Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

sellouts posted:

Fair enough if your travel isn’t mission critical or SNA is 30+ minutes closer for you I guess.

I don’t know how much further LAX is for you but I struggle to find it taking even an extra 30 min on either side to deal with offsite parking + shuttle but maybe your connections really line up or something?

I’d love to see the math on it though. The boarding / deplaning twice adds enough time as it is.

LAX is about 40 miles away, then trying to park as somewhere like the parking spot next to that in-n-out at sepulveda and taking the shuttle to terminal 7 can be a drag.

SNA is about 20 miles away, then I can park at the airport and walk right into terminal b. Security lines are shorter too.

Overall I'm sure I'm losing time but the QOL and lower stress is worth it for me. I'm sure in the future if my travel becomes mission critical that I'll have to rethink my flying, but since my west->east flying these days allocate all of monday for travel out there if I get bumped a flight or get delayed it's not going to ruin my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

keevo posted:

VPN China update: I went with ExpressVPN but it was super spotty. Kept disconnecting every 15-40 minutes. I have no idea if it was the Chinese government kicking me off, the hotel internet just being poo poo, or if it's a normal thing with VPNs.

That tracks. You’re likely correct on all three counts as far as Chinese VPNs go. It’s about as good as you’re going to get if you need to dial out unfortunately.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I've got a USB C/USB A charger with a bunch of ports: https://amzn.to/34tBkG0 ; it's not going to run a 15" MBP in direct sunlight, but it charges while closed well enough.
I have something similar. This replaced the separate MacBook power adapter, and a smaller Anker 4 port USB-A charger, so I just have to carry the 1 charger now. Keeps up with a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad pro, watch, and iPhone all at the same time.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

TheWevel posted:

How do you herberts charge your iPhones and Apple watches in a hotel? Am I at the point where I need to get a travel power strip?

I was hoping there would be a combination watch/phone charger but none of them seem to be travel sized.

I pack one of these:
https://imgur.com/a/3q8CVNF

Long enough cord that my cpap will actually be close enough to where I’m sleeping and enough USB ports to charge everything I take with me - phone, headphones, power bank, and tablet.

It’s the rare occasion where I don’t need to unpack it. Too many rooms have just a single outlet available nearish the bed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Good luck to anyone flying tomorrow: https://www.airportstrikealert.org/november-26/

quote:

Protests will take place at the following airports:

Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Chicago-O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
Denver International Airport (DIA)
Detroit Wayne International Airport (DTW)
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
Houston Bush International Airport (IAH)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Minneapolis International Airport (MSP)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK, New York)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA-TAC)
Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA)

I've heard that MIA might be a mess in the late afternoon.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Good luck to anyone flying tomorrow: https://www.airportstrikealert.org/november-26/

I've heard that MIA might be a mess in the late afternoon.

Miami is always a mess. Its like flying in South America but lol thats a hell of a list.

RIP anyone flying tomorrow

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s not close to Brazil at its worst but it’s easily worse than most small/medium airports there lol

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The choice between flying into LAX vs BUR is always tough for me. There's a direct to LAX but it means I burn at least 2 hours round trip coming/going. BUR is about $200 more expensive but I burn 2 hours in layovers.

I've landed on - if it's my dime, BUR if it's company's LAX.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there an easy way to search for SWA flights?
I'm needing to get 2000 points either this or next weekend. Ideally, I'd find a flight that just ticks off the miles I need to get my 2020 companion pass, with out having to pay much more. And bonus points for it being somewhere I can have a cool over night.

Thoughts?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

deong posted:

Is there an easy way to search for SWA flights?
I'm needing to get 2000 points either this or next weekend. Ideally, I'd find a flight that just ticks off the miles I need to get my 2020 companion pass, with out having to pay much more. And bonus points for it being somewhere I can have a cool over night.

Thoughts?

