Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bourgie Nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

GalacticAcid posted:

Bourgie Nights

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Bourgie Nights

and that exactly was the title I was thinking of when I made that post

:golfclap:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

a Paul Thomas Anderson movie about ten Maoists and their recollections of a union hall brawl
i was thinking wes anderson

rushmao

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the life dialectic with stevoj zizek

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Steve-O Zizek

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i was thinking wes anderson

rushmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I would definitely see a Safdie brothers movie centered around the poster(s)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

What's the name for the tendency where you want communism to win but are also utterly convinced we're all going to die horribly and there's nothing you can do about it

Red/Blackalliancepill

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

this and the people at rhizzone are the result of not actually organizing. the red guards are real people, ive met some of them, theyre real people not cops or wreckers just unhinged. they drift from org to org and hate them all, always at war with the person they were yesterday and its cause theyre always looking for the "right" theory and the right theory is always whichever one is most alienating to everyone around them and extols the most violence. theyre completely isolated socially. if you are a marxist and youre not a member of a party or org, join one and get organized. dont hop from group to group because theyre not good or pure enough, work to make your party or org what you want it to be. get organized and talk to people at your job, in your neighborhood, wherever. if you live in bumfuck nowhere then join a party or an org and talk to your neighbors and coworkers, nothing changes cause youre in a small town, just means you gotta do the work. if theres other people organizing around that you disagree with, find points of agreements where you can work together, dont poo poo talk them online or beat them up and break their poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

What's the name for the tendency where you want communism to win but are also utterly convinced we're all going to die horribly and there's nothing you can do about it

liberalism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Harsh but fair

THS
Sep 15, 2017

apropos to nothing posted:

this and the people at rhizzone are the result of not actually organizing. the red guards are real people, ive met some of them, theyre real people not cops or wreckers just unhinged. they drift from org to org and hate them all, always at war with the person they were yesterday and its cause theyre always looking for the "right" theory and the right theory is always whichever one is most alienating to everyone around them and extols the most violence. theyre completely isolated socially. if you are a marxist and youre not a member of a party or org, join one and get organized. dont hop from group to group because theyre not good or pure enough, work to make your party or org what you want it to be. get organized and talk to people at your job, in your neighborhood, wherever. if you live in bumfuck nowhere then join a party or an org and talk to your neighbors and coworkers, nothing changes cause youre in a small town, just means you gotta do the work. if theres other people organizing around that you disagree with, find points of agreements where you can work together, dont poo poo talk them online or beat them up and break their poo poo.

no communism is like the Voice from dune and if you find just the right words and vocal inflections you can convince anyone to your side. years of hard work and boring organizing are for chumps, i’m going to find Correct Theory everyone will be awed when i show up to a DSA meeting with an air horn and two bearded guys in torn fatigues carrying SKS rifles and start yelling about social fascists. every single one of them will fall down on their knees and like a jack chick comic convert to my very specific brand of maoism

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im totally going to be Jack Chick Tract Jesus for Halloween next year

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

i don't think it's the same person as the rhizzoner is a much better writer

the takeaway i got from this is that he felt powerless and hated the left and wanted to do violence to it and hurt people because he got his rocks off thinking about it, so he joined the red guards and did it, but was so disgusted with how gross and pathetic it actually was -- and inconsequential it is (so much for the power fantasy) -- that he wrote this big memoir, but he's too self-absorbed and arrogant to admit that he was wrong, but in fact it is the left that is wrong and he was right the whole time!

that's my take

The content of that post certainly backs up what the rhizzone author wrote here:

quote:

And the military aspect? Military, what. Militarily, we presided over a brawl that was far less graceful than the average bar fight. Many Maoists were taken aback by the sudden turn of the confrontation. They were somewhat frightened and very unsure of themselves or what to do. Some shouted in dismay and confusion, others jumped into the fight immediately, my liaison and I held firm and waited for orders. Besides myself, I can't say for certain how many were truly unsurprised when Carl took the first swing, or at least managed a controlled response to the melee's outbreak. I should also note that two other DSA members took potshots at the Maoists in the middle of it all, managing to snatch or rip three masks clean off in the process.

One might accuse the Maoists of loving violence. This would be inaccurate. To me, love implies a far more complex and mature relationship. The Maoists are simply infatuated with violence. They're receiving their first sloppy handjob from violence, and political violence at that. They don't, and can't, know where it leads, how awkward or embarrassing it looks, they don't care about context or consequences -- all they know and care about is how good it feels.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wanting to kill people in a violent insurrection is ftw. That author seems to be a 'cuck'.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

no communism is like the Voice from dune and if you find just the right words and vocal inflections you can convince anyone to your side
i think that's like the platypus society. they also want to destroy the left but through sheer, concentrated smugness, and instead of stealing your projector they hijack the projector and give an "impossibilist" lecture about the need to neutralize the threat of counter-pedagogic para-platypus dissidents and their postmodern, neo-kautskyian deviations

me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXl6q6Xapog

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
posting this thing about jodi dean here because the paul_soccer thread got gassed

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
creating communism and uploading it into the masses via computer virus with the ancient Sumerian brain code language

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

smarxist posted:

creating communism and uploading it into the masses via computer virus with the ancient Sumerian brain code language

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If youre gonna do political violence, at least be good at it. Learn to shoot. Blow poo poo up . Kidnap folks. Be about that life.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Stickfigure posted:

If youre gonna do political violence, at least be good at it. Learn to shoot. Blow poo poo up . Kidnap folks. Be about that life.

I want the Red Guard to prove a group can exist that's more incompetent than the Weather Underground

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus christ

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i think that's like the platypus society. they also want to destroy the left but through sheer, concentrated smugness

if I had a time machine, I'd travel back to my college years just to take a swing at them, only my arm and fist emerging from a swirling time vortex

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

:barf:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

i regret to inform the thread: it's real

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Finicums Wake posted:

i regret to inform the thread: it's real

loving social fascists

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Because I overrate my own thinking and logic, I believed that the processes of the many organizations which comprise the movement were far more complex and thoroughgoing than they actually were. Any good faith that I held with any organization and its members was invariably used against me or proved such a handicap to my initiative and confidence that I could no longer follow through on anything I believed was right, but this was also an acute political failure.

these former Red Guards always put a warning not to keep reading in the first few paragraphs, but i always ignore it

edit: they definitely meant to write underrate right?

Atrocious Joe fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 26, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Somehow Not Getfiscal has supplanted Somehow Not The Onion

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
GalacticAcid hammering out memes as a dark blur passes him by, spinning him like a top as he sees stars. It's reality, the DSA has passed him by.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1199704164957376513

:owned:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

fans are always wrong. kill your fans

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am very happy they don't feel the need to play at customer service. What a dreadful pressure that would be to deal with as an ostensibly independent journalist

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

THS posted:

fans are always wrong. kill your fans

*you're

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Amber's PMC article is a lot more readable

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy