Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's simply a specific bug with AVI files that cause plex to fall over, you're not alone in this.
It's some combination of the server/player thinking the player can play the content, whereas it's not the case. Whether this is specific codecs, stream types, etc, I don't think anyone knows.
Stick it in another wrapper and the same video stream gets analysed/detected properly and everything works as intended.

Playing AVI files back in the day was often buggy when you had a hardware player, as weird undocumented limitations existed. Too many b-frames. Resolution not a multiple of 16. Not a multiple of 16 with a specific ratio. Too few key frames, whatever.
I can't help but think specific encodes are doing something like the above and certain players are making broken assumptions on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks so much but I followed these steps to a T and it's not making them separate files. It just keeps making one huge MKV file with all the videos jammed in it.

edit: I am not being lazy. I am looking all over the program for a way for it to spit out the files separately. The only options I see are to separate by MB and other useless stuff:

I did a quick screen record. Follow these steps, should spit out the MKVs no problem. Need to make sure when all jobs are added in the queue, you start the queue from the job queue.

https://i.imgur.com/491OYcq.mp4

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

I did a quick screen record. Follow these steps, should spit out the MKVs no problem. Need to make sure when all jobs are added in the queue, you start the queue from the job queue.

https://i.imgur.com/491OYcq.mp4

You're amazing. Thank you so much!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You're amazing. Thank you so much!

Np! Much easier just to record my screen doing the process instead of having to explain it by typing it out lol.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
My server 1st started off as FreeNAS. I then scrapped that and went to Ubuntu server. I imported my pool, re did everything, needless to say my media is not organized to my liking, I started with 8TB, I just bought 8 more TB and am going to redo my server from scratch after backing up my media.

question is https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/
the answer? will I have to re auth every device that uses my server again?

my folder hierarchy will be in order this time, it was before, but going from jails to Ubuntu server I half assed it and just adapted to downloading to multiple areas in my system. it got messy

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

derk posted:

My server 1st started off as FreeNAS. I then scrapped that and went to Ubuntu server. I imported my pool, re did everything, needless to say my media is not organized to my liking, I started with 8TB, I just bought 8 more TB and am going to redo my server from scratch after backing up my media.

question is https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/
the answer? will I have to re auth every device that uses my server again?

my folder hierarchy will be in order this time, it was before, but going from jails to Ubuntu server I half assed it and just adapted to downloading to multiple areas in my system. it got messy

That procedure should basically clone your installation, so media metadata and user access (which is by account, not device) should remain the same.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone had issues with Plex grabbing the wrong poster for movies lately? I'm not sure what changed but I've had to manually adjust posters a dozen times in the past week, its getting annoying. It's always picking fanart or something with no movie name on the poster itself. If I edit the poster and look at the other options, the correct one is usually the next option.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone had issues with Plex grabbing the wrong poster for movies lately? I'm not sure what changed but I've had to manually adjust posters a dozen times in the past week, its getting annoying. It's always picking fanart or something with no movie name on the poster itself. If I edit the poster and look at the other options, the correct one is usually the next option.

I believe this is due to some issues recently with TVDB?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

I believe this is due to some issues recently with TVDB?

Hmm I can't seem to google up anything on this but I'll keep digging. Frustrating, always something with tvdb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The tvdb stuff shouldn’t affect movies though. Maybe change from the plex scanner to the Tmdb one? Only issue with that is if you add a duplicate movie, it’ll list it twice from my experience. If you never do that, shouldn’t be any issues.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The tvdb stuff shouldn’t affect movies though. Maybe change from the plex scanner to the Tmdb one? Only issue with that is if you add a duplicate movie, it’ll list it twice from my experience. If you never do that, shouldn’t be any issues.

Yeah it's not duplicates. Some new movies I add it just picks some weird poster with no text on it so in my collection I have no idea what it is without clicking into it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm planning to buy my parents a ~14" Chromebook, have never owned one, and they like streaming from my Plex server (limited to 720p due to bandwidth). That's about all they do other than light web and email (no gaming). Is there anything I should avoid/look for and/or preferred brands/models so that web or native Plex will work?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah it's not duplicates. Some new movies I add it just picks some weird poster with no text on it so in my collection I have no idea what it is without clicking into it.

No I mean the issue with changing scanner over is if you have, say, The Terminator in your collection and you add it again with a different scanner (I do this for a variety of reasons) then it'll see it as two separate entries. You can presumably merge them or do a full library rescan if you don't have any custom stuff going on but it's something to note. In your case, I'd just change the scanner over to TMDB and it should fix your issues.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I'm planning to buy my parents a ~14" Chromebook, have never owned one, and they like streaming from my Plex server (limited to 720p due to bandwidth). That's about all they do other than light web and email (no gaming). Is there anything I should avoid/look for and/or preferred brands/models so that web or native Plex will work?

