Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

To be fair, retail logistics in Canada are noticeably worse than south of the border.

Also general retail logic. For example, when I went to Best Buy to buy a Surface, they had the lower-spec ones but not the higher-spec version I wanted. Right there, you've eliminated the possibility of being able to up-sell. It'd be easy to say, "well, we don't have that one in stock, but we do have a better one for only slightly more money!" That's much more likely to end in a sale than "you could buy the still-expensive, worse version than the thing you actually want."

Then they tried "we could order it for you."

Yeah, I can order it for me too. Your involvement is completely unnecessary and in fact counterproductive for me.

I'll give that to Apple Stores: they may offer a horrible, horrible retail experience, but they have every possible thing in stock in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, the red bags we put janky produce in to mark it down have all the stores in the corporate umbrella listed as being ~part of the donation program~, and that apparently includes Fry's Electronics

I might be wrong, this was a bit of a TIL when I saw it, but who knows

e: and yeah, they are absolutely circling the drain, I just suspect they might stop it up and refuse to go down fully for longer than say Best Buy or Microcenter

When you go to the Kroger corporate site and scroll down to their subsidiaries, you can see that it's Fry's Food Stores. The logo is similar, but it's not the same company.

If you're seeing a Fry's Electronics logo on some random bit of branding, odds are that a graphic designer in the corporate HQ was trying to turn out an image on a deadline, slammed "Frys logo" into google images, and Ctrl-C'd the first thing that came up and looked vaguely correct. This kind of thing happens all the time, because google results are a few seconds away and it can take hours to chase down the "official version" of some logo file (if that department even wants to let you have it, instead of playing silly power games).

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's gonna get real weird at any rate since they own the stores outright, but unlike Sears aren't selling them off and instead of keeping them open as some kind of elaborate commercial performance art.

poo poo, I wish I could work at a retail store with no product or customers kept open by bizarre corporate edict if only for a short term lark; at least their Black Friday this year is gonna be gently caress easy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man, the Fry's Thanksgiving Day ad is out and it's bad. It's real bad.

No computers at all
No monitors
No video cards
No Motherboards
No CPUS
One external hard drive
No networking stuff
A few TVs
No appliances
No video games or consoles

They are 100% dead

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FCKGW posted:

No computers at all
No monitors
No video cards
No Motherboards
No CPUS
One external hard drive
No networking stuff
A few TVs
No appliances

They are 100% dead

Why even put out an ad?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

How are u posted:

Why even put out an ad?

Contractual obligation with the printers.

Apparently they're still getting checks :haw:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

Contractual obligation with the printers.

Apparently they're still getting checks :haw:

loving lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Post some photos of it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i am harry posted:

Post some photos of it

This is the PC Components section. Build your own PC with a single no-name power supply, SATA cable, and soda can safe!

This is a Computers and accessories section. Just keyboards, mice and gaming glasses. loving Gaming Glasses.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FCKGW posted:

This is the PC Components section. Build your own PC with a single no-name power supply, SATA cable, and soda can safe!

This is a Computers and accessories section. Just keyboards, mice and gaming glasses. loving Gaming Glasses.

FREE beer??

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

FCKGW posted:

The joke is this is literally all the product they have in stock nationwide.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

No computers at all
No monitors
No video cards
No Motherboards
No CPUS
One external hard drive
No networking stuff
A few TVs
No appliances

They are 100% dead
Dude, you didn't even post the worst poo poo. I was browsing before bed last night and realized that I wasn't in some Amazon Warehouse page in a sleepy haze. Fry's was actually advertising poo poo like bungee tie-downs and storage totes as Black Friday deals!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Dude, you didn't even post the worst poo poo. I was browsing before bed last night and realized that I wasn't in some Amazon Warehouse page in a sleepy haze. Fry's was actually advertising poo poo like bungee tie-downs and storage totes as Black Friday deals!

They always have some weird oddball stuff in their Black Friday ad. The same paper CD sleeves are in there every year, it’s kinda charming. But when you run out of actual poo poo to sell and you ONLY have paper CD sleeves, it’s dire.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Retail should really be run bottom up, but since that involves listening to people who don't have business degrees it doesn't happen anymore.

The worst thing is, they teach them it should be that way. Like that's a thing I was explictly taught.

Unrelated, this is my father's 35th and last Thankgiving working retail. A reminder do not shop today, thanks.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Beachcomber posted:

At CVS we couldn't buy eye rinse, but we could buy this:

I would be genuinely happy if someone got me this for Christmas.

Now I want to do all my Christmas shopping at CVS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You do realize you can simply fill a glass with milk and dunk your Oreos that way? This a product designed to be thrown away after purchase.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lambert posted:

You do realize you can simply fill a glass with milk and dunk your Oreos that way? This a product designed to be thrown away after purchase.

Glasses are too tall.
Now a regular fork? That you already own.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

HootTheOwl posted:

Glasses are too tall.

Use a tumbler

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HootTheOwl posted:

Glasses are too tall.

Repeat these steps
1) Take an Oreo out of the packaging, grab it with your fingers to do this
2) Dunk it into the glass of milk using your fingers
3) Now lead the Oreo to your mouth using your fingers

You don't need to buy a special glass with an Oreo printed on it to do cookie dunking.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

I feel like the death of retail is at least part due to the fact stocking policies are, to my view, completely insane.

Over the past two weeks, I've had to order things online which I wanted to buy, and attempted to buy, in nearby stores. Not obscure niche products, either. Just normal poo poo. Couldn't manage it, had to order them online.

