Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

little munchkin posted:

I would rather listen to two awkward dorks giving actual analysis than hear mattais ramble on about primeval titan for the millionth time while emma handy communicates solely in memes with neither of them even acknowledging the match that is going on

They’re definitely not in the “some that worked” category for me, but I understand why some folks like their style. Also, Matthias is not going to be doing coverage for SCG after the PC, so after December 15th you’ll probably never see him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dehtraen posted:

They’re definitely not in the “some that worked” category for me, but I understand why some folks like their style. Also, Matthias is not going to be doing coverage for SCG after the PC, so after December 15th you’ll probably never see him again.

Good, I hate his stupid hats

Embrace the baldness

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Devor posted:

Good, I hate his stupid hats

Embrace the baldness

If you're talking about Hunt, he doesn't have the head shape for it, it's a deeply unfortunate combination.
Nominally, I'm an advocate of "shave it off" or "cosplay a friar," but I don't think either is a very good option forhim.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

the bald community demands Matthias Hunt stops wearing his hats

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I know opinions vary here but I'm thankful for the shakeup pioneer has brought to magic

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

plus now anytime something gets too hard to monetize and or balance we can start a new format and kill another old one

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

plus now anytime something gets too hard to monetize and or balance we can start a new format and kill another old one

I think it's a lot harder to get a new format off the ground than you make it seem.

-stat provided by all two dozen people in the US who play paper Brawl.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, swing and a miss, Google AMP:

The 1 Common Food 'Pioneer Woman' Ree Drummond Refuses to Eat or Serve, Says She 'Promptly Spit Out Into a Napkin'

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

LifeLynx posted:

I think it's a lot harder to get a new format off the ground than you make it seem.

No new format has been pushed like Pioneer since Modern though. Even with that I believe it took over 2 years for the first Modern PT and with Pioneer it's like 4 months.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Brawl is pretty much useless because the price of a Brawl deck and a budget big boy EDH is very close, so why would you play a more limited format when there is a much better, but still mainly casual alternative at the same price (and that wont rotate in a year)?
At the same time Pioneer to Modern difference is about 300$ at least and the less is said about Legacy the better.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I like Bryan Gottlieb and Riley Knight as casters. Bryan yelling "GET THAT OFF THE SCREEN" when the producer flashed up Oko at the last modern SCG was great

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
There’s some sort of Oko metaphor here.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have an important question, magic thread.

Why is revised third edition? Surely with alpha, beta, and unlimited it should be fourth.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rahu posted:

Why is revised third edition? Surely with alpha, beta, and unlimited it should be fourth.
Because Alpha cards aren't legal to play with unless your deck is all Alpha cards, due to the set being made with a worn-out die cutter. So the editions are:

Alpha/Beta (limited 1st edition)
Unlimited (second edition)
Revised (third edition).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rahu posted:

Alpha and beta are both "Limited Edition", just separate print runs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Because Alpha cards aren't legal to play with unless your deck is all Alpha cards, due to the set being made with a worn-out die cutter. So the editions are:

Alpha/Beta (limited 1st edition)
Unlimited (second edition)
Revised (third edition).

This hasn't been true in about 15 years I think.

But yeah, alpha beta are both "limited"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

Because Alpha cards aren't legal to play with unless your deck is all Alpha cards

or if you use opaque sleeves

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Then how do you tell what the cards are?

:rimshot:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

odiv posted:

Then how do you tell what the cards are?

Awful flashbacks to the Azorious Control player who double sleeved with the translucent "smokey" perfect fit sleeves, with the smoke face out so you could not tell what his board was from across the table without leaning over or picking up cards.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Owlbear Camus posted:

Awful flashbacks to the Azorious Control player who double sleeved with the translucent "smokey" perfect fit sleeves, with the smoke face out so you could not tell what his board was from across the table without leaning over or picking up cards.

Shooting more angles than a protractor over here

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize alpha and beta were the same edition, neato.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

or if you use opaque sleeves

I just checked and it's this one.

The rules as written no longer allow an all Alpha deck except where it also meets the above rule.

As I said before, I think this got changed about 10/15 years back.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Rahu posted:

I didn't realize alpha and beta were the same edition, neato.

There are a few differences, but only because of errors in Alpha, they were supposed to be the same set (and the same set as Unlimited).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Alpha was, to my understanding, not a worn-out die but simply the wrong one meant for playing cards.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The rules on Alpha cards have changed a bit over the years.

At one point it was up to the head judge if he wanted to allow alpha cards being played with non-alpha cards. But that was in like 2002 or thereabouts.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The Alpha corners look way better and I would have kept them.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Are any of you playing historic on Arena? I made a Simic Flash deck with Gilded Goose and Oko and have like a 90% win rate with it. My opponents are making a loooooot of questionable plays, so I don't know how well it reflects the power of the deck, but it's definitely fun as hell. I know there is a Arena thread, so I'll head over there instead if people aren't interested here, but I find this thread a lot more pleasant to read/post in than that one.

