Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

GunnerJ posted:

One thing that seems like a clear immediate goal for the devs that would do a lot of good is making the AI better at planetary development because then players could automate that poo poo with confidence.
This.

Just this.

Did you know that Lithoids automation builds food? All the food.

See, because they haven't even bothered changing that from standard organic empires.

At the very least I ended up with a 500 food surplus while losing 400 minerals as the automation replaced roughly all of my production.

It's so bad.
Wow, that is amazing. I love Lithoids but I guess I'll never be automating with them. There was a setting with the old Automation that would tell the Sector AI to not re-develop anything and only manage it as is - is that not an option anymore?

CainsDescendant posted:

Black Pants posted:

I think planets are more interesting now and love what new avenues it's added for modding. I don't like so much the new colony growth penalty or the 'only one species can be growing at a time' thing though. I understand it from a design balance standpoint, but it's a shame that 'whatever is the dominant species' is the one that gets to grow.

I dunno though, I don't really get the gloom and doom everyone else is seeing and the only thing stopping me from playing the game at the moment is the launcher.
Agreed 100%
I think the Doom And Gloom is because of the staggering number of unresolved issues, the fact that a bunch of people have apparently jumped ship from the dev team, and that the remaining dev team is either uncaring of the unresolved issues with the game, or have been told by management to ignore them and keep pumping out DLC. See below for why I am pretty down on the game right now.

DasNeonLicht posted:

If I build more than one trade hub at a starbase, does each trade hub increase collection range by +1?
Yes. It is in the Tooltip but it is poorly worded:

This is one of the things I PM'd to Darkrenown a while back that he said he would forward it to their UX guy, and he said the message was received, but I guess the UX guy has bigger fish to fry. The UI here just needs a little work/the description just needs to be improved a tiny bit and it would be fine. Instead, its bad, has been bad since it was added, and has been ignored since it was added, with no hint of ever being fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DasNeonLicht posted:

If I build more than one trade hub at a starbase, does each trade hub increase collection range by +1?

Yes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Yami Fenrir posted:

This.

Just this.

Did you know that Lithoids automation builds food? All the food.

See, because they haven't even bothered changing that from standard organic empires.

That's real bad and shouldn't happen. I think someone predicted that though.

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm predicting Lithoid auto-build AI building farms until a hotfix. But still, it's a cool feature. Hoping they end up doing the same for Plantoids (use food instead of minerals) after the big DLC.

Hm...

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cool way to fix automation / scaling issues in your game:

Quarantine / refuse discussion of sectors and automation for 2 years, quit and go to a new project, have the new guy treat this feature :smith: like the plague it is :smith:

[edit]At least let me make a template or a 'upgrade to THIS configuration' placeholder that gets built out over time. I can create one of those for each type of resource planet and just select it to let the automation build it. Or just let me fake upgrade buildings without the resources / tech and then when available it gets built. And no, you shouldn't get charged up front, you should get charged when the upgrade is available.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 29, 2019

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I didn't have any issues with Lithoid automation building food. I was using just planetary automation and setting the planet specialization myself and it worked ok, not great but I didn't see mass food production with 10-15 automated worlds :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I believe I was using the sector automation. I vaguely remember people saying it's a lot worse than the planetary one?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

Yes.
I would recommend building a main trade value collection starbase 1 jump from your home system and build as many trade hub modules as you can fit at any given size. As you upgrade it, it can collect a bigger and bigger part of your core empire trade value and the 1 jump trade lane to the home system does not cause any piracy. Makes the earlier game a little simpler.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
The way trade works is the following: Each trade hub does increase the collection range, as mentioned. this starts with 0 hubs, aka the starbase system itself. So it'll collect up to 6 systems away.

You want to avoid having long snakey lines. Because this means a lot of trade is going through chokepoints, which attracts piracy. You can sometimes re-route trade routes via the trade view but it's super fiddly.

Additionally, bastions help you fight against piracy. Any gun module will give you 5 trade protection AND a wider trade potection range (+1 each, just like the trade hubs)

Additionally, both trade and protection WILL trace through gateways and wormholes. So in the midgame you can actually just build gateways close to bastions and your trade hub to reduce number of trade starbases needed and overlap protection to make piracy nonexistent.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

I believe I was using the sector automation. I vaguely remember people saying it's a lot worse than the planetary one?

It is, but by the time you are ready to automate everything to stop the micro, your economy is already so robust that a 20% hit to efficiency is ignorable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone recently mentioned you can't claim through wormholes, I think? What was the situation with that, because I just did that perfectly fine(and had claims laid in turn by the enemy).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

The way trade works is the following: Each trade hub does increase the collection range, as mentioned. this starts with 0 hubs, aka the starbase system itself. So it'll collect up to 6 systems away.

You want to avoid having long snakey lines. Because this means a lot of trade is going through chokepoints, which attracts piracy. You can sometimes re-route trade routes via the trade view but it's super fiddly.

