Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

There's a lot of things I don't like here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Goddamn, saw a nice one in Tampa today. Clapped out white GMC box truck with Sharpie-d signs reading, "Cubano Empenadas-$2.00", tread on one wheel delaminating, bouncing up and down at ten miles per hour, with a solid "clunk" evey five feet. As I thought to myself, "Don't buy anything off that truck", I noticed the driveshaft smacking the pavement and then the frame, again and again. Guess that explained the sound!

I live on a very short street leading to a major road. First turn off the highway going one direction, that kind of thing. Turning left is loving suicide, every couple weeks there'd be a crash and screaming. Imagine a cross-merging area, after going under a bridge, on surface streets with far lower speed limits, and turning left through all that. The city recently put a median up so you can't turn left anymore. Didn't stop the little Hyundai from trying two days ago. They cut the doors off that one. gently caress it, I'm moving soon. It's here:
left onto 49th from 95th in the wrong direction

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll bet those empenadas are delicious

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

I live on a very short street leading to a major road. First turn off the highway going one direction, that kind of thing. Turning left is loving suicide, every couple weeks there'd be a crash and screaming. Imagine a cross-merging area, after going under a bridge, on surface streets with far lower speed limits, and turning left through all that. The city recently put a median up so you can't turn left anymore. Didn't stop the little Hyundai from trying two days ago. They cut the doors off that one. gently caress it, I'm moving soon. It's here:
left onto 49th from 95th in the wrong direction

I don't feel like that's all that bad if you're properly careful. What's the speed limit on 49th? Edit: 40mph? Sheit. People just be dumb that's all. You do that turn in two steps, first to the center, then finish the left heading north.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 29, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I don't feel like that's all that bad if you're properly careful. What's the speed limit on 49th? Edit: 40mph? Sheit. People just be dumb that's all. You do that turn in two steps, first to the center, then finish the left heading north.

Limit is 40, everyone goes 50. Zero visibility to the left, mind the fences. It is dumb on dumber. Better option: go around to the light on 94th.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Limit is 40, everyone goes 50. Zero visibility to the left, mind the fences. It is dumb on dumber. Better option: go around to the light on 94th.

Ah yeah if there's no visibility that's a dumb move. I didn't check that part of streetview.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Goddamn, saw a nice one in Tampa today. Clapped out white GMC box truck with Sharpie-d signs reading, "Cubano Empenadas-$2.00", tread on one wheel delaminating, bouncing up and down at ten miles per hour, with a solid "clunk" evey five feet. As I thought to myself, "Don't buy anything off that truck", I noticed the driveshaft smacking the pavement and then the frame, again and again. Guess that explained the sound!

You missed out those things were guaranteed to be amazing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yeah you want the empanadas where they cheap out on the truck repairs, not the one where they cheap out on the food.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Bonus if he's mechanically inclined, he could've helped fix the truck & got bomb-rear end empanadas for life

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

taqueso posted:

Yeah you want the empanadas where they cheap out on the truck repairs, not the one where they cheap out on the food.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

My sincere hope is that after humanity goes extinct in 200 years, the aliens that come to explore our ruins find this video.

It’s like the Rosetta Stone of the human psyche.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Getting T-boned less than a mile from my house would have been a nifty way to end a 1,100 mile road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDNkIRqQZk

e: How did you get out here, lil guy? :3: + :ohdear: at :20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7-389cUss&t=20s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 1, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NoWake posted:

Getting T-boned less than a mile from my house would have been a nifty way to end a 1,100 mile road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDNkIRqQZk
First viewing: I didn't see anything, guess I'll watch it again

Second viewing: I still don :stare:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Just made the trip home from the parents, aside from the flatbed that cut me off to "hang out in the left lane and pass no one" the only real egregious driving I saw was this guy in a little Yaris or something similar. We were in the usual traffic rectangle holding pattern from a person in the left lane lead not passing trucks, or anyone for that matter. So we're in the left lane and he was riding my bumper. Then backed off. Came back again, then drifted over and rode the divide for a while. Maybe it was just the fierce, blustery wind and he was having trouble correcting? Nope, he was just a dumb gently caress. I saw him veer into the right lane behind a semi and then try to use the end of a rapidly terminating merging lane to go right around him. Which uh, did not work. I was bracing for carnage

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just drove from Boston to Syracuse in white-out snow and passed about a dozen multi-car collisions, over half involved invicible Subaru Outbacks that had SOMEHOW fishtailed into other vehicles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Just drove from Boston to Syracuse in white-out snow and passed about a dozen multi-car collisions, over half involved invicible Subaru Outbacks that had SOMEHOW fishtailed into other vehicles.

