Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

he told the person that answered the phone that “this is Henry Kissinger and I have to call the Pope because I have to confess.”

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

Found this in the Funny Panels thread in BSS of all places

It's amazing how much of modern society was shaped by a handful of people saying, "gently caress this. We're doing it this way now."

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Plastik posted:

Found this in the Funny Panels thread in BSS of all places
zip codes

This is a cool website that you can see how a zip code locates your position.

https://benfry.com/zipdecode/

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Krankenstyle posted:

We got postal codes in Denmark in 1967. They're 4 digits, beginning in central Copenhagen with 1xxx (every street has its own), then 2xx0 for the major districts, and finally the rest of Denmark in sections. Before that, addresses would be written for example "Blistrup pr. Helsinge" (with per in the archaic sense of via), the latter town being the distribution center for smaller surrounding villages. England had a similar system with for example "Rowlands Gill, Nr [ie. near] Newcastle-upon-Tyne".

Going back further, there wouldn't be house numbers, just "name, street, town"; and even further back, no street names either — just "name, town". In some of my ancestors' letters, they direct the recipient to send their response to an inn or a store (that is, some permanent location that would be able to hold the letter).

Even in the 80's, small Post Offices would still accept mail as "name, town, state"
My friend's dad got a letter that was addressed "First Name, Last Name, town, state". The thing is that there were 2 people with that name in town. One was a Junior. The postmaster opened the letter and read it to see which one it was for. Small towns are like that.

I think they killed that in the 90's to my memory.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
My dad sent a letter back in the 70s (Norway) that just said

Name
"that yellow house with the large garage and a big apple tree in the garden
Area of city
City

The recipient called him later to tell him how amused he was that it had gotten there.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Government Handjob posted:

My dad sent a letter back in the 70s (Norway) that just said

Name
"that yellow house with the large garage and a big apple tree in the garden
Area of city
City

The recipient called him later to tell him how amused he was that it had gotten there.

There are still remote places in South America (iirc) that use addresses like that.

"The house with the blue door 3km north of the shop on the road between <town> and <other town>"

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Sweevo posted:

There are still remote places in South America (iirc) that use addresses like that.

"The house with the blue door 3km north of the shop on the road between <town> and <other town>"

Africa too. It seems to be pretty common even in bigger cities.

BBC posted:

Since properties often don't have a house number or name and street signs are rarely visible, local landmarks like bars, banks or even trees are used instead to help people find their way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

Even in the 80's, small Post Offices would still accept mail as "name, town, state"
My friend's dad got a letter that was addressed "First Name, Last Name, town, state". The thing is that there were 2 people with that name in town. One was a Junior. The postmaster opened the letter and read it to see which one it was for. Small towns are like that.

There can sometimes be too much ambiguity and people move around a lot more these days. That worked when you did have tiny towns where everybody knew everybody anyway. You can still do that in places without street addresses. Apparently in remote enough places a person's address can be "Josh Murphy, In the Woods by the Waterfall, Town, State Zip Code."

Emergency services are also one of the reasons that happened; where I'm originally from they kept having problems with EMS not knowing where the gently caress to go as there were unlabeled streets (the locals knew the names and nobody out of town had much of a habit of going there) that had a few houses that might not even have numbers. Or signs. Or any indication there was even a house there if you went out far enough and enough trees were blocking the view. Eventually the state said "OK, enough is enough" and foot the bill for a particular style of numbered sign that everybody had to put somewhere obvious so 911 would know where the hell they were going. I think a few people outright refused but for the most part people went "yeah that's a good idea, actually." Now every dwelling has a number label on it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Out here we call those signs your "911 address" because they have no connection to the mail. Usually the local emergency people will know county roads and ranch names and get dispatched that way without them even mentioning the physical address.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In rural Wisconsin where my parents live they don't have a street address, everything including mail is addressed to their fire emergency code the DNR gives out

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

mostlygray posted:

A friend told me that back in 1970s Vienna (so not exactly a small town) his uncle met the old mailman who had been delivering mail to his house since before the war and who was like "Sir, you got a letter from court! But don't worry, I already took a look, it's nothing serious" :v:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Atticus_1354 posted:

Out here we call those signs your "911 address" because they have no connection to the mail. Usually the local emergency people will know county roads and ranch names and get dispatched that way without them even mentioning the physical address.

