Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

davidbix posted:

Was he wearing his mask? He's got a thing about always wearing his mask now.

No mask, just hanging out in the pizza place next to the venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

davidbix posted:

Yes, although in Necro's case it's generally believed that it's as close to brain worms as it can possibly be without involving literal worms. He would talk with fans about his interest in leftist politics all the time.

As for the Euro WWE affiliates on the Network: They have had the deals in place for years. Literally. But Vince always vetos it. I don't doubt that they bit the bullet for the Evolve show in large part because Fight for the Fallen was that night. But there probably is also legitimacy to it being in that weekend's PPV city/the WWE crew being able to help out being a deciding factor, as well. It looked more like a professional, WWE product that WWN doing it on their own and sending it to WWE would be, I'm sure of that.

You could tell WWE did a lot for that Evolve show because the stream actually worked.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

Necro’s brain is pretty much mush. He talks like an american version of MMA fighter and definitely brain mashed guy James Thompson. Getting punched in the mouth all weekend is bad for you.
Getting suplexed off the ring apron headfirst onto concrete didn't really help things either, and to this day I'm still amazed he even finished the match, never mind having a career after that while still taking even more dumb bumps and somehow never ending up in a wheelchair.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Necro got like 10 concussions just in the Guerilla Warfare match against Super Dragon and the finish was this gem of a bump:

https://twitter.com/GlobalForceGold/status/1093779715696050176?s=19

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I've seen a lot of Jake Lander lately so let me just say: I enjoy Jake Lander.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Deathlove posted:

I feel like I've seen a lot of Jake Lander lately so let me just say: I enjoy Jake Lander.

Friday at at Freelance he stole the show in the opener. Oozing with charisma.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pinche Rudo posted:

Necro got like 10 concussions just in the Guerilla Warfare match against Super Dragon and the finish was this gem of a bump:

https://twitter.com/GlobalForceGold/status/1093779715696050176?s=19

I was really disheartened by Necro becoming a chud until I heard Erick Stevens explain the extent to which he was an insane person who would take any bump asked of him without question. It still sucks, but his brain is pudding now so of course he supports Trump.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

that match was cool

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'd be shocked if Necro wasn't in middle stage dementia by the time he's 60

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

I'd be shocked if Necro wasn't in middle stage dementia by the time he's 60

You might be generous in assuming his life will last that long

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hes headed back to Japan so he may have a few more years bashed out of him.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Hes headed back to Japan so he may have a few more years bashed out of him.

He'll either live forever or become the exception that proves the "deathmatch wrestling is way safer than strong-style" rule.

Although as I type that, I wonder how many of the suicides in the last few years around that scene are CTE-related? Hrm.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Friday at at Freelance he stole the show in the opener. Oozing with charisma.

:coal: https://twitter.com/JoeAlonzoJr/status/1198285901719359488

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deathlove posted:

He'll either live forever or become the exception that proves the "deathmatch wrestling is way safer than strong-style" rule.

Although as I type that, I wonder how many of the suicides in the last few years around that scene are CTE-related? Hrm.

I feel like there's an overcorrection happening since Moxley/Omega where people are going way too far acting like deathmatches aren't dangerous. Certainly scraping your back with barbwire is less dangerous than doing a diving headbutt or landing on mouse traps is less dangerous than taking an unprotected chair shot. But I think people are going a little over the top in defending the "safety" of death matches. A lot of the theatrics might be safer than they appear and its good to point out how dangerous "regular" wrestling is. But deathmatches by their nature encourage wrestlers to up the ante and do really stupid and dangerous poo poo. And yeah, that often includes stuff like unprotected chair shots and stiff punches and other head trauma to prove how tough the wrestlers are. Necro was big on that from what I saw.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Deathlove posted:

JC Bailey and Brain Damage both come to mind.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I absolutely would not argue that death match wrestling is safer. Just that death match wrestling can be safe if it wants to be and that your average death match and your average straight wrestling match are equally as dangerous.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
AIW is running a show called Baby it's 2 Cold Outside with 2 cold scorpio on the show.

The name alone tempts me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

based on the shows i've watched for the past few months, i'm fairly confident matthew justice is looking to take the necro career path. that man loves himself a chair shot

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I absolutely would not argue that death match wrestling is safer. Just that death match wrestling can be safe if it wants to be and that your average death match and your average straight wrestling match are equally as dangerous.

I think a random, built up deathmatch like Omega/Moxley is probably in theory as safe as any other match because its gonna be gimmicked and controlled in the same way a cage or ladder or any big built up match would be. It comes down to what kind of spots they decide to do and you can decide to do a very reckless and dangerous spot on a ladder or cage match as easily as you could in a death match.

