Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, interesting - I don't think I've seen this, before. What would you say it's similar to? Seems a bit like No Man's Sky or Space Engineers, perhaps

Yeah, its pretty similar to both of those. Its fun to design custom vehicles out of lego pieces, and the workshop has designs for basically every ship from every sci-fi universe. The scale of the ships can get pretty impressive, and you can dock smaller ships onto larger ships to carry them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, its pretty similar to both of those. Its fun to design custom vehicles out of lego pieces, and the workshop has designs for basically every ship from every sci-fi universe. The scale of the ships can get pretty impressive, and you can dock smaller ships onto larger ships to carry them around.

You can dock any ship/hover to any ship/hover now. There's a pre-made blueprint warp sled type deal Small Ship type that you can dock another small ship to that I've been using.

The game is weird and there some jank plus figuring things out since it doesn't like to tell you how some stuff works. If you can work past that or maybe somehow find some tutorials that aren't way out of date (and cheat, I godmoded a lot trying to figure stuff out) or play with someone who knows whats going on it can be fun.

I don't like the XP system, so I turned it to FAST and changed a bunch of the difficulty settings on single player. It's nice that you can turn off/change certain bits, even after you start a save.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Sounds literally exactly like current space engineers. What are the graphics like in comparison? Can you mod it like space engineers, like the exploration mods, survival mods, npc factions mods?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sounds literally exactly like current space engineers. What are the graphics like in comparison? Can you mod it like space engineers, like the exploration mods, survival mods, npc factions mods?

I thought Space Engeneers didn't have combat? Empyrion has a lot of combat in addition to the building/mining. Once your base reaches a certain size it gets noticed by the local Zyrex faction and they start sending assault teams to attack it.

There are mods for Empyrion, mostly custom scenarios. The engine has the ability to script in custom factions/NPCs/buildings/planets/etc. There is also a wealth of pre-made building and ship blueprints.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Has anybody put together a decent video tutorial for Empyrion? Last time I tried to play it I bounced off it hard because of the jank and the bad ingame tutorial.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Space Engineers does have combat, though I've only ever played it with mods. I do like Empyrion but the thing that makes me like Space Engineers more is you can take any enemy you defeat or wreck that you fine and turn it into a "working" space ship by bolting on the parts you need. Empyrion if you find like a crashed space ship all it'll ever be is a base on the ground.

Also that you can set up a whole conveyor system inside your ships to move stuff to where it needs to go, so your ship has actual internals that you need to worry about being damaged. Empyrion sorta has it but its mostly poo poo moves by magic between storage and say a smelter or a manufacturing unit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You can grind crashed ships down to base materials, or whole blocks. But yeah, no joining ships together unfortunately. Empyrion is like a chill, laid back version of Space Engineers. Space Engineers can be tedious and grindy, whereas Empyrion is more about just having fun and loving around, whilst still letting you play semi-seriously.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Did no one tell the green hell developer that you shouldn't expect the player to go around shoving strange unidentified mushrooms into their mouth at the first opportunity?

Cool game but man you're gonna die over and over in the first 15 mins of the game unless you're glued to the wiki. I literally could not find water because the coconut shell out in the rain was not explained to me, nor was soup.

I love the graphics and inventory display but it's got a really weird specific narrow view of a scrounging survival game.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

anyone who also struggle with urw interface learning curve.., some madman on steam uploaded an xbx360 button map and it helped me focus on the more common commands. there are probably some noticeable shortcomings for experienced players tho

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Posted this in the free games thread but quoting myself here.
It was mentioned on page 1 but I recently found out its status to free had been changed (NOT free to play).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

Planet Explorers
Which is now free because they somehow lost the code to it???
I can't really find a good explanation but thats the basics of it.
From the same guys who made My time at Portia though its nothing like it.

A voxel based open world mining/crafting/hunting type game.
It has a story mode or adventure mode (randomized maps with randomized quest givers) or just plain sandbox.
It has voxel based crafting of guns, swords, cars, boats and air vehicles. Some have called the editor 'Blender' like.
Which you can save the designs of (called ISOs) or from the main menu, download others creations.
If you can think of a sword or gun from a movie or game, you can make it, or chances are, someone already has.
Here is a place besides the main menu to download items, you just need to supply the materials. Or pre-craft some items.
http://planet-explorers-isos.com/

It had a decent rating on Steam before, but when they hosed up and just decided to put it up for free instead, it really pissed off angry nerds who had paid for it who then started leaving bad reviews. Which is kind of understandable.
Its a little slow, but if you enjoy open world crafting games, its pretty decent.

