Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's been a month since I beat the game and I still think about it almost every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the only skill check you need to pass is the encyclopedia one that lets you know about contact mike, the 5000-1 rank outsider, vaulting an impossible gulf of finance and privilege to

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's been a month since I beat the game and I still think about it almost every day.

Yeah I'm trying to play through some other games so I can play this again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If there's one thing I'd change mechanically about the game, it would be to give a 100% Overwhelming Success success status to checks you pass by a mile, which would stop the Feld problem altogether and avoid ruining plot critical moments you've been building your character towards the entire game, like sliding Kim the gun and communing with the Phasmid

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Each thought cabinet slot costs the exact same as leveling up one of your stats. The upside of this is that thoughts sometimes have powerful bonuses that are far more valuable than stat+1 (and some even generate more experience for you). The downside is that unless you’ve looked it up you don’t know what exactly the bonus is going to be.

I picked without knowing the effects and overall would say it was more beneficial than dumping it into stats but you may not like the blind bonus aspect.

Edit: should refresh the page before posting

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
does anyone have the Overproductive Honour Glands thought or know what honor actually does, if anything?

multijoe posted:

If there's one thing I'd change mechanically about the game, it would be to give a 100% Overwhelming Success success status to checks you pass by a mile, which would stop the Feld problem altogether and avoid ruining plot critical moments you've been building your character towards the entire game, like sliding Kim the gun and communing with the Phasmid

wait when do you slide Kim a gun?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Its Coke posted:

wait when do you slide Kim a gun?

That must be during the tribunal, right after you get shot.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the only mod i want is infinite thought cabinet slots. hold all contrary positions. become paradox

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

multijoe posted:

Yeah, I'd think I'd keep the crit successes, but remove the crit failures. Rolling double sixes on a difficult roll makes for a good story; rolling snake eyes when it should have been a cakewalk just wastes your time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd probably do a stealth fudge that removes crit failures on white checks already tried once. But I think crit failing a red check is sometimes pretty neat. (I mean a stealth fudge that boosts retried white rolls would itself probably be a good idea)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 28, 2019

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Endgame question:

Does the phasmid always appear on the island? If it does, what the hell does Harry think if he hasn't found out about it from the cryptozoologists

A non-spoilery question:

I put pretty much all my points into intellect and psyche skills for my first playthrough. If I go for physique and motorics, as well as internalising different thoughts for a second playthrough - does this lead to a lot of the dialogue being very different? As different as a second playthrough of Alpha Protocol could be, by way of comparison?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Endgame question:

Does the phasmid always appear on the island? If it does, what the hell does Harry think if he hasn't found out about it from the cryptozoologists

yes and Harry immediately realizes it is beautiful and wonderful, he knows something amazing is about to happen, and then the phasmid flies off since you don't have the pheromones on you and the dialogue options you can choose represented my feelings of god why no pretty well, I'd say

quote:

A non-spoilery question:

I put pretty much all my points into intellect and psyche skills for my first playthrough. If I go for physique and motorics, as well as internalising different thoughts for a second playthrough - does this lead to a lot of the dialogue being very different? As different as a second playthrough of Alpha Protocol could be, by way of comparison?

I think it is a pretty drastic difference to play through the game again with a focus on the stats you didn't do the first time. I thought I had been very thorough on my int/psyche cop and had done all the quests, but my fys/fys/more fys guy ended up doing a few that were new to me. then my motorics/fys guy blew my mind with all kinds of little dialogue stuff, like finding out your first name is Harry, when you talk to Klaasje in the intro, because you pass a reaction speed roll and Reaction Speed calls you Harry.

its been so long since I did all my Alpha Protocol playthroughs that I don't think I can make a good comparison there, but all 3 of my Disco playthroughs ended up very satisfying and felt fresh all the way through by focusing on different stats each time

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like the broad strokes of the game are of course going to be the same, but it's a profoundly hard game to talk about people with spoiler-wise because there are things some people will find out in minutes that others might miss the entire game, and it's like....what can you do with that?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and if you really want to do a second playthrough and have it be way different... do a bunch of poo poo without Kim. you can get plenty of solo time by doing the field autopsy super early in a day, and if you want another day without him later, wake up bright and early and walk over to Klaasje's and arrest her!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Its Coke posted:

does anyone have the Overproductive Honour Glands thought or know what honor actually does, if anything?
"Overproductive Honour Glands
How to get: Pops up once you gain 5 "honor points". I'd recommend this guide to honor points.
While researching: 20m, -4 Drama
Result: Learning cap for Authority raised to 5"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I believe that's the one skill check you need to pass.

