Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Tertius Oculum posted:

Can the mods ban anyone not talking about FRANK please?

Yes, Frank, the father of Acclaimed Author of Dune series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I mean, space pussy witches aren't so different from Lord CYBERTREX 9000.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tertius Oculum posted:

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a Frank

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

WHAT THE gently caress is wrong with @duneauthor?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

He is both racist and fetishizes black people, a surprisingly common combination

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Introduction of every woman character in his new "book" is followed by her relationship status.

Another one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've seen introductions of waifus in dating sims that are less objectifying

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This book really looks like a dating sim, where getting in the sheets with each female character is a stepping stone for @da to gently caress the purebred ebony goddess of his dreams.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I have a question : Was Frank dissatisfied with his work?

Children feels like someone told him to tone it the gently caress down with his favourite characters and he just took a look at his characters and themes and took it into a kinda dissatisfied end.

Also, do we know what the Golden Path tries to prevent? What threat looms that is so terrible to justify Letos II actions?

Did Frank know? Fanfics don't count

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The threat are two shadowy figures. One failson and one ghostwriter. Leto II knew that if we stay on the Golden Path and only read the 6 books by the father of @duneauthor we will be able to avoid succumbing to the alien threat.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The threat are two shadowy figures. One failson and one ghostwriter. Leto II knew that if we stay on the Golden Path and only read the 6 books by the father of @duneauthor we will be able to avoid succumbing to the alien threat.

Truly, Leto saw the most terrible Kralizec imaginable. No wonder Muad'dib went into the desert instead of facing this

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Also, do we know what the Golden Path tries to prevent? What threat looms that is so terrible to justify Letos II actions?

Did Frank know? Fanfics don't count
Kralizec, the long-foretold battle at the end of the universe - which is supposedly the time after the Famine Times and Scattering.

Siona Atreides, during the visions she experience as a result of drinking directly of spice essense from the God-Emperor, sees the the following:

quote:

The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder!

Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere.
That's just about the only thing we know of it, as no more has been written about it by anyone.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The golden path is a multigenerational effort to discredit @duneauthor enough so that only the original series is canon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

terminators, basically. not actually existing ones, but ones that humanity would eventually make. he had to change human nature so that the scattering would happen and no single self-inflicted genocidal disaster would ever catch everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

terminators, basically. not actually existing ones, but ones that humanity would eventually make. he had to change human nature so that the scattering would happen and no single self-inflicted genocidal disaster would ever catch everyone.

Kinda the irony being that the most survivable future is pretty boring.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda the irony being that the most survivable future is pretty boring.

Which is why Leto forbade travel or social or economic mobility other than working for him, to power the Wunderlust, like Polynesians colonizing the Pacific endlessly

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leto said that one possible future was the mutated hunter-seekers, but that as he drove them away from one thing another would pop up, and so on. The real thing that the Golden Path was trying to avoid was a humanity that stopped spreading and growing, because that meant eventually some threat would be bound to take it out given enough time, just statistically speaking. The Golden Path forcibly scarred humanity into a place where they'd never stop going and growing and changing and evolving new societies and civilisations and mutations and abilities in every new corner of space they reached, so nothing could ever be enough to wipe it all out.

That was my interpretation anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 28, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In addition to Sionas visions which I brought up before, there's also a section that I can't remember where it is, but it's also heavily implied that throughout the original Dune days and all the way to the times of the God-Emperor, that Ixians are building machines in the likeness of mankind, other than the ones that they sell to the God-Emperor. This is further backed by Ixians eventually producing computers that can handle the folding of space without navigators.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In the meantime honored matres are capable of fondling space.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MikeJF posted:

The real thing that the Golden Path was trying to avoid was a humanity that stopped spreading and growing, because that meant eventually some threat would be bound to take it out given enough time, just statistically speaking.