I'm going to repeat the slow part, mostly because the world is so drat huge.
Here is a ship the size of a small town a few miles away.

Also enemy size comparison to you.

Not all enemies are that big but quite a few are.
Vehicles are mandatory because it takes so drat long to get somewhere by running.

There are some bad things to this game, but frankly, i'm enjoying it.

Also dont eat so much fatty.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

playing unreal world for the first time. What am I missing with active hunting? I see more animals outside daily than I see over a week in this.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Mousewheel scrool zoom out the screen the whole way, you'll be able to see twice as far and see the animals the game is alerting you to.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OgNar posted:

Posted this in the free games thread but quoting myself here.
It was mentioned on page 1 but I recently found out its status to free had been changed (NOT free to play).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

Planet Explorers
Which is now free because they somehow lost the code to it???
I can't really find a good explanation but thats the basics of it.

It had a decent rating on Steam before, but when they hosed up and just decided to put it up for free instead, it really pissed off angry nerds who had paid for it who then started leaving bad reviews. Which is kind of understandable.
Its a little slow, but if you enjoy open world crafting games, its pretty decent.

I think it's because they shut down the multiplayer servers as a consequence, that's the thing which pissed off people. Also I believe it had an early crowdfunding round years back, which would make people more invested, so there's that too.

And there isn't really any other game that offers quite such an extent of customisation with meaningful gameplay effects - barrel length of your gun affecting damage, material composition affecting weight and stats, etc. The colony system is rather neat too (it's similar to what conan exiles does).

There's plenty that's wrong with the game but there's a lot of good there as well. I'd recommend giving it a spin for anyone who hasn't now that it's free.

E: It's closer to Minecraft than pure survival though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 29, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arven posted:

Mousewheel scrool zoom out the screen the whole way, you'll be able to see twice as far and see the animals the game is alerting you to.

I'm not being alerted though. Its bizarrely empty.

I'm using the free version off the website if that matters.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Welp, just bought UnReal World. So I guess I'll probably be popping in here a lot more often as I try to get to proper grips with the game. Hopefully having some level of actual investment into it will help me stick to trying and not just give up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Welp, just bought UnReal World. So I guess I'll probably be popping in here a lot more often as I try to get to proper grips with the game. Hopefully having some level of actual investment into it will help me stick to trying and not just give up.

Good luck! It really is great, once the game 'clicks' for you

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dandywalken posted:

Animals tend to be elusive, and it depends a lot on season and location; in the south and during summer you should get plenty of wildlife. Are you using the tracking skill on the overworld map? There's also certain rituals that can help in finding animals, but you either have to learn them from quests, or have them when you start... I think you get a couple random ones? Been a while since I started a new character.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yay! I love this game and want as many people to play it as possible :D if you find something especially frustrating I'm sure we could give some good tips to make it easier/better.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

I'm having the same issue. I have a Kiesse character at the edge of Kiesse territory, and I've seen a grand total of 2 elk and a bunch of ducks in about 2 in-game months of playing. Luckily I made my character to focus on farming and fishing, so starvation is not an issue, but the hunting aspect seems difficult in the region I'm in. The only kills I've gotten were 2 ducks walking into my empty lever traps. Part of the problem is that you need cordage to make bigger traps, make arrows, smoke meats, etc., and vanilla URW requires leather or cloth to make cordage. I grabbed a mod that allows drying berries and making cordage from bark to get around the hunting bottleneck, so now I can essentially skip hunting for now. I'm sure I'll regret it come winter and I have only basic leather clothes, but at least I'll have a cabin, firewood, and lots of food.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Something about winter coming has me wanting to play 7 Days to Die's mostly dry, hot, and ugly-looking world. This time I wanted to just scavenge, explore, shelter, and move on, instead of stay put and craft and build. Are there any mods centered around this playstyle? I'm not in this for the long haul, maybe I'll play a couple weeks or so.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Griffen posted:

Part of the problem is that you need cordage to make bigger traps, make arrows, smoke meats, etc., and vanilla URW requires leather or cloth to make cordage. I grabbed a mod that allows drying berries and making cordage from bark to get around the hunting bottleneck, so now I can essentially skip hunting for now.

are you running some old version? birch-bark rope and some other tree-based tying equipment is in vanilla now. you still need proper cords to make arrows but you can use the other stuff for pretty much everything else.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Griffen posted:

