Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i cried and creid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sydin posted:

Isn't the new game supposed to be good?

It is. Feels very star wars kind of like the mandalorian.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

That Maul is "wasted" is the joke. He's a cool scary demon Sheev sends out to die like a punk while he glad-hands his way to world domination. The obvious enemy falls while the phantom menace thrives.

Maul should have been the Vader of the Prequels. He was a good retake on what it was to be a Sith. A fast one looking and spewing hatred.
He should have killed Quigon, hosed up Obi wan, but leaves him alive.
Second film should have been Obi wan tilting to the dark side, with such hatred against Maul.
And hes training Anakin to kill Maul.
Third film should be Anakin saving Obi-wan from falling, but falls himself.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 29, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Knives Out looks like a quirky parlor murder mystery, Brick was a quirky noir murder mystery, Rian Johnson should have been in his element making a quirky western/samurai, but he didn't even try which makes me really consider that:

The Protagonist posted:

TLJ wasn't a movie, it was an improvised franchise sabotage explosive device

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

QuarkJets posted:

"How dare they" I whispered aloud when Luke threw his lightsaber away. "This is a travesty. I am shocked at what I'm seeing here."

It's ok to admit you found that hilarious along with the your momma prank phone call at the beginning. May I also recommend some Adam Sandler movies or The Big Bang Theory?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

It's ok to admit you found that hilarious along with the your momma prank phone call at the beginning. May I also recommend some Adam Sandler movies or The Big Bang Theory?

lol way to identify yourself as being the butt of the joke

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

lol way to identify yourself as being the butt of the joke

It's a poo poo film and that scene is godawful i'll happily admit to giving a poo poo about Star Wars in the Star Wars thread

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*openly weeping in front of a webcam* My childhood, Disney has stolen my childhood, internet please tell me how to report jj abrams and rian johnson for war crimes

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im mostly astonished that the big wigs at disney went with in the first place in the form that it ended up in.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

*openly weeping in front of a webcam* My childhood, Disney has stolen my childhood, internet please tell me how to report jj abrams and rian johnson for war crimes

Now you're just trying too hard

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

Maul should have been the Vader of the Prequels. He was a good retake on what it was to be a Sith. A fast one looking and spewing hatred.
He should have killed Quigon, hosed up Obi wan, but leaves him alive.
Second film should have been Obi wan tilingt to the dark side, such hatred against Maul.
And hes training Anakin to kill Maul.
Third film should be Anakin saving Obi-wan from falling, but falls himself.

Some people really want a scary villain they can boo (or cheer) rather than the Enemy being the weakness of the modern political system, where democracy dies to rapturous applause.

It's more comforting to imagine all life's tragedies can be traced back to a red dude with horns and an exotic religion of hate. Star Wars was never that childish despite being films made for kids.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol he falls down a giant hole and that's the end of him ahahaha

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

sassassin posted:

Some people really want a scary villain they can boo (or cheer) rather than the Enemy being the weakness of the modern political system, where democracy dies to rapturous applause.

It's more comforting to imagine all life's tragedies can be traced back to a red dude with horns and an exotic religion of hate. Star Wars was never that childish despite being films made for kids.

We're talking about Star Wars

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

sassassin posted:

Some people really want a scary villain they can boo (or cheer) rather than the Enemy being the weakness of the modern political system, where democracy dies to rapturous applause...It's more comforting to imagine all life's tragedies can be traced back to a red dude with horns and an exotic religion of hate.
the Enemy is actually a wizard who looks like this though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Saint Drogo posted:

the Enemy is actually a wizard who looks like this though

But most of the time he doesn't look like that. He takes over the galaxy because people vote him into absolute authority. The lightning is just for fun.

