Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Nah. ACORN.

A.C.O.R.N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

twistedmentat posted:

Attention Citizens of Los Angeles, remember to report any illegal activity to your local ACORN center. This month bonus points for reporting a family member. For every 5 bibles you bring in, you get a free gift!

You get a free eco-friendly tote bag for every five bibles! Use them to carry your governement-approved tofu rations!

You could even have the 'hero' suffocate a vicious gang member with one, and spout off with a line like, 'I just reduced your carbon footprint'.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sad part is we just put more (and better) effort into our parody than went into the real thing.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

twistedmentat posted:

Attention Citizens of Los Angeles, remember to report any illegal activity to your local ACORN center. This month bonus points for reporting a family member. For every 5 bibles you bring in, you get a free gift!

This seems like a way to increase hotel revenue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

J.A.B.C. posted:

You get a free eco-friendly tote bag for every five bibles! Use them to carry your governement-approved tofu rations!

You could even have the 'hero' suffocate a vicious gang member with one, and spout off with a line like, 'I just reduced your carbon footprint'.

Don't forget free Reefer, that gives a non white the strength of 10 men!

That will totally be a scene, Wyatt fights a black man who smokes a giant blunt and goes full on Hulk.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

twistedmentat posted:

Don't forget free Reefer, that gives a non white the strength of 10 men!

That will totally be a scene, Wyatt fights a black man who smokes a giant blunt and goes full on Hulk.

Be sure to include a bit about Wyatt wondering about his dick size that goes on for way too long.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Be sure to include a bit about Wyatt wondering about his dick size that goes on for way too long.

galtse.cx but it's goatse.cx but it's eggpla.nt

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Republicans now have their own SNL type show

Republican SNL is as bad as you would think

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeTheInternetTV/status/1199334995912990721
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeTheInternetTV/status/1195114687496540161
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeTheInternetTV/status/1197598372212936704

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The people who failed cloning the Daily Show, now failing to clone collegehumor.com!

These people are pathetic.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I literally didnt even crack a smile. These are all so bad.

Right-wingers really do suck rear end at comedy.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Zipperelli. posted:

i got really sad during hashtag fartgate because i read a few rightwinger's tweets about it and they were obviously just using it to try and humiliate Swalwell and not laughing along at how someone farted on air. it was very obviously political. it's like how can you ruin a gigantic on air fart?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Humor" like "men are the most denigrated people on Earth" and "Santa in therapy". It's so loving stupid and entirely playing victim.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

More proof for the pile that there's something inherent within the conservative mindset that makes it impossible for them to be intentionally funny or at all clever. It's just a collection of them attempting to poke fun at issues they just don't seem to really understand or that are only important to you if you've been force fed a bunch of straw man false narratives about what liberals say or think.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Love how the third one is literally just Lowered Expectations for Incels and the second one is being flooded with replies basically saying “wow, I’d use the poo poo out of this to get away with saying all the awful things I want to say but can’t because I’m embarrassed about being an rear end in a top hat in public.”

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ErIog posted:

You're making the assumption that conservatives view the unemployment rate the same way you do in terms of legitimacy. You and I both understand employment is calculated by career statisticians at BLS, and doesn't have quite as many opportunities for politicians to gently caress with the actual numbers. They'll cherry pick the best/worst U-whatever for their argument, but overall the methodology is pretty sound. To a certain extent you believe in it.

That's not how conservatives view the unemployment numbers. When unemployment is low during a conservative administration they'll quote it all the time. When it's low during a Democratic administration they immediately move the goalposts to, "well yeah, but look at all these people not working... we can't trust the government to give us the figures because government employment is counted as employment and isn't it a conflict of interest..." Unemployment figures are not a real thing for conservatives. They're just another thing to be weaponized politically.

I think Shapiro's plot here is insane, but I think it's insane for a different reason than it not being logically consistent. I think it is logically consistent if your brain has been poisoned enough by right wing ideology. In right wing ideology government jobs aren't considered real jobs. They consider that welfare and a net negative. So the idea here is the Obama stand-in is juicing the unemployment numbers by putting more people on government jobs, but the predicate of "and these aren't real jobs, this is welfare, and this is cheating!" is left implicit. This is what I mean when I say they traffic a lot in, "X seems good, but..." They really want to be the doofus saying, "Turns out, the milkshake duck is racist..." with regard to policy. So in this case it's like, "Low unemployment and jobs guarantee seems good, but :smug: they're government jobs so it doesn't count for unemployment and it's basically evil welfare..."

