Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They were menaced, by a phantom.

No wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

"I thought the story was bad until someone explained it to me very simple terms" is a hell of a take.

It’s the exact same story except they replaced Jake Lloyd with a frowning emoji.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeimosRising posted:

People totally unfamiliar with cults, monasteries, religious orders, military orders etc. just no sense of history, or of human culture beyond snide, detached affluent America

Affluent America is the worst culture ever, aside from all the other ones.

Also it's kind of weird Anakin never bothered to spring his mom. He had no problem breaking Jedi rules.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Pollyanna posted:

What I’m hearing here is that it’s good that the Jedi fell. But also,

This is another example of why I, as an outsider to Star Wars, might see taking it seriously as an overall story as a fool’s game. It’s just so much easier to treat it as a mindless spectacle.

This line of thinking is, in all honesty, terrifying to me.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

theblackw0lf posted:

This simultaneously impressed me (for how tragic Anakin’s story is in TPM) and angered me in how poorly it was told). Reading this makes me more sympathetic to Anakin saying “gently caress the jedi”

That certainly is the story of the prequels, yes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

porfiria posted:

Affluent America is the worst culture ever, aside from all the other ones.

Also it's kind of weird Anakin never bothered to spring his mom. He had no problem breaking Jedi rules.

Anakin did go to spring his mom at what was reasonably implied to be his first possible opportunity. It ended badly.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shiroc posted:

Anakin did go to spring his mom at what was reasonably implied to be his first possible opportunity. It ended badly.

Years after the Naboo situation was resolved is not the "first possible opportunity" by any same definition.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Years after the Naboo situation was resolved is not the "first possible opportunity" by any same definition.

Padawans don't get vacations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
He would have been tied to Obi-Wan for those 10 years and being the consummate end of the Old Republic Jedi, Obi-Wan never would have let him. It was the first possible opportunity where Anakin alone could decide to do it and he still was hesitating because of the Jedi indoctrination not to do anything about it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

Padawans don't get vacations.

Child slaves abducted by a religious cult*

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
You're proving his point.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pollyanna posted:

The iron faked me out. I really thought that was a fuckin' ship.

I was 6 when the Return of the Jedi remaster came out :)

I am almost 30 years old this year. Feeling older now?

You aren't helping my dementia.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shiroc posted:

He would have been tied to Obi-Wan for those 10 years and being the consummate end of the Old Republic Jedi, Obi-Wan never would have let him. It was the first possible opportunity where Anakin alone could decide to do it and he still was hesitating because of the Jedi indoctrination not to do anything about it.

You know, a failure of the PT that I hadn't really considered before now is that Obi-Wan is supposed to come across as an inflexible, controlling, cultish handler that's actually hurting Anakin but because Anakin keeps doing stupid boneheaded stuff like leaping hundreds of yards down through traffic, and the fact that Ewan McGregor is just inherently likable and hams up some of the doofier bits of the material ("Hello there!") and you end up agreeing with Obi-Wan over angry, impulsive, emolord Anakin most of the time.

If they had played up Obi-Wan's dickishness, and maybe even explored the "is he making moves on Padme" angle a bit more, Anakin's characterization and turn maybe wouldn't have come across as poorly as it did.

Ah well.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Anakin: Please help, I think someone close to me is gonna suffer and die soon.

Yoda: Dying is good, actually.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mooey Cow posted:

Well, 900 years of experiencing real world poo poo I'd look forward to it too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mooey Cow posted:

The visions are used to convey that Anakin is afraid of any sort of personal loss, so Yoda was actually on topic here. It's not like Palpatine convinces Anakin by telling him the story of Darth Plagueis discovering the occult arts of quality midwifery.

That's the problem with Star Wars using quick dramatic shifts (Han going back to the Death Star, Vader's redemption, Anakin joining Palaptine and immediately starting to kill younglings, etc.) as a substitute for what would in real life be much slower affairs, you end up with a part of the audience not buying into it because they can't accept the intended storytelling method.

They could have used the same plot beat by having Padme have her first gray hair or whatever, but that's obviously too pedestrian for what is supposed to be a big fantasy epic.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 28, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yoda talks a lot about fear but is himself so afraid of the Dark Side that he forgets all about that whole "compassion" thing, both for Anakin, and the subject of Anakin's premonitions supposedly about suffer horribly, thus helping the Dark Side win. It's self-fulfilling prophecies all the way down.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anakin is afraid of any personal loss because of what happened to his mother and the 'no attachments' nonsense the cult that kidnapped him preach means he's unable to deal with it in any kind of healthy way, yoda might be 'on topic' but all he's dishing out are detached platitudes

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I kinda interpreted it as Yoda and Anakin talking past each other - Anakin can't just come out and say "Hey, I'm worried about my secret wife dying in childbirth" because, hey, secret wife, but because of that, Yoda doesn't recognize that he's worried about something specific or that he's not just dealing with general trauma caused by being a frontline soldier, and so can't offer him any real advice.

