Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Doctor Who was ruined when it stopped being a police procedural and started following some weirdo in a phone box. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Barry Foster posted:

Nu-Who has been a soap opera since 2005, ffs

and a not minor portion of the first two series were about Rose's relationship with Micky and eventual love for the Doctor, while a lot of series 8 revolved around Clara's relationship with Danny and how that affected her travelling with the Doctor, but then Bill fancying one girl and having a date with another was shoving homosexuality down our throat. almost like these people are disingenuous dinguses :thunkher:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

and a not minor portion of the first two series were about Rose's relationship with Micky and eventual love for the Doctor, while a lot of series 8 revolved around Clara's relationship with Danny and how that affected her travelling with the Doctor, but then Bill fancying one girl and having a date with another was shoving homosexuality down our throat. almost like these people are disingenuous dinguses :thunkher:

Even here back in the RTD days there was a decent amount of "Gay Agenda!" being thrown around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He got a lot of justifiable (and quite a lot more nonsensical) flak at the time, but man I miss big gay Rusty the Welsh Giant who loved Doctor Who more than anybody else and loving did something about it. :britain:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He got a lot of justifiable (and quite a lot more nonsensical) flak at the time, but man I miss big gay Rusty the Welsh Giant who loved Doctor Who more than anybody else and loving did something about it. :britain:

Oh for sure. What he lacked in coherent plotting he made up for in sheer enthusiasm for the material that just oozed from every episode. Character stuff felt part and parcel of his time on the show and it has pretty much always felt forced aside from some notable exceptions outside of his run.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hate the Capaldi theme with the loving clocks

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly really like the TVM theme with its triumphant Hollywood arrangement. It’s non traditional but fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like the squeaky Daleks :3:

I like to think the crime they're executing The Master for is that he pumped their casings full of helium just to be a dick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly really like the TVM theme with its triumphant Hollywood arrangement. It’s non traditional but fun.

It’s pretty much unique in that it starts with the middle 8, but it works very well for it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

the visuals of the intro are definitely pretty bad with the "haha, get it, clocks, because it's about time" but i liked how chunky the rendition of the actual theme was

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

the visuals of the intro are definitely pretty bad with the "haha, get it, clocks, because it's about time" but i liked how chunky the rendition of the actual theme was

I mean those visuals were literally based on a fan idea. Some rando made a youtube vid with that clock stuff and was like: "wouldn't this be cool as a Doctor Who intro" and the producers went "yes it would" and took the idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean those visuals were literally based on a fan idea. Some rando made a youtube vid with that clock stuff and was like: "wouldn't this be cool as a Doctor Who intro" and the producers went "yes it would" and took the idea.

That doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I give the clock intro for Twelve a pass because it's the only time they were ever going to be able to reasonably do a clock-themed intro.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbon dioxide posted:

They literally asked the dude who did the YouTube one to redo it for the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Box of Bunnies posted:

It did have the attack eyebrows, so it had that going for it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The thing that bothers me most about the Capaldi theme is how often the visuals were out of sync with the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapElueBRcM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did like the theme Big Finish used for its Eighth Doctor & Mary Shelly trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mIpHEPcZo

And the one for its 50th anniversary story "The Light At The End"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_Yh3acx0Q

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

It's a little on the head, but I liked it since, ya know, he's a time traveler. Between the two themes of space and time it's the time aspect that has never been used as a motif in any previous intros. Also it's more fitting since he's the 12th doctor and sort of the last time they'll get a decent chance to use the clock imagery what with 12 hours or whatever. So it gets a pass from me.

Anyway the intro makes it up with Capaldi's attack eyebrows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF is doing two more volumes of "Class":

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/a-new-term-for-class-and-some-new-faces

although two roles are being recast. Dervla Kirwan (Miss Hartigan from The Next Doctor) is replacing Katherine Kelly as Miss Quill, and Joanna McGibbon is taking over from Vivian Oparah as Tanya.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

BF is doing two more volumes of "Class":

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/a-new-term-for-class-and-some-new-faces

although two roles are being recast. Dervla Kirwan (Miss Hartigan from The Next Doctor) is replacing Katherine Kelly as Miss Quill, and Joanna McGibbon is taking over from Vivian Oparah as Tanya.

