that you get in the last 15 stages or so, you'll likely know what it is when you get it. Just sit back and watch enemies commit suicide trying to kill it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, in terms of 'hilariously game breaking', you get the Yamato almost from the word 'go'.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Warmachine posted:

You reminded me that I needed to continue my rewatch and not get distracted by things like watching Gundam X or G Gundam. And Kamille loving drives me batshit.

Does anyone have a super cut of people beating the poo poo out of Kamille?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IUyqenD7kU

For real, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9aXIMyFao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's a pretty easy game so just have fun with it. It's a lot easier now than older srw's.

Also v has an hilariously game breaking unit that you get in the last 15 stages or so, you'll likely know what it is when you get it. Just sit back and watch enemies commit suicide trying to kill it.

Are you talking about the Mazinger Zero or something else? There's a lot of very powerful mecha in that game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's the best gundam game that let's me pilot the tallgeese

Also, same question, but the zakrello

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What's the best gundam game that let's me pilot the tallgeese

Also, same question, but the zakrello

Gundam Breaker 3 for the Tallgeese, Gundam Battle Universe for the Zakrello. Maybe Climax UC, don’t remember offhand if it’s playable in that one.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Feel free to hit up the SRW thread in the Games forum too. G Gen Cross Rays is definitely going to be discussed here & there.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

As someone having a... Let's say up and down, to say experience with Victory Gundam, I both understand why there isn't and wish there was better Einerad merch. :P

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Feel free to hit up the SRW thread in the Games forum too. G Gen Cross Rays is definitely going to be discussed here & there.

For anyone thinking about picking up Cross Rays, the PC port is hilariously broken rn. The damage calcs are hosed up, so everything one shots everything, so you basically can't progress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

For anyone thinking about picking up Cross Rays, the PC port is hilariously broken rn. The damage calcs are hosed up, so everything one shots everything, so you basically can't progress.

And that’s if you can even launch it!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

As someone having a... Let's say up and down, to say experience with Victory Gundam, I both understand why there isn't and wish there was better Einerad merch. :P

zanscare has some top tier suit design and it's a real shame most of that stuff hasn't been revived somehow

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

zanscare has some top tier suit design and it's a real shame most of that stuff hasn't been revived somehow

Yup. The Gottrlattan needs some love at the very least, considering that it's the series's mascot villain suit. Basing mecha off dogū was inspired, and the effect when they open their eyes is super-creepy.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Like, the thing is I'd been told ahead of time about the entire Motorad Fleet thing. What I didn't expect was that I'd love it not just for how ridiculous it is but how genuinely cool the suits and ships are in action.

Duker Iq knows his bikes, I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

The Einerad did get a Gundam Converge figure last year. Might be a bit hard to track down now, but it hasn't been completely forgotten by Bandai.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm fairly partial to the converge stuff but that one weirdly feels eh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, and in case anyone cares, the new SD Gundam series is now 5 episodes in, and it is still terrible.

It's kind of amazing, really. If you're doing monthly half length episodes, you'd think that, you know, you'd try to adjust the pacing for that. Every episode advancing the plot a lot while being self contained, a small and focused cast, and no filler.

That is not how this show decided to approach things. Instead you have a cast of dozens, most of them barely characterized, a plot that advances in the most random patterns, and whole episodes spent on nothing much happening at all.

I know we all say things we don't mean in the moment, but man. This is making me think more fondly of Twilight Axis. Yes, it was a total confusing disaster, and yes, I grant you that it was terrible, and fine, there were episodes of Homestar Runner with deeper character development in the same runtime, but it was an interesting failure. Even putting aside the source material apparently being decent, there was a real "Wait, what. WHAT?" feeling to it that gave you something to discuss. And hey, it's a Gundam series with a female lead. We don't exactly have many of those. At most it's just Twilight Axis and Stargazer. (Skipping the Zeta Gundam and Turn A jokes. We can all make them for ourselves by now.)

