Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The turbo button is temporarily disabled in the PTU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

I haven't ever heard of idiots marketing and promoting their feudal lord for free. I'm just saying.

Suckers are born every minute, this pre-dates barter and hunt and gather.

There are reasons why people believed things like lightning were the results of angry gods. Morons looking at it and making the assumption then running around and preaching it to every idiot willing to listen.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

X4 steam forums

yeah those fuckin battlefield PLEBS

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

AlbieQuirky posted:

So I don’t understand why people are always saying, “Well, you’ve gotta admit that Star Citizen looks great” when so much of it looks like this :shrug:

Some people in this thread disagree, but I’m firmly in the camp that SC looks pretty bad in TYOL 2019. It’s further compounded by usually bad art design.

It’s ships, personal gear and some small indoor areas look pretty good in terms of raw graphical fidelity, but the character models and large open areas are all pretty bad looking. When you walk around in the wilderness on Hurston it looks like someone’s lovely Skyrim mod with even worse draw distance. It’s sea is absolutely horrible looking, like PS2/Xbox bad, since CIG has never gotten decent water and/or water physics into the game.

Overall PC games lapped SC by around 2014, and consoles games have outpaced it over the past few years, especially since the launch of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Citizens love to use the excuse of SC’s amazing graphical fidelity to justify it being 5 years late, but that ship sailed years ago.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tokamak posted:

The turbo button is temporarily disabled in the PTU.

Yeah, but they moved Johnny Four-Jackets to Lorville! :colbert:

trucutru posted:

I haven't ever heard of idiots marketing and promoting their feudal lord for free. I'm just saying.

War.

And extra points for the Crusades, where idiots fought and died so that their feudal lord could skip the lines for Heaven.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 28, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

New Features
Locations

Added MicroTech Planet

Known Issues
:trustme: If a player dies in the vicinity of Microtech, the server will crash. Work around: Please avoid Microtech for now.

Quavers posted:

New Features
Players now have the ability to select their initial spawn location when it is their first time logging into the game.

Known Issues
:trustme: Spawning logic is currently not functioning correctly and as such logging out at locations that should persist the player, including the bed, are temporarily not working.

Quavers posted:

New Features
Added new Rest Stop interior variants.

Known Issues
:trustme: Rest stop shops have no purchasable display items.

:discourse:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Was it the lukewarm critical reaction to the Space COD with Jon Snow a factor that led to Star Marine to being indefinitely delayed? The fact that a bog-standard FPS in space doesn't cut it, especially when it comes at the expense of a Freelancer-successor that was promised first.

No. Star Marine was delayed before Infinite Warfare was even announced. (In-depth report here.)

But the mysterious last minute disappearance of the Squadron 42 vertical slice from CitCon 2016 sure might have had something to do with the fact that COD:IW was less than a month from release, and they’d already shown enough of the gameplay (including space combat) to set Chris up for a humiliating compare-and-contrast story.

CIG started filming a special documentary, “The Road to CitizenCon”, a month prior to the event. It focused on two story arcs — the making of the Squadron 42 vertical slice and the Homestead (Sandworm) vertical slice. The former supposedly got pulled two days before the event, the latter become the big dumb showstopper.

The whole thing was created with the backlash in mind and tried to guilt trip backers for being disappointed that the slice they’d been promised all year got pulled. It worked. In hindsight, I doubt Chris ever really planned to show the slice. Even the one they showed one year later is a chore to watch — it’s mostly just a walk and talk simulator with hardly a hint of combat.

Two years prior Chris had proclaimed Squadron 42 would be like a Call of Duty campaign but better because it’d be much bigger. Yet when a Call of Duty campaign showed up with a modern Wing Commander story, Chris ran away and hid. 3 years later, Squadron is barely making development progress and Chris is barely showing up for CIG videos. Must be so, so busy making sure they hit that 2020 Beta target or something...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

I can't recall another thread with this much venom towards it's subject matter since the Sons of Anarchy mockathon. What they have in common is that goons were genuinely positive to them for the first three years.

Was it the lukewarm critical reaction to the Space COD with Jon Snow a factor that led to Star Marine to being indefinitely delayed? The fact that a bog-standard FPS in space doesn't cut it, especially when it comes at the expense of a Freelancer-successor that was promised first.

I'm gonna answer honestly here.

The reasons for hating or loving this game are so varied, you could build a product off it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Tell me, have you heard of ‘sports’?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

3.8 stuff

So, let me make sure I have this right. The new features of the big end-of-year quarterly patch are:

* A new planet. If you die near it, the game will crash.
* Some new guns again
* Another even more inconvenient way to have your ship taken away for doing "Crimes" like, uh, staying near the landing pads too long
* Punching
* SSOCS (it changed nothing and you won't notice it)

And... that's it?

THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN, EMPTY YOUR WALLETS

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

So, let me make sure I have this right. The new features of the big end-of-year quarterly patch are:

* A new planet. If you die near it, the game will crash.
* Some new guns again
* Another even more inconvenient way to have your ship taken away for doing "Crimes" like, uh, staying near the landing pads too long
* Punching
* SSOCS (it changed nothing and you won't notice it)

And... that's it?

THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN, EMPTY YOUR WALLETS

In what way is the code connected that a character death would cause the loving server to crash? I don't see any conceivable way the changing of a state from "live" to "dead" can cause an entire server to crash.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

monkeytek posted:

In what way is the code connected that a character death would cause the loving server to crash? I don't see any conceivable way the changing of a state from "live" to "dead" can cause an entire server to crash.

Don't bother sending CIG your resume if you're gonna tell them that during the interview.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
New rocket launcher:

https://streamable.com/vbtej

:itwaspoo:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Maybe it has something to do with SSOCS or whatever. When the person dies the server tries to offload the container but doesn't care that other people still need it and crashes.

I don't get the hate for Infinite Warfare. I bought it a couple months ago for like $10 and had a great time. The story is terrible but if you play COD for the story you're doing it wrong. The set pieces were cool, the graphics good, gameplay tight and in many ways innovative and the space combat was a blast. It's a great game IMO as long as you don't listen to anyone talk.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Tell me, have you heard of ‘sports’?

Did these 'sports' get to sleep with your wife befo... wait a minute!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yeah, but they moved Johnny Four-Jackets to Lorville! :colbert:

War.

And extra points for the Crusades, where idiots fought and died so that their feudal lord could skip the lines for Heaven.

Yeah, but they didn't do it for free. It was for the salvation of their soul.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I can't recall another thread with this much venom towards it's subject matter since the Sons of Anarchy mockathon. What they have in common is that goons were genuinely positive to them for the first three years.

Well, there were the threads for the latter seasons of Dexter too. And Game of Thrones on some level.

People were positive about Star Citizen, because initially it was supposed to be something that might be viable, a modern better Privateer or the true vision for Freelancer; it also promised not to get in scope creep, not to stall, not use fake demos to fool people and had in a clause in its TOS that if it's late by a year or more, then refunds would be due.

Then it went back on all of those; the game is still in pre-alpha five years after its initial release estimate (and in fact the narrative is that proper development didn't start until the year it was supposed to release), fake demos and promotional videos have become the norm, they sell jpegs of spaceships, bikes and tanks, as well as virtual land, and of course the clause from the ToS has been removed (since a few years now), so no backsies.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Next-gen cockpit fidelity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcSNppK14k

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

trucutru posted:

Yeah, but they didn't do it for free. It was for the salvation of their soul.

For the salvation of the lord’s soul as well as theirs, though. Even when the lord stayed home.

But yeah, it is worth more than a free t-shirt.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWITCH: Relay reacts to CitCon

I decided to pop it open and check some random moments. I heard Erris assuring himself, after seeing Tony Z’s economy simulator, “that’s it - they’ve solved the problem of Star Citizen!”

:gary:

I’ve only checked a few moments. The funniest parts so far are the Jakegasms as Chris shows of the jump gate. It’s legitimately funny, “Whooooooooaah!!! OOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhh!”

Apparently they’ve cut back on covering Star Citizen, though. As have a lot of the other former diehards this year. Sadly, they weren’t granted press credentials to CitCon, despite giving Chris Roberts that beautiful “u done good” award a few years back. Strange, after years of performing useful services like transcripts for every drat show CIG did for years, that CIG can’t bother rewarding their loyalty, even while their new kid on the block Rexzilla’s entire overseas trip was probably comped...

Very strange.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, do those rockets fire out the wrong end of the gun? That is literally the only way my brain can process this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
High. Powered. 8. Millimeter.

What the gently caress?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More like a carrack of poo poo

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When Star Citizen was Kickstarted in 2012, WoW had been out for around 8 years. In 2020, Star Citizen will still be in Alpha and Wow will have aged another 8 years.

I dunno, just weird that the biggest MMO was only about halfway to it's current stage when SC was initially funded.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

High. Powered. 8. Millimeter.

What the gently caress?!

They are moving at hyper velocities and yet strangely have less range than a real world 5.56

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

When Chris Roberts first thought of Star Citizen, he still hadn't thought of Star Citizen. Now, almost a decade later, he still hasn't thought of Star Citizen. Or anything else, really. Makes you (but not him) think.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh no. oh no no no.

Star Citizen
Splinter Cell

Not like this. Not like thisssssss

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

New rocket launcher is obviously extremely finished and ready for PTU:

I love that even the poo poo they put out is barely functional- like, this should not have made it past any kind of internal QA. How is that acceptable as a release?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Elderbean posted:

When Star Citizen was Kickstarted in 2012, WoW had been out for around 8 years. In 2020, Star Citizen will still be in Alpha and Wow will have aged another 8 years.

I dunno, just weird that the biggest MMO was only about halfway to it's current stage when SC was initially funded.

