Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just curious, is the "Tories being on the back foot" line potentially astro turfing to stop people feeling the need to vote?

I admit I could be wrong, just saying it's a tactic...

They're not on the back foot, they've fallen on their arse.

Fortunately that involved a soft landing :shrek:

Edit: The Tories' collective pants contain a number 1, a number 3 and a number 9 large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Mmm. Both sides have been said to have been on the back foot this election. To be honest until you start seeing papers screaming LABOUR 1 POINT AHEAD IN NEWEST POLL GET OUT AND VOTE BEFORE HE STEALS YOUR JEWS then I wouldn't worry about framing of day to day headlines.
He's After Your Secret Extra Bones!

Tesseraction posted:

Norway has massive alcohol duties to persuade people to not drink themselves to death.
At least in the rural north that just leads to a lot of home brewing.

And probably home distilling too if the tractors in ditches with farmers clutching flasks of supposed brandy are anything to go by.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just curious, is the "Tories being on the back foot" line potentially astro turfing to stop people feeling the need to vote?

If the government is on the back foot you'd think that it would motivate people to vote under the current circumstances.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the Politico questioner was great, litany of questions including "Yesterday in an interview you said you have never lied in your political life but is it not true that Michael Howard fired you for lying about an extramarital affair? And to be clear this is not a question about Brexit or your deal, this is a question about your personal conduct."

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

lol the Politico questioner was great, litany of questions including "Yesterday in an interview you said you have never lied in your political life but is it not true that Michael Howard fired you for lying about an extramarital affair? And to be clear this is not a question about Brexit or your deal, this is a question about your personal conduct."

:shepface:

...Get ...Brexit ... done?

:shepicide:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I doubt it because it comes from Labour supporters along with encouragement to keep on working hard

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Overminty posted:

Yeah but I paid £10 for a pint at a norwegian apres ski once so gently caress that

Im guessing half the price went into the pretentiousness of the name "apres ski"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Overminty posted:

Yeah but I paid £10 for a pint at a norwegian apres ski once so gently caress that

Yeah but the average wage is over 30% higher in Norway as well so we can afford that.

But seriously you paid more than double what you pay outside of restaurants and pubs, we don' t have pub culture and pubs and bars are ripoffs.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Boris looking really strong and stable rn

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah but the average wage is over 30% higher in Norway as well so we can afford that.

But seriously you paid more than double what you pay outside of restaurants and pubs, we don' t have pub culture and pubs and bars are ripoffs.

Yeah whenever the Norwegian clients are over for meetings they will not leave without going on a pub crawl because they get the proper experience here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

Boris looking really strong and stable rn

It was Very Normal for him to start to walk away but then twitch back to shout GET BREXIT DONE like someone waking up from a nightmare shouting the last thing they saw

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Braggart posted:

They're not on the back foot, they've fallen on their arse.

Fortunately that involved a soft landing :shrek:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Guavanaut posted:

He's After Your Secret Extra Bones!

At least in the rural north that just leads to a lot of home brewing.

And probably home distilling too if the tractors in ditches with farmers clutching flasks of supposed brandy are anything to go by.

True. Though due to the way the duties work, expensive stuff (fine wines, whiskies) is actually cheaper than in many countries. It's very bougie.

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah whenever the Norwegian clients are over for meetings they will not leave without going on a pub crawl because they get the proper experience here.

gently caress yes, it's so much fun having a pint like it's normal. In Norway if you go out and drink beer in the middle of the week you will be considered an alcoholic. Then again, in the weekend when you drink, you DRINK. So there's that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I like mountains and nature and wilderness so Norway seems like a good fit for me. I've been wanting to visit Lofoten for a while, it looks stunning.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It was Very Normal for him to start to walk away but then twitch back to shout GET BREXIT DONE like someone waking up from a nightmare shouting the last thing they saw

Oh, he can't wake up...

:unsmigghh:

Daddy! Daddy please save me! :gonk:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

gently caress yes, it's so much fun having a pint like it's normal. In Norway if you go out and drink beer in the middle of the week you will be considered an alcoholic. Then again, in the weekend when you drink, you DRINK. So there's that.

Last time I was out drinking in England the locals had no problem pouring down every bit of alcohol they could get their hands on during weekends. They were god drat lightweights though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Aphex- posted:

I like mountains and nature and wilderness so Norway seems like a good fit for me. I've been wanting to visit Lofoten for a while, it looks stunning.

It looks fantastic but it's full of icky nordlendinger :yikes:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

That's just Big Mike 'The Gove' showing off his dance moves. You wish you could move like him, but your endoskeleton prevents it :smug:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Despite being firmly in old school Labour territory, the local radio station that plays in my office has been shilling hard for the Tories lately. Today they lead with the Tories complaining to Ofcom, making it sound like Channel 4 had done something wrong. Earlier in the week they were hammering the Corbyn antisemitism lines every hour, even during the trade leak story.

John Oliver did a bit a while back about US local TV news & Radio stations all across the country using identical scripts with Republican talking points. I'm starting to wonder if we have the same issue.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Aphex- posted:

Lofoten isn't bad and blessedly free of loving søringkuker.

But the inland parts are good too, take my word for it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867255

TheRat posted:

Last time I was out drinking in England the locals had no problem pouring down every bit of alcohol they could get their hands on during weekends. They were god drat lightweights though.

