Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda disappointing you don't see more decent Star Trek merchandise. Even a genuine Lego kit would be nice, or some fancy figures. It's not like they don't have exactly the audience to burn ridiculous amounts of money on this poo poo. Hell, do they even have Funko Pops?

Last time I was at the mall I was surprised to see the fancy toy store there had a bunch of Star Trek model kits in the window. Those had pretty much gone extinct for a decade or more in the early 2000s. There are some absolutely gigantic 1/350 scale kits of the Enterprise and of Klingon battlecruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's silly that I had to go out of my way to get a decent combadge. They're relatively simple little shapes that are literal badges and iconic, marketing should've made sure that decent cheap ones were everywhere. In every remotely nerdy store for any person into trek to idly pin onto their backpack and keep the branding visible.

But yeah, I was at goddamn PAX Aus last month, a full blown nerd expo with booths from all the expected sellers, and I glanced through the trinket shelves of some of the big ones... there was the Wars, there was the Who, there was the Pokemon, there was the Minecraft... and zip all for Trek.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

It's silly that I had to go out of my way to get a decent combadge. They're relatively simple little shapes that are literal badges and iconic, marketing should've made sure that decent cheap ones were everywhere. In every remotely nerdy store for any person into trek to idly pin onto their backpack and keep the branding visible.

Ever since I was a kid, I've thought the powers-that-be of the show/movie/whatever were idiots for not making merchandise that actually looked like the stuff in the show. Captain Kirk's leather jacket from ST3. A lightsaber hilt that actually looked something like the prop Luke carried. A TOS phaser that looked like the real thing, maybe even with a snap-in Type I phaser completing the top of the Type 2 pistol. It was drat near a miracle that I found a decent combadge pin during the original run of TNG: an actual metal pin instead of the crappy inch-thick matte-plastic one that had lights(?!) and a speaker grille so it could make beeping noises that sounded nothing like the actual communicator sound.

They've finally been dragged kicking and screaming into this sort of thing, but it's clear they still don't want to for some reason. (Remember when they released the winter coats that were duplicates of the ones Han, Leia and Luke wore on Hoth, but they were stupidly expensive and such a limited run that they sold out in minutes anyway?)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Nick Meyer had to fight Paramount to get them to make blankets with the Starfleet insignia on them, and even then he only managed to make it happen after he promised to sign ~certificates of authenticity~ for each of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ONLY. PLATES.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, that's just licensed games in general, and Trek doesn't really lend itself well to video games as much as even Star Wars does.

It would make for a awkward adventure game but a sim style trek game could be interesting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ruddiger posted:

It would make for a awkward adventure game but a sim style trek game could be interesting.

Dream game that could never happen: take the Star Trek deckplans and use them to procedurally generate skeleton rooms/corridors of the entire Enterpise-D, manually do the familiar sets and special bits, fill them out with props, and then do an Immersive Sim like System Shock or Prey set across the entirety of the ship, with a bonus mode where you can just wander around and explore the whole thing. Also in VR.

Star Shock.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 27, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oh my God, can I come play over at your house

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nick Meyer had to fight Paramount to get them to make blankets with the Starfleet insignia on them, and even then he only managed to make it happen after he promised to sign ~certificates of authenticity~ for each of them.

Does Paramount merchandise any of their other properties? I get the impression that their higher-ups literally don't understand how it works.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Dream game that could never happen: take the Star Trek deckplans and use them to procedurally generate skeleton rooms/corridors of the entire Enterpise-D, manually do the familiar sets and special bits, fill them out with props, and then do an Immersive Sim like System Shock or Prey set across the entirety of the ship, with a bonus mode where you can just wander around and explore the whole thing. Also in VR.

Star Shock.

Stage 9 will live on in our hearts. (and if anyone knows where to find the last VR version I'd love to know)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Senor Tron posted:

Stage 9 will live on in our hearts. (and if anyone knows where to find the last VR version I'd love to know)

Shame CBS killed Stage 9 a week after Giant Bomb (which belongs to CBS) showcased it on one of their livestreams. That thing was cool as poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

They've finally been dragged kicking and screaming into this sort of thing, but it's clear they still don't want to for some reason. (Remember when they released the winter coats that were duplicates of the ones Han, Leia and Luke wore on Hoth, but they were stupidly expensive and such a limited run that they sold out in minutes anyway?)
They would rather spend a dollar for something they can sell for fifteen, than two dollars on something they can sell for forty.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nog did trick an unaware woman into a handy, which was majorly lovely!

