Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It probably was just something shiny to dangle in front of VC. Their real business was supposedly the cloud kitchens/commissaries, which also seemed like a strange worst of both worlds experience. Restaurants that aren't popular/successful enough to sustain a kitchen location or real food truck can produce food in one central location that's probably just far enough to suck for delivery for everyone. The best scenario is that they don't try to do service and become WeWork but for commercial kitchens, which would be neat honestly, but makes very little business sense.

Deliveroo in London was putting commercial kitchens in shipping containers, with the idea that they could park one under a railroad trestle or on a vacant lot and rent it to a restaurant for cheaper than a retail storefront.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/28/deliveroo-dark-kitchens-pop-up-feeding-the-city-london

Seems like from the restaurant’s perspective you could definitely increase your delivery footprint that way, without making GBS threads up your in-house customer experience with couriers walking through all the time (this is kind of annoying in a lot of NYC restaurants). But you’re beholden to one delivery vendor top to bottom and at that point they’ve kinda got you over a barrel on the terms of engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

kitten smoothie posted:

Deliveroo in London was putting commercial kitchens in shipping containers, with the idea that they could park one under a railroad trestle or on a vacant lot and rent it to a restaurant for cheaper than a retail storefront.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/28/deliveroo-dark-kitchens-pop-up-feeding-the-city-london

Seems like from the restaurant’s perspective you could definitely increase your delivery footprint that way, without making GBS threads up your in-house customer experience with couriers walking through all the time (this is kind of annoying in a lot of NYC restaurants). But you’re beholden to one delivery vendor top to bottom and at that point they’ve kinda got you over a barrel on the terms of engagement.

But that market can be disrupted by a third party not beholden to one app

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

It probably was just something shiny to dangle in front of VC. Their real business was supposedly the cloud kitchens/commissaries, which also seemed like a strange worst of both worlds experience. Restaurants that aren't popular/successful enough to sustain a kitchen location or real food truck can produce food in one central location that's probably just far enough to suck for delivery for everyone. The best scenario is that they don't try to do service and become WeWork but for commercial kitchens, which would be neat honestly, but makes very little business sense.

Certain foods can work well on a commissary distribution model, but it's limited and usually doesn't involve hot foods.

Also some of their ideas weren't terrible, but don't fit. They wanted to help run food trucks for restaurants. Which, okay, that's not a terrible idea. But it's more of a consulting service that you'd add to a place that sold/leased food trucks than real business. Most restaurants aren't going to pay you indefinitely to run a food truck for them, because either they need to learn how to do it or the operator should just cut them out because how many restaurants are really unique to be worth the hassle of cutting someone else in for some recipes.

And their pizza model in general seems terrible, because even my backwoods region can apparently support a wood fired pizza truck that's generously now added my area onto its festival circuit. If their market is people who want Dignorios but don't want to bake it or drive to the Little Ceasar's or door dash literally anything else, then good luck.

It’s more than that though, it’s sheer loving arrogance. They likely had a “great idea” while high, didn’t bother to learn about the industry because they’re tech bros and of course they know more than anyone else. It’s food production, that’s for dumb poors with a GED, how hard can it be???

Finally they just started loving up big time after being enabled by a bunch of VC assholes who couldn’t be bothered to hire a consultant or two for a day to sanity check this bullshit. How many times have we heard this story and yet people keep throwing money at them.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot of restaurants make good food because they have specialized equipment that costs a lot and wouldn't be in a generic commercial kitchen. A "cloud kitchen" wouldn't be capable of making anything beyond what you find at an average cheap diner.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Konstantin posted:

A lot of restaurants make good food because they have specialized equipment that costs a lot and wouldn't be in a generic commercial kitchen. A "cloud kitchen" wouldn't be capable of making anything beyond what you find at an average cheap diner.

