Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pipski posted:

Ah right, ta. So even if you had all three correct ones in from the get go, you'd still need to encounter him three times? Bit counter intuitive, but okay.

That's why doing grinding Thrall missions is important, so that you can uncover the various glyphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pipski posted:

Ah right, ta. So even if you had all three correct ones in from the get go, you'd still need to encounter him three times? Bit counter intuitive, but okay.

See how there are three tan bars at the top of the screen? For each of those, you beat the lich up until he's out of health and takes a knee, then you stab him. Then he gets up and you hit him again to work on the next bar. It doesn't require a separate mission. (Unless you get the wrong glyph, of course.)

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Sandweed posted:

You can do all 3 stabs in the same encounter.

So you can stab him successfully to confirm 1, then just stab him again and it will confirm / deny 2? That's what I was expecting. Just not sure how I didn't stab him a second time in that case.

You know what? I'm going to stop worrying about it. If I stab him enough times, he'll die!

e; ^^ right, got it. ta! ^^

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pipski posted:

So you can stab him successfully to confirm 1, then just stab him again and it will confirm / deny 2? That's what I was expecting. Just not sure how I didn't stab him a second time in that case.

You know what? I'm going to stop worrying about it. If I stab him enough times, he'll die!

If you stab him and its the wrong glyph, he auto-murders you and disappears from the mission.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

BMan posted:

there's no way this is faster than just spamming the appropriate capture mission for daily synthesis

edit: You also get bonus standing for completing the daily synthesis that doesn't count toward the daily limit, and endo.

I didn't say anything about fast.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've got an extreme failson of a lich atm. Nearly got enough murmurs to unlock the second power word, he holds a measly two planet nodes, is still rank 1, hasn't showed his cowardly face in a long time. The Queens should be ashamed of their shoddy work.

The real elevator rage happens when some lone speed-o races off in a rescue mission instead of waiting for at least one person so the door can actually get popped

Edit: Fuckin lol, just discovered that the cyst tentacle flops in the breeze

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 27, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the point of leveling up your lich on purpose?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'd like the opportunity to start working out word positions...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/WFforums_txt/status/1199753539582607360

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's up with this new dock thing? Should I care about this as a relatively new-ish player?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

What's up with this new dock thing? Should I care about this as a relatively new-ish player?

Ignore it, it's endgame content, requires a bunch of money, and you have like a bajillion grineer to tenderize in new and interesting ways before you get there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I came back from a break and asked goons if it was required for new story content and they said "yes" when in fact they were lying and the answer is no.

You have to build like 6 different things that require a vast and huge amount of resources (that you won't at all have as a new player) and then nothing happens because you're building a battleship for a later expansion.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I came back from a break and asked goons if it was required for new story content and they said "yes" when in fact they were lying and the answer is no.

You have to build like 6 different things that require a vast and huge amount of resources (that you won't at all have as a new player) and then nothing happens because you're building a battleship for a later expansion.

More than that each of the 6 builds takes a million credits and a new resource introduced with this patch.

Unless you really have nothing to do (and want to blow 15 argon, yes FIFTEEN on step 5) you can skip it for now and build up more materials.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

v1ld posted:

As Funky mentioned, block + forward + attack is a gap closer for most weapons though I find it a bit hard to control yet. Another very quick closer is forward bullet jump + heavy attack slam which is instant.

It really really depends on what stance you're using for that forward momentum attack. Some feel like they lock you in an animation for a tiny bit too long, others feel like the don't quite propel you far enough forward in a single swing or two. But there are several that let you simply right click for one or two quick attacks that quickly propel you forward a moderate amount for the next one to three attacks. So I'm still experimenting but there but already there are several stances that will make you really quickly bounce forward with the slightest right click and those feel really good.

Inzombiac posted:

Leveling them up makes them take more territory, giving you more star chart nodes to choose from.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Don't worry about hurrying to a railjack. You can't use it for anything fun yet and when you eventually can there's going to be tons of people to taxi everyone without one.