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

sassassin posted:

But most of the time he doesn't look like that. He takes over the galaxy because people vote him into absolute authority. The lightning is just for fun.

but he used sith mind control on them to make them vote for him dont you see

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I mean Star Wars at the end of the day is a traditional tale about heroes and villains so you do kind of need the big bombastic bad guys. I'm happy for the main villain to be a fairly boring scheming bureaucrat if he's done well (Palpatine until the end of the prequels, Krennic) but old school James Bond got it right: your villain can be bland but if that's the case he needs to have some fairly ludicrous and fun henchmen to help balance things out (in a silly film such as Star Wars). Which is why Maul is good. Its also another reason Solo is so forgettable as the main bad guy is just some arms dealer (holo Maul doesn't count).

Star wars was totally childish. Especially in ANH where Vader is the main villain and that dude is cartoony as hell. He's a 7 foot tall, magic robot man. Palatine turns out to be an old guy in a chair but he's also a wizard who shoots lightning, as Drogo points out ( for the prequels he takes a step back allowing the cartoon villains to shine).

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 29, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If your argument is "Maul is to Palpatine what Oddjob is to Goldfinger", then Maul needed to have actually loving DONE something fun other than appear menacing. Oddjob was at least good for a few ludicrous, fun moments. Maul just shows up, cuts down Qui Gon and dies while looking constipated. He's not a fun, fairly ludicrous henchman. He's just a sour jackass.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Krennic was cool, he was a tired climber in the empire capable of casual cruelty but not cunning enough to save his own skin. Ben Mendelssohn played him well and he had a sick powder white cape

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Krennics costume was great because it tells such a story when Tarkin, basically the President of Space, is confident enough in his position to wear a simple military tunic. But the head of this weird DARPA project really wants that clout and dresses like he's galactic royalty.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I'm not arguing that Lucas used Maul in the henchman role effectively, but that Maul would definitely fall in the henchman category, although the characters don't realise this. Also you can't equate it exactly 1:1 with Bond as Bond knows it's camp. Firstly he's a henchman because he has zero autonomy or goals, he's just following Palpantine's commands, furthermore he looks ridiculous which is a key part of the henchman code, he has a unique weapon, he practically never speaks, he pursues our heroes along their journey, fights them once albeit briefly and they have to flee, reports to his boss and let's him know the situation and then finally confronts the good guys, where he's enough of a threat that he kills one of them but then is quickly dispatched in comical fashion. If you take TPM as chapter one of three he definitely fits the role imo. You are correct that he wasn't used well and enough though. He's a potentially great henchman used poorly.

Grevious falls into a similar category. But yes sadly neither of them are fun in the campy James Bond sense but instead in the prequels the fun comes from how drat weird they are, especially in comparison to the fairly bland characters around them. Just look at Maul compared to the grey nothing that is Padme or Qui Gon. As soon as you look at him you're like woah who the hell is this guy? But yes incredibly wasted potential.

Edit: spelling bad very tired and on phone

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 29, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sassassin posted:

Yes it was, rewatch the OT maybe

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kazak posted:

Krennic was cool, he was a tired climber in the empire capable of casual cruelty but not cunning enough to save his own skin. Ben Mendelssohn played him well and he had a sick powder white cape

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krennics costume was great because it tells such a story when Tarkin, basically the President of Space, is confident enough in his position to wear a simple military tunic. But the head of this weird DARPA project really wants that clout and dresses like he's galactic royalty.

Really wish Rogue One dropped the Saw/China story lines and gave us more insight into the inner workings of the Empire. Krennic was the most interesting character in the movie, and it would have been awesome to have seen more of him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Grevious falls into a similar category. But yes sadly neither of them are fun in the campy James Bond sense but instead in the prequels the fun comes from how drat weird they are, especially in comparison to the fairly bland characters around them.

It'd be cool if those "weird" traits weren't things like a pack-a-day smoker's cough that detract from the character's menace. It's ad lib character design

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MrFlibble posted:

Also if one of your big plot points is stopping someone from a suicide to buy more time as a moral message then maybe your film shouldn't include a successful suicide to buy time earlier in the film.

