Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
also, invest in like Pocket or Pinboard or just bookmark poo poo instead of being a psycho with tabs open for years at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

maduin posted:

also, invest in like Pocket or Pinboard or just bookmark poo poo instead of being a psycho with tabs open for years at a time

I use Pocket, Pinboard, and still keep thousands of tabs open :science:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why is Outlook checking for new emails when I have turned off background refresh? :crossarms:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Why is Outlook checking for new emails when I have turned off background refresh? :crossarms:

Probably not in the background.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

They really ought to come up with a way to save a list of urls so you can easily access a site again.

This is WHY ARE THE EMAILS I WAS SAVING IN THE RECYCLE BIN DELETED, I NEEDED THOSE levels of :stare:

If you don’t bookmark, then I won’t believe you actually needed them.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

This is also a topic of contention whenever a popular browser receives a major update. There's a small but vocal minority of people who are very attached to their 500 open tabs and they will never succumb to the evil bookmark button for whatever reason.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Really wish I’d known this BEFORE Safari went and deleted literal years worth of inactive tabs I’d been saving just in case I wanted to look at them again.

If you have literal years of anything that's important to you, it's good you have a backup, right?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cebrail posted:

This is also a topic of contention whenever a popular browser receives a major update. There's a small but vocal minority of people who are very attached to their 500 open tabs and they will never succumb to the evil bookmark button for whatever reason.

I use bookmarks. I just don’t bookmark every single page I might want to revisit for whatever reason; I only bookmark the really important ones.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if you had years of inactive tabs that persisted between system updates, i dunno what to tell you, maybe just bookmark more poo poo. none of those tabs were important anyway

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Legs Benedict posted:

if you had years of inactive tabs that persisted between system updates, i dunno what to tell you, maybe just bookmark more poo poo. none of those tabs were important anyway

They weren’t really important, I just... liked having them around.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

I. M. Gei posted:

They weren’t really important, I just... liked having them around.

You’re a monster. Just own it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
nobody else just remembers all the sites?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I. M. Gei posted:

I use bookmarks. I just don’t bookmark every single page I might want to revisit for whatever reason; I only bookmark the really important ones.

Then use the reading list.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I really like having all those inactive tabs because it's like a memory book for moments in my life. I'll scroll through them and find a Google birthday gift search for someone I now hate. Or that WebMD search that said I had cancer.

I'd probably hate it if they all disappeared too, even if they were not important enough to formally bookmark.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

nobody else just remembers all the sites?

There are just two. SA and google. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then use the reading list.

Yeah I try to get in the habit of putting all tabs I've been ignoring into Reading List, where I can ignore them forever.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

What's the best option for podcasts? Ever since the last update I have to wait like thirty seconds before the default podcast app is responsive and I'm tired of messing with it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

NofrikinfuN posted:

What's the best option for podcasts? Ever since the last update I have to wait like thirty seconds before the default podcast app is responsive and I'm tired of messing with it.

Overcast changed my life. It’s easy to export your shows from the stock app, and the ads on the free version are really unobtrusive.

Silence trimming and smart speed have saved me 50 hours in the last year according to the counter and I haven’t even noticed it happening.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Overcast changed my life. It’s easy to export your shows from the stock app, and the ads on the free version are really unobtrusive.

Silence trimming and smart speed have saved me 50 hours in the last year according to the counter and I haven’t even noticed it happening.

Thanks, I will give it a go. I was always okay with the barebones functionality on the default app, but in the eight years or so I've used it, they never once improved it with an update.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I really like PocketCasts. Trim silence, Voice Boost, etc. and I believe it’s free now. I think the UI is A LOTbetter than Overcast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NofrikinfuN posted:

Dashlane.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

Dashlane.

The app I use to keep track of my haircuts can play podcasts? Nice

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

tuyop posted:

Dashlane.

Searching for this brought up a lot of password keepers.

Violator posted:

I really like PocketCasts. Trim silence, Voice Boost, etc. and I believe it’s free now. I think the UI is A LOTbetter than Overcast.