Yeah, and they really can't stand is akevitt. But really, these days I get put down by a half litre of whisky so who am I to diss. Guess I'm getting older.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1200387100568412161

tfw you blew too hard on the dogwhistle and want it back

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
only in the UK will someone go "I can only manage 10 shots of whiskey, I must be getting old"

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1l1XGiXgo0

CoolCab posted:

only in the UK will someone go "I can only manage 10 shots of whiskey, I must be getting old"
Meanwhile in Montana...

e: ^^ :lol:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Please can we not do the thing where we all catastrophise into a mass panic? I know the Tories winning would be poo poo and I know that many of us struggle with mental health because of the poo poo that capitalism puts us through. The signs are good, everything we're seeing in this election indicates that the Tories are on the back foot and that Labour are gaining ground. There is no way that the Tories will win more seats than they did in 2017.

As much as I am doing my best to remain upbeat on Labour's prospects until the election count is over, a) IF there's a Tory majority and/or a reduction in Labour seats you drat well better accept that I'm going to catastrophise then b) as much as remaining upbeat is good, don't really think delusion is all that useful either. There is absolutely a way the Tories win more seats than they did in 2019. It is a possibility. They could well return a majority Tory government. Not necessarily a big one, but one but big enough to get Brexit done and all the awful poo poo that follows. The media are being far less reserved in their contempt for Labour this time out and it adds up. I don't put much faith in the polling but this is the sort of election where 3 weeks out I'm not sure if Labour will get 200 seats or 300 seats.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TheRat posted:

It’s the drugs they’re all taking in the bathroom that does that

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1200392648667860992

Get 'em Jez

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

xtothez posted:

Despite being firmly in old school Labour territory, the local radio station that plays in my office has been shilling hard for the Tories lately. Today they lead with the Tories complaining to Ofcom, making it sound like Channel 4 had done something wrong. Earlier in the week they were hammering the Corbyn antisemitism lines every hour, even during the trade leak story.

John Oliver did a bit a while back about US local TV news & Radio stations all across the country using identical scripts with Republican talking points. I'm starting to wonder if we have the same issue.

This is basically the case over here already, local (commercial, certainly) radio basically doesn't exist any more. Global got rid of their local shows to be replaced by gurning oval office Roman Kemp, and almost all the news on most stations is provided by Sky News Radio.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

As much as I am doing my best to remain upbeat on Labour's prospects until the election count is over, a) IF there's a Tory majority and/or a reduction in Labour seats you drat well better accept that I'm going to catastrophise then b) as much as remaining upbeat is good, don't really think delusion is all that useful either. There is absolutely a way the Tories win more seats than they did in 2019. It is a possibility. They could well return a majority Tory government. Not necessarily a big one, but one but big enough to get Brexit done and all the awful poo poo that follows. The media are being far less reserved in their contempt for Labour this time out and it adds up. I don't put much faith in the polling but this is the sort of election where 3 weeks out I'm not sure if Labour will get 200 seats or 300 seats.

I don't think we're being delusional, I think the Tories are.

Also the Lib Dems. They'll never beat the squirrels.

Edit: Not trying to make fun of you here. I get the worry, and the feelings of despair. Hold on, comrade. This is going to turn out better than anyone in the establishment says, and they're loving terrified :getin:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1200392208823836674

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Excellent number for when the tweet was made too.

As an autistic person I approve :golfclap:

(Seriously whenever I look at a clock at 12:34 I sit up and pay attention, then chuckle at myself :D )

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol, people bought the i specifically because it wasn’t owned by murdoch or the daily mail

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I'm pessimistic but is there value in dwelling on it? if youre going down might as well go down swinging

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1200365860084428800

what the gently caress

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2019-11-28/train-named-after-plymouths-first-female-mp-nancy-astor/

quote:

The first female MP to take her seat in Parliament has had a train named after her ahead of a statue unveiling in Plymouth.

Lady Nancy Astor made history after she was elected to represent Plymouth Sutton in Parliament on November 28, 1919 - exactly 100 years ago.

Former prime minister Theresa May will reveal the statue of Lady Astor on Plymouth Hoe later today.

But ahead of the unveiling, a Great Western Railway (GWR) train was named after Lady Astor during a special ceremony at Paddington Station.

Following the naming ceremony at Paddington Station, invited guests - including several members of the Astor family - boarded the special Nancy Astor train service to Plymouth in time to attend the unveiling of a statue on the Hoe.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

Lol, people bought the i specifically because it wasn’t owned by murdoch or the daily mail

Don't worry, it will be rebranded to the 'me', which should dramatically boost sales among Viscounts Rothermere.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

forkboy84 posted:

I don't put much faith in the polling but this is the sort of election where 3 weeks out I'm not sure if Labour will get 200 seats or 300 seats.
if it's any consolation / confirmation, from a brief camouflaged chat to one of their activists / support staff, the Tories have no idea what the result will be either

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Only the front carriage has seats and windows, doncherknow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda reminds me of when Siemens, who supplied the Nazis, brought out an oven called the Zyklon, and at no point had someone say "hmmm, might want to rethink this one, boss."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is by far the most human Gove has ever appeared.

That's not even a joke. It's funny when people I don't like fall on their arse, but he handles it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dispatch_async posted:

quote:

Following the naming ceremony at Paddington Station, invited guests - including several members of the Astor family - boarded the special Nancy Astor train service to Plymouth in time to attend the unveiling of a statue on the Hoe.
Just call her a Nazi, there's no need to get sexist.

Tesseraction posted:

Kinda reminds me of when Siemens, who supplied the Nazis, brought out an oven called the Zyklon, and at no point had someone say "hmmm, might want to rethink this one, boss."
Did it have Shabbat mode?

(Also have they apologized for using concentration camp slave labor yet?)