SD Gundam Sangoku Soketsuden is just the boring kind of bad. There's no attempt at building a scene, or having a consistent tone, or setting up action scenes with a good flow. There's just 15 minutes of bad jokes and the least dramatic zombie apocalypse in the history of anime.

I mean, I get that I'm not the target audience, but geeze.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So someone posted something interesting on /m/. Some anon went to a Tomino exhibition in Hyoga a few days ago, and took a few photos, including this photo about the end of Turn A Gundam, which mentions something about Dianna's state.

I can only do a machine translation, after someone posted the text, but I'm wondering if anyone can do a real translation:

quote:

『∀ガンダム』という物語の最後を飾るのは、「奇跡の6分」とも呼ばれる登場人物たちの、その後の姿に優しく寄り添うシーンの連なりである。その中でディアナの肉体が衰えつつあることがさりげなくもはっきりと示される。ディアナの地球への帰還は、いつか彼女の命がついえ、大地へと還ることを意味する。ディアナは月では冷凍睡眠によって、人間の肉体の限界を超える長い年月を生きてきたが、地球でようやく最後の眠りを迎えるだろう。ロランが彼女にかける言葉は、眠り、目覚め、また眠る、私たち人間の命のサイクルを喜ぶものである。「また明日」という約束はいつか破られる時がくる。だからこそ、この毎日交される約束は、明日という未来が輝かしい価値を帯びていることを表現する力をもっているのである。(小林)

Google Translate posted:

The end of the story of “Samurai Gundam” is a series of scenes where characters, also known as “Miraculous 6 Minutes,” tenderly cuddled afterwards. It reveals casually clearly that the body of Diana is declining. Diana's return to Earth means that one day her life will return and return to the earth. Diana has been living on the moon for a long time, surpassing the limits of the human body, with frozen sleep, but will finally have a final sleep on Earth. The words Loran puts on her rejoices the cycle of our lives, sleeping, awakening and sleeping. The time will come when the promise tomorrow will be broken. That is why the promises made every day have the power to express that the future of tomorrow has brilliant value. (Kobayashi)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Instead you have a cast of dozens, most of them barely characterized, a plot that advances in the most random patterns, and whole episodes spent on nothing much happening at all.
Honestly this probably describes more of Gundam than it doesn't.

But yeah SD Sangoku is still pretty bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, this episode of Build Divers certainly explained why they've been so cagey about the WaDom Pod's model kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Honestly this probably describes more of Gundam than it doesn't.

But yeah SD Sangoku is still pretty bad.

Fair, but most Gundam is around 50 full length episodes. A boring filler episode in a fifty episode set is kind of to be expected, or at least not particularly harmful. Similarly, with 50 episodes you can get a couple scenes for all the minor characters to give them a little depth without distracting from the main narrative. (I know I'm more bullish on IBO than some people here, but I feel it was pretty good at that. Vidar Rising had some scenes for almost everyone in the cast, from Chad's shock at Nadi's romantic life to Iok continuing to be a complete dumbass in combat.) Even being meandering can be more okay, with the plot forming smaller arcs of interest, even if they don't advance things much overall.

In a short show like Sangoku, you don't have the room to do that. It's like comparing a novel and a short story. A tangent that'd just be a little obnoxious in one kills the other.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, this episode of Build Divers certainly explained why they've been so cagey about the WaDom Pod's model kit.

I know, it's great. I had my suspicions that May was an AI, but I didn't expect her to have a mobile suit that looks like her to pop out of her WaDom. :allears: Something about the design and color scheme reminds me of King Gainer.

I liked this episode. It answered some questions, raised some new ones and had more character development. The fact Hiroto got knocked out and dreamed about an old memory andgot his avatar injured is really worrisome, especially when the preview shows he's got a bruise on his forehead IRL.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kazami saying that "Things are finally becoming gundamlike" at the start of the episode was prophetic as gently caress. The animation while still spartan felt well choreographed, the music was pretty good, the team actually fighting together with both Kazami and Hiroto displaying leadership qualities that reveal at the end was all great. Hell from a gunpla selling perspective its also good since they have ANOTHER type of gunpla they can use in the show to target different demographics.

