Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

seems more 1on1 i cant recall anything super dangerous in SMW. Maybe a scaffold match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Trying to weigh up what's worse - Russo putting wrestlers in danger with his multiple stupid gimmicks versus Cornette putting wrestlers in danger by starting near riots back in the day.

Gotta say Russo's had the bigger platform for his detritus so he wins this for me. Cornette is making waves at the moment but only on the IWC - Russo got to broadcast his crap to millions of homes back in WWE/WCW and thousands with TNA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Russo's booking definitely put more people at risk.

Also this thread has some evidence for Vince, Linda and McDevitt's candidacies.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200205231793037313?s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200219295407587328

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Protest voting for the scum business man who ran a cult that shortened lives over the viscerally evil double murder suicide domestic abuser who was also just a shithead.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Chris Benoit killed his family

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Seams posted:

"Awwww god!"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingslayer posted:

"Awwww god!"

Delete that immediately!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Seams posted:

WHAT IS THIS

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Someone in BACK!?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
personally, i only voted for Benoit because he was so short

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Surprised Heyman has as many votes as he does already

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

isnt there a real hosed up candido/sunny/heyman story re: wcw and drugs or am i misremembering

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Benoit's arms were too short to put the crown on his head if he won King of the Ring.

Heyman, and ECW as a whole, were very bad for wrestling.

At least we don't have to deal with Benoit nostalgia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

John Dudebro posted:

it's absolutely vince's fault for making him do a dangerous stunt without ensuring it would be safe, but owen's death was still an accident. vince did not wake up that morning and decide he would kill owen hart

Nope.

There are very, very few industrial accidents. Proceeding when your usual rigger refused to do the job, using substandard gear not rated for the work, and not rehearsing the stunt in full costume to ensure it was safe are on the company asking him to do the stunt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

karmicknight posted:

Protest voting for the scum business man who ran a cult that shortened lives over the viscerally evil double murder suicide domestic abuser who was also just a shithead.

what you protestin'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Nope.

There are very, very few industrial accidents. Proceeding when your usual rigger refused to do the job, using substandard gear not rated for the work, and not rehearsing the stunt in full costume to ensure it was safe are on the company asking him to do the stunt.

Along with threatening to fire Owen if he didn't come to the building to do the stunt he didn't want to do.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok my meds are kicking in so I'm gonna make this quick.
Heyman over Benoit because I value systemic malevolence higher than personal malevolence.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

ChrisBTY posted:

Heyman over Benoit because I value systemic malevolence higher than personal malevolence.

This is why I’ll vote for Vince over Benoit but I think Benoit’s crimes outweigh Heyman’s in this instance.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

MassRafTer posted:

Along with threatening to fire Owen if he didn't come to the building to do the stunt he didn't want to do.

if i was Owen i would just get fired so i could go to WCW and still be alive. did WCW not want him. i suppose hindsight is 20/20

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

what you protestin'

Chris Benoit.

But more the idea that Chris Benoit is worse than Heyman because Chris Benoit killed and abused people in a very obvious and visceral way compared the deaths and abuse committed by proxy through ECW.

Basically my protest sign is this post.

ChrisBTY posted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drew McIntyre posted:

if i was Owen i would just get fired so i could go to WCW and still be alive. did WCW not want him. i suppose hindsight is 20/20

It's May of 99, Bret has been stagnant in WCW for a year +, Owen is making a LOT of money in the WWF and he's seen Bulldog already want out of WCW. You might not want to get fired for a stunt where you are assured everything will be alright.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that sounds like a regular vote to me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it ain't my fucken business. I'm not anybody else. I'm gonna get outta here!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

that sounds like a regular vote to me

It is also that, and in fact mostly if not all that.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the autopsy report on nancy is horrifying. chris tied her up and beat her before he strangled her. it wasn't some painless, peaceful "smother in your sleep" murder. and he had enough presence of mind to put bibles around their bodies, write a suicide note, and write polite texts

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

yah ive never looked into the specifics of how Benoit did it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a question of visceral vs systemic, and the suffering that got them there. I wanna say it's still Benoit, but you could make the argument Benoit was messed up to begin with then further injured by wrestling and various elements of that era. Elements Heyman helped perpetuate as part of his systemic abuse of workers, while ripping them off and apparently getting blowjobs while doing it? Is that real? I can never tell what is real in this carny loving carny industry, as evidenced by slipping on sarcasm earlier in the thread.