Food Safety and OSHA would be a nightmare. A shipping container kitchen sounds like it would be easy for bugs to get in and hard for people to get out in a fire, and the general techbro disdain for safety regulations makes me doubt they'd care about passing health inspections. No one would risk doing an allergy-friendly menu in a shared kitchen either, which kills a lot of the bay area clientele they were probably imagining catering to.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, thinking about it, Zume reads like a classic "great idea" that breaks down once you start trying to math out who would actually want it.

It'd be great to expand delivery ranges and times, but the problems of opening a good kitchen makes it only practical for more generic stuff. And if it's not specialty, then who really cares about which specific place makes an average burrito/pizza/Chinese food.

Spazzle posted:

The number of ads I get on Facebook for unique premade uncooked food delivery services is really insane. Who the gently caress is funding this garbage?

It's a weird thing where, ecological costs aside, it's not a bad idea. Shipping costs get crazy better with scale and there's a huge demand for it. Whoever wins out in the end is going to have one hell of a monopoly and it can probably roll over into being profitable once they don't have to constantly knife fight 10 other companies, but so many are going to die or get bought out before then. It's just the usual case of VCs gambling with hundreds of millions of dollars.

There's also the chance that grocery stores will wind up eating their lunch. I know Kroger's lets you just pick up a prepped, frozen meal at the store and I've heard of other chains getting in on it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There's also the chance that grocery stores will wind up eating their lunch. I know Kroger's lets you just pick up a prepped, frozen meal at the store and I've heard of other chains getting in on it.

Albertson's bought Plated a while back and announced the subscription kit service is dead as of this week. They're still selling the kits in their stores though. Whole Foods has also started selling straight up Amazon-branded kits in-store, too.

I think it's smart on the grocery stores' part. Meal kit services don't replace your entire grocery store trip, presumably you're still buying milk and whatever else. Pre-assembled recipe kits in the fridge case at the grocery store would bring much of the same value at that point. Have a website to pre-order kits for pickup at the store and the store assembles on the spot from their own inventory.

Blue Apron's marketing is all centered around the actual process of cooking and implies it makes that easier. I bought into that line and tried it out. The reality was that it was the same amount of active cooking work, it just meant I didn't have to buy those ingredients at the grocery store. I still needed to do a grocery run every week anyway so Blue Apron wasn't really solving any problems I had. It also made me feel really dirty for how much packaging I was tossing.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 27, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

extremely online posted:

A shipping container kitchen sounds like it would be easy for bugs to get in and hard for people to get out in a fire, and the general techbro disdain for safety regulations makes me doubt they'd care about passing health inspections. No one would risk doing an allergy-friendly menu in a shared kitchen either, which kills a lot of the bay area clientele they were probably imagining catering to.

it could work as like a non-mobile food truck (outdoor food hall?) with a very specialized menu, but it would be super niche. more of a hobby or passion project and definitely not scaleable

there's really only so much difference between a meal kit and a fancy frozen meal in a bag that you dump in a pot. like if you're extracting 2 1/2 oz carrots from individual plastic bags, let's be real here

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

kitten smoothie posted:

Albertson's bought Plated a while back and announced the subscription kit service is dead as of this week. They're still selling the kits in their stores though. Whole Foods has also started selling straight up Amazon-branded kits in-store, too.

Blue Apron's marketing is all centered around the actual process of cooking and implies it makes that easier. I bought into that line and tried it out. The reality was that it was the same amount of active cooking work, it just meant I didn't have to buy those ingredients at the grocery store. I still needed to do a grocery run every week anyway so Blue Apron wasn't really solving any problems I had. It also made me feel really dirty for how much packaging I was tossing.

Yeah I've tried several of these and you're shipped a box of things, but half of the ingredients in the recipe they just assume you carry and need to go buy if you don't.

They ship you the easiest ingredients of the meal at a massive markup, and throw in some herbs and spices because buying those in store they're in far larger quantities than you'd need.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

less than three posted:

throw in some herbs and spices because buying those in store they're in far larger quantities than you'd need.
Honestly a service where you just get random spice packs and a bunch of recipe suggestions would be fantastic, and far better environmentally than Blue Apron's pile o plastic.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ryonguy posted:

Honestly a service where you just get random spice packs and a bunch of recipe suggestions would be fantastic, and far better environmentally than Blue Apron's pile o plastic.

