Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The release notes say that the Lukki mutation has a new control scheme, but as far as I can tell nothing has changed? Or I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every time I see Lukki mutation I fuckin open palm slam that motherfucker, but I'm honestly not sure if it's even all that good. Bring able to cling to ceilings forever is nice but not really all that useful, it's a huge hindrance in wide open spaces, and the damage seems negligible beyond the coal mines.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are you using the Lukki Perk Enhanced mod? I find it incredibly useful. There are simply not all that many wide open spaces, so the biggest drawback is really not much of one. The biggest advantage, though? It's not hanging from ceilings, it's being able to move in any direction equally quickly. You can dodge things you normally never would, I think getting hit doesn't make drop off of walls and many ground-based enemies just can't even hit you at all because you can stand tippy-spidertoes right above their maximum lunge height.

Super useful, super fun.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Tried the daily run for the first time. In the first area there is a horizontal barrier wand that does... this.

I love this game.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There is no worse feeling than getting Perk lottery in the first temple, then not having it proc a single time until eventually dying in the jungle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

There is no worse feeling than getting Perk lottery in the first temple, then not having it proc a single time until eventually dying in the jungle.

I'm at a less than 1 in 10 success rate with Perk Lottery. Garbage-tier perk for me personally.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a hard 50% chance per pick and it stacks with further picks of Perk Lottery. Have two? 25% per perk picked that the rest will disappear. Have three? 12.5% percent chance the rest will disappear. At three Perk Lotteries, you have a 66% 76% chance of clearing out all entire three perks available. I tried that, it works.

It's definitely not trash tier, even if you had a run of bad luck with it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 29, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a hard 50% chance per pick and it stacks with further picks of Perk Lottery. Have two? 25% per perk picked that the rest will disappear. Have three? 12.5% percent chance the rest will disappear. At three Perk Lotteries, you have a 66% chance of clearing out the entire six perks available. I tried that, it works.

It's definitely not trash tier, even if you had a run of bad luck with it.

Doesn't that rely on getting a second one to even appear, though? I guess you could just sit there spamming reroll and hoping for the best, but at that point you probably have so much money that you don't really need all those extra perks anyways.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Doesn't that rely on getting a second one to even appear, though? I guess you could just sit there spamming reroll and hoping for the best, but at that point you probably have so much money that you don't really need all those extra perks anyways.
Yeah, but on average, it basically gets you more than one extra perk per run every time. A 50% per perk picked to get another for free, every time? Even if you only get three more perks that run, that means a 87.5% change of getting at least one extra.

If you can get multiple Perk Lotteries? It's literally always worth it, unless it's like the last or next to last perk of your run.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Actually from.what i've seen the lottery perk stacks ADDITIVElY. Meaning two of those => you get all perks forever after.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, it definitely doesn't. I used cheatGUI to try it with three and there's still a chance of it failing to proc.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Gues i got incredibly lucky then, i once had double lottery by like hisi and swept literally every perk after.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's about a sixty percent chance to get all three perks (since the last one doesn't count, you always get it if the first two procced) so it's entirely possible to be that lucky for three temples in a row.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh poo poo just learned there's now a Butcher Magician starting path, awesome

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm at a less than 1 in 10 success rate with Perk Lottery. Garbage-tier perk for me personally.

I think I've taken it twice and the first time it procced three times in a row, the second time four times in a row. Seemed bugged to me tbh, given four times in a row I'm more than 96% confident the true probability of proc is in fact more than 50% (assuming ignorant uniform prior)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Perk lottery is the worst thing ever. It never works with perks I actually want. :mad:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had decent luck with perk lottery, honestly :shrug: Hell, the first time I won I managed to grab every perk that wasn't actively detrimental for the last two or three stages

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Perk lottery is cool and fun but ehhhhh from a balance perspective it's an incredibly swing-y item, one run you take it you'll get unlucky and get no additional perks and the next run you've got 12 perks by the time you hit ice caverns. It's completely trivialized the game for me half the time I've taken it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you using the Lukki Perk Enhanced mod? I find it incredibly useful. There are simply not all that many wide open spaces, so the biggest drawback is really not much of one. The biggest advantage, though? It's not hanging from ceilings, it's being able to move in any direction equally quickly. You can dodge things you normally never would, I think getting hit doesn't make drop off of walls and many ground-based enemies just can't even hit you at all because you can stand tippy-spidertoes right above their maximum lunge height.

Super useful, super fun.