Is Oo-max sex? We know that it's extremely enjoyable, but I always likened it to a really good head scritch or foot rub.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

bennyfactor posted:

These are really neat! Did you make blueprints for the medkit first or was just kind of a seat-of-the-pants kind of thing from reference photos? And did you mae the tricorder from scratch, too?

Because the originals were all hand-made from vac-form shells they all vary a bit, I just worked from one reference, which was the original Season 5 TNG one. I’ve been obsessed with that specific prop since Mike Okuda did a demo of it on the Anniversary documentary tape (and the S5 science tric, which is the ultimate prop that I’m yet to tackle) Once I had the Tric in hand I drew up the shapes of the medkit in illustrator, worked out the supporting walls, the door hinge points etc, the plant-on details etc. Then I exported this all into Sketchup and built it in 3D, once that worked*, I did a test model in foamex, and then I had everything laser cut/3D printed.

Between the above and below there was a LOT of filling, sanding, making radius curves look neat, priming, sanding, filling again, christ it was dreadful

*Version 1 did not work, and this was an expensive mistake. Door clearances on the foamex one did not work out in real life.

The Tricorder was a kit from Stapleton Productions (find him on Facebook) and was the impetus to build all of the other stuff that went with it. I have since picked up a set of unused, production-made vac form shells for a S5 science tricorder which is next on the list, but I’m scared of loving them up.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hell yes, I love prop stuff. You’re the poster who also worked on Doctor Who, right? These look fantastic. Do you have any in-progress pics?

Ha, yes! I started drawing this up when I was on series 10. This foamex prototype was made from the cafe signs in the first episode of series 10...

piratepilates posted:

Wait do you just have an LCARS panel lying around to photograph with?

I’m a graphic designer by trade, mostly spaceships for film/tv so I am forever printing backlit panels, so I have had a few made up as a backdrop to shoot these props on. My girlfriend is… quite understanding.

However! I did get a screen-used LCARS the other day, so in the future I’ll use that. This was an episode-specific readout for the Science I station at the back of the bridge. It was comped over in post with a motion graphic, so you never see it, but it was one of those clever faux-motion graphics that uses a polarising film on the backlit gels, so if you shine spinning polarised light through it, it appears to move.

You can set the animation off with polarised sunglasses:

Really clever use of the tech, which is how a lot of the displays on TNG appeared to be motion graphics back when putting a CRT display into a set wasn’t possible or was cost-prohibitive. I think they look better than the lower-res/analogue motion graphics that were more common on Voyager, but I guess that’s the benefit of looking back on TNG as a period show now rather than always trying to be cutting edge at the time.

I tried to incorporate this into the new series of Red Dwarf we’re doing as I prefer it over flatscreens being everywhere, but the suppliers in LA do not do email, and RD has no money anyway, so that dream went in the bin.

Astroman posted:

a) awesome!

b) You really need to talk to James Cawley in Ticonderoga. Last I heard he wants to expand his Star Trek sets to include TNG and he hangs with the Okudas. He's been doing stuff with people making perfectly accurate TOS props for years, but he would probably dig anyone who can help with TNG ones.

I’m very much on the periphery of all that, but would love to help if it came up. I’m not massively into TOS from a design perspective, but the work they have done there is jaw-dropping, especially when it comes to ID'ing stuff that was off the 50c rack in 1965 and used as a prop of the week, tracking it down and recreating stuff. Those guys are like the CSI of props. Earlier in the year I was lucky enough to be asked to do some graphics work on the Roddenberry TNG Monitors - I was provided with a piece of the original graphics (a lot of LCARs panels re-use the same elements), and had to rebuild the rest of the graphic to match, including all the analogue reproduction artefacts. I got sent one of the monitors and it’s an absolute beast! I did work on the tan one, not the black one, but I couldn’t say no to a Picard one to keep. Being in the UK I’ll probably never work on a Trek, but this will definitely do.

MikeJF posted:

Man the tricorder design looks so backwards compared to the rest of TNG's interfaces.

Apparently they were concerned they'd be confused with PADDs if they gave them touchscreens.

Ha, I think if you actually examine them, then yes, I guess so, as the graphics largely suggest that one button does one function, maybe with secondary mode if you toggle the I/E buttons. But this design dates back to ’86/87 and I guess they thought they were pushing the limits of what was plausible even then. Personally, I think they’re my favourite bit of tv design, I very much enjoy how the LEDs etc serve a graphic function rather than being like distress flares on the later units (the DS9 ones are SO BRIGHT). Not sure who they were kidding with the tiny LCARS screen tho.