Conservatives traffic in these kinds of memes a lot, and if you're not familiar with what they really mean it can seem inconsistent. There is, unfortunately, a terrible consistency to conservative thinking that is even more horrifying once you get past the surface level, "hm? Doesn't make sense to me..." stuff.

you may be right about this, but considering that conservatives are never subtle about things, i'd figured ben would have spelled out not-obama's evil plan a bit more.

btw, can i also just point out how legitimately TERRIBLE of a writer benny is? i mean, completely ignoring the rightiwing jizz fantasy aspect of it. i'm just talking about the WAY he writes. he constantly repeats adjectives when describing something, in many cases, within the same paragraph. like, it's just functionally bad english writing. didn't this turd go to UCLA AND harvard?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ugh. i had the misfortune of watching one of these 'comedy skits' in one of youtube's dumb advertisements. the skit was entitled something like 'i'm not a fan of trump says, but...". it's pretty much what it sounds like. it involves several scenes with one or more libs complaining about trump, and one heroic 'anti-trump' character that CLEARLY doesn't like trump (because hey, they SAY they're "not a fan of trump"!), but is forced to defend him because the libs are just being SO unfair to him! here's a example (paraphrasing, but the gist is pretty much the same):

*at a water cooler in an office, two libs and a 'non-trump fan'*

lib #1: man, i can't wait until that trump is out of office. then maybe people will start getting jobs again.
lib #2: drat right!
non-trump fan: UM, i'm not a fan of trump, but....actually the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in the past 50 years, and black unemployment is at record lows. :smug:

cause you know, that's what people who don't really like trump do with all their time. constantly defend him in the most favorable ways imagineable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

ugh. i had the misfortune of watching one of these 'comedy skits' in one of youtube's dumb advertisements. the skit was entitled something like 'i'm not a fan of trump says, but...". it's pretty much what it sounds like. it involves several scenes with one or more libs complaining about trump, and one heroic 'anti-trump' character that CLEARLY doesn't like trump (because hey, they SAY they're "not a fan of trump"!), but is forced to defend him because the libs are just being SO unfair to him! here's a example (paraphrasing, but the gist is pretty much the same):

*at a water cooler in an office, two libs and a 'non-trump fan'*

lib #1: man, i can't wait until that trump is out of office. then maybe people will start getting jobs again.
non-trump fan: UM, i'm not a fan of trump, but....actually the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in the past 50 years, and black unemployment is at record lows. :smug:

cause you know, that's what people who don't really like trump do with all their time. constantly defend him in the most favorable ways imagineable.

That’s what all three of those videos in the tweets are like; pretending to be some kind of centrist “both sides suck” thing at the start before leaning in and loudly whispering “but liberals suck more, vote Trump.”

Also they were all dogshit unfunny.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mr Interweb posted:

lol i haven’t heard a single friend or coworker say something like this. i know harping on the whole, ‘these people live in a bubble’ thing is tired at this point but christ it’s incredible just how obvious it is to everyone who isn’t them how disconnected they are. everyone is tired of him because he’s a dipshit who just can’t shut the gently caress up for five god drat minutes.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

ib #1: man, i can't wait until that trump is out of office. then maybe people will start getting jobs again.

Liberal #1: Man, I can't wait until Trump is out of office, then maybe we can get to the bottom of how extensive those child concentration camps are and maybe start looking into prosecuting those responsible and reuniting the families whose lives were torn apart.

Liberal #2: I know, right? Or further address his obvious abuses of power, and maybe try to un-gently caress all the agencies he's destroyed and then regain our standing in the world as something other than an impossible to trust laughing stock.

Non-Trump Fan: Look, I'm no fan of Trump, but he has gotten the trains running on time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zipperelli. posted:

If Steven Crowder had managed to break his own neck it would have been the height of comedy

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Republicans now have their own SNL type show

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeTheInternetTV/status/1195114687496540161

To be fair, I laughed super hard at a moment in this one. Because (in the context given) the idea of a black person uttering "Police are needed in high-crime areas" is just that absurd.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tek79 posted:

More proof for the pile that there's something inherent within the conservative mindset that makes it impossible for them to be intentionally funny or at all clever. It's just a collection of them attempting to poke fun at issues they just don't seem to really understand or that are only important to you if you've been force fed a bunch of straw man false narratives about what liberals say or think.