Best bet I know of would be to use their Low Fare Calendar to search for flights between your home airport and something reasonably nearby for the month of December. And just flip between destination airports until you find somewhere you want to go for about ~$200 each way ($400 round trip as a Wanna Get Away should net you just over 2k points). You can get 2k points for only about $200 as an Anytime fare, but good luck finding a round trip Anytime for only $100 each way - I don't think those exist.

edit: so in short, no there isn't a great way to do it.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 26, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What’s your home airport and lol about this weekend

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

sellouts posted:

What’s your home airport and lol about this weekend

Whoops yeah nevermind. Missed the this or next weekend thing. Any roundtrip should do then!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm out of DIA.
I managed to get all but 6 points! Which might be more frustrating ha. I have the SWA credit card, so I bought something dumb today and paid it off.. hoping that pushes me over the edge.

edit: SWA is pretty rad. They split my reservation into 2 with no charge. Put the gf on my flight out under companion status. We booked a flight for her return and when my statement goes through to get the 6 points I can call and get those refunded with her as the companion on the flight.
gently caress yea. Im going to puerto rico for xmas/nye!

deong fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 26, 2019

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ugh so close. Probably the first time since I've ever thought about taking a flight just to get status. Dunno if any customers will want me to say hi to them before the end of the year.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

kimcicle posted:

Ugh so close. Probably the first time since I've ever thought about taking a flight just to get status. Dunno if any customers will want me to say hi to them before the end of the year.

I feel your pain..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how do you get a half segment

in other news the race to qualify for DM on segments continues. 137 down with four confirmed flights booked and likely a total of eight more before the end of the year. :suicide:

i hit on MQM months ago so it doesn't really matter for actual status purposes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Assuming a segment is a takeoff and a landing, either die or DB Cooper your rear end off the plane before you land.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in other news the race to qualify for DM on segments continues. 137 down with four confirmed flights booked and likely a total of eight more before the end of the year. :suicide:

i hit on MQM months ago so it doesn't really matter for actual status purposes

Apparently basic economy on American will do this. I flew with them a bunch earlier this year and didn't realize I was only getting half the segments I should. Well, at least I think it was a basic economy thing? I'd be surprised if our travel portal would even let us book BE, but who the gently caress knows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

aadvantage is a hosed up hell world at this point

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm probably going to barely hit enough miles for gold, but I'm going to be $900 short. :bang:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I missed my connection due to delay in my first flight and was stuck at IAH overnight. My rebooked flight for the following morning was booked Y so it netted me 1.5 PQS.

edit: Looks like I'm flying the week of the 9th. That's what I get for tempting fate. But hey gold status. :unsmith:

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 27, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Unless I get a surprise last-minute cross-country trip I'm gonna be just shy of Gold as well. Honestly I don't really mind because as far as I can tell my current project driving up to Erie every other week is going to extend at least into the summer of next year so having the easy rollover status will help once I actually get airborne again.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Can't get enough of the Thai chicken soup that delta has in their lounges.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Would any of you folks be interested in going Dutch on a Youtube Premimum family plan? I'd don't really care about the ads, but being able to download videos for plane watching would be really nice. Paying ~$3.75 a month sounds a lot better than $12.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Apparently basic economy on American will do this. I flew with them a bunch earlier this year and didn't realize I was only getting half the segments I should. Well, at least I think it was a basic economy thing? I'd be surprised if our travel portal would even let us book BE, but who the gently caress knows.

It's this. Basic economy gives half segments and reduced EQMs. I spent like Q1 and Q2 booking basic economy cause I didnt think there was a difference but I totally hosed myself on EQMs and Segments before I realized. I'm barely going to qualify gold before years end cause of their half EQMs and Segments bullshit.

I'm really unhappy with AAs rewards program but I live literally on Miracle Mile 10mins from MIA and it's the American hub. I've also got that credit card for the 60k points no spend deal from October.

Apart from choosing delta and connecting through ATL for everything I dont know what else I could possibly fly. I also feel like there isnt a huge quality difference between AA, United and Delta but I only fly united into EWR for a specific client and I only fly Delta into ATL for one of my dev teams so idk.