In Northern MN they're called Fire Numbers. They do translate to address for mail but the fire number is enough for the fire department to come find you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

There are places I'm from where they don't actually deliver the mail to you. You get a post office box and have to go pick it up. While technically there were places that had street addresses some of them nobody knew or had forgotten. I mean some never had a street address in the first place; some people seriously lived on paths in the middle of nowhere. But yeah we didn't call them 911 addresses but mostly the signs got put up and often forgotten about. All EMS cares about is that the signs exist and are visible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Santa Claus is comin' to town. To gently caress you up!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

Strong Red December vibes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Government Handjob posted:

Strong Red December vibes.

More like Rare Exports

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Alhazred posted:

The War on Christmas is getting out of hand

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are places I'm from where they don't actually deliver the mail to you. You get a post office box and have to go pick it up. While technically there were places that had street addresses some of them nobody knew or had forgotten. I mean some never had a street address in the first place; some people seriously lived on paths in the middle of nowhere. But yeah we didn't call them 911 addresses but mostly the signs got put up and often forgotten about. All EMS cares about is that the signs exist and are visible.

I lived in one of the last places in America to get 911 service. Until then, everyone living in the rural section of the county had rural routes, for example Route 4 Box 420. Rural routes were very general, covering wide swaths of land in a geographic area. All of that had to go with 911 as they needed something exact. Few of the dirt roads were named beyond County Road #whatever (names not used by anybody), but almost all got proper names for 911.

On the plus, it did mean that FedEx could now serve the rural section. UPS had been fine for deliveries, but FedEx generally refused to, insisting that the box numbers were actually post office boxes.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Petit Gregory posted:

The War on Christmas is getting out of hand

In tsarist Russia, you don't war on Christmas. Christmas wars on you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I lived in one of the last places in America to get 911 service. Until then, everyone living in the rural section of the county had rural routes, for example Route 4 Box 420. Rural routes were very general, covering wide swaths of land in a geographic area. All of that had to go with 911 as they needed something exact. Few of the dirt roads were named beyond County Road #whatever (names not used by anybody), but almost all got proper names for 911.

On the plus, it did mean that FedEx could now serve the rural section. UPS had been fine for deliveries, but FedEx generally refused to, insisting that the box numbers were actually post office boxes.

Since lived is past tense where was this? Unless it was like a childhood home or something then I guess don't worry about it. I just learned recently about farm to market roads in Texas and they make total sense but are unthinkable for someone living in my part of the country

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since lived is past tense where was this? Unless it was like a childhood home or something then I guess don't worry about it. I just learned recently about farm to market roads in Texas and they make total sense but are unthinkable for someone living in my part of the country

Not sure when the person you're quoting is referring to, but I remember this happening in the late 80s/early 90s. Which I recognize is almost 30 years ago at this point, but it still feels like "recently" to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

I grew up around fm roads and I didn’t realize they were particularly different from other country roads in the US?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I grew up around fm roads and I didn’t realize they were particularly different from other country roads in the US?
One difference is in some states the country roads are serviced by the county so it would be County Road 69 but in Texas all are designated by the state and there are thousands of these roads so there will be intersections of FM 420 and FM 1969.

Wisconsin uses letters so the country road would be County Road BB

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The real question is will the country roads take me home?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnyofdoom posted:

The real question is will the country roads take me home?

It depends if you're west virginia or a mountain mama.

I personally identify as a misty taste of moonshine, makes navigating hell

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Non-postal service related fact: English uses the word "window" instead of a word derived from the latin word for window, fenestra, that romance (ie. Frech "fenetre") and a lot of germanic (ie. German "Fenster") languages in Europe use. In Germanic languages, fenestra entered the languages as a term for glazed windows in the late middle ages - windows are seen in 1st century AD Roman Egypt but northern Europe is, as we all know, a cultural backwater.

English is instead using the old Norse word for an open hole in the fabric of a building, vindauga, 'wind eye', which displaced the Old English eagþyrl, 'eye hole'. Fenester was the English equiavalent of the latin word, but it failed to achieve the ubiquity of the good old wind eye.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Coming off the back of that I have to say the word defenestration is my favourite murder word.
Like how often were people killed by throwing them out windows that a word was needed for it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be murder.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1948 Jan Masaryk allegedly committed suicide by jumping out of the window. This lead to the saying that "Jan Masaryk was a very tidy man. He was such a tidy man that when he jumped he shut the window after himself."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Helith posted:

Coming off the back of that I have to say the word defenestration is my favourite murder word.
Like how often were people killed by throwing them out windows that a word was needed for it?

