Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

People did used to set up relays but I’m not sure they work anymore. I do miss streetpass. I occasionally still get some and it’s always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sakurazuka posted:

Why the heck did Nintendo stop you buying stuff with a card on 3DS a couple of months ago?

You can still buy stuff on the website I think.

But yeah EU overhauled their rules on what constitutes "safe" for online stores and poo poo on 3DS ain't close, and Nintendo didn't want to put in the money.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ever Oasis is very cute

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

endlessmonotony posted:

You can still buy stuff on the website I think.

But yeah EU overhauled their rules on what constitutes "safe" for online stores and poo poo on 3DS ain't close, and Nintendo didn't want to put in the money.

If you have a Switch, you can tie in your account to the WiiU and 3DS ones and add money to your account through it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why would you do that when you can just use any web browser

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I would always get the most during the summer in cities, got a few people from France, Japan, and Mexico that way. Had luck at any video game or anime related convention. No idea about hacking them in however. No idea what it's like in 2019.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still have a router set up as a street pass relay. It wasn’t hard and it was pretty cheap. I have no idea if it still works but I imagine it does.

It was amazing for fantasy life.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It does not, anymore. I'm fairly sure that when Nintendo shut down the "Nintendo Zone" stuff (wifi routers at McDonald's restaurants or whatever that was), it screwed up the trick that allowed Homepass to work. It was cool while it lasted, though.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinook posted:

It does not, anymore. I'm fairly sure that when Nintendo shut down the "Nintendo Zone" stuff (wifi routers at McDonald's restaurants or whatever that was), it screwed up the trick that allowed Homepass to work. It was cool while it lasted, though.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, though.

Balls! I honestly haven’t had it hooked up for years. I think there were a few other options though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just beat Bowser's Inside Story (the remake), that was a pretty great game. There's some really broken gear that allowed me to one or two shot the end bosses. I think the only real difficult fight was the Class 7 gauntlet boss rush. Pretty weird of AlphaDream to have remade Bowser's Inside Story before Partners In Time since you can fight some secret mushroom enemies from PiT. Though, having said that, it makes for a pretty good segue into playing Partners In Time.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I think they skipped Partners in Time because it's generally considered the worst in the series and an overall bad game. And I wholly agree with that sentiment.

The final boss was such a damage sponge that I just turned the game off and said "I beat this game" and went to bed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Also AlphaDream was going bankrupt and they were likely desperate. Alas, it didn't work.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hamsterlady posted:

The final boss was such a damage sponge that I just turned the game off and said "I beat this game" and went to bed.
I had always heard this, and other stuff about how they made the game way too tedious with the localisation by increasing the health of everything by a large factor, but I never remembered being bored or otherwise noticing anything particularly off about it. I never put much thought into why that is, but just recently i learned, from the cutting room floor, that actually the only version of the game with the bullshit difficulty changes is the NA version! PAL was spared and so was I, and now it all makes sense!

So if you ever want to play it I would recommend tracking down that version if possible. Still my least favourite game in the series definitely, it's not just about exhausting fight length. I do think it's worth at least a playthrough though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's possible I have low standards or something but I'm enjoying Partners In Time a lot. It was a bit tricky getting used to the extra buttons for some of the bros moves but other than that, it's been fun. Getting the badge that lets you use bros items for free really does break the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pokemon shield is making me want to get a replacement copy of HeartGold. Nothing against Shield, it's just HG is probably the best of the series. Is there anything that doesn't work properly playing it on the 3DS?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing even remotely funky is that the pokewalker IR port is in the top of the card so you may need to hold the cart flap open on a N2DS. Everything works as expected, though, since it’s got actual DS hardware in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There won't be any online. Otherwise, it should play exactly how it did on a DS Lite or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

It's possible I have low standards or something but I'm enjoying Partners In Time a lot. It was a bit tricky getting used to the extra buttons for some of the bros moves but other than that, it's been fun. Getting the badge that lets you use bros items for free really does break the game.

It’s not a bad game, it’s just not as quite good as the rest of them, except Paper Jam imo. There is some great stuff regarding the babies and time travel that I remember enjoying.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pokemon shield is making me want to get a replacement copy of HeartGold. Nothing against Shield, it's just HG is probably the best of the series. Is there anything that doesn't work properly playing it on the 3DS?

