Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like you need to be on Amazon's site not the app. Once I got home and got on my PC I could do the instant GC and discount. Funny though; this morning the ship date on an Oasis was tomorrow, then in the afternoon it became December 3rd, now it's December 13th. Good thing I have until December 19th to ship my Voyage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Amazon's Oasis cases are complete poo poo that negate the point of the bulge to begin with, especially since I hold my poo poo in my left hand.

I got a third party silicone case that lets the bulge bulge, but there's no screen cover so I worry about throwing it in my bag.

Kinda miss my Voyage at this point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Amazon's Oasis cases are complete poo poo that negate the point of the bulge to begin with, especially since I hold my poo poo in my left hand.

I got a third party silicone case that lets the bulge bulge, but there's no screen cover so I worry about throwing it in my bag.

Kinda miss my Voyage at this point.

I bought this one and it’s damned good, once they got the magnets right for the current version.

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I can’t imagine going back to the Paperwhite or the Voyage now. I rotate hands frequently and use the buttons all the time.

Edited for correct 10th generation/Newest Oasis link.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 29, 2019

Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

I bought this one and it’s damned good, once they got the magnets right for the current version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FD3TKDC/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can’t imagine going back to the Paperwhite or the Voyage now. I rotate hands frequently and use the buttons all the time.

Thanks, ordered that. Will let you know what I think later. It's incredible how quick people here pick up on better than official poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thanks, ordered that. Will let you know what I think later. It's incredible how quick people here pick up on better than official poo poo.

Crap, I just realized I used my old link with my order which used the 9th Gen of Oasis. If you have the new Oasis, you want this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Cancel that order if you can. The old one fits fine, but it will not put it to sleep (again, assuming you have the newest Oasis like I do).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm upgrading from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kindle Oasis (I gotta have those buttons). I've saved a backup of my Keyboard; can I just copy/paste that folder onto my Oasis? Or is it going to gently caress something up...?

Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Crap, I just realized I used my old link with my order which used the 9th Gen of Oasis. If you have the new Oasis, you want this:

Cancel that order if you can. The old one fits fine, but it will not put it to sleep (again, assuming you have the newest Oasis like I do).

I have a previous gen, came and fits fine and works in all respects. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I have a previous gen, came and fits fine and works in all respects. Thanks!

Glad to hear. Sorry about the mixup but the right link should be in the original post for anyone else who wants one.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Have to say I'm kind of annoyed. I've read that tons of people politely ask Amazon to remove the ads on Kindles and Amazon usually does it for free without much fuss, so I started a chat and explained that I had paid to remove them from my Voyage and if I could get them off my Oasis, since I traded in the Voyage. Not sure what my exact wording was but the guy didn't mention anything about a charge and said the ads should be removed, which they were. Going through my emails later I see that Amazon did charge me for the ad removal. I'm not terribly upset about the $20 because I probably would have paid it if they said no, but it's pretty lovely that he charged me without my explicit say so. In retrospect I guess I should have clearly said "for free" (not sure I did or didn't) because I was expecting him to explain how to go and pay to do it, but he never did; he just asked for the serial number and then the ads were removed.

Lessen learned, I guess, to just pony up the :10bux::10bux: from the start.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone compared a Kobo Libra to Kindle Oasis? Is the Oasis worth the extra cost? I've got a Kobo right now and want to switch up to having the form factor and buttons of those two and while I wouldn't be looking forward to converting books from epub to mobi if the Oasis is significantly better from a hardware standpoint (display, light, and page turn time are basically all I care about) then I'll pay the extra.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nessin posted:

Has anyone compared a Kobo Libra to Kindle Oasis? Is the Oasis worth the extra cost? I've got a Kobo right now and want to switch up to having the form factor and buttons of those two and while I wouldn't be looking forward to converting books from epub to mobi if the Oasis is significantly better from a hardware standpoint (display, light, and page turn time are basically all I care about) then I'll pay the extra.

The Oasis will win out on its uniform lighting, something both the Forma and Libra (to a much lesser extent) have issues with.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Humerus posted:

Have to say I'm kind of annoyed. I've read that tons of people politely ask Amazon to remove the ads on Kindles and Amazon usually does it for free without much fuss, so I started a chat and explained that I had paid to remove them from my Voyage and if I could get them off my Oasis, since I traded in the Voyage. Not sure what my exact wording was but the guy didn't mention anything about a charge and said the ads should be removed, which they were. Going through my emails later I see that Amazon did charge me for the ad removal. I'm not terribly upset about the $20 because I probably would have paid it if they said no, but it's pretty lovely that he charged me without my explicit say so. In retrospect I guess I should have clearly said "for free" (not sure I did or didn't) because I was expecting him to explain how to go and pay to do it, but he never did; he just asked for the serial number and then the ads were removed.

Lessen learned, I guess, to just pony up the :10bux::10bux: from the start.

