Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

"They say the world is messed up but also that they are going to die from it, so how does that make sense???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thinking back to my Afrikaans, it also sounds similar to the word for six, and the word for sister.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Madkal posted:

Thinking back to my Afrikaans, it also sounds similar to the word for six, and the word for sister.

"Sis", or more properly "Sies" is very much a South African slang for "gross" or something unpleasant. "Ses" or "sussie" are a little broader, especially with a homegrown accent.

Sunswipe posted:

Obvious joke in 3... 2... 1...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

"My children will die young and it serves them right!"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

MizPiz posted:

Honestly, I think trying to claim Elagabalus is trans does way more harm to the trans community than it helps. They were basically patient zero for all the worst stereotypes of queer people.

To be fair, the more outlandish claims about them seem obviously made up to slander (The 'oh, he loved to doll himself up so as to prostitute himself' stuff) but alot of it could also be because he was only ever a teenager.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Respond to everyone who says "I'm not cis don't call me cis" with "congrats on coming out as trans!" and hope the aneurysm kills them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hope is great, but we need to be the change we want to see in the world.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hope is great, but we need to be the change we want to see in the world.

look I got my dick yeeted what more do you want

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MizPiz posted:

Honestly, I think trying to claim Elagabalus is trans does way more harm to the trans community than it helps. They were basically patient zero for all the worst stereotypes of queer people.

This is parallel to my distaste for the last wave of this kind of research, namely the "such and such figure was actually gay" psychoanalytic history.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

CommonShore posted:

This is parallel to my distaste for the last wave of this kind of research, namely the "such and such figure was actually gay" psychoanalytic history.

The Enola Gay was gay. It was a gay airplane. It's right there in the name: it says Gay. The airplane was gay. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

https://twitter.com/frimairist/status/1200046771625451520

:discourse:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

To be fair, the more outlandish claims about them seem obviously made up to slander (The 'oh, he loved to doll himself up so as to prostitute himself' stuff) but alot of it could also be because he was only ever a teenager.

The most recent book I read on the subject basically said Elagabalus was what happens when you make a poorly-socialized teenage failson the Emperor of Rome and nobody can say no to what they want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CommonShore posted:

Abraham Lincoln? Gay. Martin Luther? Gay. Plato? Gay as hell. Alexander the Great? Trans.

Niankhkhnum and Khnumhotep? Straight as an arrow, baby.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can die happy knowing there is at least one attested example of “khkh”

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Climate change debunked.

https://twitter.com/TruthJavelin/status/1200117697851379712?s=20

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

How so? It used to be that the sea ice were too thick for ship breakers to be of use at all. Nowsadays, the sea ice across the polar area are much smaller and thinner that the ship breakers are more efficient.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Luckyellow posted:

How so? It used to be that the sea ice were too thick for ship breakers to be of use at all. Nowsadays, the sea ice across the polar area are much smaller and thinner that the ship breakers are more efficient.

Because they wouldn't commission more ice breakers if there wasn't going to be a lot of ice around to break in the future obviously.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eschenique posted:

The cis lesbian did cancel the second date in the last minute without elaborating and then cut contact with the trans girl. So I don't think she gave her honest opinion in the newspaper interview.

How about in this Tweet?

https://twitter.com/aigroe/status/1199431598929784838

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here's the approach: the transperson reveals their trans status if and when they feel safe doing so. It's their business, not their partner's.

SURPRISE! I'm really a _______! And that's the most acceptable way?

Two people have met because they are looking for a partner and you feel it's AOK for one person to just keep that sort of information under wraps until they feel.... safe? Dropping that sort of bomb on the second date seems like something that would make you UNSAFE.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s unfortunate but I do have to agree. “Let people say it when they want to!” is a nice sentiment and relevant when deciding to come out to your family, but people have been actively endangered by getting intimate with someone before springing it on them. Being open about it before you ever meet in person means the kind of person who flips out and beats you after finding out that you have a penis never gets that close to you in the first place.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:chloe:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Smackdillion posted:

SURPRISE! I'm really a _______! And that's the most acceptable way?

Two people have met because they are looking for a partner and you feel it's AOK for one person to just keep that sort of information under wraps until they feel.... safe? Dropping that sort of bomb on the second date seems like something that would make you UNSAFE.