Even more hilarious is the main battle hymn of the faithful is the "the tools are almost ready" I mean if you are still building the tools to make the game after 7+ years its time to look at other career paths.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

monkeytek posted:

They are moving at hyper velocities and yet strangely have less range than a real world 5.56

Can't wait to hear about how the ballistic performance of this amazing round can travel at speeds upwards of 6,000 feet per second yet strangely doesn't disintegrate due to wind resistance and other physical fsctors being applied to it.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

How, HOW do you butcher a weapon asset that's been implemented in the engine 12 years ago?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbmetfeaeds

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

I love that even the poo poo they put out is barely functional- like, this should not have made it past any kind of internal QA. How is that acceptable as a release?

The T stands for Test, you know? How are they supposed to test it before it's pushed to master?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Hav posted:

Ultimately he's hoist by the 'fidelity' petard as there is nothing realistic about pretending WWII fighters in space. Children of a Dead Earth has some of the most realistic physics for fighting in space, but it's a bit of a snooze-fest because 99.99% of the time is spent merging orbits or getting close enough to shoot.

Don't talk about the Best drat Space Combat Sim like that. >:(
It is entirely your fault you have bad opinions about orbital maneuvers intensive combat.

SelenicMartian posted:

Nobody forgets Tyrian.

And Jets n Guns 2 is still in EA.
People do forget tyrian. Still the most fun shump.

Beet Wagon posted:

If we're doing our annual "What space games are good though?" discussion, I am obligated to suggest Pulsar: Lost Colony. Graphically it looks like poo poo, but it delivers some really fun multicrew stuff (think Artemis or STBC but with the ability to run around your ship or board enemy ships or whatever). Honestly with the exception of like dogfighting and MMO-ness it pretty much delivers on everything Star Citizen wanted to be. It even has a cold planet that will kill you if you spend too long outside.

There are a couple Spacebase DF9+ games in early access now. They appear near the end of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsRnowUI6Do
They both are kinda SS13 inspired it seems as well?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

It’s really still amazing to me, like the rational part of my brain keeps telling me that 300 million dollars would have to eventually buy them basic FPS mechanics in a engine that was built for it, but here we are.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 28, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't wait to hear about how the ballistic performance of this amazing round can travel at speeds upwards of 6,000 feet per second yet strangely doesn't disintegrate due to wind resistance and other physical fsctors being applied to it.

They are coated with gravity goo that in turn keeps an atmosphere of argon around each slug of course.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Every nerd dream we ever had?

Become?

That's not my dream. What CR promised might have been. What CIG are delivering is a nightmare.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

I think this is sorta true, although it assumes that had Austin been left in charge things might’ve been fine. But Austin was its own mess, even if a funner, more honest one.

I think the bigger problem has always been Chris’s refusal from the start to lock down a design plan. He decided he liked selling ships and hype more than pretty much anything else, so that’s what he focused on, and in so doing, he hyped a dozen different and often contradictory visions of the game he was selling. He was doing that in Austin, then started doing it in LA, and since it kept money flooding into the coffers, anybody who told him “Stop!” was on the fast track to gone.

The Austin to LA move did help surface a different set of problems. One of the least understood elements of this history is the internal power struggle between regional factions. We only see it dimly through their public facade, but it’s there and it’s always been there. The power struggle between Austin and LA was mostly seen through the Wingman / Sandi drama, although I’m sure it was far more complicated. But when LA prevailed over Austin, and turned CIG LA into their propaganda HQ, that’s when hell really started to break loose. Rage at the weekly embarrassments wrought in Santa Monica had folks in the UK cringing and furious. We saw that made pretty obvious by the EightAce drops in thread. You get pieces of it in articles like the Kotaku UK stories:

Oh for sure, I'm not saying that if Chris had stayed in Austin that we'd have the BDSSE by now. But, I think moving you're supposedly frugal crowdfunded operation (every dollar CIG gets equals 3 evil publisher dollars) to one of the most expensive parts of the country and setting up in a flashy and lavish office was a big turning point and should have been a huge red flag to the backers. It declared that the optics of the project and hobnobing with Hollywood elites was more important to Chris than actually delivering a game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna come back to Warframe for the flyable ship. Any idea when it's meant to release?

It'll likely be Q2ish next year. The ship building stuff was done early so they kind of threw it in there. Railjack (or whatever they wind up calling the flyable ship update) was supposed to be late this year but got held back, presumably until working, because DE doesn't understand game development.

I'd be more excited if they weren't pushing multicrew in a game I primarily play alone or with queued randoms, but the demo looked super impressive.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

House of the Dying Sun is a great 20-minute starfighter shoot em up-slash-puzzle game

Every so often I message the dev (from available channels) tell him thanks and ask him to make more games. He has never responded. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zushio posted:

Holy poo poo, do those rockets fire out the wrong end of the gun? That is literally the only way my brain can process this.

They're coming out sideways :lol::lol::lol:

Just like this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvDeXaiBy3I&t=133s, at least they have some illustrious company

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 28, 2019