Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Well poo poo, guess it's back to changing the system clock and hoping for a sandstorm

I caught a Ninjask early on in the Wild Area and bred it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The argument is that even if the damage is mostly mitigated the attacker still gets lots of buffs which make the battle very lopsided. Also the issue is needing to have a stall for tons of different types since your not hemmed in by needing an item to activate dynamax. A couple different mons setup to dynamax gives a player a lot advantages over stall.

nintendo really should have made dynamax need a wishing piece or something as a held item. I think that would go a long way to helping mitigate the issue.

toxapex w/ haze ftw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao my Woombat just challenged my Snom to a race

you can imagine who won

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

And then, of course, on the other side of the coin, you have sand teams running train on doubles.

Relatedly does anyone know if Showdown's damage calculator is working right for Body Press? Adding stages and EVs to defense doesn't seem to change the damage math at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

lmao my Woombat just challenged my Snom to a race

you can imagine who won

https://twitter.com/alacastus/status/1198026550689632257?s=21

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Awesome yeah that works for me, thanks!
okay, live now. It's level 30, but it's a female so you can breed it if necessary.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

okay, live now. It's level 30, but it's a female so you can breed it if necessary.

Yeah that'd be perfect, 0386 right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Yeah that'd be perfect, 0386 right?
yup yup

I kinda lucked out with this gen asking for a 3-digit number on the uniforms, y'know? :cheeky:

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

yup yup

I kinda lucked out with this gen asking for a 3-digit number on the uniforms, y'know? :cheeky:

Really appreciate it! Sorry it took me so long, I forgot to connect to the internet

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

EDIT: I thought Pokejobs were worthless but according to Serebii level 9 jobs can give PP Ups and Rare candies and there’s a special level 10 job that can give 10-15 Big nuggets. For not needing to do anything those aren’t bad.

Ok I sent out about 200 Pokémon yesterday for 24 hours and they got back today. All I got was garbage but the worst part is it messed up the order of my boxes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RatHat posted:

it messed up the order of my boxes.

This is the unforgivable aspect of poke jobs. I only use it for EV training and nothing more.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Really appreciate it! Sorry it took me so long, I forgot to connect to the internet
no problem!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is the unforgivable aspect of poke jobs. I only use it for EV training and nothing more.
went back and played ORAS the other day to shiny chain, and god, I really do miss horde EV training. Sure, the newer games let you train a bunch overnight, but hey, guess what! with the power items and pokerus, you could EV train a pokemon from start to finish in maybe 20 minutes. (and, with the shiny charm, your chance of finding a shiny in a horde was like, 1/250)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I need box sorting. Just something basic, like auto sort to dex #. :argh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dont hold your breath

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokemon Home will have a robust box/pokemon managing system fully integrated with Sw/Sh and hahahahahhahaha I can’t loving wait how bad this thing is going to be

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wish Pokemon game saves were compatible with the Nintendo cloud saves

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but I don't play much competitive - because dynamax only lasts 3 turns, shouldn't that mean that wall/stall pokemon should be a viable counter?

Live Free posted:

toxapex w/ haze ftw

The issue here is you have to be capable of walling the Dynamax in the first place. Take a very innocuous example, Charizard with a +speed nature, Heavy Duty Boots, and no setup at all:

252 SpA Charizard Max Airstream (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 138-163 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If you bring in Toxapex on Rocks or Spikes, it will get 2HKO, and then you're left with a +2 speed Charizard, probably in the sun, and you're down 2 Pokemon (Tox + whatever else you lost in the 3rd turn). The only good solution here is to stall 1 turn somehow, sac a Pokemon on the 2nd turn, and then bring in Toxapex to Haze on the 3rd turn, at which point you're left with 1 sacrificed Pokemon and a Toxapex at 40%. That's essentially the best possible outcome from that exchange. How many teams will have more than 1 Pokemon better equipped to wall a special Charizard than Toxapex?

Keep in mind this is basically the single most innocuous "setup sweeper" that can get dynamaxed. The common case is that Gyarados comes in on a Ferrothorn or something else that can't really do anything about it, Dragon Dances the first turn, and then Dynamaxes. From there, you get to play the guessing game of what Gyarados will use, because Toxapex can't actually switch in safely on Max Hurricane, but also if you sac a Pokemon to get a full hp Toxapex in, Moxie activates and well:

+2 252 Atk Gyarados Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 294-348 (96.7 - 114.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Like there are things that are capable of wasting time while also stopping the setup afterwards, but they tend to be fairly specific answers, and won't cover everything. Galar Corsola will wall Gyarados well and also Strength Sap it to keep it from getting out of hand after the Dynamax ends, but it's terrible against Dragapult and Tyranitar.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Soul Glo posted:

Wait, the save can transfer? Why can I not seem to do so with either SwSh or Let's Go?

You have to manually do it and it's super annoying

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO games where the overworld levels up with you (ie: the moblins in BotW going from blue > red > black > silver; the equipment drops becoming less lovely over time; etc) is inherently more boring and less replayable than getting access to new areas with new poo poo once you become stronger

the wild area in this game sort of dodged this issue with the level gating, but because you're expected to go to hammerlock right after Kabu, it fell a little bit flat. At the 3 gym mark, you've seen everything the wild area has to offer (aside from the lake of outrage/very tiny islands that get unlocked at gym 7) so you just go back at the end to catch the stronger pokemon, rather than gradual progression.