DelphiAegis posted:

Unless you really have nothing to do (and want to blow 15 argon, yes FIFTEEN on step 5) you can skip it for now and build up more materials.
15 argon is like half an hour of solo clap limbo captures in the void (though i had help from my smeeta).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

No, absolutely not. That poo poo is prohibitively expensive and you should only do it if you have more money and resources than sense. And having finished building my Railjack, you can't really do anything with it besides walk around.
It's a cool quest but only if you did everything else in the game and want to burn your wealth on literally anything else.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FunkyFjord posted:

It really really depends on what stance you're using for that forward momentum attack. Some feel like they lock you in an animation for a tiny bit too long, others feel like the don't quite propel you far enough forward in a single swing or two. But there are several that let you simply right click for one or two quick attacks that quickly propel you forward a moderate amount for the next one to three attacks. So I'm still experimenting but there but already there are several stances that will make you really quickly bounce forward with the slightest right click and those feel really good.

What I'm saying is that I don't care about gap closing combos or whatever, if I can't hold W and mash E to swing my arms around while running in a straight line to the left, the melee is unusable in my book. It's bad enough you can't jump-cancel out of an attack while swinging. This game does mobility incredibly well so it just feels awful when your feet are locked into a dance pattern for the duration of an attack animation. Especially since it's completely arbitrary which weapons do and don't lock your feet. Sometimes the only way to get foot mobility is to unequip all stances on a weapon but that doesn't work for most weapons either.

The only way for melee to kill as efficiently as guns is to Bart Simpson Windmill your weapon around while rollerskating across the map with as much range as you can cram on it. Anything else just feels clunky as gravel.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 27, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Protip: If you're in a combo that locks you in place, you can still slide to move. It's extremely dumb

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's also dodge-cancelling, just not jump-cancelling

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
So I’m getting to the tier of syndicates where you actually get a payoff for all the investment and grinding void relics for the specific rare prime part to rank up. I’m looking at the forma/potato costs to these ranks and wondering if these things show up in anything other than timed events like Nightwave or the once in a blue moon invasion?

The prospect of higher tier content gated behind potatoes is depressing

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Invasions, gifts of the lotus, and Nightwave are your main sources for potatoes, yes.

it's a big deal for a syndicate to want one early on but it'll pay off in the long run. The weapons are sometimes quite good and always MR, syndicate-for-syndicate trades are pretty straightforward, and it's a constant passive source of relics, weapon exilus, or both

and of course fashion

don't go steel meridian/red veil, this is a bad choice

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Blind Duke posted:

So I’m getting to the tier of syndicates where you actually get a payoff for all the investment and grinding void relics for the specific rare prime part to rank up. I’m looking at the forma/potato costs to these ranks and wondering if these things show up in anything other than timed events like Nightwave or the once in a blue moon invasion?

Start selling stuff on warframe.market and make mad plat, then buy the potato and the specific prime parts (these are cheaper than the potato). I'm up to 712 plat in sales already.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel like the game really has to give more sources of potatoes. It's not like it's hard to really get potatoes, crack open high value relics in radshares, run nightmare missions or bounties for valuable mods, sell to people for platinum (that they paid for). But when platinum is the only real source of potatoes, it takes you out of immersion.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

BMan posted:

Protip: If you're in a combo that locks you in place, you can still slide to move. It's extremely dumb
You can use slide for momentum during basically anything. Helps a lot with Warframe abilities that lock you, or for correcting your movement before you land, etc.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Inzombiac posted:

spread his influence so you can grind murmurs in more missions that don't suck

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So I just started this game on Switch, can anyone tell me what's up with the very second story mission? I'm sent to to the open world area and despite everything being level 4 or 5, they will take me from full shields and health to dead in one or two bullets, there's tons of them, and I can't imagine how I could ever possibly hit those flying drones without mouse aiming, and even then it'd be a pain in the rear end. Am I supposed to do this mission waaaaaay later?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

I feel like the game really has to give more sources of potatoes. It's not like it's hard to really get potatoes, crack open high value relics in radshares, run nightmare missions or bounties for valuable mods, sell to people for platinum (that they paid for). But when platinum is the only real source of potatoes, it takes you out of immersion.

Platinum is not the only real source of potatoes, you have nightwave and invasions too. Try to join one of those alert discords or whatever so you get notified.

There's also a potato alert after pretty much every devstream. It's been a while since I last bought one with plat and I'm steadily building my stock.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Psion posted:

don't go steel meridian/red veil, this is a bad choice

I did exactly this. It's not a good idea; pick one set of 3 or the other.

However I'm at the point where syndicate invasions are really just an annoyance more than anything else but early on it's really annoying to be levelling gear and just get stomped by 20 ancients out of nowhere.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Potato invasions are far too uncommon. And Nightwave potatoes are one of the least efficient uses of NW cred, you could buy 3 aura mods instead and sell them each for platinum value of a potato.

I'm a newer player, so I'm not at the stockpiling stage of my warframe career.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cartoon Violence posted:

So I just started this game on Switch, can anyone tell me what's up with the very second story mission? I'm sent to to the open world area and despite everything being level 4 or 5, they will take me from full shields and health to dead in one or two bullets, there's tons of them, and I can't imagine how I could ever possibly hit those flying drones without mouse aiming, and even then it'd be a pain in the rear end. Am I supposed to do this mission waaaaaay later?

both open worlds are traps for newbies, yes

do starchart quests to Second Dream, maybe even Sacrifice

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zero VGS posted:

The only way for melee to kill as efficiently as guns is to Bart Simpson Windmill your weapon around while rollerskating across the map with as much range as you can cram on it. Anything else just feels clunky as gravel.

That's the part everyone always ignored about spin2win. You could see DE's vision from the way they did an early demo - a lone enemy on the plains with no mission getting juggled by character action game combos. In actual Warframe that enemy already died to a hail of gunfire and your team has screamed past you before you've even gotten to the second hit with your honorable hanzo steel. Macroing slide attacks was dumb but having no reason to use melee is worse.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It is a soft-anti newbie thing that most of the "get hype!" stuff that you get exposed to is really only meaningful 50, 100, 200 hours in. There's a lot of great stuff from pretty early, it's just not the stuff that gets horns and sirens on log in.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mailer posted:

That's the part everyone always ignored about spin2win. You could see DE's vision from the way they did an early demo - a lone enemy on the plains with no mission getting juggled by character action game combos. In actual Warframe that enemy already died to a hail of gunfire and your team has screamed past you before you've even gotten to the second hit with your honorable hanzo steel. Macroing slide attacks was dumb but having no reason to use melee is worse.

But there is a reason to use melee, that it's the best source of damage right now

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The rule of cool is always the optimal gameplay method.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Alright in that case I'll stick to regular missions until I'm much, much stronger. I also need to practice on how to hit small fast targets with gyro, right now drone enemies run circles around me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Blind Duke posted:

later on you will have more potatoes than you know what to do with and 20p to buy another is nothing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mailer posted:

are you still using the heatsword

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've always had my Ash modded for maximum sprint speed, since he's my go-to frame for spy/rescue missions, but with the advent of the heavy attack meta I just realized that Dispatch Overdrive exists - kill a dude with a heavy attack and run 60% faster. I can sprint so fast that I get the wind-rush sound effects that usually only accompanies free-fall, and Gauss is borderline uncontrollable.

.... Now I want to try it as Gauss, with Volt and Wisp buffing Sprint speed even higher.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bholder posted:

But there is a reason to use melee, that it's the best source of damage right now

I may be wrong, as I've barely played since the old blood patch, but it's going to be very hard to beat a gun while moving at full speed. There's always been combos that do tons of damage as long as you're willing to stop moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they literally did nothing but make melee absolutely more powerful, which inherently obsoleted the 'need' to spin around repeatedly like a dipshit