Outbacks (and legacy wagons) in particular are notable for lift off oversteer.
It was notable enough in the 2005ish model that CR had trouble recommending them without optional stability control.
(I personally enjoy that "feature" but people caught unaware won't)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dude alternately tailgated my van and dropped back 200-400m every couple minutes for about 45 minutes on a straight, flat, boring rural Australian road with no other traffic and no impediment whatsoever to passing while my cruise was set to the speed limit the whole time. He'd sit about a meter off the bumper for maybe 60 seconds, I'd move over and wave him by, he'd do the exasperated "throw my hands in the air" gesture and back off before gradually creeping up again. He eventually blew past me 40 or 50km/h faster with his hand on the horn and his finger out the window which he could have done at practically any time in the previous three quarters of an hour.

Can't stress enough how straight, flat, and empty the road was. 3 cars from the other direction in that whole time, and there's one short (maybe a mile) stretch where there's some bends with double lines and you can't pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I shared the road with a dingus like that yesterday, but it was on a four lane road with light traffic and they could have easily passed at any time without crossing a yellow line at all.

But instead they'd tailgate about a meter off the person in front of them and just sit there, riding the brakes constantly. If the car in front of them got out of the way (I intentionally changed lanes to get them out from behind me) they'd floor it until they caught up to the next car and tailgate them.

:iiam:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Brolander posted:

Just made the trip home from the parents,
Sunday after Thanksgiving is the worst driving day. Wednesday before Thanksgiving is called the busiest travel day, and the roads are very busy, but the traffic keeps moving. On Sunday something switches and collisions happen all over the place.

Here is a screenshot of Google maps that I took Sunday afternoon. That horrible red line on I-95 was still red five hours later. Note that the blue location dot is not on I-95.

That picture does not include the detour taken in Georgia, nor the detour taken between Charlotte and Spartanburg. It doesn't have the messes in NC and Virginia or the mess all along the beltway from DC to NYC. Atlanta? More mess than usual.

Again, for some reason everything goes pear shaped on the roads on Sunday.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

This is the main reason we did thanksgiving in NC instead of OH this year. I did not want to spend 20-24 hours on the road with a toddler who wants to do anything but sit still.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

That Jeep was in the left turn lane, whoever was driving the silver sedan sure hosed up. None of the occupants of any of the cars were badly hurt, somehow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CannonFodder posted:

For the last 15 years I have flatly refused to travel on the Sunday after Thanksgiving (or, if I can at all avoid it, the Wednesday before).

"Yeah, we'll come in Tuesday night and leave on Saturday, it's cool. No, trust me, we aren't going to do anything different."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

sleepy.eyes posted:

That Jeep was in the left turn lane, whoever was driving the silver sedan sure hosed up. None of the occupants of any of the cars were badly hurt, somehow.

Body style & rims are possibly Mercury Grand Marquis....so likely some old fart that shouldn't have a car or license

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

sleepy.eyes posted:

So the Jeep was to the right of the silver Accord, something scared the Jeep so it rolled over to its left on top of the Accord, and then the Mercury drove the wrong way into the Jeep? WTF happened here?

the answer is "Florida"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well rolling over is what Jeeps do best so that part makes sense.

Best I got is it was in neutral when it got hit and was shoved on top of the honda.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

VacaGrande posted:

So the Jeep was to the right of the silver Accord, something scared the Jeep so it rolled over to its left on top of the Accord, and then the Mercury drove the wrong way into the Jeep? WTF happened here?

the answer is "Florida"
Accord was behind Jeep, Buick hit Jeep head on, pushed it on top of Accord, and it happened at an angle that lead to it settling as if it had been placed carefully on it's side.