That, and to protect people from prescience. Whether the existence of prescience meant that humanity had stopped growing and spreading, or that a humanity that stagnates as the one in Dune did permitted it isn't really clear, but either way, it had to be destroyed.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I was important to create economic incentives for I’d to disregard the social taboos and design hyperspace navigation computers, so space travel isn’t dependent on one organization who needs drugs from one planet, which itself meant humans could only colonize worlds so far from Arrakis.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Did they ever explain how they did space travel without spice?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TK-42-1 posted:

Okay see, the issue isn't that they couldn't do space travel without spice, but rather the spice allowed them to sort of peep into the future slightly to figure out a SAFE course.
They can/could fold space just fine without spice. Spice doesn't actually have anything to do with the actual space travel. It's there to prevent folding space and popping back in the middle of a planet, or an asteroid belt or some other whatnot in space. It takes all the uncertainty and danger out of space travel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TK-42-1 posted:

They accepted that a certain number of ships wouldn't make it to their destinations. I don't even think it was a large percentage, but it was not trivial either. They also probably couldn't go as "far" because I think the risk increased exponentially.

So for all its woes and challenges the spacing guild probably made interplanetary trade enormously more robust and safer. Probably a good example of this is that the Fremen, who live on extralegal trade and squat in the desert, appeared to be familiar enough with Caladani rice to incorporate it into familiar dishes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TK-42-1 posted:

Before the Guild everyone just used computers to calculate the travel path. Then the Jihad came around and made computers illegal, and there was a 200 year stretch where space travel was real dicey.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Spice is the buzzkill. I will not let it enter me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, I figured given the Ixians increasingly didn't give a poo poo about the Jihad they basically rediscovered a lot of tech that had been lost, especially when Spice became so limited.

Leto II got so pissed about historicans making poo poo up to fit the narrative because it has the same problem of history now; when it's rewritten to support the current system there's no exposure to alternatives and no incentive to change.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

TK-42-1 posted:

i didnt read all the books but i remember in one of them i read i think the first 2 or 3 they said something like a guild freighter goes around the galaxy in one day and with out spice it would take them months of doing small easy hops and the losses would be enomorous. i think its when leto is explaining to paul ( the audience) why spice is so important

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Leto said that one possible future was the mutated hunter-seekers, but that as he drove them away from one thing another would pop up, and so on. The real thing that the Golden Path was trying to avoid was a humanity that stopped spreading and growing, because that meant eventually some threat would be bound to take it out given enough time, just statistically speaking. The Golden Path forcibly scarred humanity into a place where they'd never stop going and growing and changing and evolving new societies and civilisations and mutations and abilities in every new corner of space they reached, so nothing could ever be enough to wipe it all out.

That was my interpretation anyway.

Defiance Industries posted:

That, and to protect people from prescience. Whether the existence of prescience meant that humanity had stopped growing and spreading, or that a humanity that stagnates as the one in Dune did permitted it isn't really clear, but either way, it had to be destroyed.

What are you people even talking about? The actual for real author of Dune has written extensively on the nature of Kralizec, and it is beep boop shapeshifting daleks aaaaaaall the way down. This is clearly set up masterfully in the prequels and pays off rather satisfactorily in the last two very real, very official and very true books of the series. Also sandworms can now swim, for reasons that are immediately obvious and comprehensible for anyone with half a brain.

There's very few things I regret doing in life, but one of them for sure is succumbing to temptation and reading failsons cursed books. I tought "It can't possibly be that bad, even mediocre Dune is better than no Dune" and then I was completely wrong, instantly and forever. I am now become a tragic messiah figure, knowing what is to become of my beloved weirdo desert sci-fi series but powerless to stop it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brian Herbert and Todd Howard should team up on a Fallout/Dune crossover so that I can finally have the motivation to destroy civilization

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

All right, I'll be the one to say it. South Park did a parody of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_-0IdWioU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I started God Emperor and I fukken love it.

It's weird and tragic so far. As the reader we know why Leto is acting like he does, and how the Golden Path is a path where he sacrifices it all.

But still, it feels like it could be an excellent stage play in parts. Who would you cast in God Emperor : The Musical?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 29, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nathan lane as leto ii

that's not a fat joke, i just think a sad knowing role would be funny for him

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Rex Harrison as Leto I

James Cagney as Hasimir Fenring (dude had range)

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean as Moneo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anne Frank Funk posted:

All right, I'll be the one to say it. South Park did a parody of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_-0IdWioU

Not nearly as good as the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy God Emperor of Dune episode. That was really unexpected for a kid's show.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904953

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

gbs is the little death that brings total obliteration gently caress drat hell rear end

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

That thread is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tertius Oculum posted:

Let me be Frank...

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This book really looks like a dating sim, where getting in the sheets with each female character is a stepping stone for @da to gently caress the purebred ebony goddess of his dreams.

Henry Miller is the only one who can pull that off.