Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

You know, I've never actually tried to throw intruders out of a base that doesn't have finished walls yet, because, well, what would really be the point? It would make sense if that is the reason, though. That command usually dumps unconscious enemies in front of your outermost gate, and without finished walls to delineate the difference between inside the base and outside the base, the game might not even know where to put them.

It's super buggy. The game calculates your base in an area around the first building you put down. It's very possible to build something and have it belong to a nearby city or locale. So you that means you can't actually throw someone out of your base because the game might not see them as in it.

Luckily just importing the save recalculates this and fixes things. Throw intruder out is still temperamental though, and your character might just stand there picking up and dropping a body over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Those are actually two very different things. There's nothing buggy about the area the game decides actually belongs to you when you build on it, the game just doesn't communicate where that area is very well. You can look at the circle in the dev menu and you're guaranteed to own everything that you build within it. The problem is that "being in your territory" and "being inside your fortifications" interact unpredictable as a consequence of that. You will never have problems if you make sure to keep your walls completely within the area that you actually own.

I also do not think that importing does anything to fix ownership issues of that sort. It never did for me, anyway - the parts of the base that I didn't own just didn't even come along in the transition.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It does, in my last game I settled near a UC village and a lot of my walls got assigned to them. I imported my game and it reassigned ownership to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Weird. I wonder what was different with mine. I was a lot more off the beaten path and some walls just didn't have a owner at all. Maybe that could do it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm suddenly not sure if there was another step I had to take to get the game to reassign ownership of the offending walls, but I think I just had to reimport.

Does anyone have any experience with recruiting shrieking bandits through the prisoner recruit mod? I've got 2 I'd like but I can't do anything other than listen to them shrieking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I had a combination of both, where I built my first base in the LP was near the ghost village in cannibal territory. Yes I was close, and some walls were given to the ghost village. But for some reason other walls got assigned to the Flotsam outpost I was nowhere near. Importing both fixed that and the fact that some walls were straight up not physical and the AI were being cheating fucks and going through them :argh:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Btw everyone should install the latest version of the beta. The random ctd was fixed thanks to a modder.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
For real?

Might be able to play this again.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

A cannibal raid, holy nation assault and offscreen triangle bandit attack all arrive at my outpost at the exact same time.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

In my current game I built a bunch of settlements across the world in various places and my city in the Cannibal Plains by the north coast just up and vanished. I hadn't been there in a while--the marker for the settlement was still on the map but when I went back everything was gone. Is this a bug, or something due to a world state change? (In the interim, I completely wiped out the Holy Nation if it makes a difference). No reimports or anything else that might have messed with the world that I can think of.

Not that it's a huge deal since I have about 9 other cities sprinkled around the map, but it's a little annoying nonetheless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a known bug, I think. People in this thread have reported losing uninhabited bases to which they hadn't returned in too long more than once. I'm not sure what actually causes it, though. Sorry.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's something to do with the game state saving when the buildings haven't quite loaded in, I think. It also happens if you load and quicksave before the characters have loaded in, then load again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hop to it!

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Carcer posted:

A cannibal raid, holy nation assault and offscreen triangle bandit attack all arrive at my outpost at the exact same time.

holy poo poo your PC is good enough to have shadows on without melting?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...daaaaamn, I didn't even think of that. I recently upgraded to 32GB of RAM. I should be able to play this game on maximum of the everything now. No more OOM crashes.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

holy poo poo your PC is good enough to have shadows on without melting?

You know I hadn't stopped to think about it but yeah I think I've got all the prettiness settings on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/CSRb5Ia.mp4

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
You spin me right round baby, right round!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:vince:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im the one on the left dont give no fucks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Any cool new mods come out lately? I'm making some changes to my modlist, wondering if there is anything great that isn't among the most popular list.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

For added fun with walls, if you gently caress up placing them on rough terrain badly enough? It can be possible to walk under them, though the gaps are fairly clearly visible if you check for them rather than being weird clipping things.

Also I never lost a base to it just timing out but I did once lose a base to bandits. After they knocked over all of my guys they decided that they liked my base and moved in, manning the turrets, etc, they started living there. That does make me wonder if it would be possible to deliberately set up bandit fortresses outside of say, cities you did not like. Would they then raid out of them?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I started playing this game again and ran into a huge bug.

I sent most of my guys out to raid some ruins, leaving on my farmer, cook, hauler and 4 guys on turrets. When I came back:

1. The farmer, cook, and hauler hadn't done any work.
2. Even worse, when I reassigned jobs, anyone not assigned to crafting or turrets wouldn't do their jobs. I'm talking simple work orders like just mine copper or just mine ore.

When I left the base, everyone could do everything, even multiple tasks. I will say that I did have an occasional issue earlier when I was building stuff or crafting where some guys wouldn't do anything until I moved them or gave them a resource, but. Its a small sized crowded base in the fog islands, so I tried ctrlshift F11 and shift F12 fix. It said it fixed some stuff, but no one does anything. I tried resetting squad positions and importing but again had no luck.