If you start another chat and say you weren't informed of the charge and are outraged, they might refund the coin.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I picked up the previous version of the Kindle Oasis when they were clearing them out for $150. The product was for the 3G wireless version, but I'm not seeing any option for it. Not really complaining, but am I missing something? I live overseas for what it's worth, and it's my Amazon billing address. I don't know why they'd ship me one without it though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a way to stop the Kindle from indexing? Battery just dies after maybe 6 hours off a full charge, no wifi, screen brightness midway.

I have a fuckton of books on it, but this indexing bullshit is killing any reading joy I have cause 60% of the time when I pick it up to read it's dead.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know of a way to stop the Kindle from indexing? Battery just dies after maybe 6 hours off a full charge, no wifi, screen brightness midway.

I have a fuckton of books on it, but this indexing bullshit is killing any reading joy I have cause 60% of the time when I pick it up to read it's dead.

As a quick dumb fix, delete some of the books?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I've had em on here for a long time, it just decided to reindex all this poo poo for some reason.

Besides, I got the biggie version of the oasis so I could throw pretty much my entire library on there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Leave it plugged in and charging for a few days so it finishes?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I could be mistaken since I've only got like 200 books on mine but it only needs to index once right? So make sure it's started and then plug it in to charge until it's finished.

Or maybe putting half of your books on, letting it index, then the other half would work?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rakuten, you done hosed up and I'm pissed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/kkr-to-buy-digital-library-platform-overdrive-from-rakuten-2019-12-24

The same group that bought and hosed up Toys R Us bought Overdrive from Rakuten.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That is lame as hell. My grandma sure is going to be bummed if something happens to overdrive.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My remarkable updated to v2.0 today. Haven't played much but seems like PDF rendering is faster.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there a way on the Kindle Oasis to see what books are NOT in a collection. On my Kindle, I'd sideload books and they'd show up on the home screen until I put them in a collection. On the Oasis they just lump them into the "Books" category. So I'm paging through 70 pages trying to find and remember what books I have yet to add to a collection...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Is there a way on the Kindle Oasis to see what books are NOT in a collection. On my Kindle, I'd sideload books and they'd show up on the home screen until I put them in a collection. On the Oasis they just lump them into the "Books" category. So I'm paging through 70 pages trying to find and remember what books I have yet to add to a collection...

If you go into the collection you want to add books into, there's a menu to add books and basically any book not already in that collection will be unchecked for you to add. Would that work for you? Calibre does this too by way of a plugin I guess? I can't really comment on this as I don't really use it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you go into the collection you want to add books into, there's a menu to add books and basically any book not already in that collection will be unchecked for you to add. Would that work for you? Calibre does this too by way of a plugin I guess? I can't really comment on this as I don't really use it.

Great! Thanks so much for the help. I'll try it tonight. It's certainly easier than going through every single book one-by-one. I use Calibre to convert books that are cheaper/only in ePub but I've never really used it to manage my Kindles. I may give that a shot as well.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Fly Ricky posted:

Do you have the Library View set to "View As Collections"? I don't have my Kindle with me at work, but I could swear when I view it this way it auto-generates an "Uncollected" Collection that allows me to easily go in there and assign those books to their proper collections of my choice.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

smr posted:

Do you have the Library View set to "View As Collections"? I don't have my Kindle with me at work, but I could swear when I view it this way it auto-generates an "Uncollected" Collection that allows me to easily go in there and assign those books to their proper collections of my choice.

Yeah, I do (just checked). Thanks for the advice though. It's really kind of mind-boggling to me that they would expect you to scroll through a thousand books or whatever to find the newest one you bought. Sorting by "Recent" doesn't show me the most recently added books. It doesn't even seem to be the books I've most recently read, save for the very first one. :iiam:

The other annoying thing I've found is that you make an "Audiobook" collection. It's not that hard to just go in and sort by audiobooks, but I like having everything in it's own place, ya know?

All complaints aside... Actually the battery life even in airplane is pretty poo poo. But it is a drat beautiful screen and amazingly light. Page turn buttons forever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

taqueso posted:

I'm liking the reMarkable so far. It is just the right form factor to replace a writing tablet. The screen is controlled much better than on the Forma, this is a lot more like what I imagined a state of the art eInk device to be like. It is not completely full featured but what is there is very slick and polished. They seem to be doing semi-regular updates, hopefully that will continue.

Now that you've owned it for a while, how do you like the reMarkable? They're down to $450 at this point and that's tempting, although I wonder if they're just trying to clear out inventory before introducing a new version. Still, with a full month to return it if I don't like it, might be worthwhile.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

IIRC it has been on sale for 450 on and off for awhile. The one I have is already v3 or v4 hardware, but the changes must be internal.