i think you also have to pass either phys instrument or savoir faire right after and those don't seem to have as many boosts

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm currently looking for bullet residue on the boardwalk but I'm not getting a popup anywhere. I've been over the area a half dozen times, what am I missing?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arist posted:

I'm currently looking for bullet residue on the boardwalk but I'm not getting a popup anywhere. I've been over the area a half dozen times, what am I missing?

You aren't missing anything, especially if you're still earlyish daywise. I do wish that particular objective was a bit clearer, because I did they exact same thing. :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Arist posted:

This is a perennial gotcha. You need to advance the story more first. More precise spoiler: It's INSIDE the Feld Electrical building.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm on Day 4, is that it?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It's poorly worded, and not on the main map. You find can find it after advancing the plot to a point that opens up a new area on the boardwalk.

E:fb

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Arist posted:

I'm on Day 4, is that it?

Yes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Along the lines of "what does honor do", I took Kingdom of Conscience and got the Intersoliary Trousers that give +1 to that. I would assume the trousers are just a gag that never comes up in game but with this game you never know.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Along the lines of "what does honor do", I took Kingdom of Conscience and got the Intersoliary Trousers that give +1 to that. I would assume the trousers are just a gag that never comes up in game but with this game you never know.

The clothes and similar ones like it just act as an extra +1 chosen conversation response for the threshold of triggering those thoughts.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 28, 2019

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I have the best stats when i'm naked, going out clothed is for punk bitches.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so has anyone else noted that the dialogue screen is a spooling reel of tape that has the label 'FELD PLAYBACK DEVICE' along the margins?

we are playing Disco Elysium on the Feld Playback Experiment

e: here is a screenshot in which it is clearly visible:

The label is both on the tape itself and on the printer the tape is feeding out of

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 28, 2019

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. It's really cool. I actually expected to find the machine in the game and it to go full meta.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Mister Bates posted:

so has anyone else noted that the dialogue screen is a spooling reel of tape that has the label 'FELD PLAYBACK DEVICE' along the margins?

we are playing Disco Elysium on the Feld Playback Experiment

e: here is a screenshot in which it is clearly visible:

The label is both on the tape itself and on the printer the tape is feeding out of

Having not played this game yet, but vaguely following it, I don’t care about some feld device, but am very intrigued by what seems to be your businesswear turning you into some kind of sex fiend???

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Horrific Necktie has reams of good advice

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Hwurmp posted:

Horrific Necktie has reams of good advice

I will not let you sarcastically malign the only person who truly cares about you in the entire world. Debate me, you coward.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that was entirely unsarcastic

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Dalaram posted:

Having not played this game yet, but vaguely following it, I don’t care about some feld device, but am very intrigued by what seems to be your businesswear turning you into some kind of sex fiend???

You have no idea.

I actually have a hard time playing this game because the writing is so good. I want to go back and reread bits as if it were a book but I can’t even if I reload things can turn out differently. Really stunned by what a good job the devs have done.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.gamesradar.com/disco-elysium-comes-to-life-once-the-talking-stops-zaum-details-its-approach-to-creating-a-truly-expressive-rpg

P good interview with A. Rostov, the art director.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Hwurmp posted:

that was entirely unsarcastic

hosed up if true.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So... I sat in a chair, a normal chair, took damage somehow and died (the chair was "uncomfortable" I guess?). And my last save was several hours ago. gently caress this.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Frankston posted:

So... I sat in a chair, a normal chair, took damage somehow and died (the chair was "uncomfortable" I guess?). And my last save was several hours ago. gently caress this.

lmao

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drat, that chair must have been uncomfortable af

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Endurance, who the gently caress needs it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Iron beats wood, better luck next time making a character with an rear end of iron...

... or just be ever so slightly quicker with the healing items, since you can use one to stay alive when taking damage that would be fatal otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Frankston posted:

If it's the chair I think you mean, I got dialogue when I was offered a seat telling me just how uncomfortable and painful it looked but that might have been due to a skill check.