There are definitely services like that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Truck is decades old but this is too good:
https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1199644074866888706?s=20

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'd love a service that does weekly recipe combos plus automatically ordering the relevant groceries from local stores in normal quantities (e.g. ordering a full sack of potatoes for multiple recipes that use potatoes through the week, rather than Blue Apron-style "here's exactly how many potatoes you need for this one meal"), especially if I can tell it what spices I already have. Haven't found something like this yet, though to me it sounds like an obvious win.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
An assistant, or maid, sort of combo without the costs, pressure, and guilt of directly employing someone please.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cicero posted:

I'd love a service that does weekly recipe combos plus automatically ordering the relevant groceries from local stores in normal quantities (e.g. ordering a full sack of potatoes for multiple recipes that use potatoes through the week, rather than Blue Apron-style "here's exactly how many potatoes you need for this one meal"), especially if I can tell it what spices I already have. Haven't found something like this yet, though to me it sounds like an obvious win.

The BBC food site has a tool where you can put in one or more ingredients that you have and it'll spit out a bunch of recipes using those things; it's great and I use it for meal planning inspiration from time to time. Honestly I'd be faintly tempted to at least try a service that does something similar to what you're suggesting, sort of a combo of that tool and a veg box concept.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Werong Bustope posted:

The BBC food site has a tool where you can put in one or more ingredients that you have and it'll spit out a bunch of recipes using those things; it's great and I use it for meal planning inspiration from time to time. Honestly I'd be faintly tempted to at least try a service that does something similar to what you're suggesting, sort of a combo of that tool and a veg box concept.
Watch out, someone's figured out that automation is just like having a maid or something

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

can I just say I cant wait to be an ECO-FASH PMU driving around executing meat eaters in this:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I’m a meat eater I’m setting up camp at least 260 miles from a charging station.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just realized that US Auto standards specify that the taillights and rear turn indicators need to be on a non-moving body panel. So the dumb rear lightbar would make it impossible to sell in the US.

They're gonna have to add secondary indicators on the bumper

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I just realized that US Auto standards specify that the taillights and rear turn indicators need to be on a non-moving body panel. So the dumb rear lightbar would make it impossible to sell in the US.

Elon gives less than 0 shits about standards. His successes are when someone comes in his orbit that can trick him into using a standard.

Another reason he needs to be jammed in a locker.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FilthyImp posted:

we'll fix it in appeals court

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think the crash test results on that thing are going to be pretty. There is a reason why modern cars all look the same, and the reason is that extensive modeling and testing has shown that is the best shape for safety and performance.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Konstantin posted:

I don't think the crash test results on that thing are going to be pretty. There is a reason why modern cars all look the same, and the reason is that extensive modeling and testing has shown that is the best shape for safety and performance.

It will definitely kill anyone inside it on any significant crash yeah. Remember Elon Musk's family motto, 'Safety third'.

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned
I just finished listening to the CryptoQueen podcast. Real pro listen about onecoin and its creator. Available from the BBC and your favourite podcast app.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84/episodes/player

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the best part is that these headphones dont actually do what they advertise and just make music sound lovely until you run the 'personalisation' thing on the app to 'tune' them to your ears.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Konstantin posted:

Reminds me of this old VW commercial: Round for a reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1gNcmi4tQ8

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This article is probably worth reading for folks in this thread:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/12/02/big-techs-big-defector

It covers a lot of ground that's already been covered in this thread (re: privacy), but draws some interesting conclusions at the same time.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like a great way to move from being a middleman that profits off every transaction to running up huge losses because you're taking on the risk of running kitchens/restaurants.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Except the middlemen don't profit off every transaction, they run at a massive VC-subsidised loss and are desperately flailing for any scheme that might convince people the company can ever be profitable.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

peanut- posted:

Except the middlemen don't profit off every transaction, they run at a massive VC-subsidised loss and are desperately flailing for any scheme that might convince people the company can ever be profitable.

