Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Did ya'll get in your heavy barbell turkish getups today?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have to rub my infant son down with Aveeno baby eczema lotion and it turns out that really has done a number on my calluses even doing a lot of heavy gymnastic work so while YMMV I would personally recommend this product.

My wife has that coconut oil skin stuff to help with stretch marks and all that, it's worked wonders on my hands (and balls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

turd in my singlet posted:

10Pcs Professional Washable Thick Nail Files Emery Board 60/60 Grit Black Nail Art Care Sanding Buffer Buffing Manicure Pedicure Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2GDZZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LDt3Db3PDSM2M

hmm idk only 3 stars

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i’m a skin care autist and honestly gold bond is probably the best stuff

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
The palms of my hands literally do not sweat so it's hard for me to keep them moisturized short of putting lotion on and gloving up 24/7. I use a razor blade to shave/cut them off once a week to prevent them from getting uncomfortable or painful.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
My callus build-up actually gets worse and get painful when I moisturize often :shrug:
I just cut them off once a month now. I do need to get a pumice stone or nailfile though, to keep it a bit nicer looking.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. See of you can figure out what's the biggest stimulant for callus formation and perhaps change that a bit, like gripping the bar differently or doing some off your pulling with different handled etc. I am not saying you'll get rid of it completely (or want to), but you might be able to downgrade it to something that won't require it's own maintenance routine.

Dang phone

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 27, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe I’m not that strong, or I’m doing it wrong, but calluses have never been a problem for me. I have them, but they don’t get in the way nor do they rip.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Anti-Hero posted:

Maybe I’m not that strong, or I’m doing it wrong, but calluses have never been a problem for me. I have them, but they don’t get in the way nor do they rip.

I think a large part of it is the equipment you use too. When I was at uni, they had much better gnurling on the bars, more grippy but they would shred your hands vs my home gym bars which might as well be completely smooth all the way across.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I do think it has a lot more to do with form and grip, not necessarily strength. I do a huge amount of swings/snatches/clean+press and my hands are in much better shape now that my grip/form are more dialed in.

You may be able to lift a geo metro but if your grip strength sucks your hands wont be happy.

Is there a rule around being able to lift more if you are surrounded by ladies? Is that number quantifiable?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I haven't had any issues with calluses so far, just keeping an eye on them. I recently started training more in hook grip but I don't think that will have much of an impact on formation/prevention since I'll still be using the area in gripping.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm kinda here- they exist but they have never hosed me up. I'm just eyeing a future where I start pushing my deadlift over 500lbs and wondering when/if they're going to mess up

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hey guys I know this is a GBS thread and it's fast and loose poo poo posts in here, but if I could be serious for a minute:

I know there's a "funny" new "meme" going around about cats having salami. But seriously DO NOT under ANY circumstances let cats have a little salami.

Those are YOUR gains you're giving away. Those fuckers can find thier own macro sources. And you absolutely don't want those furry dicks getting swole, batting around atlas stones in the gym, sleeping in the squat rack, or flexing in front of the mirror while you're trying to use it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

itskage posted:

Hey guys I know this is a GBS thread and it's fast and loose poo poo posts in here, but if I could be serious for a minute:

I know there's a "funny" new "meme" going around about cats having salami. But seriously DO NOT under ANY circumstances let cats have a little salami.

Those are YOUR gains you're giving away. Those fuckers can find thier own macro sources. And you absolutely don't want those furry dicks getting swole, batting around atlas stones in the gym, sleeping in the squat rack, or flexing in front of the mirror while you're trying to use it.

You're too late

They have already got more gains than you

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

hmm idk only 3 stars

Not entirely sure how serious this post is but those are the ones I have. The review saying they're not really 60/60 but actually like 100/120 is correct but they work great for my hands. Also seconding whoever said Gold Bond for lotion, their "healing" one is the only lotion I've ever used that has a noticeable effect on my dryness.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Time to go do a bunch of squats and deadlifts so the 10,000 calories I'm about to eat go towards something.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

Time to go do a bunch of squats and deadlifts so the 10,000 calories I'm about to eat go towards something.

Gainsgiving bro, it only comes once a year so you gotta make use of it

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Blessed Turkey 🦃 Gains friends

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Quote is not edit ffs

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

In honor of my foodcoma-ridden neighbors to the south I benched 285x3

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

in retrospect doing absolutely nothing for a week and eating total garbage probably wasn't the best recovery plan

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So tonight was back night & at the gym there's this plate loaded row machine I start with, pretty much identical to this beast:

I've been working my way up & had just bumped up to starting with 145 per arm about a week ago...tonight I went in, had a brain fart & thought I had started with 160 per arm for some reason so threw on 170, only remembering that last week felt easy. Didn't hurt myself or anything but by the time I got to rep 7-8 on the first set I was like "drat I must be tired today" but kept pushing through. So I basically did sets of 10x7x4 with 170, 190 & 210 per arm instead of what I'd planned which would've been 150/170/190. Goes to show the mind is a weird thing, the sets were harder but goddamn that was a big jump for me, I usually don't jump that much week to week :lol:

Happy Swolesgiving y'all!

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i’m thankful my stupid toe healed up enough that i can squat again. only took 3 weeks.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

ham_sanitizer posted:

i’m thankful my stupid toe healed up enough that i can squat again. only took 3 weeks.

we told you not to listen to your doctor

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

UnfurledSails posted:

Just deadlifted more than twice my weight for the first time, for three reps. Then added 10 more pounds and did three more. Then a third set after adding 10 more. Honestly didn't know I had that in me.

