Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smackdillion posted:

I just asked a question. What about that situation makes you think a surprise is the correct way to handle it?

Help me understand.

It's still a world where if a perceived homosexual man is too overly friendly a bunch of straight guys will beat the living poo poo out of him for "flirting" and 45% of society thinks there is nothing wrong with that.

"Asking questions" when it comes to the safety and security of LGBTQ+ people is a bad faith argument because hetero normative people have overall not had the same level of threats and safety when it comes to romance and relationships.

This isn't disclosing you have kids or an ex, its a fundamental issue that people have been killed over and face chronic abuse in their life as a result of it, sometimes a lifetime of physical and emotional abuse. Is there anything in your life you could disclose to put you at that kind of risk?

Simplifying it down to a "surprise" sounds like you think trans people are actively trying to trick people into being with them.

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s unfortunate but I do have to agree. “Let people say it when they want to!” is a nice sentiment and relevant when deciding to come out to your family, but people have been actively endangered by getting intimate with someone before springing it on them. Being open about it before you ever meet in person means the kind of person who flips out and beats you after finding out that you have a penis never gets that close to you in the first place.

"Oh nbd just disclose your gender identity whenever someone asks. If needed, carry your gender reassignment papers in your wallet or purse so any concerned citizen can insist to see them"

Also, which "people" are the ones being actively endangered exactly?

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you are an understanding and accepting person who doesn’t see people who aren’t cis-gendered heteronormative as aberrations needing to be stomped out, it can be difficult to see how someone who is lgbtx might not be so trusting. Like, imagine everyone in the world as individuals looking out one window each at a trans person. You might be smiling warmly but you can’t see how half the people in other windows are scowling or shouting slurs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let me know your gender when I'm on my death bed after 40 years of blissful marriage.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Maybe the third date can be a gender reveal party.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Well, we burned down an old growth forest, but at least I know what your gender conforms to what you were assigned at birth, so... evens out, I 'spose?"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Smackdillion posted:

SURPRISE! I'm really a _______! And that's the most acceptable way?

Fill in the blank, please. What are trans women REALLY?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Bowsnonk/status/1200190373772947456?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin Trots man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Besesoth posted:

Chocoholic

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You're a gender bigot if you don't suck the dick that you didn't expect to be there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The Trans Dating Experience, ime, is (and i can't speak for trans guys):
  • chasers asking if you still have a dick,
  • cis het couples looking for a third "to experiment"
  • cis men calling you a human being and threatening violence when you disclose straight away that you're trans,
  • cis men calling you a human being and threatening violence when you disclose at a later time,
  • and (the smallest group) people that are mostly okay but still have awkward questions.
But please do tell us how we should handle our own safety.

Besesoth posted:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

Fellow cis man, and I agree with most of this. I’d also point out that there are a lot of things you don’t reveal on a first date. Would I be expected to tell my partner I’m on anti-anxiety medicine or what my credit score is or... I don’t know, any one of a hundred different pieces of biographical information that fall under the heading of “personal?” Why is the status of one’s genitalia different? I mean, I can see good reasons not to reveal it too quickly, but I can’t think of a compelling reason why you have to tell your partner right away.

Yeah, straight cis dude here, I'm with someone who recently told me about some very serious stuff that happened to them quite early in their life- it's something that would very, very seriously gently caress them up emotionally if they revealed it and I didn't handle it well. It was draining for them to explain it and difficult for me to hear about it. The trust needed to be there, and it needed to be solid, because talking about difficult stuff hurts and if you can't be sure the other person can handle it it's safer and easier to not talk about it at all. And in this case the only risk was me not handling the new information well. Trans folks straight up get murdered if they come out to the wrong person.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're a gender bigot if you don't suck the dick that you didn't expect to be there.

This gross comment kind of underscores another point- this isn't about genitalia. Genitalia have wild variations between humans, irrespective of gender or sex. Expecting to know what's in your partner's pants after date 1 is creepy, and demanding to know is invasive, no matter what genders or sexes the folks involved are. Do you think that people are gonna get to the point of actively loving without talking about it first? If so, why is that something you think happens?

Besesoth posted:

Yeah this gon be fun

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah, I feel like if transpeople are waiting to disclose, they're only going to disclose if they feel like you aren't going to overreact, and if they do think you are, then they're likely to just not continue going on dates with you so you don't have to worry about whether their identity matches with your image of them if you're a bigot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I feel like I've had a rite of passage: I witnessed my first "OK, Boomer" meltdown that I caused. I guess this is the right place for it?

A friend of a friend on social media interrupted his Thanksgiving this afternoon to inform me that Trump's extortion of a foreign country was nothing new; "all presidents have done it" (this was an ongoing discussion that he had pretty much been losing). I answered him "OK, Boomer" in addition to pointing out how misinformed he was.

My friend chimed in hours later thundering about how "insulting" I had been to a family friend and giving me a chance to apologize for my grave insult of "OK, Boomer". I just responded with a laughing emoji and "OK, Boomer" and was dropped from her friends list like a hot potato.

It was bizarre and hilarious how angry she got - not because I said that her friend was either "lying or misinformed", but because I said "OK, Boomer". It's a dead giveaway that the people most deserving of that phrase are the ones who are so triggered by it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of emoji in this comic

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

legalize killing cis people for being inferior imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I feel like I've had a rite of passage: I witnessed my first "OK, Boomer" meltdown that I caused. I guess this is the right place for it?

A friend of a friend on social media interrupted his Thanksgiving this afternoon to inform me that Trump's extortion of a foreign country was nothing new; "all presidents have done it" (this was an ongoing discussion that he had pretty much been losing). I answered him "OK, Boomer" in addition to pointing out how misinformed he was.

