Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Madurai posted:

IIRC, nobody other than Qui-Gon ever talked about them. It's possible it was just his crackpot theory.

In Ep III, Palpatine tells Anakin about how his (Palpatine’s) mentor could use midichlorians “to create life.” It was heavily implied that’s how Anakin was born, but nothing officially was ever said about it again.

My pet theory (edit: spoilered even though it’s my personal conjecture) is that we find out Rey was made by Palpatine in this way. And Kylo was just gaslighting her in TLJ. This explains her weirdly great Force abilities, and loops the new trilogy back into the prequel trilogy. I would honestly be pretty happy with this plot line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hazo posted:

In Ep III, Palpatine tells Anakin about how his (Palpatine’s) mentor could use midichlorians “to create life.” It was heavily implied that’s how Anakin was born, but nothing officially was ever said about it again.

My pet theory (edit: spoilered even though it’s my personal conjecture) is that we find out Rey was made by Palpatine in this way. And Kylo was just gaslighting her in TLJ. This explains her weirdly great Force abilities, and loops the new trilogy back into the prequel trilogy. I would honestly be pretty happy with this plot line.

That would retroactively add even more pathos to her staying in exile scrapping by on a Hellworld "in case her family comes back."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There is a developing narrative about how Disney has used Baby Yoda to manipulate people into accepting their growing monopoly on creative IP, and I get that to an extent, but The Mandalorian is objectively great in a lot of ways and the most interesting thing to come out of the franchise in ages, and it bugs me that it's ultimately going to be reduced in the minds of a lot of people to "Baby Yoda." (Note, I would still die to protect Baby Yoda.)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

freebooter posted:

There is a developing narrative about how Disney has used Baby Yoda to manipulate people into accepting their growing monopoly on creative IP

I feel like this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Pretty sure that Baby Yoda and the scene with Statham in Furious 8 all share this as an ancestor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBe3c1-3WJM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

That wouldn't be "gaslighting" from Ben. Her parents would still be useless drunks who sold her off; the fact that the Force drove her conception wouldn't change that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well in theory if he looked into her parents he should have caught on to her Force conception given how extremely intune with the Force he is unless he just perused their Facebooks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Well in theory if he looked into her parents he should have caught on to her Force conception given how extremely intune with the Force he is unless he just perused their Facebooks.

I don't think getting conceived by the force would show up in a background check. To all outside observers, it's just a normal pregnancy. The only reason it was notable for Shmi was because she wasn't involved with anyone. If Rey's parents were a couple, unless they went out and got a paternity test, there'd be nothing to show her conception isn't from normal fertilization of an egg. And I doubt miserable drunks who sell their kid for booze money would spend the cash on genetic testing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

(Note, I would still die to protect Baby Yoda.)

The object is not to die for Baby Yoda but to make the other bastards die for him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

I think Kylo was telling Rey the truth as he thought he knew it. That's part of why he was reaching out to her. They were both rejected by parents who were unworthy of them in his mind.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

Pretty sure that Baby Yoda and the scene with Statham in Furious 8 all share this as an ancestor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBe3c1-3WJM

John Woo did this again but with headphones in Face/Off

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

jivjov posted:

I don't think getting conceived by the force would show up in a background check. To all outside observers, it's just a normal pregnancy. The only reason it was notable for Shmi was because she wasn't involved with anyone. If Rey's parents were a couple, unless they went out and got a paternity test, there'd be nothing to show her conception isn't from normal fertilization of an egg. And I doubt miserable drunks who sell their kid for booze money would spend the cash on genetic testing

If he did his research at the Social Security Offices, I'm not sure why but I thought it was implied he used the Force to see the truth or some poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If he did his research at the Social Security Offices, I'm not sure why but I thought it was implied he used the Force to see the truth or some poo poo.

The force doesn't seem to be super exact so he may have looked at her parents and seen what she couldn't remember or whatever. The reality of the situation and the feelings around it would have been standard unwanted baby.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

The Darth Vader comics (which are canon) explicitly shows this to be true.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Darth Vader comics (which are canon) explicitly shows this to be true.

It's true that Darth Vader sees this in a Force Vision, but this is the same Force Vision in which Padmé hurls herself off a balcony, starts to strangle herself, and then summons an evil lightning bolt to vaporize her in mid-fall – so we clearly can't take everything it shows us as simply, literally true.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jivjov posted:

That wouldn't be "gaslighting" from Ben. Her parents would still be useless drunks who sold her off; the fact that the Force drove her conception wouldn't change that.

Everyone posted:

I think Kylo was telling Rey the truth as he thought he knew it. That's part of why he was reaching out to her. They were both rejected by parents who were unworthy of them in his mind.

These are both great points. And it makes me hope even more that my pet theory turns out to be right. I could even retroactively enjoy TLJ more this way.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

These are both great points. And it makes me hope even more that my pet theory turns out to be right. I could even retroactively enjoy TLJ more this way.