So is May An EL-Diver that customizes her player avatar to look like her suit? that but backwards? Or a human that customizes her avatar to look like her EL-Diver?

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 28, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So is May An EL-Diver that customizes her player avatar to look like her suit? that but backwards? Or a human that customizes her avatar to look like her EL-Diver?

If it works like it did in Divers, her Gunpla was customized to look like her in-game avatar, and then she just scans that Gunpla in so she has a Gunpla in the game.

Speaking of Build Divers, this is the second season in a row, out of a total of two seasons, of the Divers sub sub series, where the fact that a character is an AI was hidden by just not having the characters talk about their IRL lives at all.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If thats the case its still done much better than in the previous season because we dont know anything about the lives of the other team members, we actually see her log out and in, and shes shown having familiar relationships with people that we know are real that aren't part of the main cast

It was incredibly jarring in the first season, way more natural in this case.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This is a good twist. In build divers, it was incredibly obvious that Sarah was an A.I. because she acted so different from the rest of the cast. Sarah acted very strangely at times and would talk to gunpla or whatever. The cast were clearly established to be close friends early on, other than Ayame, but even she got details about her past when the characters talked to her. All of the main cast subsequently met in real life. Sarah was a complete blank slate that no one ever asked any private details about. The nature of the characters relationships resulted in the twist being stupid. These supposedly good friends never noticed all the weird details with Sarah and how she never talked about the real world?

Re Rise, the people don't know each other. They are getting closer and becoming friends, but they're still at the point when they're not opening up about their private lives. None of them have met in real life. So the fact that no one asks May about her personal details is no big deal, since they haven't done that with any other member.

Plus May's personality is similar to Hiroto's which is something I complained about earlier. However, we know that Hirito's a real person, so I assumed May was one as well. May's been shown to have relationships with other characters in the game, which funniely enough makes her seem more human than Hirito was.

to sum up, build divers really sucks and re rise has been pretty good so far.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 28, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, another thing that ties into it is that so far El-Divers have all been shown to be empaths to a degree and yeah we got hints of this in the previous episode with how accurately May can tell Hiroto, but that sort of trait usually doesn't show in the silent loner character type. You expect El-Divers to be more emotional than her.

Ahhh I just realized that El-Divers are newtypes

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 28, 2019

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I quite liked this episode's twist in regards to May, but in relation to the larger story it makes our protagonists look like complete idiots. if EL-divers are an established and known concept at this point in time you'd really think they'd have figured out, or at least suspected that the animal people are EL-divers by now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I quite liked this episode's twist in regards to May, but in relation to the larger story it makes our protagonists look like complete idiots. if EL-divers are an established and known concept at this point in time you'd really think they'd have figured out, or at least suspected that the animal people are EL-divers by now

There's way too many of them, though. The first season was about a single AI literally ripping apart the game by existing, and May's 'suit' is basically a USB to contain her, just like Sarah's was. An entire community of hundreds of fully self-aware AIs chilling out deep in the game's code is completely inconceivable.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Droyer posted:

I think it depends on how much the knowledge of El-Divers has spread. Hinata doesn't play GBN and had to ask about it, so anyone new to GBN like Par might not know about El-Divers. The first episode also mentions that GBN got a big upgrade and one of the new features are advanced Non-Player Divers that have a broader range of action than before. Unless you know the other person well, then it's tough to tell if someone's an El-Diver or just an NPD.

Plus, I think the protagonists not really suspecting things makes sense for their characterization. Kazami treats them like they're just NPDs and wants to advance the story. Par is just too happy to be part of a team to question things. Mey and Hiroto might suspect they're El-Divers, but Hiroto's not the type to say anything. Mey already reports to Magee, and also doesn't talk about it because she probably doesn't want the animal people to have an existential crisis if they're not aware they're in a game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

There's way too many of them, though. The first season was about a single AI literally ripping apart the game by existing, and May's 'suit' is basically a USB to contain her, just like Sarah's was. An entire community of hundreds of fully self-aware AIs chilling out deep in the game's code is completely inconceivable.