The S5 units are my favourite, something about seeing this plain little grey box light up with all these patterns and colours works so well (for the period). Late TNG was really the peak of the TNG aesthetic, I wasn’t crazy about the darker colours that came in towards the end of DS9.

I always enjoyed how those shows would show someone with a desk full of PADDs to suggest they had loads of work to do; guess it was hard to do imply the PADD could show any interface/file when they’re static bits of resin with paper print-outs for screens (or sometimes the actor’s scripts)

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Make evermore ludicrous attachments for the tricorder. Like those Nerf rifles which just keep piling on shotguns and pistols and poo poo. As is, that's a tricorder + medical + like, the Gold Zeo Crystal or something?

Ha! It was a one-off from Transfigurations where Crusher syncs Geordi’s brain waves or something with the gizmos that would become the cortical stimulator. Fun fact* is that that add-on piece was sculpted to fit the chunky S1/2 Tricorders and not the sleeker vac form ones that were in play by that point, which is why it doesn’t really sit right on the unit. When I designed mine I did the best to make it fit the newer ones, but it’s still not perfect.

*not at all fun

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Beachcomber posted:

Is Oo-max sex? We know that it's extremely enjoyable, but I always likened it to a really good head scritch or foot rub.

It's a Ferengi handjob.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

echoplex posted:

I always enjoyed how those shows would show someone with a desk full of PADDs to suggest they had loads of work to do; guess it was hard to do imply the PADD could show any interface/file when they’re static bits of resin with paper print-outs for screens (or sometimes the actor’s scripts)

I've heard this before, but honestly, if I had a replicator I'd probably surround myself with 20 PADDs to separate all my tasks. Treat them like different windows on a monitor. Physical objects are the ultimate haptic UI.

echoplex posted:

Ha, I think if you actually examine them, then yes, I guess so, as the graphics largely suggest that one button does one function, maybe with secondary mode if you toggle the I/E buttons. But this design dates back to ’86/87 and I guess they thought they were pushing the limits of what was plausible even then. Personally, I think they’re my favourite bit of tv design, I very much enjoy how the LEDs etc serve a graphic function rather than being like distress flares on the later units (the DS9 ones are SO BRIGHT). Not sure who they were kidding with the tiny LCARS screen tho.

Oh big lights and physical protruding buttons still have their place, but yeah, the screen is way too small. I reckon a much better design would've been if screens took like 80% of the top and bottom each and then there was just a row of physical buttons and flashies to the side or above to keep the flavour.

Although if I were designing a new series today, I'd lean into and have a Tricorder actually be a PADD with a scanner just plugged into the top.

EDIT: ooh, the inevitable google spree lead to a bit of TNG concept art from Sternbach that they didn't go with:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Although if I were designing a new series today, I'd lean into and have a Tricorder actually be a PADD with a scanner just plugged into the top.

That's kinda what the Nemesis tricorders were, I think:

Though it's less PADD and more "we built a soft plastic case around a Gen 1 iPhone"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

That's kinda what the Nemesis tricorders were, I think:

Though it's less PADD and more "we built a soft plastic case around a Gen 1 iPhone"

Oh well before the iPhone. Some palm pilot or something. You can see how low-res and crappy and washed out the screen is when you watch the movie, it looks super bad. Fortunately, 'watching the movie' isn't something that happens more than once with Nemesis.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MikeJF posted:

Oh well before the iPhone. Some palm pilot or something. You can see how low-res and crappy and washed out the screen is when you watch the movie, it looks super bad. Fortunately, 'watching the movie' isn't something that happens more than once with Nemesis.

It's getting better now, but the last decade of Building Props Badly Around Mobile Devices will not age well, as indicated there. I remember either the first or second series of Sherlock iused iPhones as door locks with a very visible cut out for the daylight sensor/home button.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Drone posted:

It's a Ferengi handjob.

On the other... hand, it's not like their ears are their primary sex organs. Thanks to Gene Roddenberry we know this for a fact.

I feel compelled to point out that there is a track on the DS9 soundtrack called "The Ultimate Handjob". (It's when Odo and the founder link in "The Search part 2")

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sir Lemming posted:

On the other... hand, it's not like their ears are their primary sex organs. Thanks to Gene Roddenberry we know this for a fact.

