Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Anyone got opinions on Valkyria Chronicles vs Valkyria Chronicles 4?

Regy Rusty posted:

They're both very good and I say play 'em both. If you're wondering how they relate story wise they both tell the story of the same war but in different locations on the continent. 4 has some new unit types and QOL improvements but otherwise they're very similar in gameplay and are both a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Physical Indivisible for $15

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1200072446432251904?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Get VC first. They're both good games, but the first Valkyria Chronicles will probably feel like a step back if you play VC4 first.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
There's a lot of negative hype surrounding the new pokemon games. Is it all because of how they compare to recent other pokemon releases? I havnt played a pokemon game sine the original Red, is it a good enough game in its own right?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Both are good. 4 had QOL improvements, and good new mechanics, so if you’re going to play them, recommend playing 1 first - but honestly 1’s story is good enough and the gameplay is good that you could also play 4, see if you like the gameplay and setting, then play 1 later.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

There's a lot of negative hype surrounding the new pokemon games. Is it all because of how they compare to recent other pokemon releases? I havnt played a pokemon game sine the original Red, is it a good enough game in its own right?

They're perfectly fine as Pokemon games, though they have some technical issues if you go online. The fanbase got super spoiled by Ultra Sun and Moon so S+S being steps back in a bunch of areas came as a bit of a shock.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Amazing game, people are butthurt that there are 400 pokemon in the game instead of 1000.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If your last game was Pokemon Red, none of these criticisms will have much relevance to you. They're mostly colored by what recent games have conditioned them to expect. That's not to say they're wrong, but I think you'll have a very different experience from them.

Just play it for yourself and see.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it's a good and fun game if what you want from Pokémon is to catch cute mons and battle your way to being the champion, which is to say, it's very much a Pokémon game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get VC first. They're both good games, but the first Valkyria Chronicles will probably feel like a step back if you play VC4 first.

Do this, because VC4 has 2 very amazing mechanics that you will miss going back to 1. This is the tank not taking up double the movement costs of infantry, meaning you will pretty much never use it, and the APC :fap:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If your last experience with the games is Red and Blue and you enjoyed them then it’s likely to be a massive step up and worth looking at.

pixaal posted:

Amazing game, people are butthurt that there are 400 pokemon in the game instead of 1000.

Yeah, you really just can’t expect that much from a 3DS game!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

It’s like how the modern engine Yakuza games have less side stuff than, say, 0, where it had been iterated on and added to for a decade. Sometimes you have so much stuff that it gets unwieldy and you have to take a step back and pare down, and a technological jump is a great place to do that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s like how the modern engine Yakuza games have less side stuff than, say, 0, where it had been iterated on and added to for a decade. Sometimes you have so much stuff that it gets unwieldy and you have to take a step back and pare down, and a technological jump is a great place to do that.

It's more that it all has to be rebuilt from scratch than a conscious choice to pare down content.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even with 400 pokemon its too much. Whenever I go into a trainer battle and it tells me what the other trainer is gonna send out and if I'd like to change I just go "what the gently caress is this thing you're sending?" And then when it comes out I gotta go "and the gently caress kinda type is this?" and test the waters and hope this one isn't some weird rear end dual type who has a STAB move that my pokemon is weak to and get one shotted for my ignorance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more that it all has to be rebuilt from scratch than a conscious choice to pare down content.

I get that, but when you’re rebuilding from scratch that’s when you’re deciding “alright, this should stay, we can hold off on adding that back in” type stuff. It’s a side effect of the effort involved in rebuilding but it’s a rather positive one.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leal posted:

Even with 400 pokemon its too much. Whenever I go into a trainer battle and it tells me what the other trainer is gonna send out and if I'd like to change I just go "what the gently caress is this thing you're sending?" And then when it comes out I gotta go "and the gently caress kinda type is this?" and test the waters and hope this one isn't some weird rear end dual type who has a STAB move that my pokemon is weak to and get one shotted for my ignorance.

Yeah my kid is loving it and all these descriptions of one-shotting every story battle in the game seem exaggerated.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Leal posted:

400 is fine, end game battles don't have swap so that will stop being a problem.

If you have seen the pokemon before it will show you what moves it is weak to though so you really do not have to remember any of them.

I'd be happy with a dozen new pokemon and rotate another 400 each gen and be fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pixaal posted:

lol higher kill percentage than Thanos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Papercut posted:

Yeah my kid is loving it and all these descriptions of one-shotting every story battle in the game seem exaggerated.

If you have a type advantage then you’ll be doing a fair amount of one-shotting, I gotta say. The first real challenging gym for me was the Fairy one, but then it turns out the games pushed equivalent evolves into a Steel type and fairy is weak to Steel so that went from challenging to “steel wing, steel wing, steel wing” pretty quick.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

MiddleOne posted:

Thread is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 worth getting if you liked the first one? I remember hearing a few years ago that the sequel is a bit, uh, different in terms of tone and gameplay.

It's on sale is why I'm asking. Closing in on wrapping up BOTW and need something new that is big.

I think Xenoblade X (on wii-u) is the one vastly different in tone, though I haven't played it. I played the first game about 90% through before swapping to another game and never getting back to it. I enjoyed a lot of it and plan to buy the Switch definitive version next year. A friend of mine loved XBC2 and has 200+ hours in it. He sent me his copy and I've just started it. Music and world graphics are really great. The story is interesting so far. The characters are extremely anime in body proportions, outfit and actions, and have very odd accents (to my american ears) that are growing on me. If you liked "Reyn time" from the first game, this game has similar repetitive combat barks. I think there are less main party members and more secondary party members (blades) who link to the main ones and give bonuses and special attacks. Many of the blade characters are collected by gacha where collecting the rare ones (specially designed by various artists) is RNG from salvage diving or something. I'm not sure how much of my friend's 200+ hours was him playing the story and how much was him trying to catch them all. I know he never did get the one he wanted in the end. Working up your affinity with the blades to better their combat stats and get the extra scenes seems pretty obtuse if you don't use a guide. I also hear the standalone expansion is better than the main game, though I'm not sure how much sense it makes if you play only that. That said if you can stomach all that it looks like a great game that is definitely pretty big.