Most conservatives I know are likely to find slapstick, racial stereotypes and body humor jokes particularly runny. They don't seem to "get" satire or dry humor very much. Make of that what you will I guess.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol i haven’t heard a single friend or coworker say something like this. i know harping on the whole, ‘these people live in a bubble’ thing is tired at this point but christ it’s incredible just how obvious it is to everyone who isn’t them how disconnected they are. everyone is tired of him because he’s a dipshit who just can’t shut the gently caress up for five god drat minutes.

I hear his defenders cite the unemployment rate and the stock market all of the time.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 28, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yes Minister was the best conservative comedy that has ever been made or ever will be made. If you get an iota more sneery or self congratulatory it stops working as well.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BiggerBoat posted:

Most conservatives I know are likely to find slapstick, racial stereotypes and body humor jokes particularly runny. They don't seem to "get" satire or dry humor very much. Make of that what you will I guess.

Ehh. I know plently of commies that love fart jokes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BiggerBoat posted:

I hear his defenders cite the unemployment rate and the stock market all of the time.

yup. few weeks ago me and some coworkers were out for a happy hour and we started griping about all the usual bullshit the trump admin had been up to. coworker who stayed silent the whole time eventually piped up, ‘love the stock market tho’

like yeah i’m sure he was super happy about that all through the obama years.

poo poo is entirely post-facto justification

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It feels like a bunch of lame justifications that they don't even believe themselves. They like him because he's an rear end in a top hat that ownz the libz. They have to make up some excuses or other for people that aren't impressed by that, except they can't make good ones because he's an aggressively incompetent moron that spends his whole day golfing and watching TV, so instead we're supposed to impressed by perfunctory efforts like rubber-stamping judicial nominations picked by someone else, and for not aggressively tanking the economy.

I'm still betting next year that there will be some "deal" that just amounts to rolling back his own stupid tariffs, which will give the market a nice bump, and all his defenders will demand that he gets credit for his amazing dealy deal that really just amounts to the 2016 status quo minus the incessant self-dick-punching that the same people spent years defending.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 28, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neo_Crimson posted:

He'd use the size and weight of it to put the attacker off balance, and as Jamal is thrown out a window he screams "you got me Honky!"

Those Republican SNL skits, god drat they don't even bother to understand how comedy works. Its impossible because comedy requires self reflection and being aware of the world to make observations. Cons as so deep in the coal mine of their echo chamber that they are stuck making the same hoary old jokes about Trigger Warnings and poo poo. When leftist comedians make fun of conservatives, its because they know what cons are doing because they're shouting it from the roof tops. They can make jokes about how Trump is literally using Side Show Bobs defense of "Attempted Murder? Do they give Noble Prizes for Attempted Chemistry???". There's also the stuff how they cannot punch up or even themselves or sideways, which are the only kinds of comedy that work. They can only punch down which just comes off as mean.

I wish I could dig up the article, but some Conservative journalist was very upset to discover that it seems that "owning the libs" is more important than anything else to most other conservatives these days. He talked about how during the recent election here in Canada he would go to meetings for the Conservative Party and note people's number one reason was to piss off liberals, who they assume everyone outside of Alberta is. Economics and Healthcare, all that stuff took a back seat to making sure pipelines went though some hippies flowerbed in BC or something else childish.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I listened to an NPR interview today with the owners of Fusion GPS that came off as sourced, reasonable and factual but my biggest takeaway from it was thinking that anyone who really needs to listen to it will never hear it and the terrible realization that for maybe 40% of the country just the name "Fusion GPS" = "Deep State boogeyman" and how many people think this is real. I mean, you can just lump in "Fusion GPS" with "Soros" and, at this stage of the game, 1/3 of the country will connect the dots FOR you and assume it as abject truth.

I mean, who am I going to believe? Sean Hannity or the guys actively involved in this poo poo explaining the work they did?

Here it is. Worth a listen from where I stand anyway

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/26/782908119/fusion-gps-founders-on-russian-efforts-to-sow-discord-they-have-succeeded

Yeah that interview is good - they've been doing the media rounds to promote their book, and they're not shy to point out the only reason they're able to talk about so much of what they did and what they found is because the Republicans spent two years disseminating everything, otherwise they probably couldn't have written the book.