Now, that's not excusing Yoda - he's the face of the Jedi orthodoxy that's created this situation where Anakin has to hide his family from the people he's supposed to trust - but he's only offering detached platitudes because Anakin's only asking vague questions.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh yeah, that's 100% what's going on

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

theblackw0lf posted:

This simultaneously impressed me (for how tragic Anakin’s story is in TPM) and angered me in how poorly it was told). Reading this makes me more sympathetic to Anakin saying “gently caress the jedi”

https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381399926534144?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381789996748800?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382118821855232?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382546548584453?s=21

All of this is literally text in the films

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

asecondduck posted:

You know, a failure of the PT that I hadn't really considered before now is that Obi-Wan is supposed to come across as an inflexible, controlling, cultish handler that's actually hurting Anakin but because Anakin keeps doing stupid boneheaded stuff like leaping hundreds of yards down through traffic, and the fact that Ewan McGregor is just inherently likable and hams up some of the doofier bits of the material ("Hello there!") and you end up agreeing with Obi-Wan over angry, impulsive, emolord Anakin most of the time.

If they had played up Obi-Wan's dickishness, and maybe even explored the "is he making moves on Padme" angle a bit more, Anakin's characterization and turn maybe wouldn't have come across as poorly as it did.

Ah well.

But that’s not the story. The idea isn’t that Obi-Wan or the other Jedi are personally cruel or abusive. Rather, they’re all working within a rotten system, and it is so familiar and normal to them that they don’t question it and don’t understand why anyone would. Obi-Wan's a decent dude who's doing his best to live up to the expectations set for him. So are Mace and Yoda and Padmé (the arch-liberal).

The point being made in the prequels is that, by making the decision to protect the world they know, all these people nevertheless produce evil. Mace turns the Jedi into the warriors he swore they could never be. Yoda puts them in charge of a slave army. Padmé betrays her anti-war convictions once she can convince herself that defeating the separatists is just like liberating her home planet. Obi-Wan strives to be the consummate Jedi as a reaction to his father figure's death, and he succeeds, but that only leads to tragedy because it's completely inappropriate for Anakin's needs.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That twitter thread does raise the interesting possibility that the prequel trilogy would have been better as a picture book than as movies.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zoran posted:

But that’s not the story. The idea isn’t that Obi-Wan or the other Jedi are personally cruel or abusive. Rather, they’re all working within a rotten system, and it is so familiar and normal to them that they don’t question it and don’t understand why anyone would. Obi-Wan's a decent dude who's doing his best to live up to the expectations set for him. So are Mace and Yoda and Padmé (the arch-liberal).

The point being made in the prequels is that, by making the decision to protect the world they know, all these people nevertheless produce evil. Mace turns the Jedi into the warriors he swore they could never be. Yoda puts them in charge of a slave army. Padmé betrays her anti-war convictions once she can convince herself that defeating the separatists is just like liberating her home planet. Obi-Wan strives to be the consummate Jedi as a reaction to his father figure's death, and he succeeds, but that only leads to tragedy because it's completely inappropriate for Anakin's needs.

So the Jedi are like the Catholic priests of the universe and they train up impressionable little boys?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pospysyl posted:

That twitter thread does raise the interesting possibility that the prequel trilogy would have been better as a picture book than as movies.

I disagree heavily, if for no other reason then duel of the fates is one of my favorite pieces of music

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

asecondduck posted:

That's the thing, though, Anakin isn't naturally impulsive or boneheaded. He's typically quite reticent, and has to be goaded at several points. Obi-Wan is the one who jumps out a 100+ story window to Anakin's objections, and when Anakin does something similar soon after, it's because he's following Obi-Wan example.

YaketySass posted:

The visions are used to convey that Anakin is afraid of any sort of personal loss, so Yoda was actually on topic here. It's not like Palpatine convinces Anakin by telling him the story of Darth Plagueis discovering the occult arts of quality midwifery.