I'm having the same issue. I have a Kiesse character at the edge of Kiesse territory, and I've seen a grand total of 2 elk and a bunch of ducks in about 2 in-game months of playing. Luckily I made my character to focus on farming and fishing, so starvation is not an issue, but the hunting aspect seems difficult in the region I'm in. The only kills I've gotten were 2 ducks walking into my empty lever traps. Part of the problem is that you need cordage to make bigger traps, make arrows, smoke meats, etc., and vanilla URW requires leather or cloth to make cordage. I grabbed a mod that allows drying berries and making cordage from bark to get around the hunting bottleneck, so now I can essentially skip hunting for now. I'm sure I'll regret it come winter and I have only basic leather clothes, but at least I'll have a cabin, firewood, and lots of food.

2 elks in 8 weeks sounds too little, I agree, especially for the Kaumo/Kiesse area which should in theory be the one with the best hunting grounds. In my travels (between Kaumo, Reemi and Njerpez territories lately) I tend to encounter at least 1 big animal or reindeer pack every week or so (last one was a wolf pack and I barely escaped with my life :v: ), and a bunch of squirrels, birds and other small game. Haven't seen a bear or elk in months though...

I do agree that wildlife seems to be less abundant than it should reasonably be in general, but the game simulation is pretty complex and it might just be you guys wandering in the "wrong places", or just being horribly unlucky

Try setting up camp in an area rather than constantly moving around, possibly an area where you already spotted the kind of game you want to hunt, and stay a couple days wandering around the same spot, looking for tracks. If that doesn't work, move reasonably far away and try doing it again...

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Griz posted:

are you running some old version? birch-bark rope and some other tree-based tying equipment is in vanilla now. you still need proper cords to make arrows but you can use the other stuff for pretty much everything else.

Yeah, I'm the shameless guy who downloaded the free version rather than the up-to-date version. Glad to see bark cordage is in the vanilla game.

The lack of prey isn't a huge deal for my game currently, as a combination of a small garden, plenty of fish (starting with near 50% fishing skill helps) and berry/reed forage, I think I should be set for the first winter. The main disadvantage to my strategy of settling almost immediately is the lack of decent tools. Making a log wall takes 5-6 hours, and carving each log is about 1.25 hours, so each wall section takes almost 2 days, not counting taking time out to fish. Throw in making newbie mistakes in building, and it takes even longer. Is there any time constraint in gathering wild food (lake reeds and berries) such as wild animals eating it, or can I leave it to late summer as long as I gather them before it gets cold?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, have at least got something of a handle on moving around in UnReal World so far. Just doing the tutorial stuff still, but I got up to starting a fire. Had a clever moment, or at least a moment that made me feel clever, where I figured out how to drag a fallen tree and move it over to an open area to act as fuel for the fire. Felt pretty proud I thought that up and managed to do it. Next little play session will start with cooking and we'll see how far I get.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

doctorfrog posted:

Something about winter coming has me wanting to play 7 Days to Die's...Are there any mods centered around this playstyle?
Scavenger playstyle are doable in base game, and there shouldn’t be any mod ported to the recent stable ver yet.

You just need to find a random nice place to fort down for bloodmoon, which aren’t that hard since 99% of all buildings are custom dungeons now.

Edit : or bicycle the whole night.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 3, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Got past the Tracking course, even though it drat near killed me and still might, depending on how the next couple days go next time I play. Burned through all my fish, and spent like 3 days wandering the wilderness just trying to find a drat animal that was leaving tracks, it kept raining every time I tried to sleep so my chars schedule is all sorts of hosed now and he almost died of exhaustion trying to get home.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nyaa posted:

Scavenger playstyle are doable in base game, and there shouldn’t be any mod ported to the recent stable ver yet.

You just need to find a random nice place to fort down for bloodmoon, which aren’t that hard since 99% of all buildings are custom dungeons now.

Edit : or bicycle the whole night.

Thanks for the response. Heck, I'll give it a try at least.

edit: When you say "99% of buildings are custom dungeons," is that Navezgane only, or does the map generator insert them as well?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is on sale for 50% right now. Pick it up, its really awesome and totally worth $10. The game is in active development and they just released Alpha 11 with a bunch of new features:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/

Empyrion is ok if you play without the new CPU mechanic enabled. The devs claim it's to allow 'specialization' but the only thing it does is penalize you for going over arbitrary cpu count limits. Garbage tier game design IMO and I'm not sure the devs of that game know what they're doing anymore.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

doctorfrog posted:

edit: When you say "99% of buildings are custom dungeons," is that Navezgane only, or does the map generator insert them as well?
Map gen. Navezgen only have like 5 more.