Yeah remind me, Gold and Silver are the only games where you can catch pretty much all the Pokémon through to their generations right? If I were ever to replay a Pokémon game those would be it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I adored G/S and HG/SS at the time and they are responsible for some of my best Pokemon memories along with BW2 but I couldn't go back to them today. Following Pokemon are endlessly charming but not worth giving up the quality of life changes we've gotten since then. They were fantastic games though, no doubt.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
HG/SS had almost all of the major quality of life improvements it's not that terribly out of date. Unless you referring to things that came about with Sun and Moon like Exp. Share working on all Pokemon in the party, Exp for catching mons, and a separate class of ride Pokemon instead of HMs.

What's real hard is to go back to Red/Blue/Yellow. I put Blue down after making it to Celadon and don't care if I do or don't pick it up again.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Fyi, the DS online going down has caused a bug allowing for event Pokemon at will. I haven't done it myself.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/a1hb34/theres_a_new_bug_that_allows_the_ds_pok%C3%A9mon_games/

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh poo poo, I can finally get the Yellow Forest for Heart Gold, the only event I was mad I missed!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

xedo posted:

Fyi, the DS online going down has caused a bug allowing for event Pokemon at will. I haven't done it myself.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/a1hb34/theres_a_new_bug_that_allows_the_ds_pok%C3%A9mon_games/

This isn't a bug at all and it has been around for a very long time.

You're connecting to some random dude's server to download fake wonder cards and have to set up an old insecure protocol. It's a hassle and a half.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

This isn't a bug at all and it has been around for a very long time.

You're connecting to some random dude's server to download fake wonder cards and have to set up an old insecure protocol. It's a hassle and a half.

Well that's a pity! Hadn't investigated more than reading the article, thanks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

xedo posted:

Well that's a pity! Hadn't investigated more than reading the article, thanks.

You can make it work and the Reddit server might work too, but if you don't want to gently caress up your security you need a spare old wireless router and quite a lot of networking knowledge. IMO easier to just save edit.

And its neither a bug nor is it related to GameSpy going offline - it's just a server emulator.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

HG/SS had almost all of the major quality of life improvements it's not that terribly out of date. Unless you referring to things that came about with Sun and Moon like Exp. Share working on all Pokemon in the party, Exp for catching mons, and a separate class of ride Pokemon instead of HMs.

What's real hard is to go back to Red/Blue/Yellow. I put Blue down after making it to Celadon and don't care if I do or don't pick it up again.
Yes, all of that. Not to mention infinite use TMs and using the PC anywhere. They're not archaic but that stuff makes the games waste so much less of my time which is more and more important as I get older.

Red/Blue are borderline unplayable due to the lack of Running Shoes alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yes, all of that. Not to mention infinite use TMs and using the PC anywhere. They're not archaic but that stuff makes the games waste so much less of my time which is more and more important as I get older.

Red/Blue are borderline unplayable due to the lack of Running Shoes alone.

Running shoes/having the ability to map an item to Select were both huge, huge improvements.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I adored G/S and HG/SS at the time and they are responsible for some of my best Pokemon memories along with BW2 but I couldn't go back to them today. Following Pokemon are endlessly charming but not worth giving up the quality of life changes we've gotten since then. They were fantastic games though, no doubt.

I went back to HG recently to catch things in the Apricorn Balls, so I could bring them into Sun and Moon for breeding. It was pretty chill just running around collecting the Apricorns, turning them in to Kurt, and wandering around for things to catch. I even did the nonsense with placing blocks in the Safari Zone to get the more obscure poo poo. It just required leaving the game alone for like a month, which wasn't so bad when I wasn't actively playing it. Worth it. My Brelooms and Flygons look fabulous in Friend Balls.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If anyone feels like they need those wonder cards, you need a spare laptop you don't mind wiping to set up the server, and a router that supports 802.11b and 64bit WEP. Getting reliable support for these needs a pretty ancient router by now - most advertising 802.11b/g but not n will do.

I have a Buffalo WHR-G54 myself. Compatible hardware is $5 in charity shops all the time.