No. Just the vanilla release notes mentioned in this announcement and in the release notes page in the game itself mentioned it, and I cannot figure out how to use it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

jaete posted:

I think I've taken it twice and the first time it procced three times in a row, the second time four times in a row. Seemed bugged to me tbh, given four times in a row I'm more than 96% confident the true probability of proc is in fact more than 50% (assuming ignorant uniform prior)
Time for someone's wrong on the internet and ohgodwhyamidiggingintoforgottenknowledge :gizz:

I mean, I guess technically a binomial 4/4 draw on a uniform beta prior β~(1,1) results in a posterior β~(1+4,1) with mean 0.83, SD 0.14 resulting in 0.5 being outside a (very raw) 95% interval, but the bayes factor over 0.5 model is just 2.6

Now 7/7 for a β~(8,1) would give a "strong" factor of 14.2, but all it takes is 7/8 to murder the strength of the evidence (drops bayes factor to 0.36)

Also we starting with a non-informative prior when we have what should be a strong prior. Even a prior β~(2,2) kills all of this.

This ends today's :spergin:

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 30, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

lurksion posted:

Time for someone's wrong on the internet and ohgodwhyamidiggingintoforgottenknowledge :gizz:

I mean, I guess technically a binomial 4/4 draw on a uniform beta prior β~(1,1) results in a posterior β~(1+4,1) with mean 0.83, SD 0.14 resulting in 0.5 being outside a (very raw) 95% interval, but the bayes factor over 0.5 model is just 2.6

Now 7/7 for a β~(8,1) would give a "strong" factor of 14.2, but all it takes is 7/8 to murder the strength of the evidence (drops bayes factor to 0.36)

Also we starting with a non-informative prior when we have what should be a strong prior. Even a prior β~(2,2) kills all of this.

This ends today's :spergin:

I like when the video game thing gives me lots of feel good moments

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GenericOverusedName posted:

No. Just the vanilla release notes mentioned in this announcement and in the release notes page in the game itself mentioned it, and I cannot figure out how to use it.

You can jetpack forever if the legs are touching a wall, on the trade-off of you can't jetpack at all without a wall near you.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

lurksion posted:

Yeah you're right, the sample size is not big enough here. However my thinking was it wouldn't surprise me if perk lottery was just bugged (it's a prerelease game after all), so on that basis I'm not sure a (2,2) or stronger prior is appropriate

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright guys, I get it, no more math, lol.

Shima Honnou posted:

You can jetpack forever if the legs are touching a wall, on the trade-off of you can't jetpack at all without a wall near you.
Yeah, that's what it does. Now that I check, though, I can't figure out what the "new control scheme" is, either. It doesn't seem to be described anywhere.

I recommend just using that mod, anyway. It makes the whole easy to use and much more fun. It's very intuitive.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Projectile repulsion field knocks away the new barrier spell projectiles which is cool. I also didn't know it made black holes fly away from you at the speed of light either!

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
To continue the discussion last page about modifiers, I'm pretty sure they do go multiple layers deep with multicast? I had a wand with damage field, triple cast, two triple shots, qudruple cast, 4 triple shots and everything seemed to be firing with damage field applied, or at the very least I'm pretty sure there were more than six damage fields flying around. Later on I had heavy shot on too, and the projectiles the wand spewed out all moved slow, rather than the first two triple shots moving slow and the next stack going at normal speed with no damage field or heavy shot.

In other news, not that it would surprise anyone, I love a wand with lots of triple shots and damage field, plus anything to improve the damage further. I've had that multiple times and every time it's gotten me to the end reliably, as long as I haven't been an idiot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I could swear the last time I tried this, it only works when you use the type of multicast that looks like two or more playing cards, because those actually mean "cast at the same time" instead of just "cast after the current spell is done." The latter ones are those that look like spreading lines.

Are we maybe talking about different things there?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Nah I'm pretty sure the multicast, scatter shot, and formation mods all propogate modifiers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Major Helper posted:

as long as I haven't been an idiot.

But that's half the fun!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Major Helper posted:

In other news, not that it would surprise anyone, I love a wand with lots of triple shots and damage field, plus anything to improve the damage further. I've had that multiple times and every time it's gotten me to the end reliably, as long as I haven't been an idiot.

I haven't gotten to play with damage field much, but triple shot is a ridiculously good spell. It has a decent mana:damage ratio, the shots can dig through powders, and I'm pretty sure every individual shot gets full benefit from preceding projectile modifiers, effectively tripling the value of a damage+ or heavy shot modifier.