This is an area where I trust a trans person to have a better sense of what is safest personally.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Oh good. This derail is going to end well.

We get murdered for disclosing upfront or on the second date.
But yes, let's hear what the cis have to say all about our experiences.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Yeah cis people you get 0 loving input on this

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
How dare you dismiss my cishet white guy opinion, is that even legal???

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Clerical Terrors posted:

The Enola Gay was gay. It was a gay airplane. It's right there in the name: it says Gay. The airplane was gay. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

https://twitter.com/frimairist/status/1200046771625451520

:discourse:

Their backtracking did not disappoint

https://mobile.twitter.com/BootlegGirl/status/1200164002615242760

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Nov 28, 2019

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
I just asked a question. What about that situation makes you think a surprise is the correct way to handle it?

Help me understand.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

You think these people don't want trans folk to be murdered?

They're just not saying it loudly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Smackdillion posted:

I just asked a question. What about that situation makes you think a surprise is the correct way to handle it?

Help me understand.

Framing my response here - I'm cis and male. But I try to listen to what people have to say about their experiences, and you're about to hear a whole bunch, so don't take it as an attack when it comes. Listen to what these other posters have to say.

But the short version is that when your identity can result in someone else killing you, it's 100% pragmatic to get a sense of what someone else is about and to decide if you trust that person before you reveal that aspect of your identity.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

We'll disclose when we feel safe to do so. Cis have a track record of murdering us so we're gonna err on the safe side as best we can.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Proposal: trans people start making decisions for cis people

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Proposal: trans people start making decisions for cis people

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The cis get to decide our healthcare, we should get to decide theirs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carados posted:

You think these people don't want trans folk to be murdered?

They're just not saying it loudly.

Oh gently caress off.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh gently caress off.

That poster aint wrong.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
For what it's worth, I knew a transwoman for quite some time, and it took a good while and trust before she told me, and that's entirely fine. She'd lost friends over it, so she was understandably concerned about saying so at first, and that's fine. Given the way people treat trans folk, it's kind of necessary. I can't speak from a trans perspective, but I didn't feel surprised or anything because it came out once we were already close, but not yet intimate. I'm sorry if this is an uneducated take.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CommonShore posted:

Framing my response here - I'm cis and male. But I try to listen to what people have to say about their experiences, and you're about to hear a whole bunch, so don't take it as an attack when it comes. Listen to what these other posters have to say.

But the short version is that when your identity can result in someone else killing you, it's 100% pragmatic to get a sense of what someone else is about and to decide if you trust that person before you reveal that aspect of your identity.

Fellow cis man, and I agree with most of this. I’d also point out that there are a lot of things you don’t reveal on a first date. Would I be expected to tell my partner I’m on anti-anxiety medicine or what my credit score is or... I don’t know, any one of a hundred different pieces of biographical information that fall under the heading of “personal?” Why is the status of one’s genitalia different? I mean, I can see good reasons not to reveal it too quickly, but I can’t think of a compelling reason why you have to tell your partner right away.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh gently caress off.

I don’t think they’re necessarily saying “the cis posters in this thread want to murder trans people” if that’s what you read that as

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t think they’re necessarily saying “the cis posters in this thread want to murder trans people” if that’s what you read that as

That is clearly exactly what they're saying.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

chitoryu12 posted:

That is clearly exactly what they're saying.

I think they're referring to the TERFs bitching about the dating thing, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agrinja posted:

For what it's worth, I knew a transwoman for quite some time, and it took a good while and trust before she told me, and that's entirely fine. She'd lost friends over it, so she was understandably concerned about saying so at first, and that's fine. Given the way people treat trans folk, it's kind of necessary. I can't speak from a trans perspective, but I didn't feel surprised or anything because it came out once we were already close, but not yet intimate. I'm sorry if this is an uneducated take.

This is respectful and good.

Chitoryu thinking he can lecture us on when we should be disclosing our identity - especially when that information is often used as the grounds to rape and murder us, and then as a defense in court afterwards - is hosed and unacceptable.

I get to disclose when I feel safe. No one else decides that for me. It's enough of a loving minefield as it is without cis people saying they have a right to know. Bullshit, you had a nice date.