Additionally, bastions help you fight against piracy. Any gun module will give you 5 trade protection AND a wider trade potection range (+1 each, just like the trade hubs)

Additionally, both trade and protection WILL trace through gateways and wormholes. So in the midgame you can actually just build gateways close to bastions and your trade hub to reduce number of trade starbases needed and overlap protection to make piracy nonexistent.

Since trade collection seems to go through gateways, if you place gateways well enough you should eventually be able to have a single starbase collecting from the entire empire.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My territory seems pretty small, but a colony at one end is listed as being in a frontier sector. It appears to be connected as much as any of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone recently mentioned you can't claim through wormholes, I think? What was the situation with that, because I just did that perfectly fine(and had claims laid in turn by the enemy).
That was me - another empire came through the wormhole and established ownership of the wormhole system on my end (thus a 1 system island of their space on my end of the wormhole). I can claim that system just fine, but I cannot claim anything on the other side of it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

My territory seems pretty small, but a colony at one end is listed as being in a frontier sector. It appears to be connected as much as any of them.

Frontier Sector just means it hasn't been placed in a sector yet so you can create a new sector by clicking a button in that colony's UI. Up to 4 hyperlane jumps from a sector capital planet is usually included in the sector, but sometimes sectors collide and cut each other off from reaching specific systems. You can enable the display of sectors in the lower right of the screen, among the other map mode buttons.

Edit: this seems to be how the sector system works:

Sometimes you can fix things like these by deleting the sector that's blocking other sectors and setting them up in the order you want them to have priority, but when the Core sector is involved this is not possible, as the Core sector cannot be deleted. You might still be able to fix it by moving your capital (and so probably your Core sector) elsewhere, but it's usually easier to just make a new sector for that one single system.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 30, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That was me - another empire came through the wormhole and established ownership of the wormhole system on my end (thus a 1 system island of their space on my end of the wormhole). I can claim that system just fine, but I cannot claim anything on the other side of it.
huh, and you've explored the wormhole so that you can properly see through to the other side, too? I can see not being able to lay claims if it's still classified as unexplored, but if you've already gone through it yourself, that is weird and dumb, yes

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

I feel like stellaris has suffered from them trying to give a poo poo about multiplayer and they should instead throw in a bunch of completely unbalanced bullshit so that people can roleplay whatever hosed up space society they want. If they did that and then fixed performance I'd be happy enough with it.

This and the limits on the spaceborne starting option makes me want to try to get STARS! working again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The spaceborne origin seems cool as hell but habitats are pretty drat expensive so I'm hoping they get a huge discount on building more.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

It is, but by the time you are ready to automate everything to stop the micro, your economy is already so robust that a 20% hit to efficiency is ignorable.

IME the automation is perfectly capable of crashing a robust economy and forcing you to unfuck it manually.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really love how there's mods for pretty much any gameplay tweak you want

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yami Fenrir posted:

This is backwards. You do want to make it one snakey line, and then drop a starbase on every system in that line.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Staltran posted:

IME the automation is perfectly capable of crashing a robust economy and forcing you to unfuck it manually.

This has happened to me on almost every game. Like others have said: fix the automation in the game and I think a lot of Stellaris' problems can be at least ignored. I tried another "Player runs the core sector while A.I. manages the frontier sectors" game with one of the human factions and, again, the A.I. was ignoring consumer goods and energy and having a ball creating multiple luxury houses, mining sectors and precinct buildings when they were not needed. Also it upgraded every rare-resource requirement building possible as soon as the research was done, leading to extreme deficits. I've never actually seen it build a rare-resource building on its own.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, what sort of performance were people getting before that now is much worse? Back when I started playing the game around Utopia's release, War in Heaven actually made the game unplayable because it would either play for a few seconds and then lock up for 10 seconds, or the game would just CTD. Now with my huge galaxies and 16 starting empires I can definitely get into endgame and still be playable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
on fastest speed at the start of a game I'll get ~10 days per second, months just fly by, and it's great.

late game is a tenth of that, sometimes a twentieth of that.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Staltran posted:

I think from messing around with modding is one of the big causes of it being such a mess is there’s no way to get a %age production surplus or deficit, just absolute values and stockpiles. You can’t do stuff like ‘If energy consumption > 80% energy production, build generator’.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, if I could at least make templates and force the AI to follow them. As it is, the automation in Stellaris scares me too much, I prefer microing 40+ planets instead

Never thought I would find a 4x game with automation worse than Master of Orion III, but here we are

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

I think from messing around with modding is one of the big causes of it being such a mess is there’s no way to get a %age production surplus or deficit, just absolute values and stockpiles. You can’t do stuff like ‘If energy consumption > 80% energy production, build generator’.
Yup. Also if you want to increase the weighting of something the higher it is you have to have a series of incremental "If X > 10 then +weight 100" "if X > 20 then +weight 100", you can't go "Weight = X*10"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Man, if I could at least make templates and force the AI to follow them. As it is, the automation in Stellaris scares me too much, I prefer microing 40+ planets instead

Never thought I would find a 4x game with automation worse than Master of Orion III, but here we are
Splicer's Awesome "Automation" idea: You can queue up whatever, things only costs resources when they actually start to build. The queue has a checkbox saying "intelligent build y/n". If intelligent build is off it will slowly chock down the list, just building whatever you told it to (unless you run out of resources). With intelligent build on:
1) If there are homeless pops or no free housing it will skip ahead to the first queued item you can afford that provides housing
2) If there are no homeless pops but there are unemployed pops or 0 free jobs it will skip ahead to the first queued item you can afford that provides jobs of the required tier or higher
3) If none of the above apply, do nothing until the start of next month and check again.