Overall, I like it and I use almost every day. I really like the way the drawing tablet functionality works and feels, the pencil draws nicely. I use it instead of tablets at work and doodling feels great, like a nice mech pencil. Reading PDFs is good, I don't really use epubs much but they seem to work fine. If you want it as big ebook reader it's not bad. The screen is gorgeous and larger books like textbooks and electronic datasheets read well. But, you can't bookmark inside of books yet (I don't think but I actually haven't tried since the latest update) but it does keep your current page.

As an organizational tool, it's basically a tablet of paper. Well a bookshelf with many tablets. Which is pretty cool. But, I would so like to be able to do things like adding a google calendar item, then I wouldn't need to get out a second device. It has some neat features like LiveView where you can share your screen with a PC. I could see it being really nice for a professor where they could project their prepared notes and write on top of it, and then email the resulting document to all the students.

I wish I could say it gets updates all the time, but I have only gotten 2. They were both pretty big updates, seemed well tested, and were drama-free.

The hardware has proven to be really nice. The screen can really replace a big book, little ereaders just can't support those kinds of documents well. I couldn't give it up now without finding a replacement.

4.5 out of 5 but they could improve to 5/5 with some updates

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Fly Ricky posted:

Yeah, I do (just checked). Thanks for the advice though. It's really kind of mind-boggling to me that they would expect you to scroll through a thousand books or whatever to find the newest one you bought. Sorting by "Recent" doesn't show me the most recently added books. It doesn't even seem to be the books I've most recently read, save for the very first one. :iiam:

The other annoying thing I've found is that you make an "Audiobook" collection. It's not that hard to just go in and sort by audiobooks, but I like having everything in it's own place, ya know?

All complaints aside... Actually the battery life even in airplane is pretty poo poo. But it is a drat beautiful screen and amazingly light. Page turn buttons forever.

Following up on this... in the Kindle iOS app, for sure, if I set Library to View As Collections, any item NOT in one is put into a Collection called Uncollected, making it very easy to just go in there, bulk-select stuff and throw it into a proper category.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

smr posted:

Following up on this... in the Kindle iOS app, for sure, if I set Library to View As Collections, any item NOT in one is put into a Collection called Uncollected, making it very easy to just go in there, bulk-select stuff and throw it into a proper category.

Hmm. I see that my iOS app automatically groups books into general collections by type (books/docs/periodicals/etc.) but doesn't seem to let me create any. I'm probably just doing something wrong or missing an option.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm kinda curious about e-readers, but I'm not sure I'll actually use it, so I'm thinking about picking up a used one. Anything I should look for / avoid?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want to read PDFs or comics or something, you might be better off buying a tablet instead of an ereader.

If you just want to read books, buy a cheap paperwhite or nook glolight cause honestly, the light up page is pretty awesome when you compare it to the old ereaders.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything that stands out. Only other tip would be keep the wifi or cell service turned off if the reader you buy has those, since they tend to eat battery life pretty quick. Also, buy a case for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 19, 2020

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

I'm kinda curious about e-readers, but I'm not sure I'll actually use it, so I'm thinking about picking up a used one. Anything I should look for / avoid?

Woot has the 2016 Paperwhites for $60 right now:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-paperwhite-2016-6-e-reader-blk-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_6_1

These are the same screen resolution as the new ones, just aren't waterproof. They're refurb but when I got a refurb Kindle it was basically new.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Humerus posted:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-paperwhite-2016-6-e-reader-blk-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_6_1

These are the same screen resolution as the new ones, just aren't waterproof. They're refurb but when I got a refurb Kindle it was basically new.

That's the right price. How big an issue is the lack of ePub support in practice?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

That's the right price. How big an issue is the lack of ePub support in practice?

You can put epubs on them just fine. And you can always convert epub to mobi or Amazon anyway using Calibre. If you mean PDFs though, most sources of ebooks that aren't Amazon will provide epubs or mobis. I think mostly it's technical manuals that have a lot of pictures that end up being PDFs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Humerus posted:

Bigger than the waterproofing is that the new gen has a flush screen and that gen doesn't. If the newest version is still $85 or so from Amazon, or you can find them used for around that, it's worth the extra $20 imo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kindle doesn't let you read epubs. You'd need to either convert them to mobi format with calibre or try to find the book in mobi or azw format.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kindle doesn't let you read epubs. You'd need to either convert them to mobi format with calibre or try to find the book in mobi or azw format.

Oh I could have sworn I'd loaded epubs on my Kindle but I guess not :shrug:
Calibre has an option to automatically convert stuff on import so at least that's a pretty easy workaround.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If I want an e-ink screen, physical buttons, backlight, and epub support, is a Kobo my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

If I want an e-ink screen, physical buttons, backlight, and epub support, is a Kobo my best bet?

The NOOK GlowLight Plus also fulfills that criteria. But yes, as far as other major brand options, Kobo has their Libra model which is smaller than the Nook mentioned or Forma which is larger screen size wise but more expensive.