I never fly JetBlue, spirit or southwest so I cant comment on them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I'm really unhappy with AAs rewards program but I live literally on Miracle Mile 10mins from MIA and it's the American hub. I've also got that credit card for the 60k points no spend deal from October.

Apart from choosing delta and connecting through ATL for everything I dont know what else I could possibly fly. I also feel like there isnt a huge quality difference between AA, United and Delta but I only fly united into EWR for a specific client and I only fly Delta into ATL for one of my dev teams so idk.
I’m on the other side of US-1 from you and I mostly fly Delta. They do seem to have more predictable performance even if they make you Do Every Leg Through Atlanta. I did fly AA to CLT last week though and it was mostly fine I guess. I don’t feel like I fly enough to get status on multiple airlines, so I might try AA more in 2020.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Would any of you folks be interested in going Dutch on a Youtube Premimum family plan? I'd don't really care about the ads, but being able to download videos for plane watching would be really nice. Paying ~$3.75 a month sounds a lot better than $12.

There are a number of browser plugins that will download YouTube videos for free if that’s what you want.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Midjack posted:

There are a number of browser plugins that will download YouTube videos for free if that’s what you want.

youtube-dl is amazing and open source, works on pretty much any other video website too

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’m on the other side of US-1 from you and I mostly fly Delta. They do seem to have more predictable performance even if they make you Do Every Leg Through Atlanta. I did fly AA to CLT last week though and it was mostly fine I guess. I don’t feel like I fly enough to get status on multiple airlines, so I might try AA more in 2020.

Do you fly out of MIA most of the time though or out of FTL? I'm also a little concerned about adding another point of failure to itinerary (a connection and new plane) but I guess like MIA/FTL to ATL is probably pretty consistent as you say.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

Very true, but I’m looking specifically at mobile on iOS. There are some shortcut solutions out there, but security policies hate fun. They don’t mind giving us all local admin and VMs, but some mobile automation is a bridge too far.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Do you fly out of MIA most of the time though or out of FTL? I'm also a little concerned about adding another point of failure to itinerary (a connection and new plane) but I guess like MIA/FTL to ATL is probably pretty consistent as you say.

I’ve only flown out of FLL when it was necessary to get on the DTW trans-pacific flights. If I’m not paying, they’re paying for MIA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i think that my odds of getting to Logan today are not high

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is there anything interesting to eat/drink in the Melbourne CBD? It looks like I have a free day.

I am going to the basquiat/harring and kaws exhibits at the NGV which I’m v. happy about.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Is there anything interesting to eat/drink in the Melbourne CBD? It looks like I have a free day.

I am going to the basquiat/harring and kaws exhibits at the NGV which I’m v. happy about.

Backwater's pretty good, probably my favorite breakfast place there, went twice (for breakfast and lunch) on Wednesday last week.

If you have a free day though, go to the space center imo, it's only an hour drive from Melbourne, Florida.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Bar Americano is a great old school cocktail bar in Melbourne. Great old fashioned, Aviation, negroni, etc.

Eau de vie is a much trendier but also awesome speakeasy style place. Expect to wait a bit but the line moved fast for us

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

sellouts posted:

State of Grace is three bars in one building. A speakeasy in the basement that serves "period" cocktails, a modernish cocktail bar on the first floor and a beer bar on the roof. Now that I think about it, "State of Grace" may be the name of the speakeasy, but it will help you find the other two.

Trunk Diner is open early on the weekends (when almost nothing else is in the CBD) and serves good pancakes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks y’all!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How long does it take for miles on a partner airline to show up on your main airline account? Just did a couple of flights with Cathay Pacific over the last two weeks and they haven't shown up on my AA account yet.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

keevo posted:

How long does it take for miles on a partner airline to show up on your main airline account? Just did a couple of flights with Cathay Pacific over the last two weeks and they haven't shown up on my AA account yet.

When I fly Asiana they show up pretty much the next day in my United account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

keevo posted:

Qatar posted the next day to my AA account.