Shift clicking skips the queuing process and just sets it building. A little icon shows up on a planet in the outliner if it has stuff queued that it can't afford yet.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Splicer's Awesome "Automation" idea: You can queue up whatever, things only costs resources when they actually start to build. The queue has a checkbox saying "intelligent build y/n". If intelligent build is off it will slowly chock down the list, just building whatever you told it to (unless you run out of resources). With intelligent build on:
1) If there are homeless pops or no free housing it will skip ahead to the first queued item you can afford that provides housing
2) If there are no homeless pops but there are unemployed pops or 0 free jobs it will skip ahead to the first queued item you can afford that provides jobs of the required tier or higher
3) If none of the above apply, do nothing until the start of next month and check again.

Shift clicking skips the queuing process and just sets it building. A little icon shows up on a planet in the outliner if it has stuff queued that it can't afford yet.

See, I'm totally behind this, but I sympathise with people who might not want to design an algorithm to play a space roleplay game properly.

Stellaris is awkwardly caught between the Efficient Astro Optimisers and the Fun In Space crowd, and it's a difficult balancing act.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

See, I'm totally behind this, but I sympathise with people who might not want to design an algorithm to play a space roleplay game properly.

Stellaris is awkwardly caught between the Efficient Astro Optimisers and the Fun In Space crowd, and it's a difficult balancing act.
Oh that's not what I was going for at all. The player doesn't need to work out algorithms, the intelligent build button just means it won't build any buildings the planet has no use for yet.

e: So I find a new mining planet, I queue up a robot factory and mine booster and a bunch of mines and then wander off for a couple of decades knowing it won't waste minerals on the mines until it actually needs to build them, and I can otherwise ignore the planet until I see an unemployed or homeless pop alert in a few decades.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 30, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Oh that's not what I was going for at all. The player doesn't need to work out algorithms, the intelligent build button just means it won't build any buildings the planet has no use for yet.

e: So I find a new mining planet, I queue up a robot factory and mine booster and a bunch of mines and then wander off for a couple of decades knowing it won't waste minerals on the mines until it actually needs to build them, and I can otherwise ignore the planet until I see an unemployed or homeless pop alert in a few decades.

Sounds great, as long as the intelligent build button is locked behind a tutorial that forces players to learn what it does before they complain that the game isn't doing what it's told.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bofast posted:

Yes.
I would recommend building a main trade value collection starbase 1 jump from your home system and build as many trade hub modules as you can fit at any given size. As you upgrade it, it can collect a bigger and bigger part of your core empire trade value and the 1 jump trade lane to the home system does not cause any piracy. Makes the earlier game a little simpler.

Thank you for this advice. I never stopped to consider all those +1s stack, but I eventually figured it out that you want to make collection / protection radiuses as big as possible

My frontier is still a work in progress, but I almost entirely eliminated piracy in my main sectors and got my starbase count under control (those penalties are spicy) through a combination of dedicated trade collection stations and gently caress-off huge 6x hanger/gun/missile space fortresses. Feels good.

Thanks again

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

Thank you for this advice. I never stopped to consider all those +1s stack, but I eventually figured it out that you want to make collection / protection radiuses as big as possible

My frontier is still a work in progress, but I almost entirely eliminated piracy in my main sectors and got my starbase count under control (those penalties are spicy) through a combination of dedicated trade collection stations and gently caress-off huge 6x hanger/gun/missile space fortresses. Feels good.

Thanks again

Glad to hear it :)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're just building stations for trade protection the hangars are twice as good as missiles or guns afaict.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I don't get why Outliner is saying the planet doesn't have enough housing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't get why Outliner is saying the planet doesn't have enough housing.

It says -0, at least one of your pops on the planet takes slightly more than 1.0 housing reducing in a fraction that is truncated to 0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also there are definitely holes in the tutorial mode, my sprawl is higher than my admin capacity and VIR hasn't said a drat thing about it.

hobbesmaster posted:

It says -0, at least one of your pops on the planet takes slightly more than 1.0 housing reducing in a fraction that is truncated to 0

lol why the gently caress would a pop be taking slightly more than 1.0 housing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The species trait solitary would do it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Also there are definitely holes in the tutorial mode, my sprawl is higher than my admin capacity and VIR hasn't said a drat thing about it.

lol why the gently caress would a pop be taking slightly more than 1.0 housing

Nation of fatties

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

Nation of fatties

Petition to rename the Solitary trait, please Paradox do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your sprawl is always going to be higher than your admin capacity but once you have enough planets settled it hardly matters. Stellaris is a game of snowballing (assuming you suffer no disasters or anomalies backfiring).