The dev spent significant amount of time designing most building to be fortified so there is only one custom entrance that go into these dungeon that guide you throughout the building to reach a treasure chest at the end. You can bash your way in to cut down the travel, but that would wake up zombies.

Like some entrance start from a hole on the roof after jumping some platform and circles each floor down to the basement and vice versa.

Some special large building have nice surprises and boss fight in it. Check out the big corn farm building.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

Empyrion is ok if you play without the new CPU mechanic enabled. The devs claim it's to allow 'specialization' but the only thing it does is penalize you for going over arbitrary cpu count limits. Garbage tier game design IMO and I'm not sure the devs of that game know what they're doing anymore.

You know its alpha right? If you don't like the CPU mechanic you are supposed to go on their forums and tell them why so they can change it. The previous patch added weight management and it went through a similar process where it was tweaked until everyone was happy.

I personally think they are going in the right direction. Adding restrictions to a free-form ship building system can paradoxically make the process more interesting. I was annoyed when they added weight to the game, but after I got used to it I found it made the game a lot more challenging. Forcing me to deal with logistical problems rather than just stuff 999 bars of iron down my space pants added gameplay.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

Did no one tell the green hell developer that you shouldn't expect the player to go around shoving strange unidentified mushrooms into their mouth at the first opportunity?

Cool game but man you're gonna die over and over in the first 15 mins of the game unless you're glued to the wiki. I literally could not find water because the coconut shell out in the rain was not explained to me, nor was soup.

I love the graphics and inventory display but it's got a really weird specific narrow view of a scrounging survival game.
After my first sampling, I realized mushrooms (and other unknown plants) were things I should only consume when I'm otherwise well fed and well hydrated. Without medicine/a full stomach, wild plants can be dangerous. But it was worth documenting them over time. I do wish, however, that you could name the plants, even if only manually. Seeing "unknown mushroom" after having eaten hundreds over my months in the jungle can be frustrating.
As for water, I'm trying to think of an area of the map that doesn't have any water. You're almost always near a river, stream, or lake, since the rainforest is very wet. I didn't know about coconut shells either, and they were a gamechanger, but you can always just boil water.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nyaa posted:

Map gen. Navezgen only have like 5 more.

The dev spent significant amount of time designing most building to be fortified so there is only one custom entrance that go into these dungeon that guide you throughout the building to reach a treasure chest at the end. You can bash your way in to cut down the travel, but that would wake up zombies.

Like some entrance start from a hole on the roof after jumping some platform and circles each floor down to the basement and vice versa.

Some special large building have nice surprises and boss fight in it. Check out the big corn farm building.

That's... really neat. I haven't played 7 Days in a couple years so I'm pleasantly surprised.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

After my first sampling, I realized mushrooms (and other unknown plants) were things I should only consume when I'm otherwise well fed and well hydrated. Without medicine/a full stomach, wild plants can be dangerous. But it was worth documenting them over time. I do wish, however, that you could name the plants, even if only manually. Seeing "unknown mushroom" after having eaten hundreds over my months in the jungle can be frustrating.
As for water, I'm trying to think of an area of the map that doesn't have any water. You're almost always near a river, stream, or lake, since the rainforest is very wet. I didn't know about coconut shells either, and they were a gamechanger, but you can always just boil water.

In Green Hell the northeast portion of map 1 is pretty water-sparse. If you don't know your way around it's pretty easy to either run in circles or lose track of how to get back to "camp"

The airfield is also annoyingly short of water.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'd play the hell out of a TerraFirmaCraft clone. Something with a better UI, graphics, and enemy design.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'd play the hell out of a TerraFirmaCraft clone. Something with a better UI, graphics, and enemy design.
https://www.vintagestory.at/
My understanding is that Vintage Story is basically trying to make TFC as its own, more realized game. Not sure how well they succeeded so far, since I haven't played it yet, and it's still in relatively early development. But that's the goal, at least.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Vintage Story is pretty neat. I played maybe a year ago. Development seems to have slowed since then.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tried that Empyrion - Galactic Survival game. They weren't kidding about the "Alpha" even though it's been in development for years? It's one of the most alpha games I've ever played. The tutorials are outdated, the UI is aggressively obtuse, and it's got that problem of "dying while trying to get your bearings" that all survival games seem to have. "You've got a broken leg and your health is ticking down, the creature that caused it is still attacking you, and your PDA menus don't stop time so good luck figuring out how to perform emergency surgery before you bite it! Also you're on the edge of starving to death because you can't find a specific plant you need that provides food, the tutorial tells you to craft something you haven't unlocked yet and didn't explain how to unlock things, I literally had to google how to place my motorcycle from a a motorcycle kit because "intermediate materials" and "final" ones are nested in tiny unexplained icons in the corner of the screen, and once you finally get on it holy poo poo the motorcycle is baaaaaaad with a turning radius of approximately 2 miles, no brakes, and a lawnmower engine that struggles to get up a 5 degree incline.