I already kind of think of The Last Jedi as The Empire Strikes Back of the new trilogy. Much of what I've read indicates that The Last Skywalker will be a crappier retread of Return of the Jedi just like The Force Awakens was a crappier retread of A New Hope.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My personal pet theory wrt to Rey is She is attempt #2 at a chosen one--be it directly from Palpatine, or the will of the force itself, or Snoke, or whoever, but that's why she's so preternaturally powerful, that's why she connects with the last scion of the Skywalker family, etc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was kinda iffy on this show but its looking like this is basically going to be Star Wars version of Lone Wolf & Cub and ... okay that sounds great.

Random thoughts:

"use whistling birds sparingly, as they are rare" omg, really not trusting the audience. THEY'RE MADE OF BESKAR, right? Like no loving poo poo they're valuable, that should be obvious?

Carl Weathers as a scoundrel is pretty amazing.

Werner Herzog as a creepy Imperial is really weird but it actually totally works?

Pedro Pascal is great as always.

Was expecting the other Mandalorians to turn on Mando when he saved the baby Yoda so I was happy to see it didn't go down that way.

Also I want to see more of the not IG-88 droid from the earlier episode, love him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The other Mandolorians look down on the Mando for being a bounty hunter, but its clear these guys are i hiding for some reason, and accept that he has to do it. Mandolorians have a warrior culture, which is why their homeworld was a ash waste, thousands of years of steady conflict will do that. But like all other warrior cultures in fiction, they have a code, and its hinted at that Mandolorians look upon orphaned children as something to protect and bring into the fold. This is what I assume a foundling is.

I know in Legends, the Mandorlians that were involved in the War that Revan and Malak fought were a culture more than a race. They would induct members of any race into their ranks and that grew them into an nearly unstoppable army. Though the Mandorlians we see in Clone Wars and Rebels seem more a specific Human Culture than anything. Though maybe they do have a tradition of inducting human orphans into their ranks? Maybe they do this when their numbers are small. The way The Great Purge is talked about, its like the Empire destroyed Mandolore, which is possible, though not Alderaan level destroy, a bunch of ISDs in orbit would make short work of the domed cities they lived in. They probably bombed the poo poo out of them, then send in ground troops to kill anyone who was left and took all the besker they could at the same time. Probably didn't succeed but as a unified people, Mandorlians ceased to be that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

twistedmentat posted:

The other Mandolorians look down on the Mando for being a bounty hunter, but its clear these guys are i hiding for some reason, and accept that he has to do it. Mandolorians have a warrior culture, which is why their homeworld was a ash waste, thousands of years of steady conflict will do that. But like all other warrior cultures in fiction, they have a code, and its hinted at that Mandolorians look upon orphaned children as something to protect and bring into the fold. This is what I assume a foundling is.

I know in Legends, the Mandorlians that were involved in the War that Revan and Malak fought were a culture more than a race. They would induct members of any race into their ranks and that grew them into an nearly unstoppable army. Though the Mandorlians we see in Clone Wars and Rebels seem more a specific Human Culture than anything. Though maybe they do have a tradition of inducting human orphans into their ranks? Maybe they do this when their numbers are small. The way The Great Purge is talked about, its like the Empire destroyed Mandolore, which is possible, though not Alderaan level destroy, a bunch of ISDs in orbit would make short work of the domed cities they lived in. They probably bombed the poo poo out of them, then send in ground troops to kill anyone who was left and took all the besker they could at the same time. Probably didn't succeed but as a unified people, Mandorlians ceased to be that.

They are mostly human is my understanding. Or the most significant portion of them are human. The last of the original race died off, but by that time they were a cultural movement rather than species.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

The blacksmith might be Zabrak.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The blacksmith might be Zabrak.

I did notice the horns on the helmet but thought it might be a stylistic choice. You may be right!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

We'll likely never know because of the whole no removing helmets thing.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Blacksmith might even have been a Maul loyalist, their helmets had horns too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

twistedmentat posted:

The other Mandolorians look down on the Mando for being a bounty hunter,

I think they were upset more that he was working for The Empire, not being a bounty hunter. Being a bounty hunter has always appeared to be a common job for a Mandalorian in anything I've seen them in.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

remember when the UK couldn't get this till march and now the entire world is talking about it?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dad Mando is the best :swoon:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
why does the baby need to be in something resembling a Jedi robe

like couldn’t it be wearing a wookie onesie

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Because it's cute.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Baby yoda in a wookie onesei is too cute for our fragile human brains.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cry Havoc posted:

why does the baby need to be in something resembling a Jedi robe

like couldn’t it be wearing a wookie onesie

Like adult yoda, it allows him to void his bowels wherever he stands.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Desperado Bones posted:

Dad Mando is the best :swoon:

The Mandadlorian

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

:kimchi:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PureRok posted:

I think they were upset more that he was working for The Empire, not being a bounty hunter. Being a bounty hunter has always appeared to be a common job for a Mandalorian in anything I've seen them in.

Unless they've retconned it, the Fetts are just Mandoboos.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

The Mandadlorian

After a thousand generations we have finally found our thread title.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm talking about the games, too. The Old Republic is all about Mandalorians being bounty hunters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

twistedmentat posted:

Man I didn't know this. I thought they were Mandalorians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JBP posted:

Man I didn't know this. I thought they were Mandalorians.

It's kept ambiguous if Jango got kicked out/exiled or if he's 100% a pretender, but the Mando government circa the clone wars says he's just an imposter and doesn't represent Mandalore or Mandalore's interests.