It's all the rage in Bohemia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I get murdered, I want it to be by enfenestration.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I get murdered, I want it to be by enfenestration.

You wants someone to throw a window trough you?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

You wants someone to throw a window trough you?

No that would mean the window gets gossypied.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Enfenestration could also mean to be made window-like (shot/stabbed?)

Also we still use the Old Norse-derived word in Denmark: vindue

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
In 18th century England the post was delivered down “postal roads”, roads designated for use by mounted postboys. About every twenty miles there would be a “post” (where we get the name) with at least three fresh horses, so when the post boy approached he would sound his horn and the next horse (and post boy if needed) would be readied. He could then simply dismount his own horse and mount the fresh one and carry on.

Quite a good I system, except that the roads were quite unsafe at the time (both from disrepair and crime), postboys were paid quite badly (and usually before they’d even delivered the post, so the temptation to just go and spend it in an ale house was quite strong) and the fact that the postal roads all ran to London.

If you wanted to send a letter from Bristol to Manchester, a distance of approx 160 miles, it would first have to go to London (110 miles) and then up another postal road to Manchester (210 miles). That’s 320 miles to go 160 miles - twice as long. In the 18th century a guy called Ralph Allen decided this was clearly a load of bullshit and designated new postal roads which didn’t just go to London but instead crossed over multiple postal roads. So now your post could go down the Bristol > Birmingham postal road (85 miles); at this crossroads would be another “post”, but this time with a new post boy on a fresh horse ready to go up the Birmingham > Manchester postal road. The first rider would stop and hand over his post to the second rider - the post would be marked “X Birmingham” designating that it should be crossposted at the Birmingham crossroad. I don’t think this is where the modern term came from though. Anyway, it’s then only another 85 miles to Manchester, so 170 in total. Postboys would travel at approximately 3 miles per hour, although this was a 24 hour service - in daylight they might manage 5 or 6mph, at night 1 or 2.

In central London, and later other cities, post was picked up and delivered every HOUR. It was possible to send your wife a letter at lunchtime saying you’d be late home and it would be in her hands before you were even due home. Even in smaller towns there were usually three pick ups and deliveries a day; business owners could order stock and send it in the 2pm post, it would be received by the wholesaler with the 9pm post who would then prepare it and despatch at dawn. Thats faster than Amazon Prime.

One last fact: the bag that the postboys carried the letters in was called a “male”, which is obviously where the word mail comes from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Enfenestration could also mean to be made window-like (shot/stabbed?)

Could, but doesn't. That's fenestrate, i.e. to make holy.

e: Not to be confused with the adjective fenestrate which means having many holes, i.e. being holy big-time stylee.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

No that would mean the window gets gossypied.

Made into cotton?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jerry Cotton posted:

Could, but doesn't. That's fenestrate, i.e. to make holy.

e: Not to be confused with the adjective fenestrate which means having many holes, i.e. being holy big-time stylee.

To make holy or to be hole-y

I think I may have spoken about this before, but one of my favorite window facts is about Witch Windows. In Vermont, older homes sometimes have a window installed on the diagonal. This is apparently because people believed it would keep witches out, as it's very difficult to fly on a broom at an angle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Dec 1, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I travel a lot and there are parts of the country where there really is nothing out there. Miles and miles of highway with occasional small turn-offs leading to some distant farmhouse that you can barely see, and out west in places like Utah and Nevada you don't even have those. Or cell service!

This is why we say "dirt doesn't vote" when Republicans show maps with a ton of red to "prove" that the US is actually filled with right-wingers. Those swathes of red across the country have literally no people in them. Wyoming has a lower population than just the metro area I live in, and my city isn't particularly huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

duckmaster posted:

In 18th century England the post was delivered down “postal roads”, roads designated for use by mounted postboys. About every twenty miles there would be a “post” (where we get the name) with at least three fresh horses, so when the post boy approached he would sound his horn and the next horse (and post boy if needed) would be readied. He could then simply dismount his own horse and mount the fresh one and carry on.

Quite a good I system, except that the roads were quite unsafe at the time (both from disrepair and crime), postboys were paid quite badly (and usually before they’d even delivered the post, so the temptation to just go and spend it in an ale house was quite strong) and the fact that the postal roads all ran to London.

sounds like the Pony Express system of 19th century US, made necessary by enormous distances pre-rail- kind of a wonder at a time when it took the better part of a year to travel westward with sufficient supplies across almost no infrastructure