Historic Simic Flash
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
3 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
2 Quench (RNA) 48
4 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
2 Negate (M20) 69
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
3 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
2 Wildborn Preserver (ELD) 182
3 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Island (ANA) 62

I'm pretty happy with 20 lands (the decklist order is weird, there's a pair of Castle Vantress up near the top). Here's what I consider the core of the deck:
4 Once Upon a Time
4 Brineborn Cutthroat
4 Frilled Mystic
4 Gilded Goose
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns
8-10 or so counterspells at 1-3 mana
2-3 Nightpack Ambusher

I think the Spectral Sailors, the Wildborn Preservers, the Brazen Borrowers, and the exact mix of counterspells are all adjustable. Right now, I'm just making sure I have enough flash creatures to make Cutthroat good, but running more instants instead might be right. It's really hard to have the mana to activate the Preserver, but in the lategame it can be an easy 6/6, so sometimes you really like it. Borrower would be so much better if it could bounce your own stuff (obviously), and in a lot of matches I've found bounce to be a weak way to deal with opposing permanents. It's still a strong card, though, so I'll keep running it for a while. I think I'm happy with 3 Nightpack Ambusher. 4 Frilled Mystic feels right, and having 8 4 drops with only 20 lands is a bit rough, even with the geese. The thing I'm the least certain about is the mix of counterspells. I do like 4 Sinister Sabotage, but the rest I'm a lot less certain about. I think I should try 4 Quench instead of 2 Quench 2 Negate. The spell pierces are nice every once in a while. One of the issues is that you have no filtering, so if you draw the wrong counterspell, it's just stuck in your hand. Maybe I need Opts over the Spectral Sailors?

This deck feels so great to play. The combination of Oko and counterspells means you can handle a huge variety of threats. It's fast enough to put serious pressure on the opponent, but can also play a long, grindy game if necessary. The historic metagame/player base seems super undeveloped, though, so I can't really tell if this deck is real, or if it's just that no one is playing a real deck at all. Anyway, if you want to jam some historic and aren't sick of playing with Oko, this deck is sweet, and it doesn't use any cards from the historic pack, so if you don't want to buy that, you can still build this with booster pack-available cards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should post in the Arena thread when talking about Arena-specific formats, probably.

But other than that you should probably go all-in on an Oko Food deck or a flash deck instead of a confused hybrid.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I think for simic flash you absolutely 100% want 4x Brazen Borrower and 4x Nightpack Ambusher. Those are some of the most important cards in your deck. Oko and Goose seem out of place in this deck.

e: you also want 22 lands and 4 OuaT. 20 is low; you don't have the card draw or filtering to reliably hit your land drops. I'd only go with one castles too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kind of interesting that dozens of cards from the next set have leaked, including showcases of all of its mechanics and its marquee mythic, and it merited like a day of discussion at most.

now that devotion is a major theme in pioneer, I wonder what pushed THB uncommon or rare is gonna break the format until it gets banned

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

kind of interesting that dozens of cards from the next set have leaked, including showcases of all of its mechanics and its marquee mythic, and it merited like a day of discussion at most.

now that devotion is a major theme in pioneer, I wonder what pushed THB uncommon or rare is gonna break the format until it gets banned

Nykthos :shrek:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ShadeofBlue posted:

Are any of you playing historic on Arena? I made a Simic Flash deck with Gilded Goose and Oko and have like a 90% win rate with it.

Martin Juza had a simic tempo build with less flash and more Oko that was doing pretty well during the start of Eldraine, it was a lot stronger than the all the flash builds at the time. Oko is super strong and I think the people dismissing it in flash out of hand are wrong.

http://www.streamdecker.com/deck/MPLzqN9td

I agree you probably want 4 Brazen Borrower, especially if you are on Brineborn.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I suspect you would just be better off with the standard simic food build rather than mucking about with flash + Oko.

How useful Brazen Borrower is depends on how many enchantments there are to bounce + counter if you are playing flash.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Historic desperately needs a ban list because it's standard without a ban list plus a few random cards that are either absolutely unplayable or horrible and unfun. You just play a random green and blue pile of cards and it really doesn't matter how you play or what you do.

Also Wizards really needs to get off this insane hate-on they have for draw-go control.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suicidesteve posted:

Historic desperately needs a ban list because it's standard without a ban list plus a few random cards that are either absolutely unplayable or horrible and unfun. You just play a random green and blue pile of cards and it really doesn't matter how you play or what you do.

Also Wizards really needs to get off this insane hate-on they have for draw-go control.

Nah, answers exist in the card pool for the stuff that is too stupid in standard

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Hopefully it'll get better after next rotation when the 3 mana teferi rotates out. I'm playing (mostly) draw-go control now though and it's not bad. Simic/Izzet Flash are both draw-go and viable at the moment too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can play perfectly fine Azorious or Esper Draw-Go control right now, though, it’s just not very good in a meta where every creature is like completely insane

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

UW is pretty good in pioneer if you ignore field existing

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

ShaneB posted:

UW is pretty good in pioneer if you ignore field existing

Field is probably not long for pioneer either I'd imagine. UW control is still fun to play in standard; it's what I'm playing now and I'm enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

suicidesteve posted:

Haha no