Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I hope that truck had SpaceNuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well holy poo poo, I just found my new dream car :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well holy poo poo, I just found my new dream car :allears:

If I had the cash a Lister Bell would definitely be on the cards. You can get them with the iconic coffin wheels too.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Puddin posted:

Rural AU? All the fucken time on any dual carriageway in Brisbane.

20km/h under the speed limit, I'm overtaking people with a 4 ton load in the truck which is slow as gently caress.

As soon as you get in front of them it's like they can not stand to be behind someone then speed up.

Don't get me started on the dumb loving Uber Eats cunts that ride two a piece on a 50cc scooter.

The bulk of my experience is on the stretch between Perth and Manjimup in WA. Once you get past Mandurah and Bunbury the roads open up to 110 km/h single-lane with ~10km overtaking lanes every now and then which are usually on straights.

Heaps of giant logging trucks go over these roads south of Bridgetown and they drive around 60-70km/h until an overtaking lane appears which is when they decide to floor it to 80-90km/h whilst staying in the left-hand lane. This makes passing them difficult and dangerous as you have to make it past 1-3 trucks with 2-3 trailers each in the right-hand lane of the overtaking section which only lasts for ~10kms. It's dumb as gently caress and entirely unnecessary if only those loving truckers would keep the same speed!

I've got many a terrifying memory of when I was a kid and my dad was just going nuts and pushing our Toyota Tarago or Mazda 121 to stupid revs trying to get past dumb trucks (Ever seen a 121 do 60 in second lol it's bad).

Edit: the route for those who're interested. Also on closer inspection I forgot that Greenbushes was north of Bridgetown so the logging trucks really start appearing south of Balingup. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Per...-34.2491597!3e0

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2019

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Pile Of Garbage posted:

The bulk of my experience is on the stretch between Perth and Manjimup in WA. Once you get past Mandurah and Bunbury the roads open up to 110 km/h single-lane with ~10km overtaking lanes every now and then which are usually on straights.

Heaps of giant logging trucks go over these roads south of Bridgetown and they drive around 60-70km/h until an overtaking lane appears which is when they decide to floor it to 80-90km/h whilst staying in the left-hand lane. This makes passing them difficult and dangerous as you have to make it past 1-3 trucks with 2-3 trailers each in the right-hand lane of the overtaking section which only lasts for ~10kms. It's dumb as gently caress and entirely unnecessary if only those loving truckers would keep the same speed!

I've got many a terrifying memory of when I was a kid and my dad was just going nuts and pushing our Toyota Tarago or Mazda 121 to stupid revs trying to get past dumb trucks (Ever seen a 121 do 60 in second lol it's bad).

Edit: the route for those who're interested. Also on closer inspection I forgot that Greenbushes was north of Bridgetown so the logging trucks really start appearing south of Balingup. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Per...-34.2491597!3e0

I only just got my truck license in the last 5 years but prior to that always gave trucks a wide bearth just because it's a gigantic ram rod that will gently caress up your day if you cut them off.

After finally getting my license I am 100% sure that anyone that is going for any kind of road license should at least have a lesson or two in a MR truck.

Purely for people to get an idea of what it actually takes to pull up a truck quickly when someone pulls in front of you without the required distance.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There are two reasons people speed up at passing lanes. Either because they are in fact fuckwits, or, because wide straight roads with more lanes psychologically induce a driver to speed up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/69757650/why-do-people-speed-up-in-passing-lanes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BuckyDoneGun posted:

There are two reasons people speed up at passing lanes. Either because they are in fact fuckwits, or, because wide straight roads with more lanes psychologically induce a driver to speed up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/69757650/why-do-people-speed-up-in-passing-lanes

Set. Your. loving. Cruise. Control. You. loving. Dimwits.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Round here at least, the sections of road that aren’t passing lanes are usually too winding for cruise control.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Puddin posted:

I only just got my truck license in the last 5 years but prior to that always gave trucks a wide bearth just because it's a gigantic ram rod that will gently caress up your day if you cut them off.

After finally getting my license I am 100% sure that anyone that is going for any kind of road license should at least have a lesson or two in a MR truck.

Purely for people to get an idea of what it actually takes to pull up a truck quickly when someone pulls in front of you without the required distance.

Yeah before you're allowed to drive around the open pits at my work in a landcruiser, you have to do two ridealong sessions in a haul truck going down to the pit floor and out to the ROM pad so you can get a feel for how they operate. You get up into the cabin and think to yourself "drat you really can't see poo poo up here".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How is glass cockpit still not a thing on those BUFFs? You can get 360 cameras in like 30k cars nowadays.

Puddin posted:

Rural AU? All the fucken time on any dual carriageway in Brisbane.

20km/h under the speed limit, I'm overtaking people with a 4 ton load in the truck which is slow as gently caress.

As soon as you get in front of them it's like they can not stand to be behind someone then speed up.

Don't get me started on the dumb loving Uber Eats cunts that ride two a piece on a 50cc scooter.

I think that's just driving.txt, not specific to any place.

