Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question on how to calculate energy cost. My bill doesn't say what the price per kw is. It only says if I shop around I'd need to find someone charging less than 6c/kw to be competitive. If I divide my total monthly kw by what I owe, it comes to ~12c. Including supply/delivery/transmission or whatever. So what price should I be comparing?

It can be confusing, often utilities do not provide an itemized bill. You can probably look on they website and find the residential favorites charge and kwh rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Qwijib0 posted:

For homeowners at least, even a modest solar array will generate enough kWh to cover most daily drives. In latitudes as north as Minnesota, a 4kW system will on average generate ~13kWh per day. In Arizona, I get ~23 kWh off my 3.8kW system.

Your PV is probably not producing while your car is at home and plugged in though.
Except maybe on the weekend...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think he is banking on the way *most* electric utilities deal with net metering, where your PV array generates credits for whatever you feed back, which erases kwh used later to charge your EV (or whatever).

This arrangement will stay this way until residential solar becomes economically unworthy of the good PR, and they will start treating it like the fickle off peak generation that it is, with lower payback to match.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to tear the degraded 62kwh battery out of my leaf in ten years and use it as home storage.

Old Post...
You should be able to fasten anything to a cybertruck, right? Surface mount steps, handles, roof rack, spikes. As far as the warthog comparison goes, it should make a pretty decent technical, right?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

You should care when your $15k+ battery is only capable of storing as much energy as 2.5 gallons of gas.

They only get their 300 mile range BECAUSE they are so incredibly efficient. Tech or human interface improvements that allow you to eek more range out that expensive battery mean either a cheaper car with the same range or the same car with more range, either is good for adoption.

Sure but I can look at the Watts per mile realtime. Driving super conservatively gets me like 20% more range than driving however I want.

It charges every night. It's not really a big deal. Maybe it is for you but I've just found it's not worth worrying about. I get that more efficiency is good, but there is no point in buying the performance version and then driving it like a prius.

The only time it is a big deal is long trips, and I've found the largest difference with that is how fast you go on the freeway. Going 75 vs 70 is a much larger difference than anything I do in town.

I think I am coming at this from a different angle than you, I view it as a sports sedan with incredible mileage, not a hyper efficient thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right now I'm viewing the Bolt as an electric hot hatch. Would like to drive one soon to see how it handles.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Your PV is probably not producing while your car is at home and plugged in though.
Except maybe on the weekend...

angryrobots posted:

I think he is banking on the way *most* electric utilities deal with net metering, where your PV array generates credits for whatever you feed back, which erases kwh used later to charge your EV (or whatever).

This arrangement will stay this way until residential solar becomes economically unworthy of the good PR, and they will start treating it like the fickle off peak generation that it is, with lower payback to match.

And the hope that by the time net metering disappears, a reasonable sized battery storage solution will be more affordable-- closer to $200/kWh than the ~600 it is now. Yes, it's a lot of optimism.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Qwijib0 posted:

And the hope that by the time net metering disappears, a reasonable sized battery storage solution will be more affordable-- closer to $200/kWh than the ~600 it is now. Yes, it's a lot of optimism.

Aren't batteries like 150/kwh already? Obviously the circuitry cost something too but can't be that much

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah right now I'm viewing the Bolt as an electric hot hatch. Would like to drive one soon to see how it handles.

There is only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SomMQzC1Yg

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Might have to drive one of those too, I saw one the other day take off from a light and I was shocked at how quick it left everyone else in the dust.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There will be an Electric Mini. If it handles anything like my old Cooper S then it'll be superior to the Bolt as far as handling goes. The Bolt feels bigger probably because it is.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Today I learned that Adrian Steel now makes a cargo kit for the Bolt.

https://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/Chevrolet_Bolt/

So thats, uh, something.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Over the past couple of months I've test driven a Leaf, an i3 and an Ioniq, and took a passenger ride in a Zoe. Thought I'd almost certainly end up buying a Leaf, but actually found the Ioniq to be the nicest of the three (this is the recently updated version). Liked the interior, liked the ride, thought the 'modest' looks suited better than something obviously stand-out like the i3.

So, order placed for a new Ioniq. Looks like it's going to be a few month's wait in the UK, but hopefully I'll have something for Spring next year. Never had a new car before; pretty cool that it gets to be my first electric car at the same time.

This is long past due - I basically only make one trip a year where I'd need to charge on the way and most of the rest of my time is stuck in traffic. Can't really kid myself I need anything more than a runaround any more.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Duck and Cover posted:

There will be an Electric Mini. If it handles anything like my old Cooper S then it'll be superior to the Bolt as far as handling goes. The Bolt feels bigger probably because it is.

It’s basically the powertrain of the i3 so it’s too short-ranged and too expensive.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Major Ryan posted:

Over the past couple of months I've test driven a Leaf, an i3 and an Ioniq, and took a passenger ride in a Zoe. Thought I'd almost certainly end up buying a Leaf, but actually found the Ioniq to be the nicest of the three (this is the recently updated version). Liked the interior, liked the ride, thought the 'modest' looks suited better than something obviously stand-out like the i3.

So, order placed for a new Ioniq. Looks like it's going to be a few month's wait in the UK, but hopefully I'll have something for Spring next year. Never had a new car before; pretty cool that it gets to be my first electric car at the same time.

This is long past due - I basically only make one trip a year where I'd need to charge on the way and most of the rest of my time is stuck in traffic. Can't really kid myself I need anything more than a runaround any more.