Basically, what xzzy said, but neutral not necessarily required, + a few details.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Jeep sacrificed itself & jumped in front of the Buick to save the Accord, a noble gesture

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Body style & rims are possibly Mercury Grand Marquis....so likely some old fart that shouldn't have a car or license

I saw something similar happen once. A Porsche Cayenne driver drove straight into the left turn lane of incoming traffic for no apparent reason. Humans are stupid.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Another brilliant parking job in front of my building.

:bravo:

This was a parallel parking spot. They were over the curb and half the car was left in the road.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Let's play "drunk or old person or someone who desperately needs to speak with the manager?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm gonna go with drunk based on the banged up bumper and visibly low tread on that tire.. they're clearly complete idiots so drunk driving is definitely in the cards.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

taqueso posted:

Let's play "drunk or old person or someone who desperately needs to speak with the manager?"

They're not mutually exclusive.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Sunday after Thanksgiving is the worst driving day. Wednesday before Thanksgiving is called the busiest travel day, and the roads are very busy, but the traffic keeps moving. On Sunday something switches and collisions happen all over the place.

Here is a screenshot of Google maps that I took Sunday afternoon. That horrible red line on I-95 was still red five hours later. Note that the blue location dot is not on I-95.

That picture does not include the detour taken in Georgia, nor the detour taken between Charlotte and Spartanburg. It doesn't have the messes in NC and Virginia or the mess all along the beltway from DC to NYC. Atlanta? More mess than usual.

We did the Sunday before down, then back from Orlando to Raleigh on Friday and it was gloriously clear and quiet both ways.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 6, 2019

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

:chloe:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The #fuckford hashtag, while I don't necessarily disagree with, is a nice touch. Yeah, your car's a piece of poo poo, but I'm guessing this isn't Ford's fault...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I gotta imagine breaking down on the Skyway was not a fun experience for everyone involved.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I gotta imagine breaking down on the Skyway was not a fun experience for everyone involved.

I think they fine you for breakdowns on the Skyway. Yeah though, just hope your poo poo breaks on the hump or at the exteme ends of the bridge.
I wonder if you get charged toll for a vehicle on a tow truck?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

madeintaipei posted:

I think they fine you for breakdowns on the Skyway. Yeah though, just hope your poo poo breaks on the hump or at the exteme ends of the bridge.
I wonder if you get charged toll for a vehicle on a tow truck?

If it's got an EZ-pass, absolutely. I keep the electrostatic bag it came with in the glove box, just in case something like this happens.

There was an issue early on where people would start up an EZ-pass account & rack up a huge amount of tolls before they even had a chance to install the transponder. Turns out, the tolling agency was sending out activated transponders just plain in the box, shipping them ground, and it would ping at every toll gantry the delivery truck passed through.

Now realize, your account gets charged for the class of vehicle you're driving, not the class you've registered. If your transponder pings while riding in the back of a 5-axle semi truck, that's the rate you'll be charged. My Golf has been confused for a semi once, not sure how it happened, but the toll hit my account for like $35 instead of a $5.35 like usual. Took a few weeks to clear up, really annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois calls theirs i-pass but it's the exact same thing as EZ-pass (and all the tollbooths in the state accept both). :downs:

Probably something Jesse White came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

NoWake posted:

If it's got an EZ-pass, absolutely. I keep the electrostatic bag it came with in the glove box, just in case something like this happens.

There was an issue early on where people would start up an EZ-pass account & rack up a huge amount of tolls before they even had a chance to install the transponder. Turns out, the tolling agency was sending out activated transponders just plain in the box, shipping them ground, and it would ping at every toll gantry the delivery truck passed through.

Now realize, your account gets charged for the class of vehicle you're driving, not the class you've registered. If your transponder pings while riding in the back of a 5-axle semi truck, that's the rate you'll be charged. My Golf has been confused for a semi once, not sure how it happened, but the toll hit my account for like $35 instead of a $5.35 like usual. Took a few weeks to clear up, really annoying.

Looool, hadn't heard about the second paragraph. gently caress the toll authority. Imagine how bad it'll get when there are toll lanes on 75, 275, and I-4.

I just have the card-style sticker, what can I do? Two patches of copper mesh held together through the windshield with magnets?