Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flayer posted:

Of course the police were justified in shooting this guy, he was in the middle of committing a terrorist attack. I can't believe there are people in this thread having a pop at the police barely minutes after they stopped a terrorist clearly aiming to kill random innocent people.

Taking down fighty guys with knives without killing them is normal and expected for the British police. It's only the fact that he faked having a bomb vest that changes the calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Where have I ever said “if a cop feels their life is threatened”?! Simply feeling threatened is not an excuse which is why it’s an absolute disgrace the cop that tasered the race relations Bristol guy in the face kept her job.

I’ve said when someone has a knife.

Do you only ever turn up in threads because you want to wank to cops killing people?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Glad the police finally worked out a way to stop a man with a knife, they’ve been powerless to do so until now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have the cops ever found someone wearing an actual bomb vest or have they all been fake?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Its possible to train your police force to shoot to disable and has the added benefit that the cops are significantly less likely to put a bullet into an innocent bystander.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

so which news outlets will be playing on peoples ignorance and conflating this sort of thing with shoot to kill over the next few days

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Flayer posted:

Of course the police were justified in shooting this guy, he was in the middle of committing a terrorist attack. I can't believe there are people in this thread having a pop at the police barely minutes after they stopped a terrorist clearly aiming to kill random innocent people.

The public had already stopped the attacker, not the police.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Where have I ever said “if a cop feels their life is threatened”?! Simply feeling threatened is not an excuse which is why it’s an absolute disgrace the cop that tasered the race relations Bristol guy in the face kept her job.

I’ve said when someone has a knife.

so if I'm a Met copper with an MP5 and a bulletproof vest on I can blow someone away the minute they pull out a flick knife?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Its possible to train your police force to shoot to disable and has the added benefit that the cops are significantly less likely to put a bullet into an innocent bystander.

Yet another loonie leftie idea to put more people on the dole!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Random Integer posted:

"shooting to disable" is a fallacy, life isn't a movie. Shoot to kill or don't shoot at all.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Remember police put out false information in the wake of events like these to justify the use of guns, often times it ends up being bollocks. Guy could have had a fake vest on, cop could have just shat it when he saw the guy try to get up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe the cops could show up with some of that body armour and riot equipment they only wheel out for beating up protestors with.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

NZAmoeba posted:

Yes? Police frequently us a shield as their symbol/badge. A shield is meant to take the blow to protect the person behind. If you have a shield that refuses to be put in danger, you have a pretty useless shield.

Cops being more interested in protecting themselves is how you get massive abuses of power and a victimised citizenry

I’d rather protect my human shield than the person I’m using the shield to protect myself from. The shield is doing a job and not offensive, the offender is putting that shield in that position. If one of them is going to get hurt I would rather it not be the shield and want to give the shield all the equipment and training in the world to deescalate so no one gets hurt, but if that’s not possible then it’s on the offender.

And I can assure you guys, arm me with a marker pen and put any 3 of you with me in a ring, your getting marked up significantly on exposed skin before you can subdue me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Flayer posted:

"shooting to disable" is a fallacy. Shoot to kill or don't shoot at all.

ok I choose option 2

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Eh, I seem to remember 'shoot to wound' being severely overhyped. Even 'safe' areas to shoot someone aren't especially safe. If they don't have a gun, then you can use either a Taser or your stab-proof armour and big stick. That definitely won't cause any collateral damage.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Taking down fighty guys with knives without killing them is normal and expected for the British police. It's only the fact that he faked having a bomb vest that changes the calculus.

This is pretty much it.

There was a load of traffic including double decker buses just a few feet away from the guy. They wouldn't have been able to evacuate the area. I thought they reacted to something like a bomb by the way they all ran the first time I watched it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 29, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I’d rather protect my human shield than the person I’m using the shield to protect myself from. The shield is doing a job and not offensive, the offender is putting that shield in that position. If one of them is going to get hurt I would rather it not be the shield and want to give the shield all the equipment and training in the world to deescalate so no one gets hurt, but if that’s not possible then it’s on the offender.

And I can assure you guys, arm me with a marker pen and put any 3 of you with me in a ring, your getting marked up significantly on exposed skin before you can subdue me.

man I know it's been a while since I was in London but I don't remember anyone putting up boxing rings on the pavement by London Bridge

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

bullets aren't 100% either just fyi

better start arming the police with flamethrowers straight out of Wolfenstein

Personally I want skull implants that explode when we hear a pass phrase a la Deus Ex.
And the Police have full access to the pass phrases.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Random Integer posted:

From everything I’ve ever read in regards to this, it simply does not work sadly and is pure fantasy bought about by Hollywood movies depreciation of what shooting someone actually looks like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you take the position that crime is a social problem, which you should, then the duty of the police is as much to the criminal as to everyone else, the criminal has a right to a trial and just generally not to be arbitrarily executed because the police don't want to get hurt.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Gonzo McFee posted:

Remember police put out false information in the wake of events like these to justify the use of guns, often times it ends up being bollocks. Guy could have had a fake vest on, cop could have just shat it when he saw the guy try to get up.
There are videos of this incident from multiple different angles, you can see exactly what happened. Members of the public had disarmed the attacked and were holding him down, the police came along to deal with it and the man tried to get up in what looked like an attempt to go after the last civilian to get off him and the police shot the attacker while backing off slowly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

willie_dee posted:

I have no idea what you are on about but if this happens I want to see it :heysexy:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I like how for every other job we judge a person or workforce based on whether or not they can fulfill the job requirements but the second its something for rich people or police we have all have to go on this deeply empathetic journey and understand that its unreasonable to expect professionals to be better at a task than random passers-by

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Random Integer posted:

No they aren’t. Shooting someone in the leg is harder than shooting them in the torso and if you miss you’ve got a bullet flying about.