Very cool! We have a 2018 plug in hybrid Ioniq and it turned us on to getting the 2019 Kona EV as well. No real complaints for either, though now we're weirdly a Hyundai family from owning a Chevy and a Saturn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ExplodingSims posted:

Today I learned that Adrian Steel now makes a cargo kit for the Bolt.

https://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/Chevrolet_Bolt/

So thats, uh, something.

It would be badass for bakery/florist/etc type in-town deliveries in a lot of markets.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Isn't rolling coal in a Tesla just pressing the accelerator given how much of our baseload is still coal fired?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Bolt makes a lot of sense for fleet sales.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Depends on where you live. California gets very little power from coal (under 5% of total generation). Afaik most coal plants are being converted to natural gas plants all around the US too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In 2015 it was actually worse for environment to run an EV in places like Ohio, but even though there's still a lot of coal, that's no longer the case (some coal went to natural gas, some went to renewables, some got better scrubbers)

*edit*
paper here

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

A Strange Aeon posted:

Very cool! We have a 2018 plug in hybrid Ioniq and it turned us on to getting the 2019 Kona EV as well. No real complaints for either, though now we're weirdly a Hyundai family from owning a Chevy and a Saturn.

That's good to hear. I'm not massively questioning the switch, but always good to get some confirmation that this is a good choice.

The reason I thought I'd end up with the Leaf apart from it sort of being the default option here is that I've had two Nissan's previously with no problems. So I'd consider myself to have some loyalty there but having driven the cars, I just liked the Ioniq a lot more.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Isn't rolling coal in a Tesla just pressing the accelerator given how much of our baseload is still coal fired?

IIRC even then its cleaner or very nearly so than a diesel? I might be wrong though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Jacob's Ladder on the trunk throwing sparks at tailgaters.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Also, as electric vehicle market share inreases, electricity required to refine gasoline decreases. If the 8 kWh figure for one gallon (drilling, transporting, and refining) holds, electricity use will go down as people swap to electric cars. It'll move from centralised to distributed use, though, so the grid could probably do with some changes.

Is there a good source on this? I'd like to understand the efficiency of refining.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Is there a good source on this? I'd like to understand the efficiency of refining.

The Internet knows, though the span in power usage for oil extraction is pretty large.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I did some research, but it's really hard to collate the data. The 8kWh/gallon value seems to be an "accepted industry average" but the work to put it together is beyond a hobbyist statistician.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Aren't batteries like 150/kwh already? Obviously the circuitry cost something too but can't be that much

Only in car form. The cheapest self-contained home options right now are the Powerwall 2 (13kWh for $6500) or the LG RESU ($7000 for 10 kWh).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I did some research, but it's really hard to collate the data. The 8kWh/gallon value seems to be an "accepted industry average" but the work to put it together is beyond a hobbyist statistician.

Which I just find odd because everyone with an opinion can tell you to the milligram and milliwatt•hour exactly how much carbon and energy it takes to recharge and build every nut bolt and anode in an EV.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been doing a bit of research on the Chevy Spark and apparently they are having brake failure issues. So much for that, not gonna touch a car with any kind of brake issue.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Been doing a bit of research on the Chevy Spark and apparently they are having brake failure issues. So much for that, not gonna touch a car with any kind of brake issue.

That's what the regen braking is for. Do it, don't be a pussy.

Qwijib0 posted:

Only in car form. The cheapest self-contained home options right now are the Powerwall 2 (13kWh for $6500) or the LG RESU ($7000 for 10 kWh).
Weird, is this just a volume thing? I'd assume the cells are more or less the same.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mobby_6kl posted:

Until I learn to drive an EV properly I want working conventional brakes, kthxbye.

Speaking of research, does anyone know a good source for dealer invoice prices for the Bolt? Search results for Canada are heavily polluted by some web sites that are dealer subscription services and apparently just make up numbers while they're collecting your contact information to sell.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Weird, is this just a volume thing? I'd assume the cells are more or less the same.

It is weird. Tesla use Samsung cells for their home batteries with a slightly different chemistry. The electronics are a bigger proportion of the product given the relative size of the batteries (13kwh v 60-90). But it must mainly be volume. The difference is enormous.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Do powerwalls have active cooling and such?

Maybe they have to be made differently so they don't degrade from extreme temperatures.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

MrYenko posted:

It would be badass for bakery/florist/etc type in-town deliveries in a lot of markets.

Oh yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, I think its pretty cool.

It's just the first time I've seen them make a cargo kit for something that wasn't a van or truck.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

More small delivery vehicles like in Europe

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah c'mon fam die in an avoidable collision like a real man :dukedog:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

SerCypher posted:

Maybe they have to be made differently so they don't degrade from extreme temperatures.

I don't think a normal home use case is nearly as stressful as pushing a motor or super charging. The big arrays in the desert may well be water or oil cooled.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SerCypher posted:

Yes
They have liquid cooling and "active conditioning" so they're thermally managed and hypothetically look at weather conditions and stuff. If it's tied to solar it warms up before sunrise so the batteries can accept a full charge, etc.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Yes
They have liquid cooling and "active conditioning" so they're thermally managed and hypothetically look at weather conditions and stuff. If it's tied to solar it warms up before sunrise so the batteries can accept a full charge, etc.

These will be perfect for my bunker in areas without reliable power grids, like LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

It's an issue where the regen doesn't work either, complete power assist failure. The parts alone to fix it are over $2k.

One thing about EVs that I'm kind of apprehensive about is because they are still such a new thing that it's an excuse for shops to rake people over the coals for repairs. Having an EV out of warranty could get pretty loving expensive if batteries and anything in the drivetrain needs to be repaired or replaced.