Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Barudak posted:

New consoles are basically 100% launching in 2020. If you live in a country that offers the Xbox contract program, for like 30 US a month you get the bone X, gamepass, and an option to upgrade to the next console when it releases.

love to take out credit for a video game console thats dead and being replaced on the advice of a gbs mod heres some financial advice from me put the money into bitcoin or flush it down the toilet along with your posts, which is where they live, the toilet that is. eat a big one... really bite it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
send the money to lowtax so he can lie his shattered spine on it while his wife and kids have to hide from him it will be of more use and entertainment

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Are these two a decent enough budget option for an XboneX SSD extension or would you recommend another?

https://www.czc.cz/axagon-adsa-1s6/200901/produkt
https://www.czc.cz/patriot-burst-2-5-960gb/245393/produkt

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 28, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Black King Conga posted:

I only have a laptop that can run light games at most. Never really been a PC gamer and prefer consoles to them.

Yeah, I read up and saw that a new console could come as early as next year. I may delay this one until the next gen ones drop which is soon anyway.

Or I will spend my money irresponsibly as always!

I’m in a similar spot to you but even less responsible with my money. Went from an Xbox to an X earlier this year. It’s a big jump (even at 1080p) over the PS Poor. I’m not planning to buy the next gen of consoles for a couple years. Launches are always thin in terms of games and with the backwards compatibility promises, and cross gen games, I think the X and PS4 will be good for awhile.

The bet I made this generation was that Xbox would be a better place for multiplatform games and that my library would make it to the next generation. So far Microsoft seemed committed to that. Sony seems to be saying that the PS4 library will go forwards? When it comes to backwards compatible I’ve learned my actual behaviour is playing just a couple of older games for nostalgia so overall BC doesn’t matter that much but I’m glad to have those few games. GamePass is a great deal and I’m looking forward to how Sony responds. So with the X I feel like I can comfortably wait out the first year or two of the new consoles figuring themselves out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

Game pass is so much better than psplus.

This isn't a like-for-like comparison, the real comparison is to PSNow, which has about 5 times the titles (800ish vs 150ish) as well as streaming options, although it's true that Microsoft leverages newer games more heavily than PSNow does, which is something PSNow has started making changes to (PSNow traditionally hasn't really had a rotating library the same way Game Pass has). PSNow is also cheaper if you're paying the normal yearly price for both services, but if you're doing that with Game Pass lol. They probably won't ever do day one PS4 exclusives, though, since those don't leverage the possibility of season passes and microtransactions for extra income the way Microsoft's first party games do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

New consoles are basically 100% launching in 2020. If you live in a country that offers the Xbox contract program, for like 30 US a month you get the bone X, gamepass, and an option to upgrade to the next console when it releases.

Hold up, iirc you dont get that upgrade until after a certain amount of time on your contract, my memory thinks it might be 18 months which would be a longish wait for an upgrade (although scarlett wont have any games the 1x cant play in that time frame so its moot i suppose

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mr. Neutron posted:

Are these two a decent enough budget option for an XboneX SSD extension or would you recommend another?

https://www.czc.cz/axagon-adsa-1s6/200901/produkt
https://www.czc.cz/patriot-burst-2-5-960gb/245393/produkt
I got burned twice already with a 2,5" SSD in an enclosure and an M.2 SATA SSD in an enclosure - the X just wouldn't output enough power on the USB bus for them to operate properly. I'd recommend you eat the price difference and just get a rated&tested external SSD.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Stux posted:

love to take out credit for a video game console thats dead and being replaced on the advice of a gbs mod heres some financial advice from me put the money into bitcoin or flush it down the toilet along with your posts, which is where they live, the toilet that is. eat a big one... really bite it!

gently caress off loser.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ruffian Price posted:

I got burned twice already with a 2,5" SSD in an enclosure and an M.2 SATA SSD in an enclosure - the X just wouldn't output enough power on the USB bus for them to operate properly. I'd recommend you eat the price difference and just get a rated&tested external SSD.

That's the problem - I got nowhere to plug the power cord. But I remember this thread recommending SSDs and enclosures that do work with the X

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Hold up, iirc you dont get that upgrade until after a certain amount of time on your contract, my memory thinks it might be 18 months which would be a longish wait for an upgrade (although scarlett wont have any games the 1x cant play in that time frame so its moot i suppose

Yes, or you can buy out your overpriced Xbone and upgrade right away.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
A 2.5" enclosure will work fine, the Xbox puts out more than enough power for an external SSD to operate. Maybe buy something with a full enclosure, mine worked fine in cheap Fantec enclosures. If you're handy, you can also replace the internal drive (though you do need to partition it correctly beforehand).

You don't need to get a "rated and tested" external SSD, that's just wasting money.