Dunkey has a comedy video here that shows off some of it and complains about excessive tutorials, the repeated lines and the character designs. Linking it due to heavy early game spoilers. It also has a brief clip of XBCX which is all I know about that game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How's the dark souls port? I feel kinda dumb paying $25 for it since I already own it on PC, but I've never actually played it and I feel like getting it on Switch is the only way I will.

tonberrykng posted:

I played through this recently. The input lag is fixed, and the Switch port looks less rear end-ey than it did at launch, but it still has a long way to go before being a half-decent port. The loading times are abysmal, and there are some areas where framerate dips to single-digits. The only reason I pushed through is, like you, the idea of a new portable Igavania was greatly appealing.

However, for anyone else who does not care so much for portability, I recommend just paying $1 for Xbox Game Pass on PC for a version of Bloodstained with 60 fps and no frame-drops and drastically better load times.

Port issues aside, was the core game worth it to you? I can deal with some technical issues if it's actually a good One of Those.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Thread is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 worth getting if you liked the first one? I remember hearing a few years ago that the sequel is a bit, uh, different in terms of tone and gameplay.

It's on sale is why I'm asking. Closing in on wrapping up BOTW and need something new that is big.

It's worth getting if you loved the first game and want more, but can deal with some much more obnoxious anime fanservice, a plot and dialogue that's really badly paced, some bafflingly frustrating mechanics that have no place in a single player game, and unengaging mechanics.

Basically if you have a lot of gaming time it's probably worth it. If you hate games that don't respect your time then pass. It's got some good moments, the combat's pretty good, and there are some beautiful environments. But overall I'd sum up its overall feel as "the first game, with its flaws exaggerated, a dull plot and a ton of padding". Get ready for a lot of unearned character moments and conversations that are each three times as long as they need to be.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Port issues aside, was the core game worth it to you? I can deal with some technical issues if it's actually a good One of Those.

It's definitely a good one of those. I played on PS4 though so I can't say one way or the other about the Switch port.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Terraria is $15 physical and I know I don't have the time for it AND it's really a digital game but but but!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

How's the dark souls port? I feel kinda dumb paying $25 for it since I already own it on PC, but I've never actually played it and I feel like getting it on Switch is the only way I will.

It's good. I'm not one to care about graphics or frame rate so I can't judge but it hasn't bothered me. Game is pretty brilliant.

If you play offline like me you won't experience wherever community there is but you can put it to sleep directly which is always amazing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
No Black Friday deals on Nintendo switch docks? Was hoping to get a second for another tv so I don’t need to move my dock around.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
Yeah, Switch port issues aside, Bloodstain's core gameplay loop is excellent.

I'm not sure if I would rank it as one of the best Metroidvanias ever since there is way more competition these days, but in terms of Symphony of the Night style exploring a labyrinthine Metroid-esque map chock full of not-Castlevania but clearly Castlevania inspired gothic horror monsters and a slew of collectible weapons and loot, Bloodstained may be the best execution of the formula yet. Throwing in a Dawn of Sorrow style souls system with shards is just icing on the cake.

If you ever liked any of the previous iterations of the formula, you owe it to yourself to find a way to play some version of Bloodstained. The technical issues on Switch diminishes the experience somewhat, but if you don't care about that stuff, then you can't really go wrong.

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 28, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wrong thread.

But while I'm here if you don't own Hyper light drifter you're a dope who's missing out.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Terraria is $15 physical and I know I don't have the time for it AND it's really a digital game but but but!

Terraria on consoles sounds tough without mouse precision for building and combat. Did they add some aiming assist?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BOTW is $30 on Amazon right now. Just rebought it since I’ll probably want to replay it next year before the sequel comes out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ragequit posted:

Terraria on consoles sounds tough without mouse precision for building and combat. Did they add some aiming assist?

It's probably fine seeing as it's been on apparently every system that's existed since the game came out

Microsoft Windows

PlayStation 3

Xbox 360

PlayStation Vita

iOS

Android

Windows Phone

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

macOS

Linux

Nintendo 3DS

Wii U

Nintendo Switch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evil Fluffy posted:

No Black Friday deals on Nintendo switch docks? Was hoping to get a second for another tv so I don’t need to move my dock around.

instead of packing their televisions with terrible smart software I won't use, I'd be much more likely to purchase if they included a free Switch dock.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Evil Fluffy posted:

my kingdom for a switch dock sale

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

instead of packing their televisions with terrible smart software I won't use, I'd be much more likely to purchase if they included a free Switch dock.

A TV you could just dock your switch into would be awesome.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Best Buy's Insignia dock seems well regarded, comes with a psu and HDMI cable and is down to $30. Better than some random one off Amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-dock-kit-with-hdmi-and-usb-for-nintendo-switch-black/6065700.p?skuId=6065700

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A TV you could just dock your switch into would be awesome.

Who was that goon that glued a game case to their 3ds? Glue your dock to the tv, idiot.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I thought this wasn't out on switch yet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's not.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MiddleOne posted:

It’s very good but for different reasons from the first game. They’ve patched in a lot of quality of life features that greatly improve the experience. The first game is definitely better but 2 is worth playing. Once you get the hang of the battle system you feel like a total badass for pulling off massive combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The first one is getting a remaster or whatever on Switch don’t forget that.