I mean, if (for example) Best Buy can't actually stock Microsoft Surfaces -- the grand, new thing that's being advertised all over the place at Microsoft's expense -- what right do they have to complain that their retail business is hosed? Had to order some jeans online too because no one stocks 32x32 jeans in an acceptable cut.

Let me throw something out there that's really similar, and really weird, to this that I've observed lately. You ever try to buy underwear at a Wal-Mart lately? The only brands that were stocked with any care at all were their own house brand. The rest (Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, etc) were literally just thrown around the shelves, not organized by type whatsoever (briefs with boxers with boxer briefs and no accurate price tags on anything) with no consistent sizes available for anything. I've been to like four Wal-Marts over the last few months in two states (I moved) and they were ALL this way. And this isn't exactly a store on a death watch or anything. What's up with that? Did MeUndies kill this side of their business?

EDIT

Lambert posted:

Repeat these steps

You don't need to buy a special glass with an Oreo printed on it to do cookie dunking.

This is accurate. Source: I am a fat and have dunked both single and double stuf Oreos plenty in my life.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

People in this thread have a huge problem with the Oreo Dunking Industry. Pretty hosed up that society has lead to this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I would be genuinely happy if someone got me this for Christmas.

Now I want to do all my Christmas shopping at CVS.

Id buy this for a recent divorcee as part of a bachelor starter kit

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I think the thing that's being overlooked is that the Oreo dunking kit costs 30 dollars

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lambert posted:

Repeat these steps

I'm not shoving my hand into milk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lambert posted:

OH WORD ?!?!?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm not shoving my hand into milk.

The trick is to only dunk the cookie up to your finger, that way, you dunked a cookie, but didn't get milk on your fingers!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Dump a bag of Oreos on the floor and eat the Oreos off the floor like an animal you piece of poo poo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Unoriginal Name posted:

Dump a bag of Oreos on the floor and eat the Oreos off the floor like an animal you piece of poo poo

:wow:

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Motronic posted:

I have one for that too. I was attempting to buy air filters for one of my cars from the local AutoZone. They had one. There is no car where one of this part number is a thing. They are always replaced in pairs. They checked the nearby stores. All were stocked with exactly one. So they ordered one to be dropped off from the nearest store. Their system even indicated that these were to be replaced as quantity 2. So no excuses about not having the data.

Same store, different vehicle. Every nearby store had only left front brake calipers, once again something most often replaced in pairs.

Both times the employees knew enough to be like "what the gently caress" but why listen to them about how the store should be stocked? What could they possibly know.

If brick and mortar retail is going to be this bad why wouldn't I just say gently caress it and buy cheaper and wait for shipping? It's like they've already given up.

Brake calipers get replaced in singles all the time. If a caliper fails I'm not replacing both sides of the other side is fine. Not sure why you would waste money like that.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Unoriginal Name posted:

make this the serving tips on all foods, tia

e: just toss that poo poo into a manger and shuffle it up like the pig you are

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Unoriginal Name posted:

David Hasselhoff's account spotted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oreos are trash cookies consumed exclusively by dumb people, of course a $30 mug and cloth napkin is going to be successful with that demographic

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

a hydrox fan, eh?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

celewign posted:

Brake calipers get replaced in singles all the time. If a caliper fails I'm not replacing both sides of the other side is fine. Not sure why you would waste money like that.

When you live in salt hellworld one side freezing badly enough that you can't reliably clean and lube that parts that matter means the other is soon to follow, but thanks for just deciding I'm a loving moron instead of asking.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PT6A posted:

Then they tried "we could order it for you."

Yeah, I can order it for me too. Your involvement is completely unnecessary and in fact counterproductive for me.

I 100% agree with your post but the reason for this is old people. I work in a different sector of retail (hardware/tools) and if we were to tell someone to "just go on our site and order it" it'd be like giving them a crazy unbeatable task. Whenever people call in to order something, we literally just open up the website and order it as if we were them. I've had people looking at the same page I'm on over the phone and yet I'm the one ordering because they are somehow incapable. Even funnier when they admit they're scared to put a CC# on the site but will gladly give it to me, a random person, over the phone

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

a hydrox fan, eh?

I feel like I should support hydrox because they invented that cookie type, but nothing dunks like an Oreo. I've sampled everything from Val-U-Sav brand to whatever whole foods calls theirs. They just don't suck up the milk right.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

QuarkJets posted:

Oreos are trash cookies consumed exclusively by dumb people, of course a $30 mug and cloth napkin is going to be successful with that demographic
I have to admit, I've eaten Oreos before and gone "this is that biscuit Americans go crazy over? It's like a cardboard Bourbon."

Fair play, you guys came up with chocolate chip cookies, but you've a long way to go when it comes to sandwich biscuits.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Paul.Power posted:

I have to admit, I've eaten Oreos before and gone "this is that biscuit Americans go crazy over? It's like a cardboard Bourbon."

Fair play, you guys came up with chocolate chip cookies, but you've a long way to go when it comes to sandwich biscuits.

Did you dip?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/business/amazon-baltimore.html

One of the worst impacts of Amazon in my opinion is the constant pressure to deliver things faster, which puts enormous pressure on warehouse workers. And then this forces other companies to try to do the same to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

actionjackson posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/business/amazon-baltimore.html

One of the worst impacts of Amazon in my opinion is the constant pressure to deliver things faster, which puts enormous pressure on warehouse workers. And then this forces other companies to try to do the same to keep up.

I've especially noticed this with ordering things cross-border from the States. We get so used to having things appear in a day or two that suddenly a 10-day wait might as well be the end of the loving world, but in fact being able to order pretty much any arbitrary thing from any corner of the world and have it show up by (cheap) post in a week or two, is still pretty great.