I had a wand that was spark bolt with trigger -> double heavy shot -> seven triple shots, and the heavy shot modifiers alone (+44 damage, as I recall) mean that it had a damage potential of around 2k per shot. This, on a wand you could freely spam at fairly high speed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dyzzy posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure the multicast, scatter shot, and formation mods all propogate modifiers.
I'll have to try that again, then, because I specifically remember that I had problems with a Fire Trail modifier not being passed along. I also used Trigger spells that time, though, so maybe that was the problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll have to try that again, then, because I specifically remember that I had problems with a Fire Trail modifier not being passed along. I also used Trigger spells that time, though, so maybe that was the problem.

Trigger spells will stop propagation, as I understand it. If you put damage+ before the trigger spell, then that spell will deal more damage, but the spells it casts won't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cardiovorax posted:

I could swear the last time I tried this, it only works when you use the type of multicast that looks like two or more playing cards, because those actually mean "cast at the same time" instead of just "cast after the current spell is done." The latter ones are those that look like spreading lines.

Are we maybe talking about different things there?

Those all work for carrying spell modifiers through. They do the same thing, only shooting the spells in different directions.
The one thing that doesn't work is triggers. So if you add damage field to a "spark bolt with trigger", and then you have sawblade after the trigger, only the spark bolt gets the damage field modifier. Mods don't carry over through triggers.
However, you can do "spark bolt w/trigger, damage field, doublecast, sawblade, doublecast, sawblade, doublecast, sawblade, sawblade", and that will work. All of the sawblades in the multicasts will inherit that damage field mod.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So, uh, today's daily run is a lightning witch, with explosion immunity available in the first set of perks, and a 9x nuke wand in the fungal caverns. :shepface:

EDIT: and if you reroll the perks after the coal pits you can get Glass Cannon. :ohdear:

EDIT 2: in any other game this would be cause for massive celebration:

...but I'm in "nuke my way to victory" mode so uh, I guess it's nice for mopping up stragglers?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 30, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Those all work for carrying spell modifiers through. They do the same thing, only shooting the spells in different directions.
The one thing that doesn't work is triggers. So if you add damage field to a "spark bolt with trigger", and then you have sawblade after the trigger, only the spark bolt gets the damage field modifier. Mods don't carry over through triggers.
However, you can do "spark bolt w/trigger, damage field, doublecast, sawblade, doublecast, sawblade, doublecast, sawblade, sawblade", and that will work. All of the sawblades in the multicasts will inherit that damage field mod.
I clearly need to experiment more with how multicasts in general stack, because I could've sworn you just can't even do that to begin with.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I got that combo and sadly it didn't seem to work at all. The barriers were still totally stationary.
Interestingly, the projectile-speed-up modifier caused the barrier to spread out wider, but that wasn't especially helpful.

drat

i love how stupidly dangerous they are and wanted them to be mobile

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

and then one of the sawblades ricochets and hits you and you die

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: you know how nuke spells loosen the ceiling so it can drop rubble on your head and kill you? That rubble is nowhere near as tough as the original material, and can be blasted by anything that can destroy rock. Like, say, a Concentrated Light spell on a witch that took two (sadly non-stacking, as far as I can tell) Glass Cannon perks.

I've tunneled my way up out of the final room, through the volcanic lake (hooray, freeze field!), and back to the Temple of the Art. Any bets on if I can do the Tower with only 1HP and an extra life?

EDIT: nope, spent almost all my resources just finding the drat place, then died halfway up to a crystal. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cardiovorax posted:

I clearly need to experiment more with how multicasts in general stack, because I could've sworn you just can't even do that to begin with.

Multicast counts as "a spell". If you have a triple cast card inside your wand, you can put 3 spells after it. Any of those three "spells" could actually be more multicast cards, up to the limit of your wand's number of spell slots and its mana capacity.

The other slightly-confusing thing about how it works is that it's depth-first. Multicast mods later in the list are "greedy". So if you have a spell set up like this, where the four colors represent some arbitrary spells:

The doublecast mod will grab the two right after it, and from then then on it'll effectively count as one spell whose effects are "cast the red spell and the green spell".
Then the triplecast mod grabs the whole doublecast-block as its first "spell", and its next two spells are whatever's left after doublecast has taken what it wanted.

You can also think of it like a stack of effects, like in Magic the Gathering. You play a triplecast card and it says "draw three cards and play them". First draw: you draw a doublecast card and it says "draw two cards and play them". So you draw and play the red card, and then the green one. Then the doublecast card is done, so you discard it and go back to the triplecast card you were in the middle of playing. That still has two draws left on it, so you draw and play the blue card (which is now on the top of the deck), then you draw and play the purple card.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I see, thanks. I couldn't make it work when I tried so I came to the conclusion that standard multicast spells just stack that way. I was using the ones with "shotgun" type of spread effect, if that makes any difference, but apparently it shouldn't.