Gross

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Class was offensive to me after they appropriated the struggles of my otherkin friends and used their terminology to describe the villains of the series. :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I didn't bother with Big Fin's first set of Class stuff because I didn't care for what I watched of the show but they've done more meaningless series spun off from less so if there's an audience for this, good for them getting more of that :shrug:

Though, based on them getting Miss Hartigan's actor for these sets, and speaking of nonsense that nobody but me would want, get David Morrissey back and do a set with his faux Doctor while he still thought he was the Doctor and I'd be there day one

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Scorching hot take: I'd rather rewatch Class than the most recent series of Doctor Who.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

Scorching hot take: I'd rather rewatch Class than the most recent series of Doctor Who.

Have you actually watched Class?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Have you actually watched Class?

I watched between 4 and 6 episodes, maybe? I was more interested in those kids than in Graham and the other characters whose names escape my memory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

I watched between 4 and 6 episodes, maybe? I was more interested in those kids than in Graham and the other characters whose names escape my memory.

You don't like Graham?

What's it like to be such a soulless monster?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ryan and Graham’s relationship was a really nice core of the season.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I refuse to believe that anyone actually watched Class

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone actually watched Class

I made it to episode 7 I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rochallor posted:

I mean I GUESS this is technically an opinion that could exist, but I'm going to call this Turing test a failure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I watched the first episode, and then half of the 2nd up until my interest rapidly tailed off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I left it on in the background for a time but the cast is so irritating.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Graham was fine and charming and from an objective viewpoint, he's a great character. But I could not help but sulk at the fact that in a show that, with its casting of main characters is clearly interested in at least surface-level diversity that the best character was an old white man, while reducing the first East Asian companion's role to "I am here, too." It's not Graham's fault I don't like him.

I also did not like Class, but I HATED this last series of Who.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TinTower posted:

Class was offensive to me after they appropriated the struggles of my otherkin friends and used their terminology to describe the villains of the series. :v:

Class was offensive to me for it's radical makeover of Coal Hill School. :colbert:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd actually put forth that Ryan was the most interesting and well developed of the companions, though Graham was a close second and Yaz was also in the show.

Seriously I hope they figure out what to do with her this year because I like the actress and I think she did have a lot of nice subtle moments but there definitely needs to be more.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah I'll totally agree that Yaz suffered from "and they are also here" issues. Not quite on the level of Adric in Black Orchid but getting there. Clearly they need longer series runs to give every character a chance to do stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I really like one of the more consistent things they seemed to have about Yaz, which was her being a police officer that's good at a bunch of things that police officers need to do but you never see on TV. Stuff like consoling victims and gathering information--something I also saw in Broadchurch when I saw some of that, which makes me think Chibnall actually does recognize and want to highlight that.

That's really all I want to see from Yaz in the next season. Just more of her being a good cop about the quieter cop things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think they downplayed Yaz because the best episode of the series was about her and they wanted to give the other actors, who are very fine and nice people, a chance too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Graham was fine and charming and from an objective viewpoint, he's a great character. But I could not help but sulk at the fact that in a show that, with its casting of main characters is clearly interested in at least surface-level diversity that the best character was an old white man, while reducing the first East Asian companion's role to "I am here, too." It's not Graham's fault I don't like him.

I also did not like Class, but I HATED this last series of Who.

Look I actually agree with your Graham take and was also disappointed he got the spotlight but Class was very bad. And it seems weird to let Graham overshadow the entire season? Like the show has been about a white dude for its entire run, at least this time the white dude was not the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

I think they downplayed Yaz because the best episode of the series was about her and they wanted to give the other actors, who are very fine and nice people, a chance too.

The problem there is that had her downplayed across the entire series minus one episode, where let's be honest, she didn't even get the meatiest stuff to do. The best stuff with that episode wsa tangentially related to Yaz and probably would have played out similarly even without her