Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

asecondduck posted:

You know, a failure of the PT that I hadn't really considered before now is that Obi-Wan is supposed to come across as an inflexible, controlling, cultish handler that's actually hurting Anakin but because Anakin keeps doing stupid boneheaded stuff like leaping hundreds of yards down through traffic, and the fact that Ewan McGregor is just inherently likable and hams up some of the doofier bits of the material ("Hello there!") and you end up agreeing with Obi-Wan over angry, impulsive, emolord Anakin most of the time.

If they had played up Obi-Wan's dickishness, and maybe even explored the "is he making moves on Padme" angle a bit more, Anakin's characterization and turn maybe wouldn't have come across as poorly as it did.

Ah well.

Obi Wan was charming and likeable and very, very wrong in the OT as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Clipperton posted:

"Here's a bunch of mannequins walking through the plot, any emotional content is left as an exercise for the readerviewer" is not great filmmaking imo

Since film #1, three of the most popular characters in Star Wars have been the scary guy in a face-obscuring mask, the cylinder with wheels, and the drat near actual mannequin in gold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Excuse me, it's the magic trash can

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely calling bullshit on the idea that anyone likes C3PO

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Creepio, on the other hand, is everyone's favorite

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Freakazoid_ posted:

Why did the tusken raiders torture her anyway?

I got the impression it was meant to be implied violence/sexual assaults like in old westerns. The kind of thing that would make John Wayne a hero for killing the Natives but trying to turn it to while Anakin's anger is understandable, killing everyone in response was monstrous and Padme's reaction of not being *that* bothered by the massacre shows her flawed viewpoint.

For all of the discussion of if character or species X is racist, it seems like it is weird that there isn't more about the Tusken Raiders since they never get presented as much (anything?) more than "Stock Western Evil Indians" with all of the racist baggage that comes with that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They take potshots at pod racers, so they can't be all bad.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sassassin posted:

Obi Wan was charming and likeable and very, very wrong in the OT as well.

from a certain point of view

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Not sure how Sand People can be racist when you literally can't see their skin color, tbh. For all you know they're all White people under there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Who are the biggest racist characters, Watto, Jar-Jar, or the Ferengi

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hatter106 posted:

Just to join the Last Jedi hate-in...

Any proper Star Wars movie should be able to be retold as a medieval fantasy and still function on a basic plot level. ANH is the epitome of this - farmboy, rogue, black knight, princess in a castle, etc etc.
TLJ had none of this. Aside from the Luke-Rey stuff (which was still handled poorly), the main plot had no archetypes or mythos to speak of. Like a previous poster said, it was closer to Battlestar Galactica.

Lightspeed, for example, should never have been a plot point in a SW movie. It's a plot device shorthand for "...And then our heroes traveled for many days and nights."
Something like the hyperdrive being sabotaged in Empire, for example, is analogous to a wagon's wheels being broken. The whole "hyperspeed tracking" plot of TLJ makes no sense in that context, it's far too techy. Same with the "Holdo maneuver."

hahahaha

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bilirubin posted:

Who are the biggest racist characters, Watto, Jar-Jar, or the Ferengi

You mean as in the characters reflect their creators' bigotry or that the characters are themselves racist? Because you should hear the poo poo Watto says when he thinks he's among friends.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

porfiria posted:

You mean as in the characters reflect their creators' bigotry or that the characters are themselves racist? Because you should hear the poo poo Watto says when he thinks he's among friends.

I'm sure he has a few choice comments about the jedi lol

meant to say caricatures, got autocorrect or just dyslexed it IDK

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
After Anakins little rampage the sand people start toning down their crimes to just knocking people out with sticks and dancing around a little

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are the sand people wearing headgear? I always thought that's just how they were

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

They are going to reboot Star Wars in 2035. It'll be gritty and honest and it'll include EARTH.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I agree. TLJ is a joke.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
"This Star War is far too techy" might be my favorite dumb critique of that movie ever. I think theres a lot of valid criticism people have of TLJ even if I disagree, but man thats a good one.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I have to point out how loving bad that 'this is the last page in the story of skywalker' line of sheev's is. since when has he been this satanic nemesis of the skywalker line

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The eighties, I think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Horizon Burning posted:

I have to point out how loving bad that 'this is the last page in the story of skywalker' line of sheev's is. since when has he been this satanic nemesis of the skywalker line

We have no idea what the actual context of that line will be in the film, though. Getting pissed off about how bad you imagine a film might be based on a line from a trailer makes no sense.