They'll just be using the Chrome browser to view it, right? Should be fine

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

No I mean the issue with changing scanner over is if you have, say, The Terminator in your collection and you add it again with a different scanner (I do this for a variety of reasons) then it'll see it as two separate entries. You can presumably merge them or do a full library rescan if you don't have any custom stuff going on but it's something to note. In your case, I'd just change the scanner over to TMDB and it should fix your issues.

Ahhhh I didn't even think of that, thanks. I'll see about swapping over when I get home.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Bonzo posted:

They'll just be using the Chrome browser to view it, right? Should be fine

Most likely, but I understand some models can have Android apps installed? I'm guessing that would include the Plex app, but if viewing in Chrome is better regardless of app install support the added cost wouldn't be worth it?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Atomizer posted:

That procedure should basically clone your installation, so media metadata and user access (which is by account, not device) should remain the same.

perfect, exactly what i was hoping it would do. i will just have to fix where plex looks for the media and re scan it, not a big deal, the user access is the bigger deal to me than the metadata itself, that can be gotten easily.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Basically anything that can run the desktop Chrome browser will work perfectly as a Plex client (because the server can transcode if necessary.) This includes every Chromebook I've ever used, especially the one I'm typing this on right now; Plex works exactly the same in Chrome on every device. Plus CBs will do the other stuff you mentioned.

Any CB should do, although I recommend a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and a decent quad-core CPU, plus a display of appropriate resolution (i.e. not a low res for a large display, so FHD for anything over ~12-13".) For example, the Acer 14 is still a very nice entry-level device, especially for the price (which is close to $200 new or there's at least one Warehouse Deal on Amazon for $170 which is a steal.)

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Most likely, but I understand some models can have Android apps installed? I'm guessing that would include the Plex app, but if viewing in Chrome is better regardless of app install support the added cost wouldn't be worth it?

Some CBs do indeed have support for Android and/or Linux apps, but there's no reason to be concerned about that when Plex is concerned; running the Android app is unnecessary when it works so well in the browser. I think technically if they wanted to sync converted versions to store them locally the app is required for that, but via the browser you can just download the original copy of the video files if that would suffice. And then of course if they don't do any of this then it's all moot.

derk posted:

perfect, exactly what i was hoping it would do. i will just have to fix where plex looks for the media and re scan it, not a big deal, the user access is the bigger deal to me than the metadata itself, that can be gotten easily.

When I wrote "metadata," by the way, I was referring specifically to user customizations (i.e. manual matches,) which are important at least to me because I've got a handful of files that weren't matched automatically.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Great, thank you!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For anyone who has external users, the Firestick 4K is at $25 on amazon this weekend and if you find they transcode video and it’s not a bandwidth issue then prod them to get one. Specifically the 4K rather than the regular. Codec support is excellent and I really dig mine as a bedroom stick.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have 4 movies stuck in the first 4 spots of Recently Added Movies. Looks like online there are ways to edit the XML file to change the added date since it's stuck in the future apparently, but I don't think I have the know how.

I guess there's also no way to remove something from my Plex library but also keep the actual files on my NAS? If I were to rescan them, then it should get ride of the issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I guess there's also no way to remove something from my Plex library but also keep the actual files on my NAS? If I were to rescan them, then it should get ride of the issue.

Move them into a folder that is outside of where Plex scans the library?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, just make a new folder. I keep an "Unsorted" folder on my drive pool to dump random stuff into that I don't want Plex to scrape, so that I can sort those files out and cut/paste them into whichever library folder at another time.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I apologize if this question has been asked before:

I have Plex setup on my desktop computer with all my media. I have a Samsung TV with a Sonos soundbar and sub. When I watch certain shows the music is crazy loud and I can barely hear the voices so I have to keep turning my TV up and down as necessary. I have tried to google the answer for this and I have seen others ask this question but I haven't really seen where there was an answer. From what I can tell it's something to do with converting audio. Is there a setting or something I can fix to fix this issue?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I apologize if this question has been asked before:

I have Plex setup on my desktop computer with all my media. I have a Samsung TV with a Sonos soundbar and sub. When I watch certain shows the music is crazy loud and I can barely hear the voices so I have to keep turning my TV up and down as necessary. I have tried to google the answer for this and I have seen others ask this question but I haven't really seen where there was an answer. From what I can tell it's something to do with converting audio. Is there a setting or something I can fix to fix this issue?

This is a common thing when multi-channel audio is mixed down to stereo.

Most soundbars have setting to help though that boosts low volume sounds and turns down high volume sounds to flatten things out a bit. It goes by many names... Dynamic compression, TrueVolume, , TrueSound, Compression, VolumeBoost, etc... Look for that option and turn it on.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

stevewm posted:

This is a common thing when multi-channel audio is mixed down to stereo.

Most soundbars have setting to help though that boosts low volume sounds and turns down high volume sounds to flatten things out a bit. It goes by many names... Dynamic compression, TrueVolume, , TrueSound, Compression, VolumeBoost, etc... Look for that option and turn it on.

I will take a look at that thanks!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

There's also a setting, in at least some of the clients (in my case I just verified this on the Android app) that I believe addresses this issue: Settings - Advanced - Audio - Audio boost

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

There's also a setting, in at least some of the clients (in my case I just verified this on the Android app) that I believe addresses this issue: Settings - Advanced - Audio - Audio boost

I'm assuming I should put it to large or huge

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I'm assuming I should put it to large or huge

Yes, try either or. If that doesn't work, you might have to find a way to force the audio to transcode. What are you using for Plex playback? Is it a built-in TV app? Because my brother has also has a Samsung Smart TV (with a soundbar attached as well) and the Plex app on that was pretty garbo, so I got him a Roku and there was an option to force 2.0 stereo sound in the Roku settings (not the Plex settings, the actual Roku device settings). Doing this made the Plex app on the Roku always request a transcoded 2.0 AAC audio stream from whatever he was watching.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I continue to have the same problem as last week. New movies get added to the library fine but it is selecting screenshots of the movie instead of actual poster images for the poster. If I manually edit the movie I can pick a poster and everything is fine. This all started a few weeks ago and confounds me, I can't seem to google any solutions either. I have checked the library settings and The Movie DB is listed as the top provider. I'm not sure why this started or how to address it. Anyone else run into this or can suggest a solution? Google is kinda useless and turns up a bunch of people who aren't naming things correctly which is definitely not the case here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Release notes for the latest beta include this:

quote:

(Library) Don’t add duplicate files to the PlayQueue. This could occur when a single file contains multiple episodes. (#1340)
(Library) Track watch status accross multiple episodes when they share the same underlying file. (#1340)

That's loving huge for anyone dealing with cartoons.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

So I continue to have the same problem as last week. New movies get added to the library fine but it is selecting screenshots of the movie instead of actual poster images for the poster. If I manually edit the movie I can pick a poster and everything is fine. This all started a few weeks ago and confounds me, I can't seem to google any solutions either. I have checked the library settings and The Movie DB is listed as the top provider. I'm not sure why this started or how to address it. Anyone else run into this or can suggest a solution? Google is kinda useless and turns up a bunch of people who aren't naming things correctly which is definitely not the case here.

Refresh all metadata? Remove the source and add again?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If anyone else has their albums shattered into pieces after the new plex music library thing takes effect, explicitly unmatch the problem albums and refresh metadata on them. Might help to switch to prefer embedded tags if you at least have artist/album tags set right, then switch prefer embedded tags off and refresh all metadata.

The bug seems to be that the matcher is matching tracks to different album releases (think UK vs US) within a musicbrainz release group. If you hit refresh all metadata on a pair of albums, it will keep trying to match the split albums as two different releases again, vs feeding it an unmatched pile of tracks will convince it to do the right thing.

The transition could have been better, but as a code contributor to beets.io and musicbrainz I understand how they missed these pitfalls.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I have 2 copies of the same CD. e.g. US Ryoko label with additional bonus tracks and a later pressing with different gains and no bonus tracks. There a ripped and in separate directories by artist and album name. Is there a viable way to show these as different in Plex without resorting to using your own embedded tags? Right now I just name the album differently with a distinguishing source in brackets.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Decairn posted:

I have 2 copies of the same CD. e.g. US Ryoko label with additional bonus tracks and a later pressing with different gains and no bonus tracks. There a ripped and in separate directories by artist and album name. Is there a viable way to show these as different in Plex without resorting to using your own embedded tags? Right now I just name the album differently with a distinguishing source in brackets.

In a perfect world, check musicbrainz.org, make sure both versions are in its release group, then use musicbrainz picard to tag it with specific release IDs and name them with the disambiguation in brackets. Example: https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/9a853cc7-537b-34c0-8501-168abb3792dd

I put "(Vertiphon 2017 Remaster)" after one copy and leave it off the other, and it properly splits them into different albums.

YMMV. Like TheTVDB, Plex does the "smartest" thing it can given datasources that are 100% volunteer-edited. Making sure your stuff is right in Musicbrainz and embedding mb_release tags is The Right Way To Do Things and should also carry across to other media players that use MB data.

Edit: if you're asking "will it keep these two directories as separate albums," the answer is "probably." There's a raging flame war going on in the official forums because only half of the documentation about how libraries are supposed to be organized got updated for the new music library system.

xarph fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 4, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

They rolled out their free movies stuff. Actually a lot of good genre stuff (evil dead, last house on the left, terminator, etc). Not bad to have more options as long as their main functionality doesn’t degrade.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Violator posted:

They rolled out their free movies stuff. Actually a lot of good genre stuff (evil dead, last house on the left, terminator, etc). Not bad to have more options as long as their main functionality doesn’t degrade.

It's like a video store went there and died. I love it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is Wheels on Meals deadass on there or is it mixing my movies into the lists somehow?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Violator posted:

I'm watching Red Dawn as I type this. So this isn't ad supported, huh. I thought it was gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are there any elegant solutions to auto pull in YouTube videos into Plex? I’m thinking I could rig something together with youtubeDL but I don’t see a reason to reinvent the wheel if I missed something. I fly pretty often and while YouTube premium does the trick I could likely get the same for free.