Also, I fell through a hole in the world. I see some potential but this thing needs to stay in the oven for a good long while and wow do they need a "for new players" and "tutorial" development pass. Also removal of half the items and systems in the game, they are completely pointless. Why are there 4-5 different multi-tool-like items, all doing the same thing but for different block/item types? Why is there some complex tech tree where you have to pay to unlock every single block? Yuck. A lot of these systems seem to be designed to make the first few hours of the game tedious and then are never used again.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 11, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The slow engines thing is the one major personal gripe with Empyrion I have too. I can kindof understand it from a balance perspective, but holy hell is it aggravating. I want at a survival game where I can go at least as fast as in KSP, is that too much to ask? And it's not even like the 200m/s you can get with a fighter makes you easy to hit either, so it can't solely be a balance issue.

It's not just the engine thrust computation, there's a hard speed limit for each vehicle class which you just won't break no matter how many engines you put on.

The planet explorers I've posted about earlier suffers from the same issue, but at least the speed limits are somewhat reasonable (which is to say a few times higher).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

I tried that Empyrion - Galactic Survival game. They weren't kidding about the "Alpha" even though it's been in development for years? It's one of the most alpha games I've ever played. The tutorials are outdated, the UI is aggressively obtuse, and it's got that problem of "dying while trying to get your bearings" that all survival games seem to have. "You've got a broken leg and your health is ticking down, the creature that caused it is still attacking you, and your PDA menus don't stop time so good luck figuring out how to perform emergency surgery before you bite it! Also you're on the edge of starving to death because you can't find a specific plant you need that provides food, the tutorial tells you to craft something you haven't unlocked yet and didn't explain how to unlock things, I literally had to google how to place my motorcycle from a a motorcycle kit because "intermediate materials" and "final" ones are nested in tiny unexplained icons in the corner of the screen, and once you finally get on it holy poo poo the motorcycle is baaaaaaad with a turning radius of approximately 2 miles, no brakes, and a lawnmower engine that struggles to get up a 5 degree incline.

Also, I fell through a hole in the world. I see some potential but this thing needs to stay in the oven for a good long while and wow do they need a "for new players" and "tutorial" development pass. Also removal of half the items and systems in the game, they are completely pointless. Why are there 4-5 different multi-tool-like items, all doing the same thing but for different block/item types? Why is there some complex tech tree where you have to pay to unlock every single block? Yuck. A lot of these systems seem to be designed to make the first few hours of the game tedious and then are never used again.

To be fair the motorcycle is supposed to be bad. Its a game about building vehicles, that premade motorcycle is just supposed to get you to the first few mineral deposits. But you are right about the unlocking system. Its entirely pointless and needs to be replaced with something more interesting.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Yes. All of this.

If you power through or find some videos you like about the game it can be fun. Once I got past everything above, the game got interesting. It still throws a bunch of dumb poo poo your way. It never explains the things it needs to explain and building stuff can be annoying in survival. You can cut-copy-paste stuff in creative when you accidentally make something too short/small, can't do that in survival!

The tech system, as noted, is bad. You can almost bypass it by changing the difficulty options: Player Progression - FAST. You can change difficulty settings before loading a game. It does do some things well.

I'm playing it with that huge Project Eden scenario starting on the DEAD WORLD. Feels kinda subnautica/breathedge-ish.

e;
I do appreciate that you can build a mining vehicle to dig out an underground base fairly easily, something that in other similar games is a pile of garbage to do. I like building dumb things that don't work well. I'm enjoying it despite the pile of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

"You've got a broken leg and your health is ticking down, the creature that caused it is still attacking you, and your PDA menus don't stop time so good luck figuring out how to perform emergency surgery before you bite it! Also you're on the edge of starving to death because you can't find a specific plant you need that provides food, the tutorial tells you to craft something you haven't unlocked yet and didn't explain how to unlock things
How did you capture the perfect essence of an EA survival game so succinctly