Hey so it's been 6 months since I posted this and today I pulled 500 for the first time so turns out if you keep lifting you can get strong who knew

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 30, 2019

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BOOTY-ADE posted:

So tonight was back night & at the gym there's this plate loaded row machine I start with, pretty much identical to this beast:

I've been working my way up & had just bumped up to starting with 145 per arm about a week ago...tonight I went in, had a brain fart & thought I had started with 160 per arm for some reason so threw on 170, only remembering that last week felt easy. Didn't hurt myself or anything but by the time I got to rep 7-8 on the first set I was like "drat I must be tired today" but kept pushing through. So I basically did sets of 10x7x4 with 170, 190 & 210 per arm instead of what I'd planned which would've been 150/170/190. Goes to show the mind is a weird thing, the sets were harder but goddamn that was a big jump for me, I usually don't jump that much week to week :lol:

Happy Swolesgiving y'all!

Hammer Strength machines loving rule and I miss my campus gym that had like every single one.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Thinking about starting questing for that 500 dl now. Hurt myself once before trying that, which sucked. I have extremely long legs, maybe that is the reason.

My main issue seems to be that I don't engage my rear end. In fact, I think I do not have an rear end at all.

How does one, dear goons, best engage and train the rear end? Especially in DL?

edit: and rear end post

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

You're too late

They have already got more gains than you

I actually wanted to post that cat with my joke but couldn't find it. rip

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

caps on caps on caps posted:

Thinking about starting questing for that 500 dl now. Hurt myself once before trying that, which sucked. I have extremely long legs, maybe that is the reason.

My main issue seems to be that I don't engage my rear end. In fact, I think I do not have an rear end at all.

Do you do rdls? They help build butts. Really want to focus on keeping the back steady so all the load goes through the butt and hamstrings.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In order to build rear end, you have to first eat rear end

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Prying Goblet Squats and Glute Bridges before you DL

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chief McHeath posted:

Hammer Strength machines loving rule and I miss my campus gym that had like every single one.

My gym has a ton of them, the nice thing is a lot are relatively new since they did a remodel about a year ago & replaced all the old, broken stuff (along with getting all new dumbbells, 5lb all the way up to 125lb & new 45lb olympic bars :woop:)

Definitely worth the $36/month I pay since it's 24/7 access plus has a lap pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi. They replaced the big cable rack machines too (for pull-downs, row & such), when I saw it after the remodel I felt like a little kid at Christmas

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 30, 2019

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Visiting prague, ate a knee in the hopes of improving my squat.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 30, 2019

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I'm about to move to an apartment that's a five minute walk from a gym I'm a member of. Super hype.

and technically that's cardio

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

pulling sumo hurts my knees though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also it is impossible for me to do either RDLs or good mornings without hearing Mike Israetel saying "Feel that deeeeep and painful hamstring stretch" every time

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

https://startingstrength.com/article/diagnosing_silly_bullshit

quote:

Fitness Buzzwords: A Primer

”Activation” and “Firing” of specific muscles, most commonly the Gluteus maximus, Spinal erectors, or Latissimus dorsi, which people believe can have “amnesia,” become “sleepy,” or otherwise “not fire” during basic movements. This then necessitates specialized “activation work” done regularly to “remind” them how to perform their anatomical function, and to ensure that you consciously contract each muscle in the “proper sequence” during complex movements.

Of course, there’s no evidence supporting that any of this “not firing” actually occurs in the absence of neurological injury (e.g. nerve transection or other neuropathy, stroke, or spinal cord injury), muscle infarction, rare myopathies and metabolic disorders, or general anesthesia (i.e., pharmacologic paralysis).

(As for “activation work”: there is some mixed evidence behind the idea of “post-activation potentiation” as it relates to subsequent muscular performance, but not as a “corrective” exercise. These movements can also be used as part of a warmup or to cue a desired effect. However, in the setting of effective coaching these are typically unnecessary and waste valuable training time, especially when recommended on a regular basis.)

» Bottom line: These are bullshit diagnoses, so watch out for people throwing these words around. If you are able to stand up from a chair or walk up a flight of stairs without lurching or falling, your glutes are “activating”, and any failure to properly utilize them in a squat likely represents a failure of your coach, not of your neuromuscular system.

If you want to get better at deadlift find some good deadlift programming and do it. If you want to get a bigger butt do bodybuilding exercises for your butt. (Feel free to use bodybuilding exercises in your deadlift programming if it suits your purposes). Don't worry about whether your glutes are "firing".

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The only thing my glutes fire is diarrhea

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

MikeCrotch posted:

pulling sumo hurts my knees though

Cant your feet out more. Puts less lateral stress on the knees.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

MikeCrotch posted:

Also it is impossible for me to do either RDLs or good mornings without hearing Mike Israetel saying "Feel that deeeeep and painful hamstring stretch" every time

VERY good jared

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

turd in my singlet posted:

https://startingstrength.com/article/diagnosing_silly_bullshit

If you want to get better at deadlift find some good deadlift programming and do it. If you want to get a bigger butt do bodybuilding exercises for your butt. (Feel free to use bodybuilding exercises in your deadlift programming if it suits your purposes). Don't worry about whether your glutes are "firing".

Chief McHeath posted:

The only thing my glutes fire is diarrhea

I know there's a username/post combo but do we do one for a username/reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

ElectricSheep posted:

I know there's a username/post combo but do we do one for a username/reply

cha cha cha