Gut still says Benoit but maybe the gut reaction is wrong.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

ChrisBTY posted:

Heyman was and is very, very rich, while there's still a trail of broken bodies and minds under his golden throne.

On the Cornette thing, I can't imagine why anyone would actually hire him. He once said (but exactly the words, but essentially) "now that the statute of limitations has expired let me go on the record: yes I did try to kill that motherfucker with my car". He's well known for been angry, crazy and horribly behind the times.

Low Desert Punk posted:

the autopsy report on nancy is horrifying. chris tied her up and beat her before he strangled her. it wasn't some painless, peaceful "smother in your sleep" murder. and he had enough presence of mind to put bibles around their bodies, write a suicide note, and write polite texts

The talk is Jericho interview with Nancy's sister was great at dispelling any belief I had that it was a weird momentary lapse. Chris was a monster.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Russo cause while both Corny and Russo are racist and bad Russo takes the cake cause of his role in causing WCW to close and ruining leverage for wrestler for years

Benoit murdered his family

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Some more content for later on in the tournament (funny I almost did the Watts match up tonight.)

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1200255286994452480

Also not funny, I'm so deep down this hole that this was only AS racist as I remembered. (It's incredibly racist.)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Some more content for later on in the tournament (funny I almost did the Watts match up tonight.)

Also not funny, I'm so deep down this hole that this was only AS racist as I remembered. (It's incredibly racist.)

Holy poo poo. His mini-rant about Roots reminds me of Nixon randomly dissing hot pants, which I guess makes sense because he was a paranoid racist rear end in a top hat too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

You can hear Keller dying on the inside more and more as Watts just gets more racist on the call

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Russo's booking definitely put more people at risk.

Also this thread has some evidence for Vince, Linda and McDevitt's candidacies.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200205231793037313?s=19
For what it's worth, Rita Chatterton was also on a regular episode of Geraldo—as in the talk show—to further air her allegations against Vince, but I've literally never seen any trace of it outside of a mention in the Vince & Linda v. Chatterton/Geraldo and company/Dr. D lawsuit.

One of these days I'll write more about the Geraldo and Phil Mushnick lawsuits, but the Geraldo lawsuit is...weird. It's not a defamation case like you'd expect or like the Mushnick/NY Post lawsuit filed the same month was. Instead, Vince and Linda sued over intentional infliction of emotional distress, civil conspiracy, and loss of consortium. So even though they claimed that Chatterton's allegations weren't true and there was a scheme built around them, the lawsuit technically wouldn't necessarily hinge on them.

Since it's gone from the TPM site, here's the complaint: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6562629-Vince-Linda-McMahon-v-Rivera-Et-Al-Complaint-03.html

It does seem like there was some shady stuff going on with some of the defendants—Geraldo was running a tabloid TV show, so that's no shock, but it's...very, very weird. There's talk of "actual malice" and all that jazz in the complaint even though it's not a defamation lawsuit, for example. I am not a lawyer, but...is there any reason you'd do that other than the obvious?

Like with the Mushnick case, it was effectively dropped when Vince/Linda/WWE couldn't get the case/discovery delayed. Since Vince couldn't sit for a deposition while the steroid trial was a few months away, that was the end.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 29, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think Hustler vs. Falwell extended the actual malice standard to intentional infliction of emotional distress claims against the media

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

I randomly threw this together the other day for one very specific reason, though the "it's MUCH worse when you hear it in his own voice" part that even Meltzer has talked about didn't hurt:

To crystalize how many "well, he's just incredibly libertarian!" excuses have been made for Watts's discrimination comments (even if Watts allegedly regretted all of it after becoming religious) over the years...even though there's a strong case for his other, less-repeated comments being MORE racist in the first place!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think Hustler vs. Falwell extended the actual malice standard to intentional infliction of emotional distress claims against the media
I feel like I should know this better, but it's also getting late, so that may have been a brainfart on my part.

Still, different context here...why sue, claim it was false, and not include any kind of defamation counts? That's what's always thrown me about this. Is it just to avoid having to litigate/do discovery on the truth of the statement? Or...?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Linda McMahon sued because Rita's allegations ruined her sex life and that's not a joke.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Linda McMahon sued because Rita's allegations ruined her sex life and that's not a joke.
Close enough. Paragraph 61, from page 25 of the complaint:

"As a consequence of the injuries that McMahon has suffered as a direct and proximate result of Chatterton's outrageous, intentional, malicious and extortionate acts, Mrs. McMahon has been deprived of McMahon's companionship, society, affection and moral support."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

This explains a lot of modern WWE booking now god drat