Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Yoshi could eat Mario but he doesn't. Slavery is a choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Counterpoint: at least 1 of the actual SMW worlds require you to sacrifice a Yoshi to get to the secret level (Cheese Bridge? The secret level you unlock is IIRC the only level in the game with Torpedo Teds)

Counter-counterpoint: Mario games sometimes have bad design choices, and that's one of them. Kaizo Mario games are designed around identifying these bad design choices and repeating them ad infinitum

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Counterpoint: at least 1 of the actual SMW worlds require you to sacrifice a Yoshi to get to the secret level (Cheese Bridge? The secret level you unlock is IIRC the only level in the game with Torpedo Teds)

You can also do that with the cape, that's how i used to do it. It never occurred to me to betray my friend

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yoshi definitely didn't think this about Baby Mario

And this is why Yoshi loses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Super Mario Bros U sucks rear end. Not like, sucks rear end "for a mario game" but just in general, it's an obnoxious unfun game with lovely controls and trollish level design and it also looks inexcusably cheap for a first party nintendo title.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Celeste looks like poo poo. Except when she is talking to people. The rest of the time the game looks like garbage. They should have had Yacht Club Games do the pixel art.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

New Super Mario Bros U sucks rear end. Not like, sucks rear end "for a mario game" but just in general, it's an obnoxious unfun game with lovely controls and trollish level design and it also looks inexcusably cheap for a first party nintendo title.

And I thought I was the only one who thought the game controls like rear end

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tuo posted:

And I thought I was the only one who thought the game controls like rear end

You tried to play Mario with your... tongue :confused:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

The New series are all incredibly miserable games and probably one of the worst things Nintendo has ever created

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

You tried to play Mario with your... tongue :confused:

There's a different way?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
After three years No Man's Sky is actually a pretty good game.
Shame about the dev lead telling all those stupid lies and Sony not just letting him admit it was in early access at launch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lodin posted:

Shame about the dev lead telling all those stupid lies and Sony not just letting him admit it was in early access at launch.

Is there more to do than just fly around and look at stuff?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The most striking thing was when I got to the teleporting base those two alien dudes used to chill in. Now it's turned into the hub from Destiny with a bunch of other aliens hanging out and other players farting about. There's also some terminal there that seems to hand out generated missions with other players.
Every time I start up that game again after six months or so there's always a ton of new poo poo to discover. Obviously at its base it's the same thing but it really has been expanded on and is a shitton more user friendly.

Also, it seems like you can tame and ride on animals now. :3:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Okay but do you still have to spend half your time managing your inventory and refueling all your poo poo? Cause as long as that's still the case it's a bad game no matter how much they add to it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They have made a bunch of QoL changes over the years so it's not nearly as bad. There's now shortcuts via the D-pad to refuel and the resources you need are all over the place. Pretty early on you also get the ability to teleport poo poo to your ship so there's less of a hassle with that. Also, mining and digging in general has been sped up a huge amount. Basically people complained about the constant grind and they listened.
One of my favourite changes is learning languages. You still have the mysterious pillars strewn about planets but instead of relying on them you can just stop by a station and speak to the aliens hanging out there. Each of them will teach you a word for free so it's suddenly super quick.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I always thought that game sounded rad, didn't realize it's available for ps4.

Huh...huh.

:getin:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if you want a low-key NMS-lite that inexplicably has star fox, star link is being offloaded for &9 basically everywhere today

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does that include the Switch version? It's a great little game either way but the Star Fox stuff really nails it. Pretty sure I played as Fox for 90% of that game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I always thought that game sounded rad, didn't realize it's available for ps4.

Huh...huh.

:getin:

It's also a PSVR game, and they've been patching it for performance since that dropped a few months ago.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lodin posted:

Does that include the Switch version? It's a great little game either way but the Star Fox stuff really nails it. Pretty sure I played as Fox for 90% of that game.

yeah. literal stacks of the Switch starter set with all the toys at Best Buy for $10

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is better :colbert:

it's also 50% off on Steam right now. buy it!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

It's also a PSVR game, and they've been patching it for performance since that dropped a few months ago.

I wish they’d add the controller support from the PSVR version to the PC VR version, the motion controls aren’t terrible but I’d rather just use a controller.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno how far I am through Outer Worlds, maybe halfway, but I have to jump on the "it's not that good" bandwagon. None of the big choices amount to anything more than a vendor sell price adjustment, there's literally 5 types of enemy so far (dog, lizard, giant bug, human, robot) and I'm playing on hard, without grinding, and am just overpowered as gently caress at this point.

Disco Elysium was definitely the better game of the 2.

I think a lot of people are "meh" on OW. I loved it but I can't stop chugging Obsidian's dick.

The most atomically lovely take on OW has to be, "they should let you decide for yourself if the corporations are evil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3TspF3BGo as if there is literally even a single shred of question about that fact to make it debatable. You can still side with the corporations and everything for fucks sake.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

nice you linked to a youtube video of a scrotum wearing glasses

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Savage For The Winjun posted:

nice you linked to a youtube video of a scrotum wearing glasses

yeah i thought posting shock images was a bannable offense?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lodin posted:

Unpopular Opinion: I preferred the original game with the fixes after about a month of release. I don't bother reading articles or waste my time watching interviews getting hyped about stuff. I went into it fresh and only expecting a pretty big universe.