Has anyone run into this issue? Has anyone gotten around it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BigRoman posted:

I started playing this game again and ran into a huge bug.

great desert settler spotted

sounds like a pathfinding bug of some sort, more specifically, it sounds like something is preventing them from accessing any dedicated material storage you have set up. If they work when you give them items, but they're not grabbing any new items, it's either that or their inventories are full. Try rebuilding or repositioning where you have, say, the materials storage or your food barrels, even if you have to put them somewhere central and easy to access from all sides for a while to see if you can suss out the problem.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also if you don't run this mod, get out of my face

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929384149

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No rain, sleet nor dust bandit raid...

Stays the course of the free trading Western Hive

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 12, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well I just learned that if you were to hit quickload, and overreact and hit quicksave right after as the game is loading, it will stop loading... and if you were to say, do it before your characters are loaded... Nuke saved.

Its especially fun when the autosave decides it doesn't want to do anything for 2 hours

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I started PC gaming in the early 2000's and developed a long-lasting paranoia of autosaves, quicksaves, and quickloads due to how glitchy and save-game nuking they were when they were first implemented. I'm glad my ingrained habit of always making multiple saves and manually saving/loading may have helped me with this game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, rolling saves are the way to go. I never use the same save slot twice if I can at all help it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I just picked this game up last night. Started a Wanderer game and at this point I have a party of four outfitted with Shinobi Thieves gear and a mix of weapons. Have a grip of food and about 10k in the bank.

Been mostly mining copper and running back and forth between The Hub and Squin. I'd like to find a vendor that sells good katanas at some point. Also would like to start working on combat stats.

Anyone have suggestions for what to do next?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Meridian posted:

Anyone have suggestions for what to do next?
Go get beat up by things that won't try to eat you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
any of the starving or dust bandit packs in that area are a good choice, or pop over to holy nation territory and pick fights with river raptors since they're so slow you can easily extract before anything untoward happens

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

get some dudes, pick a spot near some ore next to one of the towns, and get production going. Even just some very basic weapon smithing can start turning iron ore into plates into things that sell for 10-20 times the materials you put in.

Your new base will attract attention, which in your area is going to be Dust Bandits, Starving Bandits, and Holy Nation. Holy Nation will leave you alone as long as they only interact with your Greenlander Males, so hide everyone else in buildings or just far away from your gate. They come around every week for Prayer Day, and they'll give you a book which you can stash in a chest near the gate or just keep on one of your dudes.

Dust Bandits and Starving Bandits will attack your new base, but if you're close enough to another town you can just run to safety or stay and fight. Free combat training will come to you instead if you having to look for it. If you're really worried, keep all of your food in a building you buy in the closest town so nothing gets stolen. Maybe keep a nerd in that same building doing research so you always have someone available to medic everyone back onto their feet if they get their asses kicked too hard at your outpost.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm also starting this game and decided to just jump in without knowing too much and without following a beginner guide or anything for fun.

I got jailed within like 3 minutes of the start since I didn't realize I need to be sneaking to steal stuff in an empty room. I picked the lock to get out and also picked the unconscious Hungry Bandit Leader off her stake since I figured maybe she would be appreciative and join up with me. I carried her out of town and put her down and she took off running full speed and I never saw her again. Then I attacked a pack of goats since I thought I could just fight one and the entire group turned around and wailed on me and left me to bleed to death.

Pretty fun game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Babe Magnet posted:

Holy Nation will leave you alone as long as they only interact with your Greenlander Males, so hide everyone else in buildings or just far away from your gate. They come around every week for Prayer Day, and they'll give you a book which you can stash in a chest near the gate or just keep on one of your dudes.

They do inspection days where they search your base.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Then I attacked a pack of goats since I thought I could just fight one and the entire group turned around and wailed on me and left me to bleed to death.

Goats don't gently caress around

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm also starting this game and decided to just jump in without knowing too much and without following a beginner guide or anything for fun.

I got jailed within like 3 minutes of the start since I didn't realize I need to be sneaking to steal stuff in an empty room. I picked the lock to get out and also picked the unconscious Hungry Bandit Leader off her stake since I figured maybe she would be appreciative and join up with me. I carried her out of town and put her down and she took off running full speed and I never saw her again. Then I attacked a pack of goats since I thought I could just fight one and the entire group turned around and wailed on me and left me to bleed to death.

Pretty fun game

That is the first time Kenshi experience, you are doing it totally correct.

Goats are unexpectedly viscous bastards, and will sometimes wipe out hungry bandit groups.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've seen a baby goat the size of a puppy slowly beat a bandit to death.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Slowly getting to the point where I'm stable enough to justify having a guy going exploring, so I marched a guy off to my nearest hive village that I'd been avoiding since an unfortunate incident with a beaked thing. Luckily I was able to hide in a shop there, because the entire place turned into a thunder dome of eight beaked things, two gorillas and dozens of hivers :psyduck:.

Hivers killed them all without losses (definitely not going to mess with them) and I was able to strip the animals for oven ten thousand credits. Area is a lot safer now as well, so hopefully I can do the occasional trading run there without threat of being beaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Is there a way to mod the game to allow you to build in restricted areas? I've just started exploring the various ruins and some of them, like the science labs, seem like they'd be really cool to retrofit into a base.