Also another character committed suicide to buy them time immediately after this scene

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also another character committed suicide to buy them time immediately after this scene

It's buying time suicides all the way down.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be cool if those "weird" traits weren't things like a pack-a-day smoker's cough that detract from the character's menace. It's ad lib character design

Yea good old General "throw darts at board of ideas" Grevious. He apparently gets damaged in the cartoon but 99% of people never watched that so it's dumb. You're right that Lucas and co literally threw a million things at him but still I kinda appreciate that we got a bug man in a robot suit who can walk like a spider has six lightsabers and twirls his fingers like a 1900s villain. It's super dumb but it was for kids and I think most kids thought he was cool.

In 20+ years time we'll still remember more about General Grevious than 90% of any Marvel villain etc. But yes still very wasted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The first suicide wasn't to buy anyone time, that's why everyone in the movie called it a stupid idea. "Let's throw away a bunch of resources pointlessly" is a bad idea

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Yea good old General "throw darts at board of ideas" Grevious. He apparently gets damaged in the cartoon but 99% of people never watched that so it's dumb. You're right that Lucas and co literally threw a million things at him but still I kinda appreciate that we got a bug man in a robot suit who can walk like a spider has six lightsabers and twirls his fingers like a 1900s villain. It's super dumb but it was for kids and I think most kids thought he was cool.

In 20+ years time we'll still remember more about General Grevious than 90% of any Marvel villain etc. But yes still very wasted.

Yeah his problem is that he's not focused on being any particular thing, he's a Jedi Assassin and a Cool Bug Robot and a general and a hundred other things when all he needed were just those first two.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like I legit wonder if George Lucas wanted Darth Vader to die at the end of ANH and everyone around him was like "No, that is a really bad idea" so they added a scene of him flying away at the last minute

He probably also wanted to film Darth Vader working on a ship in a bottle or some poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

QuarkJets posted:

The first suicide wasn't to buy anyone time, that's why everyone in the movie called it a stupid idea. "Let's throw away a bunch of resources pointlessly" is a bad idea

I think the suicides they're talking about are Holdos and Luke's. The movie tells us the bombing run suicides were bad but if they hadn't taken out that big rear end dreadnought that chase would have ended in about 5 minutes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everyone just be killing themselves in these star wars. They want out of the script!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

The movie tells us the bombing run suicides were bad but if they hadn't taken out that big rear end dreadnought that chase would have ended in about 5 minutes.

Except presumably they'd still have all of those bombers and could still blow it up later

Like maybe we could have a tense space battle with some stakes instead of a pointless suicide mission followed by a prolonged low speed car chase

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the suicides they're talking about are Holdos and Luke's. The movie tells us the bombing run suicides were bad but if they hadn't taken out that big rear end dreadnought that chase would have ended in about 5 minutes.

why is that? subspace speed and fuel were the factors in the chase, not military might. snokes star destroyer is more powerful than the dreadnought no?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I admire quarkjets' commitment to repeatedly running his dick and balls through a printing press and acting like he is smart for doing so.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Walrus posted:

why is that? subspace speed and fuel were the factors in the chase, not military might. snokes star destroyer is more powerful than the dreadnought no?

As far as I could tell snokes star destroyer didnt have the big rear end cannon that the dreadnought did, presumably that would have punched thru the shields much faster than the resistance would have run out of fuel, and considering that it could bomb a planet from orbit distance wouldnt have been an issue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

I admire quarkjets' commitment to repeatedly running his dick and balls through a printing press and acting like he is smart for doing so.

What is this analogy even supposed to mean? This could have been a sick burn if you'd used carefully chosen words instead of random garbage but I guess that's asking a lot

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

edit: double post- meant for the Star Wars thread, not the Star Wars thread

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 29, 2019

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TLJ was on tv last night, first time I've seen it. It wasn't terrible, kind of long though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Iceberg Empire pullin off the lot frost chrome 2 seat snow moon speeder