Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if that's what happens when he stops drinking or whether that's all the uppers he's taking to counteract the drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1199722617156100097

Just lying to the leader of the opposition to get him to take on a hostile interviewer, as you do.

Bardeh posted:

loving hell he's decaying before our very eyes

Don't worry he's setting up his stash for when he doesn't have to pretend he's stopped drinking until Brexit has happened. The PAWs will go away any time now.

E: Actually, I could seriously believe that he's in withdrawal. He's doing the 'This was such a poo poo day I'm just going to take a sip to get rid of the craving' thing I normally do around week 3/4 of my bi-annual detox sessions.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looks like he's literally turning into the Majora's Mask moon meme

If that moon was also somehow a blobfish

Boris Johnson: out of his depth

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
lol if Labour wins but Boris keeps his seat I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns immediately. Bottler Boris decides "gently caress this!" :D

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
One of the Clives is dead, further specifics unavailable

https://twitter.com/Mrrammy/status/1199722405972852739?s=19

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I would say that I fully expect Neil to do an empty chair interview if Boris doesn't turn up, but lets face it, that would go against the BBC's current political agenda.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Clive Lewis wasn't that old, surprised he's gone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Clive Lewis wasn't that old, surprised he's gone.

You're thinking of the guy from Children of Men and Sin City.

Clive Lewis is the department store with the soppy Christmas ads

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FiftySeven posted:

I would say that I fully expect Neil to do an empty chair interview if Boris doesn't turn up, but lets face it, that would go against the BBC's current political agenda.

That would better for the Tories in every way

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

pitch a fitness posted:

UCU strike day 3 report: Someone brought our picket some fairy cakes :unsmith:

Quiet at our building today as most staff are opting to stay home, whether they're striking or not. I would place about 50% of this being due to the weather though (our building's a fair walk from anywhere commutable).

Feel like I'm getting better at the upsell: this is more than pensions, this about equality, workload, and security etc... & have people 'thinking about' joining the union. I guess I have a week to see whether that materialises.

I'm finding it easier to sell it as an issue of zero-hour contracts and casualisation. Really disappointed with some of my colleagues though. 'I'm too busy to go on strike', as if those of us on the picket aren't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hellraiser is really good and Undying is a very underappreciated game.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So is the story for the week Corbyn supposedly not apologizing for hating the Jews?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Boris Johnson is more of a coward than May.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

The BBC has confirmed that Clive James passed away. Hell of a good run, he's been in the edge for at least five years now.

E: just shy of ten years. And if you want to put it on topic, much of the reason he lasted so long was down to the staff at Addenbrooke's Hospital.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was it 'Clave' Clive (musician), 'Cleve' Clive (duke), 'Clove' Clive (chef), 'Cleverly' Clive (James), 'Clive' Clive (Department of Redundancy Department) or 'Cloven' Clive (cow)?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^^^ :prepop:

Jedit posted:

The BBC has confirmed that Clive James passed away. Hell of a good run, he's been in the edge for at least five years now.

Edging can be fun but this is a cautionary lesson in not overdoing it

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Anyone else noticed James Cleverly's left eyebrow raises when he lies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if he's been banging the guy from U2 for ten years straight I'd say he's had a good run.

jiggerypokery posted:

So he's just permanently doing the dreamworks face?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

jiggerypokery posted:

an easier tell is that his lips are moving

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if he's been banging the guy from U2 for ten years straight I'd say he's had a good run.

Ah yeah the old "Why did Bono fall off the stage?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Boris Johnson clubbing seals article in telegraph:

It's here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3604846/So-whats-wrong-with-clubbing-seals.html

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Has anyone talked about Boris Johnson being the editor of the spectator who hired the Neonazi Taki, kept him on despite Boris’s own father ( Charles Wheeler) in law begged him to fire Taki after he wrote that Bongo Bongo land article and he refused. After Taki wrote an article calling himself a “Soi Distant Antisemite” and attacked the owner of the spectator for marrying a Jewish woman, Conrad Black asked Boris to fire Taki, and he refused. Taki wrote for the spectator for as long as Boris was editor, and Boris gave him a special issue, celebrating his “glorious 25 years”

it’s literally all in Boris’s Biography.

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...agazine&f=false

In 2001, in the middle of Johnson's time as Spectator editor, Taki wrote an anti-Semitic column so extreme that it prompted Conrad Black, owner of The Spectator and not someone who could be accused of an unfair bias against the publication, to complain that "In both its venomous character and its unfathomable absurdity, this farrago of lies is almost worthy of Goebbels or the authors of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion... [Taki] presents the universal Jewish ethos as brutish, vulgar, grasping and cunningly wicked."

guess who kept Taki on the payroll, against the wish of the owner.

If you think it’s the editor, Boris Johnson, you win a prize

PawParole fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

From zero to racist in one paragraph. Impressive :golfclap:

And then it gets worse...