Where I think its an obvious problem is with something like Tournament of Death where having a ton of talent doing a ton of contextless death matches just encourages them to try and one up each other and do the craziest poo poo to stand out. Especially since a lot of those guys are pretty limited and do death matches pretty exclusively so they're trying to one up themselves as well. Necro was in a never ending cycle of proving how tough he was and how many shots he could take.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Necro had a spot where he and someone else would sit down and trade punches to the face. hard. it was the dumbest and coolest thing I've ever seen.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Early/mid 2000's Tournament of Deaths and King of the Deathmatches had some amazingly dumb, unprotected poo poo that in hindsight I don't think anyone even relatively big-time in deathmatch wrestling would do anymore. I remember stuff like Necro just chucking a VCR out of the ring and into the back of Toby Klein's head and stuff.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It depends if you're Masashi Takeda chain wrestling in between light tube spots or if you're Jun Kasai jumping off the Korakuen Hall balcony.

The thing with the Kenny/Moxley match getting handwringing about worker safety was that Kenny was probably safer doing gimmicky deathmatch spots than he was trading dumb neckdrops with Naito or Ibushi in matches that Big Dave and almost everyone else loved.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bushmeister posted:

Early/mid 2000's Tournament of Deaths and King of the Deathmatches had some amazingly dumb, unprotected poo poo that in hindsight I don't think anyone even relatively big-time in deathmatch wrestling would do anymore. I remember stuff like Necro just chucking a VCR out of the ring and into the back of Toby Klein's head and stuff.

there's a reason most of those guys are retired, dead, crippled or some combination of the three.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

coconono posted:

Necro had a spot where he and someone else would sit down and trade punches to the face. hard. it was the dumbest and coolest thing I've ever seen.

:haibrow:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bushmeister posted:

Toby Klein is someone I definitely remember enjoying a lot back in that era. I should really go back to the early/mid 00s death match scene sometime and see if I still get any pleasure from watching that poo poo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Necro Butcher Ichiban

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

in tyool 2019, why choose anything but death?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

forkboy84 posted:

Toby Klein is someone I definitely remember enjoying a lot back in that era. I should really go back to the early/mid 00s death match scene sometime and see if I still get any pleasure from watching that poo poo.

The spectacle of a man getting tossed through a light tube log cabin is timeless, so there's at least that. There are some good, violent brawls in there. Lot of poo poo too though. gently caress me if I'm ever gonna go back to watch an Ian Rotten match lol how did we ever collectively give a rat's rear end about that fucker.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

coconono posted:

Strikes are old hat. Staples are the new hot thing.

https://i.imgur.com/bJWrxtD.gifv

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

For real though if I had to pick between getting a real punch in the face or a real staple, I'm picking the staple every time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's the thing with staples. They look nasty while having a low chance of actually doing permanent damage. I always liked when they stapled a dollar to the other guys head so you can really see it stuck there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

You also need to think about the other aspects of a stapler spot, though. Did the person who loaded it do so with clean hands? Has it been used on anyone else to draw blood? How has it been stored? Were the same staples in the gun the last time it was used?

It seems simple on the surface but I feel like there are a dozen different ways to get a gross infection if something went wrong along the way.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Getting stapled is one thing. Removing staples is goddamned awful.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’ve rolled around in broke glass, I’ve been tear gassed, but getting punched sucks the worst imo.

The closest I’ve been to getting stapled was stabbed by a #2 pencil in the hand. That was actually kinda funny. The tip broke off and I’ve had graphite lodged in my hand for over 20 years. I ended up taking a baseball bat to the guy that did it. Got the cops called on me and everything.

Anyway, getting punched sucks and I don’t recommend it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

Anyway, getting punched sucks and I don’t recommend it.

Can confirm that getting punched absolutely sucks.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Getting punched in the face was worse than when I got hit by a car on my bike

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Dont let any one wack you with a Singapore cane either. shits is awful.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Whenever I think about punching I just image Pettis' hand shattering when it collided with Ferguson's face. So I think punching someone sucks just as hard as being punched!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Punching is like fighting in that its this magical thing you think about when you're young because tv and movies have made it look so skilled and awesome and graceful. And then like some people actually get in a fight and all that romanticism and magic loving disappears and you realize it loving sucks.

Or your brain breaks and you decide its fun and you want to do it for the rest of your life.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Don't throw punches, clinch and throw elbows and knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PACO :woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop: