Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

He isnt getting any disability payments with that patreon income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SA is his job.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shifty Nipples posted:

SA is his job.

do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life

lowtax works every goddamn day

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

poo poo. I don't want this for the Taxman.

I really don't.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just for the record, since I didn't see it posted yet, he posted this on Facebook earlier today:

Lowtax posted:

If you're on the SA Forums, I apologize for not posting my freak rear end marital garbage in a thread on there (or being able to reply to anything), but I'm out of town and have my account locked down to a static IP address for security sake (in case I lose my phone), so it's not that I'm avoiding mentioning it there, but I'm currently unable to.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
i don't know which is more hosed up, that we live in a country where it's very plausible a dude is taking home 6 figures and due to stuff like medical bills and childcare could be in the red- or that some folks' first response to hearing about a dissolving marriage and child at risk is to point out people are pledging to give him 10k in the next 30 days, so his life can't possibly be that bad!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

i don't know which is more hosed up, that we live in a country where it's very plausible a dude is taking home 6 figures and due to stuff like medical bills and childcare could be in the red- or that some folks' first response to hearing about a dissolving marriage and child at risk is to point out people are pledging to give him 10k in the next 30 days, so his life can't possibly be that bad!

:911:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

He isnt getting any disability payments with that patreon income

His spine broke this year which is when his Patreon payments jumped up. It's possible he's getting disability checks, but will have to pay some or all of them back when he files his taxes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Coolness Averted posted:

You're forgetting the website that costs him thousands of dollars a month to keep running.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You're forgetting the website that costs him thousands of dollars a month to keep running.

[That dril tweet about budgeting and candles]

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

The bandwidth bill alone is around $7,000. This dead gay forum isn't cheap.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
He's always been coy about how much this place generates, but when you do the maths yourself based on how well it supports him, your emotions range from 'Wow, these dead gay forums make him loads of money' to 'actually, compared to other internet sites/personalities, that's pathetically small' to 'even for a small business that's been going for 20 years, that's not a lot'

It seems to cover a modest lifestyle of owning a house and supporting a family, but no fancy cars and he runs this place out of a spare bedroom. He's had to whore himself out to NordVPN to survive (that must have hurt) and his medical bills were in danger of both shutting this place down and bankrupting him personally until the patreon bump

TL;DR: the survival of these forums is the Greatest Saga Of Them All

TL;DR2:spend some money on avatars or patreon.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shut up Meg posted:

TL;DR2:spend some money on avatars or patreon.

You can donate directly through the forums so patreon don't get a cut. There is a big ol donate button up the top.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghostlight posted:

Even if it was free I can still very easily see bills he has to pay making that very quickly evaporate. Plus you gotta set aside a pretty big chunk of that for taxes and patreon skims what 12% or so?
Like I said I just think it's hosed up that someone's gross income could put them into the top 8% of income earners and stuff like medical bills could easily leave them on the verge of destitution. Like anyone who wasn't getting dead gay forums money would be utterly ruined (more so) by the stuff poor lowtax is going through.

Shut up Meg posted:

He's always been coy about how much this place generates, but when you do the maths yourself based on how well it supports him, your emotions range from 'Wow, these dead gay forums make him loads of money' to 'actually, compared to other internet sites/personalities, that's pathetically small' to 'even for a small business that's been going for 20 years, that's not a lot'

It seems to cover a modest lifestyle of owning a house and supporting a family, but no fancy cars and he runs this place out of a spare bedroom. He's had to whore himself out to NordVPN to survive (that must have hurt) and his medical bills were in danger of both shutting this place down and bankrupting him personally until the patreon bump

Yeah I think this is the best take, especially since folks are looking at the patreon after both the spine bump plus beginning to toss in more after this mess started like he's been raking in 6 figures of donations for years and living high on the hog. That's also been a weird SA tradition though, I remember people bitched about him having a ratheon chair back in the day -and it also turned out he'd stolen it from planetquake during the dot com bubble burst after they stiffed him on months of pay.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

Even if it was free I can still very easily see bills he has to pay making that very quickly evaporate. Plus you gotta set aside a pretty big chunk of that for taxes and patreon skims what 12% or so?
Like I said I just think it's hosed up that someone's gross income could put them into the top 8% of income earners and stuff like medical bills could easily leave them on the verge of destitution. Like anyone who wasn't getting dead gay forums money would be utterly ruined (more so) by the stuff poor lowtax is going through.

The Patreon isn't pure income. Earnings is what you make after expenses. Like was said these forums aren't free to run and the ancient radium code is notorious for being an inefficient pile of poo poo. The Taxman is not in the top 8% of earners just because of the expenses of keeping this running. But yeah, it's incredible that he keeps on trucking despite all the bullshit he's had to deal with along the way.

That reminds me I have to spend some more dead, gay money on these dead, gay forums. The spine demands cash.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think he's said that the easiest way to give him cash directly is through the forums due to the way it's set up.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just use western union like for my maldovan girlfriends has me do

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Interesting effect the forums have had on the real world (from 2017):

cda posted:

[A BYOB thread was cited in a response to the rejection of a trademark appli]cation by an organization calling itself the First Independent Church of Scientology, which was denied a trademark because it was deemed an infringement of the Church of Scientology's existing trademark. Among the arguments made in the response is that "scientology" is now a generic term. A BYOB thread was cited in support of this claim (the thread starts on page 89 if you don't want to read the rest)

http://religiouslibertyleague.org/R...20re%20Logo.pdf

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If I win the lottery I’m definitely donating to these dead gay forums.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Poor Lowtax :smith:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The situation with Lowtax is awful and I hope it gets resolved speedily.

Changing subjects, i finally noticed that the stupid newbie avatar finally changed from Trump to guy getting punched. I remember when they got changed to Trump, some dude wrote an angry email to Lowtax that he was quitting the site over the new avatars. That was funny.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

DemoneeHo posted:

Changing subjects, i finally noticed that the stupid newbie avatar finally changed from Trump to guy getting punched. I remember when they got changed to Trump, some dude wrote an angry email to Lowtax that he was quitting the site over the new avatars. That was funny.

I was just going to comment on that. I thought it was a custom one that someone had made for themselves and I thought that this guy:

Fsmhunk posted:

Poor Lowtax :smith:
was an rear end in a top hat because of rear end in a top hat posts in another thread that had the same avatar.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Biplane posted:

If I win the lottery I’m definitely donating to these dead gay forums.

Just pay for a consultant to migrate them to the mythical 2.0 and make them not poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interesting effect the forums have had on the real world (from 2017):

pdf link in your quote is broken, so here it is for posterity:
https://religiouslibertyleague.org/Response%20TM%20Denial%20re%20Logo.pdf

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
All the recent forums drama reminded me of the time a goon stabbed someone then posted a thread about it

quote:

Lastnight I was downtown with my buddies. We drank, shot pool and had an all around good time. A little before 2 I decided to head home. I had parked about 4 blocks away from the main street with all the bars on it, so I had a short walk to my car.

So I'm walking along minding my own business when I notice there are a couple guys about half a block back from me. I don't really think much of it, but I grew up in a pretty shady town so I instinctually palm my knife. I get about a block away from my car when I hear what I thought was both of them walking up pretty close to me. I start to get a little uncomfortable so I flick open my knife quietly. I have been jumped before and there's no way in hell it's happening again.

I glance over my shoulder and see that it's actually just one of them. The other guy had hung back, still about half a block away. Just as I glance back the guy reaches a hand out to grab my shoulder and says something along the lines of "Yo mother fucker". As soon as he grabbed my shoulder I spun around and planted my knife in his stomach. He let out this weird gasp. It sounded sort of like he got the wind knocked out of him, just a little different. When I pulled the knife out, which was a whole lot harder than I expected, he dropped what sounded like a pipe or something. I didn't really get a good look at it. It dawns on me that he was just about to club me over the head and I get pissed. I stabbed him a couple more times, hard and fast.

About this time his friend starts screaming and running towards us. I start to run towards my car and luckily the guy stops to check on his friend. I pulled off my now bloody shirt, wrapped the knife up in it and tossed it in a grocery bag i had in the back seat before I pulled off. I glanced back once before driving away and it looked like the guy was just laid out on the sidewalk with his friend sitting next to him.

Before going home I drove over the bride coming into town and toss the shirt and knife into the water. The whole experience freaked me out a little but all in all I don't feel guilty about it.

Which was later edited to

quote:

Mods please delete this thread.

There was never any followup that I was aware of, and I never saw the goon (Graves) again. I met the dude at the third gooncamp, he was pretty cool, no idea he'd go all Roberto on someone

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Nov 27, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

All the recent forums drama reminded me of the time a goon stabbed someone then posted a thread about it

Which was later edited to

There was never any followup that I was aware of, and I never saw the goon (Graves) again. I met the dude at the third gooncamp, he was pretty cool, no idea he'd go all Roberto on someone

I stabbed someone today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pipe
The only thing that's real
The switchblade tears a hole
The old familiar swing
Try to kill it all away
But I am posting everything

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ariong posted:

I stabbed someone today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pipe
The only thing that's real
The switchblade tears a hole
The old familiar swing
Try to kill it all away
But I am posting everything

:perfect:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
And you have it all
My empire of shiv
I can make you hurt
But also, briefly....live?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

no fancy cars

He did apparently buy a GT-R in 2010 though I’m sure he’s long since sold it off.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
What have you become
My stabbing thread
All the opening posts
Go away
In the ed.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And you have it all
My empire of shiv
I can make you hurt
But also, briefly....live?

I wear this crown of knives
Upon my stabber's chair
Full of posted thoughts
I can not repair
Beneath the stains of time
The first post disappears
Quoted somewhere else
Might as well be here

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Somfin posted:

What have you become
My stabbing thread
All the opening posts
Go away
In the ed.

I wear this crown of knives
Upon my stabber's chair
Full of posted thoughts
I can not repair
Beneath the stains of time
The first post disappears
Quoted somewhere else
Might as well be here

To what have I replied
My thiqqest goon
Every bookmarked thread
Gets the gas in the end

And you could troll it all
This hodgepodge of code
I will let you down
CALL THE POLICE ON GRANOS

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Does anyone have that story about the journalist worked with a Ukrainian ambulance crew and got ripped on phenazepam? It's one of my favorites and I can't turn it up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seizon posted:

Does anyone have that story about the journalist worked with a Ukrainian ambulance crew and got ripped on phenazepam? It's one of my favorites and I can't turn it up

https://pastebin.com/cPqwkycB

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Can someone explain the thing about sending Joe Biden a pizza? Was that supposed to be some kind of sick burn or something?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Holy gently caress the GBS Lowtax thread got real bad. :stonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can someone explain the thing about sending Joe Biden a pizza? Was that supposed to be some kind of sick burn or something?
The media was camping out three people that were rumored to be Obama's choice for VP running mate.

Goons found the address and thought it would look funny for Domino's to pull up while the world waited to see if this dude was going to be in a historic run.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

The media was camping out three people that were rumored to be Obama's choice for VP running mate.

Goons found the address and thought it would look funny for Domino's to pull up while the world waited to see if this dude was going to be in a historic run.

Okay that's kinda funny. Thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

What a shocker

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ExplodingSims posted:

I absolutely do not understand what it is about Lowtax that makes weird internet people get so insanely angry over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ExplodingSims posted:

What's going on in there? I haven't dared to wade in. I see somebody got banned for doxxing, though.