Then you just set up a DNS server and an emulated wonder card server on the laptop and you redirect the DNS on router level to the laptop. This can also be used to transfer hacked pokemon to any of the DS games. If you're using the server of someone on Reddit, you can skip the laptop bit, making getting the wonder cards way easier.

Yes it's just as irritating as it sounds like.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finished Partners In Time. A pretty enjoyable experience all around for me. The final boss fight didn't last very long but then again, all I did was spam Mix and Copy Flower every turn. Going to start Dream Team next! Makes me sad I'm running out of these games to play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Finished Partners In Time. A pretty enjoyable experience all around for me. The final boss fight didn't last very long but then again, all I did was spam Mix and Copy Flower every turn. Going to start Dream Team next! Makes me sad I'm running out of these games to play.

Dream Team is the longest of the games I believe so you’ll be playing it for a bit. It goes overboard with tutorials but it’s my favorite of the series. Have fun.:)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ryuga Death posted:

The final boss fight didn't last very long

I don't believe you

Ryuga Death posted:

all I did was spam Mix and Copy Flower every turn

Okay, I guess I can believe you

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Anybody out there still playing AC:NL? I recently decided to start a new village in honor of me being too broke to have a Switch and not wanting to buy one just for Animal Crossing, but the harvest festival is coming up and I don't have any oranges. I just want three, one to plant and two to (potentially) use during the festival.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

I don't believe you

Okay, I guess I can believe you

I mean, that has to be the only legit way to do that fight, right? I can't imagine doing anything else. Admittedly, the later half of PiT mostly consisted of wiping any fight with Mix Flowers since I equipped both Mario and Luigi with the Ulti-Free Badges.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dream Team is the longest of the games I believe so you’ll be playing it for a bit. It goes overboard with tutorials but it’s my favorite of the series. Have fun.:)

I'm really loving the presentation and story stuff so far. The expert challenges are cool (they should've been incorporated into the remakes, I think). The introduction of Dreamy Luigi was great.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry to make another post but there's a good amount of 3DS games on sale on the nintendo website.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

The ones that look interesting to me are SMT4 and Etrian Odyssey just cause they're turn based RPGs but I'm not sure of how they actually play or which one to start with. I assume with SMT, it's best to start with 4. I also don't know how difficult these games are since I'm not good at rpgs at all.

edit: sorry about the link, you have to go all the way down until it says view more deals, click on that, and then select just the 3DS platform.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry to make another post but there's a good amount of 3DS games on sale on the nintendo website.

The ones that look interesting to me are SMT4 and Etrian Odyssey just cause they're turn based RPGs but I'm not sure of how they actually play or which one to start with. I assume with SMT, it's best to start with 4. I also don't know how difficult these games are since I'm not good at rpgs at all.

edit: sorry about the link, you have to go all the way down until it says view more deals, click on that, and then select just the 3DS platform.

SMT4 is fun but be warned the first real boss is a kick in the dick, which isn’t helped by your AI “helper” picking moves at random. The way the turn based combat works, hitting an enemy with something they’re resistant to is actively detrimental, so there’s a fair bit of hoping the RNG doesn’t gently caress you.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can patch the Deoxys distribution rom for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to give out whatever wondercard you want to Gen IV games. It requires a second DS/3DS and a flashcart but it's less of a hassle than setting up custom networks. There might be one for Gen V but it's compatible with the current network standards using a DSi or 3DS I think.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryuga Death posted:

SMT4 has an absolutely brutal first dungeon, but levels off afterwards and becomes much more reasonable. I'd played through several other SMT/Persona games before it and it still killed me a couple of times before I even got a full party. And as said, the first boss (or two) are pretty tough. And yes, the best AI helper is the one with the heals and buffs instead of attacking moves, because she does the least amount of screwing you over.

I played the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold and its sequel, and they definitely seem more reasonable than the original DS versions, and not as brutal as SMT4's first dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The King of Cards DLC for Shovel Knight is releasing December 10th, and will likely be the very last thing that isn't SSS-tier shovelware to release on the platform. Will be a free download if you own a cart or the digital "Treasure Trove" version.