But it makes sense, usually the places with a passing lanes are straight and clear so obviously everyone would naturally speed up without trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Still I end up having to go very illegal speeds to get past these guys that will inevitably slow down to a crawl at a sight of a curve.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Whichever traffic engineer in Victoria, Australia who decided that every highway that went up a hill should have an overtaking lane through that section has earned my eternal gratitude.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hell yeah.

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1200063054374940675

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

How is glass cockpit still not a thing on those BUFFs? You can get 360 cameras in like 30k cars nowadays.

You're talking about a tens of millions of dollars contract. The E-3 is just going through this upgrade now (separate from the Block 40/45 upgrade). I'm surprised the B-52 didn't get it first, but not THAT surprised. They're not even RVSM compliant yet, and the E-3 went through that in the late 2000s. It's also a lot more complicated than upgrading a Citation's instruments.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1199644074866888706?s=19

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Lego Elon would claim it doesn't hurt your feet if you step on it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

He would blame your feet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

You're talking about a tens of millions of dollars contract. The E-3 is just going through this upgrade now (separate from the Block 40/45 upgrade). I'm surprised the B-52 didn't get it first, but not THAT surprised. They're not even RVSM compliant yet, and the E-3 went through that in the late 2000s. It's also a lot more complicated than upgrading a Citation's instruments.

I meant the mine haul trucks from the post above, which are also big and ugly :) but the situation with million dollar contracts is probably similar anyway...

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Lego Elon would claim it doesn't hurt your feet if you step on it.

He would show a video of a guy wearing steel soled shoes stepping on it as proof that it doesn't hurt your bare feet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

I meant the mine haul trucks from the post above, which are also big and ugly :) but the situation with million dollar contracts is probably similar anyway...

Not being into aeronautical insanity thread would've been a good clue too. lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I’ve seen that in other threads previously, but only just now realized it’s from LEGO themselves. Good on them for having a sense of humor.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31130/retro-mazda-b-series-concept-truck-has-an-rx-7-turbo-engine-and-matching-jetski posted:

Retro Mazda B-Series Concept Truck Has an RX-7 Turbo Engine and Matching Jetski

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Ancient Insanity?
https://youtu.be/CojXtBho0Bc?t=2618

I know, it probably didn't actually exist

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

wesleywillis posted:

Ancient Insanity?

Yes, from the lead water pipes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Sorry, I was phone posting earlier and wasn't sure how to share the images quickly:

MetaJew posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31130/retro-mazda-b-series-concept-truck-has-an-rx-7-turbo-engine-and-matching-jetski posted:

Retro Mazda B-Series Concept Truck Has an RX-7 Turbo Engine and Matching Jetski

If Jon Bois wrote about trucks rather than sports, he'd avow to loving normal pickups as much as anyone else, but he'd argue that we have all the normal trucks we could ever want. Surely, once every 100,000 trucks or so, you can find room for one pointless, silly, form-over-function truck, and such is the case of this turbocharged, rotary-powered Mazda B-series surf truck.

Mazda commissioned performance shop Racing Beat to build such a vehicle in 1989, which Speed Hunters reports was called "California Haulin'." A likely throwback to the rotary-engined Mazda REPU of the '70s, California Haulin' was a concept truck by any definition. Wrapped in a custom fiberglass body with aftermarket fog lights and a period livery you could swear you've seen in half a dozen bowling alleys, California Haulin' ingested air through twin hood scoops, which passed through a top-mounted intercooler.

This was plumbed into a turbocharged rotary engine, allegedly borrowed from a 1987 RX-7 Turbo II, and linked to a four-speed automatic transmission. Good for just 185 horsepower and 183 pound-feet of torque accessible no lower than 3,500 rpm, California Haulin' was far from being the most capable at pickup truck stuff, but it did manage to carry a matching Kawasaki JS550 jetski to make us green with envy.

Sometime between a 2009 photoshoot and the truck's last spotting at a 2015 Cars & Coffee in California, the original wheels were swapped out for a set also borrowed from the third-generation "FC3S" RX-7. Since then, however, California Haulin' has seemingly dropped off the map. If you know where to find the owner, give us a shout; we'd love to crank up the vaporwave and go for a cruise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

reminds me of this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Sorry, I was phone posting earlier and wasn't sure how to share the images quickly:

I just saw that truck on that JDM show on cable so apparently they found it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

reminds me of this

I can’t hate any El Camino wannabe. It’s a noble aspiration.
And I’ve always liked Racing Beat’s rotary B2000.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Is it for a jet?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it's my new portable fleshlight

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Never knew Matchbox made such a thing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

All those ridges... you sure it's not Bad Dragon?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Self Propelled Fleshlight 2S25 Sprut.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is it for a jet?

100%, yes.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cool

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

All those ridges... you sure it's not Bad Dragon?

Nah those are just for pleasure

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

:hmmyes: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/379258279416157

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That thing is majestic.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:swoon:

New commuter bitch, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Good?

Only registered members can see post attachments!