Yeaaah this is pretty stupid, even just for May's existence alone. They over-played their hand and solidly explained the problem too well last season; Sarah's very existence was filling a global cloud system's worth of RAM with her very being, and it's not something that can be optimized down to a portable drive. Anyone with a BASIC understanding of computers can tell you that all that goes right back into active memory when she'd load into the game and the system would poo poo itself all over again. Having multiple El-Divers exist should be literally impossible.

Also it probably tanks May as a character too, because instead of getting to stay a cool and level-headed character the show's probably gonna drag out the old Pinocchio archetypr of wanting to be a real happy-sunshine anime girl :nallears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 29, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah this is pretty stupid, even just for May's existence alone. They over-played their hand and solidly explained the problem too well last season; Sarah's very existence was filling a global cloud system's worth of RAM with her very being, and it's not something that can be optimized down to a portable drive. Anyone with a BASIC understanding of computers can tell you that all that goes right back into active memory when she'd load into the game and the system would poo poo itself all over again. Having multiple El-Divers exist should be literally impossible.

Also it probably tanks May as a character too, because instead of getting to stay a cool and level-headed character the show's probably gonna drag out the old Pinocchio archetypr of wanting to be a real happy-sunshine anime girl :nallears:.

I never even bothered watching past the half way point of Divers to get to any of the stuff about Sarah and memory, but I find it more ridiculous that her existence could take up a whole cloud system and that anyone would go "Well, our video game is more important and a better money making investment than the creation of digital life". The fact memory could advance by enough in 10 years or whatever that's between the shows so that Sarah's data could go from taking up all the memory in a cloud, to being a tiny portion of the overall system because it's grown so large is pretty much what'd I'd expect, at least when taking dramatic exaggeration of events in to account. Hard drives were only a few megabytes a few decades ago, and now terabyte hard drives are normal, so while doing it in 10 years instead of 30 is exaggerated, it's also not entirely unreasonable.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
God this is reminding me of how stupid Build Divers was.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its been only 2 years since the second coalition battle happened, so I doubt technology has drastically advanced. At most the codebase could have been revamped to allow EL-Divers to not clog the memory.

Also Re-rise is retconning Sarah's deal from what we can infer so far Hiroto's mystery EL must have been running concurrently with Sarah since his personality changed right after the coalition battle. So its not just one EL that caused the issue, there could have been a whole lot more.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thought it was lost forever but I found my copy of MS Era in my parents basement last night. Time to add it to the bookshelf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Having finally seen the plot of 00F via Cross Rays:

Fon Spaak is the stupidest motherfucking character in Gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Having finally seen the plot of 00F via Cross Rays:

Fon Spaak is the stupidest motherfucking character in Gundam.

I've never read any of the Gundam 00 manga, but it seemed like every one of them went to extremes of edginess and animeness by building catgirls and murderhobos and so on in to the setting specifically for their own story. I suppose the same is true of a lot of Gundam manga, but at least manga like Astray are completely self-aware of the absurdity they truck in and just go completely over the top in a comic manner rather than the seeming edginess 00 manga go for; at least, from the impression I get of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its been only 2 years since the second coalition battle happened, so I doubt technology has drastically advanced. At most the codebase could have been revamped to allow EL-Divers to not clog the memory.

Also Re-rise is retconning Sarah's deal from what we can infer so far Hiroto's mystery EL must have been running concurrently with Sarah since his personality changed right after the coalition battle. So its not just one EL that caused the issue, there could have been a whole lot more.

Sarah would fundamentally need GBN existing in the format it did for her processes to squat in billions of minor floating-point values across myriad functions just to live. Patching the game just means she's functionally incompatible with GBN forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Do you think she views the weekly maintenance as going to sleep, or the more existentially terrifying option of being dead for a bit?