And since that IV drip of VC money comes with a mandate for hyper revenue growth every quarter the schemes also get more and more cockamamie every quarter.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

kitten smoothie posted:

And since that IV drip of VC money comes with a mandate for hyper revenue growth every quarter the schemes also get more and more cockamamie every quarter.

If I tell VC guys that I will grow at a normal rate for a business in my sector, he's going to fund the other guy in the sector who plans to grow at 10x, attempt hostile takeovers of competitors, poach all talent in the sector, and or go to Europe or China in the next Qtr.

Some businesses can't physically deliver all the above items, in fact most cant. What was once, we need 1 or 2 more servers, now becomes a question of how many servers can Amazon give us tonight. Good architecture goes out the window, as does most everything else sane.

Side note, get yourself a Herman Miller aeron chair if you ever find yourself in this situation.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

It covers a lot of ground that's already been covered in this thread (re: privacy), but draws some interesting conclusions at the same time.

More interesting than I'd expected, thanks. Question about one bit it skims over:

The article posted:

Tristan Harris, a former Google ethicist and the executive director of the Center for Humane Technology, said that most people “would never say a doctor or lawyer shouldn’t have access to information about us, or that they can’t monetize something in their relationship with us. We say they have to monetize it in alignment with our best interests.”

Am I missing something extremely obvious here or is Harris crazy? What is the social benefit to a doctor or lawyer being able to monetize what they know about you beyond your paying them for service?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Irony.or.Death posted:

More interesting than I'd expected, thanks. Question about one bit it skims over:

Am I missing something extremely obvious here or is Harris crazy? What is the social benefit to a doctor or lawyer being able to monetize what they know about you beyond your paying them for service?

It is incredibly not allowed for lawyers to use confidential information from clients for personal profit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Irony.or.Death posted:

The short version: Harris is crazy, that information can't really be monetized without consent. Consider the source, however, Harris comes from Google where information is something you always monetize when possible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not a full critique but lol at this in the fifth paragraph:

quote:

McNamee was convinced that Facebook was different. Then, in February, 2016, shortly after he retired from full-time investing, he noticed posts in his Facebook feed that purported to support Bernie Sanders but struck him as fishy. That spring, the social-media-fuelled vitriol of the Brexit campaign seemed like further proof that Facebook was being exploited to sow division among voters—and that company executives had turned a blind eye. The more McNamee listened to Silicon Valley critics, the more alarmed he became: he learned that Facebook allowed facial-recognition software to identify users without their consent, and let advertisers discriminate against viewers. (Real-estate companies, for example, could exclude people of certain races from seeing their ads.)

There's definitely criticism to be made of Facebook but that it is overwhelmingly afflicted by centrist-lib-brain-disease seems problematic to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fifth paragraph?

More like fifth column.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

FilthyImp posted:

Also side mirrors, and I will wager good money that thing balls up like something from The 50's in an offset crash test.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 30, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The amazing thing is that, even obviously not paying attention to best practices or regulations, they still managed to create something so absolutely gently caress-ugly.

If you ignore reality and the constraints it imposes on design, I'd like to think you could come up with something far better looking than the Cybertruck.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like they had trouble manufacturing more advanced panel shapes. like the blocky stuff isn't because of aesthetic or advanced design, but because with the resources elon was able to muster to whip this prototype together he wasn't able to use better machines to produce anything other than flat polygons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You can lease a Model 3 but they don’t allow you to buy the car for the residual value at end of term, because they claim the car will be used in their self-driving ride hailing network.

We all know how that’s going to go, when they’ve been saying “full self driving in 12 months” for years now.

Is Tesla just going to quietly send these off-lease cars straight to the crusher rather than have a glut of used cars driving down the prices?