Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lolling at every half hour headline that Johnson was replaced by a block of ice for a debate last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone linked to the google doc that already is a quite comprehensive documentation afaik?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

What about the whole wreath laying thing?

As people do seem intent on bringing that up every time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
As much as I like Labours proposed changes to maternity and paternity leave. I think it needs to be longer for dads still. A 3 month minimum should be standard as a month isn't loving long enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

coffeetable posted:

also because any forum selects heavily for people who want to talk rather than do

People are posting on a daily basis about going out and getting active to help Labour campaign but sure, just write us off as a bunch of lazy slackers

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want to state for the record I am a lazy slacker.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's hard to see why the Tories decided to turn this into a big row. It seems obvious to me people will think Boris is frit, especially with the Andrew Neil thing, and it's so hard to defend him not turning up. Isn't it going to he more damaging to his image as leader to be thought of as cowardly than if they just tried to let the climate debate quietly pass by?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

People are posting on a daily basis about going out and getting active to help Labour campaign but sure, just write us off as a bunch of lazy slackers

But Rarity you're not giving some of your vast wealth to the third world so are you even really a leftist???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure they're capable of letting it slide because they're a bunch of entitled pricks. Very much a mogg insulting poors thing, essential to the tory character that they can't ignore the insult.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

But Rarity you're not giving some of your vast wealth to the third world so are you even really a leftist???

I have a regular donation with Oxfam :colbert:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I went out on my first canvassing session last night. Honestly though it was kind of disappointing i got there and found only two other people had turned up. So there was three of us tramping the street.

On the positive side we got a pretty good response in general and boris and the Americans are going to gently caress the NHS sold well.

Still we could use more help to defend this marginal if any of you are near stockton south

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

I went out on my first canvassing session last night. Honestly though it was kind of disappointing i got there and found only two other people had turned up. So there was three of us tramping the street.

On the positive side we got a pretty good response in general and boris and the Americans are going to gently caress the NHS sold well.

Still we could use more help to defend this marginal if any of you are near stockton south

In my experience the weekdays session are usually 3-5 people unless you're somewhere like London and even then.. It's the weekend session in marginals that are packed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're also fighting with middlesbrough south next door which went tory last election after the incumbent hosed off the minute it was called, and we're trying to get it back.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."

Miftan posted:

In my experience the weekdays session are usually 3-5 people unless you're somewhere like London and even then.. It's the weekend session in marginals that are packed.

Funnily enough, during canvassing yesterday there were around 12 of us - quite a bit higher than the last time I canvassed (which was on the weekend). Hopefully shows more people getting involved and wanting to make a difference.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gwaint posted:

Funnily enough, during canvassing yesterday there were around 12 of us - quite a bit higher than the last time I canvassed (which was on the weekend). Hopefully shows more people getting involved and wanting to make a difference.

That's really good! Good luck!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Suddenly the melts briefing about Labour "pivoting" and all that poo poo makes sense - Labour are launching "regional manifestos" to explain how they're going to invest in specific areas. So now this thing which is obviously a long-planned part of the campaign can be dismissed, like the NHS papers, as a sign of weakness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Friend of mine came home to find he got robbed yesterday, they cleared them out. Fortunately everyone including the cats are physically fine, but it's well poo poo. :(
That sucks :( Was it someone local?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Suddenly the melts briefing about Labour "pivoting" and all that poo poo makes sense - Labour are launching "regional manifestos" to explain how they're going to invest in specific areas. So now this thing which is obviously a long-planned part of the campaign can be dismissed, like the NHS papers, as a sign of weakness.

Also an excellent idea in general because it's hard for us to say how much or what part of the big spending pledges we're actually gonna see up here because obviously the north is usually left well behind.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jakabite posted:

As a long time lurker who only really posts when I feel it's needed I have to say - why the gently caress are you all ignoring this? It seems to indicate a trend I've noticed in my rare postings that calls to actual action are ignored - I've posted a few times letting people know about good activist events that could use numbers, and been roundly ignored each time. I know this comes off as bitter but it's never bothered me - people are busy and may not have time for what I'm pushing. But it does bother me when someone is asking for help with something that this thread could be a huge resource for, with very little effort. You all really need to engage with this sort of thing more as it's one of the few things a (very solid, very good generally) online community is actually practically useful for.

I agree with coffeetable (oh god). No offence to JordanKai but he's not the only person in the last three years to come up with the idea of collating information. Also there were three hours between your two posts, at night, maybe give people some time to string an effort post together.

Bit obtuse to come into the thread with its own political podcast and a bunch of j4g momentum members and scream about people not participating, tbh.