I mean, it's a modern Star Wars film, there will probably be enough weak points in the film to actually bitch about without inventing them beforehand.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PT6A posted:

We have no idea what the actual context of that line will be in the film, though. Getting pissed off about how bad you imagine a film might be based on a line from a trailer makes no sense.

I mean, it's a modern Star Wars film, there will probably be enough weak points in the film to actually bitch about without inventing them beforehand.

where in the world do you think you're posting?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

PT6A posted:

Go away JJ.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hatter106 posted:

Any proper Star Wars movie should be-

Bleck posted:

problem with TLJ is that it clashes with a lot of people's expectations about what it should have been, which you may recognize as not being a problem at all

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Horizon Burning posted:

I mean the guys rise to power, sustain of that power and loss of that power and now quest to regain that power has primarily been at the hands of a Skywalker. Its heavily hinted at he "manifested" Anakin via the force so he kind of started the bloodline as we know it.

The dudes entire MO is almost "manipulate the Skywalker bloodline for my own gain"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Palpatine has been killed twice already to no apparent effect. I think times 3+ aren't going to make much of a difference at this point and he'll be around chewing the galaxy's scenery until there are no more stars to have wars

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

A good subversion of expectations TLJ could have done would be to not clumsily copy an original trilogy movie a second time in a row, but that one was just too big an ask.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mischievous Mink posted:

A good subversion of expectations TLJ could have done would be to not clumsily copy an original trilogy movie a second time in a row, but that one was just too big an ask.

Ah, but by doing that, it subverted your expectation that they wouldn't just do the laziest thing possible twice in a row!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

Palpatine has been killed twice already to no apparent effect. I think times 3+ aren't going to make much of a difference at this point and he'll be around chewing the galaxy's scenery until there are no more stars to have wars

Twice?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its heavily hinted at he "manifested" Anakin via the force

I'm fuckin sorry?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'm fuckin sorry?

It got canonically revealed to be the case in the Darth Vader marvel comics, pretty sure. I haven't read them but I remember someone saying that recently in here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AccountSupervisor posted:

"This Star War is far too techy" might be my favorite dumb critique of that movie ever. I think theres a lot of valid criticism people have of TLJ even if I disagree, but man thats a good one.

My favorite was "if hyperspace ramming were possible why isn't everyone already doing it with purposefully-made ships? Therefore it can't be possible and they messed up."

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

My favorite was "if hyperspace ramming were possible why isn't everyone already doing it with purposefully-made ships? Therefore it can't be possible and they messed up."

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than constantly trying to crank out Death Stars.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Once when he was calling himself palpatine and once when he was calling himself snoke

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mischievous Mink posted:

It got canonically revealed to be the case in the Darth Vader marvel comics, pretty sure. I haven't read them but I remember someone saying that recently in here.

No doubt the comics reveal a lot of stuff, but Anakin not having a father when his mother was a slave ain't necessarily a mystery.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'd kinda like it if Finn actually turned around and owned his Stormtrooper training. Get some mismatched armor, show he knows how to aim a rifle or something.
At least he started using that electric stick at the end of TLJ

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mischievous Mink posted:

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than constantly trying to crank out Death Stars.

Depends on the goal. A Death Star can not only blow up a planet but keep doing so. I think we can assume that to blow up a planet with a hyperspace missile you would need something of comparable mass. She disabled a much larger ship, and the resulting shock/shrapnel did a bunch of damage to the rest of the fleet, but eyeballing it I'd say scaling up would be about equivalent to hitting the Earth with the Moon. And you only get to do it once.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It may not reduce a planet to dust, but ramming it at lightspeed with a transport full of scrap metal would probably be enough to render the planet uninhabitable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Siegkrow posted:

I'd kinda like it if Finn actually turned around and owned his Stormtrooper training. Get some mismatched armor, show he knows how to aim a rifle or something.
At least he started using that electric stick at the end of TLJ

I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Depends on the goal. A Death Star can not only blow up a planet but keep doing so. I think we can assume that to blow up a planet with a hyperspace missile you would need something of comparable mass. She disabled a much larger ship, and the resulting shock/shrapnel did a bunch of damage to the rest of the fleet, but eyeballing it I'd say scaling up would be about equivalent to hitting the Earth with the Moon. And you only get to do it once.

If the moon hit the Earth it would render the planet entirely uninhabitable and ruined, and that'd be at sub-light speeds, not going at hyperspace speed. Only getting to do it once isn't a bad cost, the first order didn't seem set back at all losing the starkiller base, if they devoted all that manpower and all those resources to a bunch of big dummy ships with hyperdrives on them I think they'd get way more bang for their buck by far and it wouldn't be beyond their means at all.