Well when you put it that way, and at a risk of getting too Roddenberry-ish with thinking about aliens and the logistics of having sex with them, oo-mox is probably like how nipple stimulation is for some dudes, but dialled up to 11.

christ i feel loving dirty now, gonna go hit the sonic shower

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Drone posted:

It's a Ferengi handjob.

Also known as a Vulcan good afternoon

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Having somebody else use one of these on your head is IMO the closest thing to oo-mox a hew-mon can experience

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
either way it seems crass to do in public, like a foot massage may not be sexual in any way but you still don't give somebody one in a bar

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

echoplex posted:

the coolest poo poo ever

Can I be your new girlfriend?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trek lends itself to a lot of game genres it's just bad decisions. Remember when the batman or star wars franchises went through similar slumps in the late 90s? There still hasn't been a decent Marvel game ffs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Batman game for Genesis was rad and actually advanced the medium though, apparently. One of the bosses in Cuphead references it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Trek lends itself to a lot of game genres it's just bad decisions. Remember when the batman or star wars franchises went through similar slumps in the late 90s? There still hasn't been a decent Marvel game ffs.

The recent Spider-Man on PS4 is great.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

marktheando posted:

The recent Spider-Man on PS4 is great.

It is. If you go back a generation, Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a ton of fun also.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So the first issue of the Picard show prequel comic came out today, and, okay, huh:

So the Hobus Supernova is far more of a climate change-y analogy than it was in the JJ films; something everyone seems to know about long in advance but the Romulans are dragging their feet in getting assistance. Picard's an Admiral no longer in command of the Enterprise but on one of the ugly ships from STO, leading a task force fast-built by Geordi at Utopia Planetia to evacuate colonies in the "blast zone". Anyway they go to one of these colonies but whoops turns out the Romulans there are using a less-evolved race of sentients for manual labor, and they don't want them evacuated (nor does Picard have the space for them). Jean Luc ain't happy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Bloop posted:

either way it seems crass to do in public, like a foot massage may not be sexual in any way but you still don't give somebody one in a bar

Damnit, with Tarantino Trek on hold or cancelled or whatever, we can't make a joke about two Ferengi discussing whether or not Oomox is personal. "Oomox don't mean poo poo. I give my moogie Oomox."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cross-Section posted:

So the first issue of the Picard show prequel comic came out today, and, okay, huh:

So the Hobus Supernova is far more of a climate change-y analogy than it was in the JJ films; something everyone seems to know about long in advance but the Romulans are dragging their feet in getting assistance. Picard's an Admiral no longer in command of the Enterprise but on one of the ugly ships from STO, leading a task force fast-built by Geordi at Utopia Planetia to evacuate colonies in the "blast zone". Anyway they go to one of these colonies but whoops turns out the Romulans there are using a less-evolved race of sentients for manual labor, and they don't want them evacuated (nor does Picard have the space for them). Jean Luc ain't happy.

I can get on board with this.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm certain the prequel comic book for the Picard show will have as much bearing on the story as that prequel comic for the JJ Abrams movies did

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pick posted:

Oh god I'm just imagining the whining you'd get at the inferface between star trek and bioware

In a game made by the current Bioware, every NPC would do the Cardassian neck trick.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So after watching Voyager S1, I skipped ahead to the S3 finale (Scorpion). I browsed the episode descriptions but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any major character/plot developments in S2/3. Any particular episodes I should keep an eye out for? I'm probably gonna go back and watch the Ferengi one, and I watched the Vorik Pon-Farr episode, which was idiotic.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So after watching Voyager S1, I skipped ahead to the S3 finale (Scorpion). I browsed the episode descriptions but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any major character/plot developments in S2/3. Any particular episodes I should keep an eye out for? I'm probably gonna go back and watch the Ferengi one, and I watched the Vorik Pon-Farr episode, which was idiotic.

I think the episode right after scorpion part 2 deals with seven of nine becoming accustomed to not being part of the collective. I watched it the other day, but also don't remember much more of what happened.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As far as I recall there are only about five plot relevant episodes in seven seasons of Voyager.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There are certainly some good early Voyager episodes but they're quite few and far between. I'd make an exception and stop for "The Thaw" and "Future's End" Parts 1 and 2 (the latter not only because it's pretty decent, but it also establishes the doctor's mobile emitter, which is one of the only consistent through-lines for the entire series).

Fakeedit: oh drat Future's End is season 3. Oh well, The Thaw is still drat Good Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Cross-Section posted:

Is the artwork inside any better than that horrendous Photoshop nightmare they decided to put out as a cover?