One thing I didn't know is that it was a Republican staffer that leaked the loving Steele dossier - I didn't know we knew who leaked it, and it being a Republican is just gravy (a McCain staffer sent it to BuzzFeed or whoever put it online).

My one gripe is that, despite hearing a half dozen or so interviews, not a single person has asked them about the pisstape.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

twistedmentat posted:

I wish I could dig up the article, but some Conservative journalist was very upset to discover that it seems that "owning the libs" is more important than anything else to most other conservatives these days. He talked about how during the recent election here in Canada he would go to meetings for the Conservative Party and note people's number one reason was to piss off liberals, who they assume everyone outside of Alberta is. Economics and Healthcare, all that stuff took a back seat to making sure pipelines went though some hippies flowerbed in BC or something else childish.

I wish you could, too, because that sounds like an interesting read. Do you remember who wrote it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah that interview is good - they've been doing the media rounds to promote their book, and they're not shy to point out the only reason they're able to talk about so much of what they did and what they found is because the Republicans spent two years disseminating everything, otherwise they probably couldn't have written the book.

One thing I didn't know is that it was a Republican staffer that leaked the loving Steele dossier - I didn't know we knew who leaked it, and it being a Republican is just gravy (a McCain staffer sent it to BuzzFeed or whoever put it online).

My one gripe is that, despite hearing a half dozen or so interviews, not a single person has asked them about the pisstape.

^^^They alluded to it in the interview^^^

And pointed out that Trump has several different lies about the date(s) in question

They're also one of the few people going on air and flatly stating "the President/Guilliani/GOP congressmen are straight up willfully loving lying about this and flat out making poo poo up". Surprised the NPR host didn't do a "well, some other sources are saying that these people aren't lying so there's just no way to really know" sort of poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I did notice during the impeachment investigation coverage NPR was pretty solid about dropping the both sides poo poo. Straight up, "Well the president lied about that back a few months, so what do you think Bob?"

Little loving late to the game there, but better late than never I guess?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

bird food bathtub posted:

I did notice during the impeachment investigation coverage NPR was pretty solid about dropping the both sides poo poo. Straight up, "Well the president lied about that back a few months, so what do you think Bob?"

End of the day they're firmly the 'slightly more right-wing than the Democrats centrists' that used to be the Republican base.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

bird food bathtub posted:

There's a show called Political Breakfast that infuriates me every time I hear it advertised.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leofish posted:

I wish you could, too, because that sounds like an interesting read. Do you remember who wrote it?

No, and I cannot even remember if it was in the Toronto Star, National Post or Globe and Mail.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Buried alive posted:

To be fair, I laughed super hard at a moment in this one. Because (in the context given) the idea of a black person uttering "Police are needed in high-crime areas" is just that absurd.

Have you ever noticed that they do this exact thing on Fox news? They literally will have black people come on to talk poo poo about black people. They had dave rubin come on to talk poo poo about gay people. Its how they can make their boomers that are watching this poo poo not feel so bad about having these horrible views.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
“Millennial gets triggered by a microaggression because you problematically assumed their gender pronouns” is pretty mainstream comedy nowadays, unfortunately.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dr Christmas posted:

“Millennial gets triggered by a microaggression because you problematically assumed their gender pronouns” is pretty mainstream comedy nowadays, unfortunately.

That and "I identify as [inanimate object]."

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm still not sure what is even supposed to be the slightest bit funny about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

twistedmentat posted:

He'd use the size and weight of it to put the attacker off balance, and as Jamal is thrown out a window he screams "you got me Honky!"

Those Republican SNL skits, god drat they don't even bother to understand how comedy works. Its impossible because comedy requires self reflection and being aware of the world to make observations. Cons as so deep in the coal mine of their echo chamber that they are stuck making the same hoary old jokes about Trigger Warnings and poo poo. When leftist comedians make fun of conservatives, its because they know what cons are doing because they're shouting it from the roof tops. They can make jokes about how Trump is literally using Side Show Bobs defense of "Attempted Murder? Do they give Noble Prizes for Attempted Chemistry???". There's also the stuff how they cannot punch up or even themselves or sideways, which are the only kinds of comedy that work. They can only punch down which just comes off as mean.

Maybe we should all engage in collective reverse psychology, "as I a liberal I'd really hate to see Bernie Sanders elected, the rich taxed into extinction and to see medicare for all and the Green New Deal passed. that would really trigger my lefty libtard brain and make me mad"