If you want to shoot to disable just use a taser.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Ah yes or how about some other magical martial art like Akido training and chakra magic.

Give me a knife and give you all of those things and you try and arrest me. The risk to your life is significant. Rubber bullets and tasers very very often do not work.

Or are you of the opinions we should be asking police officers to openly and willingly sacrifice their lives to arrest people that are trying to kill them?

I'll see you in the car park at midnight.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Err they did shoot to disable. The guy is clearly alive on videos after that original shot and everyone backs away presumably because they think there’s a bomb.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

willie_dee posted:

lmao sit the gently caress down

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

willie_dee posted:

Give me a knife and give you all of those things and you try and arrest me. The risk to your life is significant. Rubber bullets and tasers very very often do not work.

Of course, rubber bullets are harmless and have never killed anyone.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chile-protests/chiles-police-chief-suspends-use-of-rubber-bullets-idUSKBN1XU09J

quote:

Director General Mario Rozas said he had sought clarification from the manufacturer, and commissioned independent studies from within and outside of Chile, in a statement tweeted by police.

He said from now on, as a "prudent" measure the bullets could only be used, along with firearms, "as an extreme measure and exclusively for self-defense, when there is imminent danger of death."

Many protesters say they have been blinded by rubber bullets and tear gas canisters. Patricio Acosta, president of Red Cross Chile, said more people had lost the use of an eye in the past three weeks than in the last 20 years.

One weird tip for fashy police: aim for their lefty loving eyes

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

The public had already stopped the attacker, not the police.

And once they saw the vest the police told everyone to back away and the attacker tried to take the final guy hostage with a leglock. You can see this in the videos.

"ye but wait tho" isn't really an option when the dude potentially rigged to explode is trying to grab members of the public.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

willie_dee posted:

but if that’s not possible then it’s on the offender.

oh so now it's the guy's fault he got shot

please, please, look at what you are saying. Ask yourself why you are privileging the lives of police officers over others. Ask yourself why your posts are attracting so much negative attention. Change your mind, it is wrong.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do you only ever turn up in threads because you want to wank to cops killing people?

I read the thread religiously, it’s where I get my news and know who to follow on Twitter for good takes (or see bad takes torn apart), I only post when it’s a subject I know I’m going to be schooled on and disagreed with so I can learn or at least get other opinions.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flayer posted:

There are videos of this incident from multiple different angles, you can see exactly what happened. Members of the public had disarmed the attacked and were holding him down, the police came along to deal with it and the man tried to get up in what looked like an attempt to go after the last civilian to get off him and the police shot the attacker while backing off slowly.

lmao, this is pure fantasy. To be it looks like they freaked out from seeing a bomb vest, but you dont need to wank of the coppers this hard dude.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/29/michael-gove-political-horror-show-chills-soul-stormzy

quote:

Beneath the remains of Chernobyl’s reactor No 4, there is a gigantic accumulation of radioactive material known as the “elephant’s foot”. It is the most toxic object on the face of the planet. The elephant’s foot is not itself sick, is not itself dying, but if you spend more than a couple of minutes in its presence, you yourself will become sick and die.

And this is how I feel about Gove, about the profane embarrassment and dread that he emanates. No, the genre of Michael Gove is not comedy. The genre of Michael Gove is existential horror.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Superterranean posted:

please, please, look at what you are saying. Ask yourself why you are privileging the lives of police officers over others. Ask yourself why your posts are attracting so much negative attention. Change your mind, it is wrong.

Hahaha

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

If you take the position that crime is a social problem, which you should, then the duty of the police is as much to the criminal as to everyone else, the criminal has a right to a trial and just generally not to be arbitrarily executed because the police don't want to get hurt.

They were prying a bloke right off him though and there were other people extremely close by.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

TheRat posted:

lmao, this is pure fantasy. To be it looks like they freaked out from seeing a bomb vest, but you dont need to wank of the coppers this hard dude.
What about it is a fantasy? The videos are all over Twitter.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Superterranean posted:

That’s why I’m here posting and not some right wing hell hole like OcUK Forums debate section or some poo poo.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Superterranean posted:

I mean, I'm not glad he got shot but come on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

Err they did shoot to disable. The guy is clearly alive on videos after that original shot and everyone backs away presumably because they think there’s a bomb.

you don't die instantly unless you get shot through the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Flayer posted:

Dude, the MET lie. They'll always lie.