Oh yeah sure, I agree with that. There's other ways of dealing with it as opposed to just a flat overworld scaling. The only scaling I'm suggesting is just with the gym leaders, which already makes sense anyway given that its already canon that gym leaders use different level teams based on how many gym badges the challenger has.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Take the Dark Souls 1 approach, where its semi non-linear, difficulty is scaled based on location, and you can access harder locations right from the get go. I'm talking being able to walk through Victory Road right after leaving the starting town. With a little grit and moxie, any dedicated trainer can earn a Moltres early on to sweep the rest of the game with

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So since nobody asked I'm just going to propose the question since they can't be arsed to put the song in for Piers appearance what do you guys think he sounds like? I'd like to put forward this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMl3m23ZuU&list=LLIAnx0YnV0qkPDMCRAa5r1Q&index=2&t=0s

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

DemoneeHo posted:

Take the Dark Souls 1 approach, where its semi non-linear, difficulty is scaled based on location, and you can access harder locations right from the get go. I'm talking being able to walk through Victory Road right after leaving the starting town. With a little grit and moxie, any dedicated trainer can earn a Moltres early on to sweep the rest of the game with

this is probably the best approach to making a more open pokémon

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Blaziken386 posted:

no problem!

went back and played ORAS the other day to shiny chain, and god, I really do miss horde EV training. Sure, the newer games let you train a bunch overnight, but hey, guess what! with the power items and pokerus, you could EV train a pokemon from start to finish in maybe 20 minutes. (and, with the shiny charm, your chance of finding a shiny in a horde was like, 1/250)

I prefer just being able to buy vitamins after crushing the tournament with my money meowth. The old horde battles are probably faster if you do multiple mons together, but this way I can just mindlessly get a pile of money when I'm watching TV and then instantly train up whatever I want to later.

I really miss DexNav though :negative:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Genovera posted:

I prefer just being able to buy vitamins after crushing the tournament with my money meowth. The old horde battles are probably faster if you do multiple mons together, but this way I can just mindlessly get a pile of money when I'm watching TV and then instantly train up whatever I want to later.

I really miss DexNav though :negative:

We all do.

Feb 2, 2005

DemoneeHo posted:

This could work with a little tweaking. Because you always act first, it means you can always throw a pokeball and have a very small percentage chance to catch anything. Bring along six route 1 trashbirds and you can throw 6. There's no moxie required to get lucky, or to restarting over and over again to try this strategy.

Make it so that you can't even throw the ball until the monster is at half health and I'm with you. (Super Fang/Focus Sash combo hoooooooo)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why isnt appletun real

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eimi posted:

Yeah I personally don't like open games or see what challenging the gyms in any order would improve. Having linear order means there's the possibility of doing something more interesting with the story and a rising challenge. I'd rather they just apply the design principles of the wild area to the various routes themselves. The actual wild area is kind of boring, and to me personally navigating to raids is extremely frustrating since so many weather effects obscure the stupid lights.

Ideal situation:

A Pokemon game has its normal routes you can follow but those are part of a fully built out region with random stuff found in the landscape outside of the route. Random trainers (including ones with actual teams), Pokemon lairs, optional towns, side missions, etc. You can get the fully story experience sticking to the routes but you can wander freely and explore/get wrecked as you like. Some areas could be gated by badges or items like we got a taste of in SwSh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ideal situation:

A Pokemon game has its normal routes you can follow but those are part of a fully built out region with random stuff found in the landscape outside of the route. Random trainers (including ones with actual teams), Pokemon lairs, optional towns, side missions, etc. You can get the fully story experience sticking to the routes but you can wander freely and explore/get wrecked as you like. Some areas could be gated by badges or items like we got a taste of in SwSh.

That'd be fine! And I absolutely miss dungeons and such. I'd love hidden optional dungeons vs being lead there by the story all the time. We already have breeding for IV's lets breed some Golden Pikachus to open up the route to Ultimate Weapon. :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Why isnt appletun real

I bet they'd be really nice to have your lap when it's cold outside while you're chilling in front of a fireplace. They probably smell like cinnamon apples.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I've almost finished all the gyms and need to put together an all black and purple team for the final story stretch.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I just had 5 different gmax sandacondas break out of their ball without a single shake (including one I hosted), so my final conclusion is that gmax raids can eat my rear end.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dad Jokes posted:

I just had 5 different gmax sandacondas break out of their ball without a single shake (including one I hosted), so my final conclusion is that gmax raids can eat my rear end.

Same but with hatterrenes/centiskorchs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I ain't catching no Goobermaxes except for Snorterra.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dad Jokes posted:

gmax pokemon are assholes yes, but: you can infintitely retry any raid you're hosting so long as you save beforehand, so just do that?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Flopsy posted:

I bet they'd be really nice to have your lap when it's cold outside while you're chilling in front of a fireplace. They probably smell like cinnamon apples.

Big apple boi

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kurtofan posted:

Why isnt appletun real

Because doctors would loving hate them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Big apple boi

A good fruit baby.

https://twitter.com/billetskillet/status/1198767054985342977

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Got a duralodon and a 5 IV dreepy from surprise trade today!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

this 5 star drednaw will not get in the loving pokeball, I'm hosting and I've been trying for hours.

e: however, as a side note, I've learned that bolt beak does insane damage against slow pokemon. (provided they don't have loving barriers :argh:)

edit 2: once again, complaining on the internet works, as both me and my friend caught one. as a sidenote, apparently level restriction doesnt matter in raids! you can just use a level 50 pokemon even if you've literally just started the wild area! Because I traded her a grimmsnarl to help me with and it actually worked.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flopsy posted:

A good fruit baby.

ngl I was a little put off by the pokédex description detailing how children love eating its skin