I will give this a look as well. Overcast looks like it will be decent replacement, but the ui does seem a little awkward somehow. (The default app was similarly awkward.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NofrikinfuN posted:

Searching for this brought up a lot of password keepers.

I will give this a look as well. Overcast looks like it will be decent replacement, but the ui does seem a little awkward somehow. (The default app was similarly awkward.)

Pff don’t listen to the SEO, :just dashlane:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

tuyop posted:

Dashlane.

Can it also track haircuts?

Violator
May 15, 2003

This new text selection where you drag the cursor itself is kind of a pain in the rear end. How am I supposed to see where I’m putting the cursor on an iPhone? My finger is literally blocking my view of it. I miss the little popup magnifying glass showing where you were placing it.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Violator posted:

Strong agree, fantastic little app. Slightly annoying that previously paid users weren't rewarded anything when they opted to change to the subscription model.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kempy posted:

Strong agree, fantastic little app. Slightly annoying that previously paid users weren't rewarded anything when they opted to change to the subscription model.

I don't use Pocket Casts anymore cause I prefer Overcast but isn't this saying I have their subscription model for free for life?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How does Pocket Casts’ trim silence and 1.1x with voice boost compare to Overcast these days? Overcast used to be the gold standard but curious how things have moved on.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

101 posted:

I don't use Pocket Casts anymore cause I prefer Overcast but isn't this saying I have their subscription model for free for life?

I believe you get a lifetime Plus sub if you had previously bought the web player, since prior to the subscription changeover the web player was advertised as a one-time fee for unlimited access. People who only bought the mobile version don't get anything extra because every feature of the paid mobile app still exists in the free one.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

How does Pocket Casts’ trim silence and 1.1x with voice boost compare to Overcast these days? Overcast used to be the gold standard but curious how things have moved on.

I can't compare it to Overcast, but I'm very impressed with Pocket Casts "Trim Silence" feature. Seems to do the job well. Just also tried a 1.1x playback and seemed fine - I mean... It's just slightly quicker playback. Haven't used Volume Boost before.

Weedle posted:

I believe you get a lifetime Plus sub if you had previously bought the web player, since prior to the subscription changeover the web player was advertised as a one-time fee for unlimited access. People who only bought the mobile version don't get anything extra because every feature of the paid mobile app still exists in the free one.

Correct - I had previously paid for the app and so nothing extra. Not even a different app icon.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Pocket casts is great, I’ve been using it for 4 years and never had a problem. Their web player is serviceable but not very good, but their mobile apps are the absolute best. Overcast is good though and if it looked as nice as Pocket Casts I’d say it’s probably otherwise a tie for quality.

I’m also kind of annoyed at the lack of stuff for people who had the paid app but also it’s nice to be able to recommend my favorite podcast app to people asking me without saying “but it’s 3 dollars” which immediately turns people off, sadly.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think I've settled in Pocket Casts. It has a simpler interface and seems pretty snappy. I also seems to remember the last thing you were playing after you've closed the app, so it looks like it will work great.

Thanks again for the recommendations all.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Also Downcast is a very good Podcast player. When i reviewed the usual recommendations i selected that one over the other for reasons which i forget now. It also has an Apple CarPlay app which works well, if that affects you at all.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Downcast is awesome because it has a ton more configuration options. It isn’t as pretty or full featured (it doesn’t have skip silence or voice boost for example) but it does have 1000% more ways to customize how you filter, view, repeat, etc.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there an app that simply measures distance covered for a specified time period?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Like GPS tracks?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

kri kri posted:

Like GPS tracks?

That looks perfect, thank you!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big high fives to the guy at IMDb who decided to move the search bar to the bottom, making muscle memory for every other app be completely redundant for it. I hope you’re fired by Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Big high fives to the guy at IMDb who decided to move the search bar to the bottom, making muscle memory for every other app be completely redundant for it. I hope you’re fired by Monday.

I like having the button down there because if you double tap it then it opens the search field with the keyboard active. I keep hoping all app controls eventually move down so they’re easier to reach.