My friend chimed in hours later thundering about how "insulting" I had been to a family friend and giving me a chance to apologize for my grave insult of "OK, Boomer". I just responded with a laughing emoji and "OK, Boomer" and was dropped from her friends list like a hot potato.

It was bizarre and hilarious how angry she got - not because I said that her friend was either "lying or misinformed", but because I said "OK, Boomer". It's a dead giveaway that the people most deserving of that phrase are the ones who are so triggered by it.

It's unreal to me how insulted they get by OK boomer, it's so drat mild

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eschenique posted:

Someone should make a bastardized twitter app where you read with one account and then post with another. So many people I follow I can never respond to because they're quick blockers (like pope hat)

You can do this on the official twitter app

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

It's unreal to me how insulted they get by OK boomer, it's so drat mild

I've never seen anything like it. I thought about asking her what was so offensive or pointing out that respect is earned and not given, but I figured the reaction alone proved my point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Nov 29, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is less a reaction to relationships and more the window pane fell on my dick and locked.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t think they’re necessarily saying “the cis posters in this thread want to murder trans people” if that’s what you read that as

I'm not certain it was intended, but its definitely the most straightforward reading of the post.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I'm not certain it was intended, but its definitely the most straightforward reading of the post.

The revealing thing is people's reaction to being told that they had misread the post.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ok boomer is just short hand in their mind for "shut the gently caress up you old know nothing gently caress" and that's like.... Disrespectful.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

For a generation that bangs on about "You have to EARN respect" they sure do expect to have it loving handed to them.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
So it's the cis persons fault for their reaction (if it's negative) when you inform them that despite all outward appearances, you aren't what you appear to be. And that deception from the jump, in your view, is the most appropriate way forward.

Got it. Totally reasonable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Smackdillion posted:

So it's the cis persons fault for their reaction (if it's negative) when you inform them that despite all outward appearances, you aren't what you appear to be. And that deception from the jump, in your view, is the most appropriate way forward.

Oh suck my girl-dick you willfully stupid gently caress.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Take that low effort concern trolling garbage back to reddit or whatever other cesspit you crawled out of.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Smackdillion posted:

To be clear, the trans-panic defense in post form is my entry, this isn't an endorsement

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

What is it we don't appear to be, huh fucker?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Smackdillion posted:

Dude, just take the L. It's not about "deception." I imagine most trans people would be happy to say "I'm trans and proud of it" if they knew it was safe (though I'm sure a trans woman would prefer to simply be thought of as a woman). "Despite all outward appearances, you aren't what you appear to be?" That's only true if you think a trans woman* only "appears to be" a woman. Would you consider it "deception" if a woman you dated didn't tell you she only dyes her hair and isn't a real blond? Now imagine there were news stories about women getting murdered because a man saw they had dark roots, and try and think about whether a woman would volunteer that information willingly.

Your language of "deception," whether you mean it or not, is bigot code. It's the same as talking about Jews being greedy or black people being violent. You are using terminology whose primary function is to excuse violence against a vulnerable group of people.

Anyway, enjoy your probabtion!

*Who are the subset of trans people most vulnerable, but this applies to trans men as well.

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Nov 29, 2019

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Besides the ugly transphobia, the idea that a trans person has to out themselves on first contact betrays that you only care to date someone if you're eventually getting sex. It's only "deception" because you can't simply enjoy someone's company because you like them as a person, to you it's work spent towards getting laid.

But it's definitely the transphobia. You never ask anyone another deeply personal question about their body on the first date. Why would this be any different?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jurgan, it's trans women and trans men, not a combined term. Trans women are women who happen to be trans, not this other category that's like a woman. I don't think you're doing it intentionally, but that language is demeaning and undermines your point in turn.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Smackdillion posted:

Source your quotes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Smackdillion posted:

Me at you huffing your own farts

https://twitter.com/OrenosukinaGIF/status/1200099083630850053?s=19

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Smackdillion posted:

Won't someone think of the bigots :qq:

Today I'm thankful for posters that out themselves as poo poo so they can be discarded.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Smackdillion posted:

Ahh that 2001 reg date.🙈 I'm sorry sir, but you are from a different time on SA. Transphobia is dead here now, but we're all so very gay.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arivia posted:

Jurgan, it's trans women and trans men, not a combined term. Trans women are women who happen to be trans, not this other category that's like a woman. I don't think you're doing it intentionally, but that language is demeaning and undermines your point in turn.

Okay, I’ll fix that. It’s confusing to me because it started as a prefix and now it’s a separate word, but I’ll go edit.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Smackdillion posted:

Impressive. That's about the fastest I've seen someone go from "help me understand" to "woo, I'm an rear end in a top hat". Good job! That wasn't the message sent by anyone here. It also isn't the obligation of anyone here to educate your dumbass if they don't feel like engaging. Use loving Google--you have the entire goddamn internet. Folks trying to "help others understand" are too often met by this sort of disingenuous horseshit.

fisting by many posted:

...the idea that a trans person has to out themselves on first contact betrays that you only care to date someone if you're eventually getting sex. It's only "deception" because you can't simply enjoy someone's company because you like them as a person, to you it's work spent towards getting laid.

Also that. Shallow as gently caress.

Edit:

MageMage posted:

Ahh that 2001 reg date.🙈 I'm sorry sir, but you are from a different time on SA. Transphobia is dead here now, but we're all so very gay.

Not all 2001s...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hi, it looks like you're attempting to be my [ acquaintance | friend | significant other ] (circle one)! Lest you startle my soft brain with new information, please tell me everything about you before you have any idea of how I may react!