Edit: Wahey, flippant reference to the Rwandan genocide:

That oval office Johnson posted:

Here is a fellow who rises and puts on his great big waterproof boots and his great big waterproof hat. Then he picks up a horrible knobkerrie, studded with nails, gives his wife a loving kiss, and strides on to ice floes where he sets about him with a terrible Hutu-style slaughter. Bonk bash bonk he goes, like some demented axeman, and nothing will stop him. The telephoto lenses of the RSPCA cameras whirr and click.

quote:

But I put it to you none the less that the Canadian fisherman has as much right to go out clubbing as the average British 18-year-old tanktopped bumboy.

Fixed that for you, Boris.

quote:

Is there anyone who could possibly attempt to justify this kind of barbarity? Will anyone stand up for the seal cull? Well, ahem, at the risk of terminally alienating and offending animal-lovers across the country, it is the duty of this column — which ever puts logic above popularity — to have a go.

I tell you why the seal cull speaks so powerfully to us. It’s telly, innit? It’s the shocking undisguisable picture of the lone killer on the ice floe, the graphic impact of the red on the white.

The seal cull provides a uniquely powerful image of what is in fact an everyday event: the violence of man against animals, and the slaughter of animals by man. It is the sheer conspicuousness of that killing that prompts, in our breasts, our exaggerated response: which I might compare, finally, with the agonies now being endured by those of us who supported the war in Iraq.

Logical edgelord Bojo knows what's up.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 27, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Admittedly it was a long time ago since I tried to read it, but "Cultural Amnesia" by Clive James was the first book I ever read that was so intolerably liberal that I physically couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Anyway, aside from that and cheating on his wife (who wrote a banger of a book about Dante and the Divine Comedy) he was still an excellent writer and a forgotten treasure. RIP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PawParole posted:

Has anyone talked about Boris Johnson being the editor of the spectator who hired the Neonazi Taki, kept him on despite Boris’s own father ( Charles Wheeler) in law begged him to fire Taki after he wrote that Bongo Bongo land article and he refused. After Taki wrote an article calling himself a “Soi Distant Antisemite” and attacked the owner of the spectator for marrying a Jewish woman, Conrad Black asked Boris to fire Taki, and he refused. Taki wrote for the spectator for as long as Boris was editor, and Boris gave him a special issue, celebrating his “glorious 25 years”

In 2001, in the middle of Johnson's time as Spectator editor, Taki wrote an anti-Semitic column so extreme that it prompted Conrad Black, owner of The Spectator and not someone who could be accused of an unfair bias against the publication, to complain that "In both its venomous character and its unfathomable absurdity, this farrago of lies is almost worthy of Goebbels or the authors of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion... [Taki] presents the universal Jewish ethos as brutish, vulgar, grasping and cunningly wicked."

guess who kept Taki on the payroll, against the wish of the owner.

If you think it’s the editor, Boris Johnson, you win a prize

That sounds like effort to me, big man say jeremy bad, jeremy bad, why jeremy not sorry for bad, bad jeremy.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

PawParole posted:

How could you leave out the bit right after that:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1199716484689383424
What an amazing methodology.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sinky posted:

How could you leave out the bit right after that:

I hate him so much. I hate him

gently caress

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If bookies are the best they can do then they're in trouble.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

RockyB posted:

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1199722617156100097

Just lying to the leader of the opposition to get him to take on a hostile interviewer, as you do.

either that or he pulled out after what happened today and the bbc are covering for him

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dunno why he'd pull out, the whole interview is just gonna be "mr johnson, sir, despite your obvious strength and intelligence, some say they doubt you will get brexit done?"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Like I'm going to take the word of someone who once shat his pants in the middle of an exam

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Most polls on 2017 election day predicted a Tory majority of 60+. We have two weeks to go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Communist Thoughts posted:

i dunno why he'd pull out, the whole interview is just gonna be "mr johnson, sir, despite your obvious strength and intelligence, some say they doubt you will get brexit done?"

Mr. Johnson, your campiagn has the momentum of a runaway frieght train. Why are you so popular?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Squirrel fillets, anyone?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Literally basing it on people loving gambling lmao forever.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Great brain genius Dominic Cummings updated his blog
https://dominiccummings.com/2019/11...-foreign-votes/

It's seems extremely normal and not at all like deranged ranting

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Squirrel fillets, anyone?

If someone doesn't shop a massive cow pat into this well I don't know wtf

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Great brain genius Dominic Cummings updated his blog
https://dominiccummings.com/2019/11...-foreign-votes/

It's seems extremely normal and not at all like deranged ranting

ahahahaha

'advanced political culture' u wot m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Plank Sanction posted:

I'm finding it easier to sell it as an issue of zero-hour contracts and casualisation. Really disappointed with some of my colleagues though. 'I'm too busy to go on strike', as if those of us on the picket aren't.

Yeah it's kind of a shame that pensions are still at the forefront. One question today was 'are you still striking over pensions?' and honestly, I'm not striking for my pension because wtf is 2050 going to look like? I'll strike in solidarity on current pensions, sure, but I'm on the picket because of how contracts and casualisation affected my time as RA.

--

Heard the same from some non-striking academics & it's sad they aren't making the connection between 'too busy' and 'reluctance to strike'.