For actual content:

The evergreen
https://twitter.com/davidgraeber/status/1170032483859148800?s=19

The tory fibs rebuttal document
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1199042993841483776?s=19

Michael Rosen's article
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1199958472315539456?s=19

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Blinks77 posted:

What about the whole wreath laying thing?

As people do seem intent on bringing that up every time.

Yeah, but what about it? He went to a wreath laying ceremony in remembrance of people killed by an Israeli airstrike on PLO headquarters, it's pretty consistent with his belief in the necessity of a peace process. I mean, this also comes from the same place that criticized him for meeting with ‘hardline republicans’ - it’s reactionary.

To, in a sense, depoliticise this with moral outrage as anti-semitism or evidence of sympathy for anti-semitic views is grossly misleading.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry thread, I was just in a bad mood, you're all good eggs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Re: the IRA stuff, Thatcher also met with the IRA at the same time, she just lied about it :v:

But as with everything, such as May unveiling a statue to a literal nazi supporter yesterday, it doesn't matter because the press don't report it. Won't report it. Because the british press will never suggests that the british imperial state or its upholders could possibly be bad.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
From the Guardian livefeed (currently about Boris Johnson on LBC):
The nurse who called in says the PM’s comments have “done nothing” to convince her that she should keep going to work. Johnson sighs.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
It was meant to be another managed chummy chat and even Nick Ferrari is blindsiding him

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know it's been linked before, but can someone link the support Corbyn has done for Jewish peoples?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pennfalath posted:

From the Guardian livefeed (currently about Boris Johnson on LBC):
The nurse who called in says the PM’s comments have “done nothing” to convince her that she should keep going to work. Johnson sighs.

Going by that liveblog it's a car crash of an interview :stare:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

u brexit ukip it posted:

Going by that liveblog it's a car crash of an interview :stare:

Yeah, I'm at work so I can't listen to it, but when I get home, I'll put it on. I am following the liveblog though.

" A caller says she is a single mother and doesn’t appreciate his comments about single mothers made in a Spectator column in 1995.

These are 25 year-old quotations from “before I was even in politics”, Johnson says (...) The quotations are “absolute distortions of what I said”, Johnson adds (...) "

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Probably a good idea have all these rebuttal things in the op of the next thread.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Samovar posted:

I know it's been linked before, but can someone link the support Corbyn has done for Jewish peoples?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR-tiGv2w89fnqY1_cPygN8VlP4uROfF9ys8THXB1p0r-UTAPgmx5g3pgWfr-aeo3G3Ka1S-bbtmD1w/pub

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

LBC posted:

How come that Johnson is prepared to comment on other people’s children if he isn’t prepared to talk about his own?, Ferrari asks. “How many children do you have? Are you fully and wholly involved in all their lives?”

“I don’t think this is what the nation wants to hear,” Johnson says, after a lengthy attempt to deflect.

Is there another Johnson on the way?, he is asked. The PM struggles again, stammers a few lines about getting Brexit done.

:lol::lol:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
When LBC start pushing clips I recommend going in and watching/listening to the whole interview - Momentum are going to have a field day clipping

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the other half of that update is the funnier half because johnson definitively answers the question of the ship of theseus.

quote:

Ferrari quizzes the PM on misleading pledges about building “new” hospitals, when really some of them will only be rebuilt. Johnson says that he feels a rebuilt hospital is a new one.

Which is to say if you replace any parts of a thing while being a tory it counts as a new thing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

brawleh posted:

Yeah, but what about it? He went to a wreath laying ceremony in remembrance of people killed by an Israeli airstrike on PLO headquarters, it's pretty consistent with his belief in the necessity of a peace process. I mean, this also comes from the same place that criticized him for meeting with ‘hardline republicans’ - it’s reactionary.

To, in a sense, depoliticise this with moral outrage as anti-semitism or evidence of sympathy for anti-semitic views is grossly misleading.

if they're of a Blair-leaning persuasion, point out that Blair considered the PLO the legitimate government of Palestine

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Samovar posted:

I just remembered the seething outrage when he went to Jewdas' Seder because they were *the wrong kind of Jews*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/BonitaRochelle/status/1200184715711590400

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol at boris telling ferrari to change the subject via hand signal.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1200350094895304704

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

That sucks :( Was it someone local?

Nah they live in Memphis lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

Asked about the cladding crisis across the country the Grenfell distaster has sparked, Johnson says he’s planning to look at the issue from “top to bottom”. “What does that mean?”, Ferrari intervenes. He never liked this type of cladding, the PM says, but fails to give an answer containing any figures, research or detailed approaches the government might be considering.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Help I'm fallen down the rabbit hole of left-wing TikTok send help

https://twitter.com/877KashNow/status/1189253352049270784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thankee