There's a special feeling of peaceful, calming, loneliness that the first few versions convey, that I've only ever felt while playing Mirror Moon EP and Proteus. And the world generator seemed to be actually more varied rather than just "single biome planet based on earth biome number 223", the topology was more interesting and alien and the wildlife seemed... wild.

I feel sorry people were disappointed but I feel really disappointed with what has happened to the game, to be quite honest. And because my version's PS4 I can't really get at the earlier versions. oh well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ring fit adventure continues to be drat brilliant

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

I don't bother reading articles or waste my time watching interviews getting hyped about stuff. I went into it fresh and only expecting a pretty big universe.

There's a special feeling of peaceful, calming, loneliness that the first few versions convey, that I've only ever felt while playing Mirror Moon EP and Proteus. And the world generator seemed to be actually more varied rather than just "single biome planet based on earth biome number 223", the topology was more interesting and alien and the wildlife seemed... wild.

I feel sorry people were disappointed but I feel really disappointed with what has happened to the game, to be quite honest. And because my version's PS4 I can't really get at the earlier versions. oh well.
Once actual gameplay trailers started popping up I quickly became aware that the launch stuff was bullshit. Despite this it still looked exactly like my jam so I went in with very low expectations. I ended up putting around fifty hours into it and had a great chill time.

While I do feel that there's less mystery and wonder to the game these days I still don't feel the updated version is in any way a worse game.

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is better :colbert:
Never heard of it but it's going in my wishlist. Thanks for the mention.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

alexandriao posted:

And because my version's PS4 I can't really get at the earlier versions. oh well.

Can you not just uninstall/reinstall it and not patch it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dross posted:

I’m pretty sure the version you download is the current version.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m pretty sure the version you download is the current version.

Assuming that’s how you get it, sure. I have a hard copy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dross posted:

Assuming that’s how you get it, sure. I have a hard copy.

I have a hard copy of NMS too, but unless there's a way to disconnect from PSN without impacting system updates or online muliplayer, the drat game updates automajically anyway.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Lodin posted:

Once actual gameplay trailers started popping up I quickly became aware that the launch stuff was bullshit. Despite this it still looked exactly like my jam so I went in with very low expectations. I ended up putting around fifty hours into it and had a great chill time.

While I do feel that there's less mystery and wonder to the game these days I still don't feel the updated version is in any way a worse game.
Never heard of it but it's going in my wishlist. Thanks for the mention.

As you get older and more jaded, you'll find, sadly, that mystery and wonder tend to wither away. I think this is why olds like me go back to PC games like Thief or Quake 2 or the original Halflife. Simpler times; less In-App Purchases or Season Passes.

Bonus old man feature; because I haven't played these games for at least five years, I forget how most of the levels work and it's almost like a new game, but with shittier graphics.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 1, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dross posted:

I said I'd like one a few versions after the disc version :p

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

is pepsi ok posted:

Okay but do you still have to spend half your time managing your inventory and refueling all your poo poo? Cause as long as that's still the case it's a bad game no matter how much they add to it.

okay, so forget all the crazy additions everybody's talking about, literally the best thing the devs ever did for this game was in the most recent update where they increased the inventory stack limits an insane degree

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tango alpha delta posted:

As you get older and more jaded, you'll find, sadly, that mystery and wonder tend to wither away. I think this is why olds like me go back to PC games like Thief or Quake 2 or the original Halflife. Simpler times; less In-App Purchases or Season Passes.

Bonus old man feature; because I haven't played these games for at least five years, I forget how most of the levels work and it's almost like a new game, but with shittier graphics.

i played xenogears this year for the first time since i was 15 and it was the best drat game i played all year i tell you what. plus, it'd been so long the only plot beats i remembered were the intro and the shawshank redemption part

it also had hard sci fi poo poo like particle accelerators, there's a thing on the world map that's basically just the LHC, but it was translated as a "mass driver" because particle accelerators weren't part of the common vernacular in 97

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 1, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Pyrus Malus posted:

okay, so forget all the crazy additions everybody's talking about, literally the best thing the devs ever did for this game was in the most recent update where they increased the inventory stack limits an insane degree

Everyone knows that upgrading your inventory size is the most powerful upgrade you can get in any game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Olaf The Stout posted:

Everyone knows that upgrading your inventory size is the most powerful upgrade you can get in any game.

No, in some games you can upgrade basic movement speed

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

First get the permanent XP boost so you can get both of those faster :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
NMS was an exercise in determining whether procgen could, alone, make a game interesting and the answer was a big ol' nope

The game is fixed now but it's still really only fun to fire up, fly around a bit and go "neat!" and then exit.

edit: NMS was the worst example in recent memory of the goon rhetoric "all I wanted this game to be was *asinine lame thing that no normal person would ever want* and I'm loving it!!!"