If power really was the problem, a Y USB cable would fix it (but is not necessary).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 28, 2019

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

heeheex2 posted:

gently caress off loser.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"drat, son" but its spelled "dent, on"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

If its 18 months thats not gonna work and thats it for my recco on that because I cant recommend anybody buy a PS4 or Bone with a year to launch and both systems new systems promising back compatibility.

Like you said though I cant imagine anything in the first six months not being on the bone as well, but why be on the wrong side of the generation changeover.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got a wired XBox One controller to play PC games with earlier this fall based on browsing a few listicles and a recommendation from the Steam thread, which warned me about loosening USB ports.

I don’t think I have that problem, but in this short time I started having to push the connector downwards to get it to connect. I don’t know if the problem is with the controller or cord.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I got a wired XBox One controller to play PC games with earlier this fall based on browsing a few listicles and a recommendation from the Steam thread, which warned me about loosening USB ports.

I don’t think I have that problem, but in this short time I started having to push the connector downwards to get it to connect. I don’t know if the problem is with the controller or cord.

It's usually the cord, not the port. The micro-USB connector is not exactly sturdy.

Just try another cable.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a store running a GamePass or Ultimate discount on the physical cards? I want to get a passive-aggressive gift for my friend's kids.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't buy kids gift cards, give them money.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

Don't buy kids gift cards, give them money.

Thanks for the feedback. This is deliberate, my friend tends to help themselves to money I give to the kiddos, so I want something that cannot be taken and generates a huge desire for the kids to play the Xbox. Like I said, its a passive aggressive gift.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Your friend's a dick.

My best suggestion is to check places like Walmart, Gamestop, etc. Maybe someone's running a deal, but I haven't seen any advertised.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2019

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
my brother in law is giving me his fat Xbox one because he bought an x. I am getting game pass but is there anything someone who went with ps4 this gen should get that isn't on it

gonna try to get asuras wrath and skate 3 while they five dollars

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

John Romero posted:

my brother in law is giving me his fat Xbox one because he bought an x. I am getting game pass but is there anything someone who went with ps4 this gen should get that isn't on it

:siren: univbee, its exclusives list time!!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ReCore is an all right game that time traveled from 2010 if you haven't played it on PC where even a toaster can run it with better loading times than any Xboner model.
Crackdown 3 is also an ok game that was shot out of a wormhole from a decade ago where you jump around and lock on to enemies to make them die for 8 hours then it kinda ends.
Blair Witch (the 2019 video game) is fine if you want a 5 hour spookhouse adventure that thankfully ends just as it starts to get boring.
Halo 5 has fun multiplayer. Gears 4 and 5 have ok campaigns and a decent but absurdly long online Horde mode. These three are also like over 100GB each.

Don't pay more than 20 bucks for any of these though you're getting Game Pass so they should be free anyway.

Xbox All In One Entertainment System: It's ok I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

John Romero posted:

AFAIK Cuphead and that pirate game still aren’t on PS4.

Also I’d play old games like Morrowind and Panzer Dragoon

And jsrf

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
crimson skies

A butt ton of xbox 360 games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every Ace combat, even 6, makes lovely console crimson skies with no working mp look like a fat waste of money.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah but I already have my original game disc so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morrowind :dukedog::dukedoge:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Crimson Skies, the OgXbox version, is a mediocre game very different from the first Crimson Skies - a great classic PC game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The real answer here is sid meyers pirates!
Great game
Horrible xbox port but a great game even so

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Fine, but morrowind, jsrf, and pd:o are all v good

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Rare Replay is an exclusive, very well put together collection of games that are not actually Xbox One games.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

can you play ssx3 on a ps4? Probably not so checkmate Xbox one

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Can't play the Gears 5 I actually own on disc because I played it previously while I still had gamepass. It's a "glitch" and makes me hate this dumb gamepass poo poo all the more.

Own your games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBX posted:

Can't play the Gears 5 I actually own on disc because I played it previously while I still had gamepass. It's a "glitch" and makes me hate this dumb gamepass poo poo all the more.

Own your games.

I don't really see a reason to spend sixty dollars on Gears Five

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's 24 for Black Friday and i've played Gears everyday since Gears 1 day 1, i'll never top playing this dumb series.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
:siren:

Games leaving Game Pass on 13 Dec:

quote:

Life is Strange
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019
Ashen

John Romero posted:

Most Microsoft Studios games are included in Game Pass by default and stay there indefinitely. That said, Forza Horizon 3 and Dead Rising 3 are two good non-PS4 games not currently on it (but their less good sequels are).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Due to how racing games are licensed, I'm guessing older Forzas will never be on game pass. When the new Forza comes out, they will probably remove the old version.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm new to gamepass. Do they add new games around the same time they remove old ones, or are additions unpredictable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm new to gamepass. Do they add new games around the same time they remove old ones, or are additions unpredictable?

Unpredictable. Old game removal isn’t super predictable either, but at least it leans more towards the midpoint and end of the month.