The best part of that scene is that Palpatine starts out telling that fable with the intention of portraying the Jedi as (unnaturally) clinging to power out of cowardice, but effortless switches tracks to "uh, sure the force can keep people from dying..." as soon as he sees that's what has Anakin's interest.

I can imagine him trying to explain the value of hard work through the story of the three little pigs only to end with, "the force could absolutely blow a house down. But you wouldn't learn that from a Jedi."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 28, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Obi-Wan is the one doing all kinds of stupid poo poo and then telling Anakin not to do it.

It's great.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just to join the Last Jedi hate-in...

Any proper Star Wars movie should be able to be retold as a medieval fantasy and still function on a basic plot level. ANH is the epitome of this - farmboy, rogue, black knight, princess in a castle, etc etc.
TLJ had none of this. Aside from the Luke-Rey stuff (which was still handled poorly), the main plot had no archetypes or mythos to speak of. Like a previous poster said, it was closer to Battlestar Galactica.

Lightspeed, for example, should never have been a plot point in a SW movie. It's a plot device shorthand for "...And then our heroes traveled for many days and nights."
Something like the hyperdrive being sabotaged in Empire, for example, is analogous to a wagon's wheels being broken. The whole "hyperspeed tracking" plot of TLJ makes no sense in that context, it's far too techy. Same with the "Holdo maneuver."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Holdo maneuver is roughly analogous to a ship ramming an opposing fleet and setting its powder aflame to protect it's flotilla. Like the defeat of the Spanish Armada in Elizabeth

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

pospysyl posted:

There are undoubtedly picture books for the PT in existence.

iamsosmrt posted:

So the Jedi are like the Catholic priests of the universe and they train up impressionable little boys?

More Templars mixed with Shaolin, but yes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can we all at least agree that the shot of the ship going light speed through the destroyer was cool as gently caress?

Also the more I go through Thanksgiving this year, the more Ren’s “let it all die” viewpoint appeals to me.

Captain Jesus posted:

This line of thinking is, in all honesty, terrifying to me.

:shrug:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 28, 2019

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

All of this is literally text in the films

"Here's a bunch of mannequins walking through the plot, any emotional content is left as an exercise for the readerviewer" is not great filmmaking imo

Pollyanna posted:

Can we all at least agree that the shot of the ship going light speed through the destroyer was cool as gently caress?

It's easily the best shot in all of Star Wars, and it's my firm (:tinfoil:) belief that Johnson nicked it from Shane Carruth's never-made A TOPIARY script.

quote:

ANOTHER WORLD
A SHIP, miles long, drifts in deep space. It has been cracked
into four large pieces, held together only by gravity. One
side is covered in a HONEYCOMB of Flumes. Chorus pieces drift
free in the space around it.

Johnson definitely read A TOPIARY so :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It felt very anime, in a good way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Pollyanna posted:

Also the more I go through Thanksgiving this year, the more Ren’s “let it all die” viewpoint appeals to me.

Same but It's a shame that was all bs and he goes back to being an evil dark lord 5 minutes later

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shiroc posted:

Why did the tusken raiders torture her anyway?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hatter106 posted:

Just to join the Last Jedi hate-in...

Any proper Star Wars movie should be able to be retold as a medieval fantasy and still function on a basic plot level. ANH is the epitome of this - farmboy, rogue, black knight, princess in a castle, etc etc.

Why do you believe a "proper" star wars has to do this? Seems to me itd be boring to constrain a sci-fi universe to only having shiny looking medieval tropes in it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Clipperton posted:

"Here's a bunch of mannequins walking through the plot, any emotional content is left as an exercise for the readerviewer" is not great filmmaking imo

All the characters are very emotional. They just aren’t displaying the emotions you want them to.

Like, the twitter comic is arguing that 10-years-old Anakin should be furious at the idea of becoming a superhero astronaut, instead of a slave with a bomb in his head.

What you and the comic are demanding is for someone to step in and tell you how you are, officially, supposed to feel. In other words, you expected Anakin to be George Lucas’ omniscient self-insert character - screaming morality at the audience.

But, instead, Anakin gets a rad spaceship and happily kills 3 million people. After blowing up the enemy mothership, yellow becomes his favorite colour of fighter jet.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 29, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Anakin is like, 11, right? I would assume he wouldn't really start questioning his life, his mom's treatment, and how he got to be a jedi until his teens which huh, is exactly what happens in the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Freakazoid_ posted:

Why did the tusken raiders torture her anyway?

Something something white woman something something "sand people" something Lucas something jar jar something something killed them all